[Wolfs16's Tau Log] The ARC-16's (COMPLETE)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Wolfs16
Fio'El

Re: [Wolfs16's Tau Log] The ARC-16's (Updated 7-26-10)

Post#571 » Jul 28 2010 10:51

Thanks Phoatu! I'm glad you are liking the direction it is taking. On that note...

So here is some painting progress on the Hammerhead. Highlighting is still needed, so don't judge it too harshly. There is a lot of red on this tank and I want that represent the fluff behind the crew. These guys are veterans and have survived things that should have killed them several times. They have earned their marks and are proud of them. What do you guys think of this initial placement? If I'm gonna change anything, now's the time!

Oh and just because, here is a current army shot:

Click on the picture to zoom in!

Null
Fio

Re: [Wolfs16's Tau Log] The ARC-16's (Updated 7-28-10)

Post#572 » Jul 29 2010 01:11

Hey Wolfs16

It's looking pretty good! I like the red :crafty: .

Now; the SMS .... I'm not sure. They look as if they are just tacked on there. I know you said you liked them but it's the one part of the model I'm not sold on ......

Also, were you planing on greenstuffing the panels above the sealed hatch?

- null
Last edited by Null on Jul 29 2010 10:08, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfs16
Fio'El

Post#573 » Jul 29 2010 09:25

Okay, well what do you guys think would be a better way to mount it? I attached them there because I will later be using the large Burst Cannons and I wanted a clear place to mount them.

Null
Fio

Post#574 » Jul 29 2010 09:51

Hey Wolfs16

Now that I look at it more, maybe it doesn't have to move. If you were to paint some parts of it red, it might kinda' blend a bit better (?).

- null

Militant.Jester
Shas

Post#575 » Jul 29 2010 09:38

Just an idea:

Why I think the SMS looks kind of "off:" You basically have 7 different "parts" sticking out of the main hull - four thrusters, the turret, and two SMS. The transition between the thrusters and the hull is seamless, but you can still see it because the thrusters are much more square than the hull and because they are at such a sharp angle..
That is too much for Tau Tanks! They are meant to be smoother than that.

So, I think the best way to make the SMS look "on" is too integrate it with the hull. The best way (IMHO) would be to either make a row of missiles on the hull somehow, maybe even curving from top to side in the same spot it is currently, or better yer, put it on the turret somehow.

Neither of these options would work well with burst cannons. :? But I'm sure you, of all people, would be able to come up with a suitable X-Weapon.

BUT! If YOU like it the way it is, KEEP it that way! It's you're army; you don't need to listen to us.
What is it that you like and dislike about the current setup?
Ni neart go cur le cheile::Cadre Log Activating...

Wolfs16
Fio'El

Post#576 » Jul 29 2010 09:56

Null:
I honestly think that after the paint is all on and the Tua markings are made things will look a lot better. But that's a good idea about adding red. As for the panels: no, I am going to leave them as is; although a may smooth out the edges a bit. I plan on adding some cool things to the sides that will act as kill markers. But I have to experiment a bit first.

Militant.Jester:
Good call on the SMS. I see your point now about the break up in the hulls flow. What if a angled them to match the back engines? That would be keeping with the flow, wouldn't it? Something like this maybe:

It would require I do more cutting and add a few other things, but it could work...

As for what I like about the setup is that it keeps the SMS in a good, high firing position without interfering with the Railgun. Also, having it on the sides reminds me of the XV81 with the side mounted SMS launchers. I agree that maybe attaching them closer to the hull might be better, but I honestly don't want to do the work! :D But when the tank is fully kitted out, I really like how it looks! It is supposed to be a heavy beast and it reflects the grizzled vets inside. These are the guys who would go into combat with 20 guns strapped to their bodies and I wanted the tank to reflect that.

To put it simply, my background stories really effect the way the model will be made.

Militant.Jester
Shas

Post#577 » Jul 29 2010 10:01

Ooh, like your thinking Wolf. That does look good.

Also, I like that you are thinking about kill counters. What do you have in mind for the actual design?
Ni neart go cur le cheile::Cadre Log Activating...

Null
Fio

Post#578 » Jul 29 2010 10:11

Hey
Militant.Jester wrote:BUT! If YOU like it the way it is, KEEP it that way! It's you're army; you don't need to listen to us.
TOTALLY AGREE!! Its your call Wolfs16.

Yet again I find myself agreeing with Militant.Jester :P. I can't wait to see the Kill markers, it's a sweet idea.

Your angled SMS looks better IMO. Can we get some shots of her (the tank) on an angle?

- null

Wolfs16
Fio'El

Post#579 » Jul 29 2010 10:18

No idea how to do the kill markers! I want it to represent big game kills though. I'm talking Bio-titans. The crew of the "Assassin" (that's the code name for it) doesn't play around. They have been responsible for the deaths of several big beasties and they want to show it. So I ask the question to my faithful readers:

What kills markers do you think you'd see on a tank crewed by grizzled veterans?

Remember that the ARC-16's are unconventional, so I'm not opposed to anything.

EDIT:
Here is my first idea for repositioning it.

Thoughts? I think that I need to file down the mounts that are connected to the sides a bit.

Null
Fio

Post#580 » Jul 29 2010 10:44

Hey

IMO Silhouettes would be sweet. Silhouettes of kills, much easier now that you are only marking larger kills (I'd hate for you to have to paint all the silhouettes of genestealers and rippers this thing has run over :P )

Or a single colored stripe for each slain foe .......

Image of a Railgun Slug for each slain foe ....... kinda like this

And if your beginning to dread the detail painting this is going to take, look at this guy's deal..... You don't realize the full scope of this 'till you see his fingers in comparison.

EDIT: Would you mount them here:

- null

Return to “Project Logs”