[Wolfs16's Tau Log] The ARC-16's (COMPLETE)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Militant.Jester
Shas

Re: [Wolfs16's Tau Log] The ARC-16's (Updated 7-28-10)

Post#581 » Jul 29 2010 10:50

The infamous Koto bits again? :P

Anyways, looks pretty good I think.
Are you going to "gem-ify" the purple bits on the tank?
Ni neart go cur le cheile::Cadre Log Activating...

Wolfs16
Fio'El

Post#582 » Jul 29 2010 11:11

Actually what I used is chopped up Ion Cannon. Like a hunter I use every last part of model I cut up. :D

I will put the kill markings on the panels you mentioned Null. I was thinking of using this tutorial from Sholto with some Tyranid silhouettes. Maybe that is way to much work though....

Oh and the purple parts will absolutely get gem and lens effects. Just laying down a basecoat!

Militant.Jester
Shas

Post#583 » Jul 29 2010 11:19

Oh come on man, considering how much you've put into your army I would not call anything too much work!
*Looks at tutorial*
Oh.. that tutorial... :eek:
Wait, did he and PidGinRat do the same thing?
I think that would look great on your models. Do it for the fans! :P

Oh and the purple parts will absolutely get gem and lens effects. Just laying down a basecoat!

Good to hear. ;)
Ni neart go cur le cheile::Cadre Log Activating...

mangozac
Kor

Post#584 » Jul 30 2010 04:13

Hey Wolfy, just wanted to drop a line and comment how awesome the Hammerhead is turning out. The increased footprint of the chassis has really helped even things up with the larger railgun! The engine layout you've ended up with looks great.

Are you using a brighter grey to highlight the grey armour panels these days? I feel that it is a little too bright, looking less like a highlight and more like a deliberate separate colour. If you want an extreme highlight you really need to do it in a couple of stages so it's a bit more gradual.

Keep up the great work mate!

Peregrine
Kor

Post#585 » Jul 30 2010 05:07

I think the latest picture is a step in the right direction. IMO, what you should do is remove the top two vents on the side of the back engines, then move the engines back just a bit so that the space where the vents used to be lines up with those bits you have holding the SMS on. Then add a similar bit between the engines and the hull, so they aren't just glued directly onto it. With that giving you a bracket thingy holding it all together, you can then mount the SMS on top of the whole thing like you have it now.

donpino
Shas

Post#586 » Jul 30 2010 09:00

The hammerhead is looking very nice by now!! Excellent job... can't imaging the amount of time you spend on it so far. :eek: It is looking like a real fireplatform. GW's hammerhead look like a fish... with a big gun. Yours look like a skimmer tank, armed and ready to destroy!

I'll have to agree with Mango about the painting though. Especially now that you have put this much will and work into converting the model.
Are you trying to make it apear as if theres an additional recess in the plating? If not, I wouldnt use black wash to make it appear darker (You might not be, but it looks like it). Use a darker grey instead (Not as dark as the one you have used, if that's what you have done). Also, do not apply highlights over it. I think the highlights make it appear as if theres a gab in the plating (which I know there isn't), even more than the dark shading. Just thinking it looks a little off.

The above is just what I would do, if you wont... then don't!! I have no doubt this will look very good once finished.

Those.

What do you have to say in your defence!?! :evil:

Wolfs16
Fio'El

Post#587 » Jul 30 2010 11:23

Peregrine:
Your idea for engine mounting is interesting, but a little hard to understand without visuals. I will have to play with it when I get home.

Mango & Don:
Thank you both for the compliment! I'm glad you guys are liking it.

Let me make one thing clear, I am using the exact same color to highlight as I've used on the whole army. I honestly think the picture is making it appear brighter than it is. Also, the highlighting I've done is not finished, so give it time.

As for the additional shading in the recesses, there are lines there that seperate parts of the hull. I am still in the process of painting, so give it time. If you look at my Devilfish you will see that I did not shade that second center panel, but on my Skyray I did. I think it looks better when it's shaded.

Again, remember that this is not a painting update and still has more work needed.

Thank you everyone for your ideas! I still have ways to go and I cannot wait to get this guy done!

Any other ideas on what I can do for kill markers on the vehicle?

Peregrine
Kor

Post#588 » Jul 30 2010 11:38

Peregrine wrote:Something like this:

Pretty much once you're done, the front part of the engine (where the vents are/were), the main hull, and the bracket holding them together should look like one continuous part. The front engines follow this idea really well, where the back ones look unfinished, the front set blend smoothly into the hull like they were part of the original design.

ruhaha2
Shas

Post#589 » Jul 30 2010 02:16

Wolfs16 The tank looks great, it has that look of raw power that Tau firepower should have :fear: . I like the look of the Ion cannon piece over the back engines it bring everything together I think. For the smart missles though, I wonder if mounting them underneath the chassis up front between the engines and the senser nose would look better. Just a thought.

For the kill markers I would suggest being simple, make small drawings of each type of Titan ( Spider for biotitan, and stick figures for impiral titan and orc stampa) with dashes under them for amount killed. Or just do the the little figures for each kill. Maybe that's a little more complex than I thought :-? . Oh well good luck as you continue.

Wolfs16
Fio'El

Post#590 » Aug 27 2010 06:43

Oh man, it has been awhile! Well I want everyone to know that I have not been idle. I have been working on my competition entry for the past few weeks and I am very proud of how it has come along. Unfortunatley, you all will have to wait to see it next week! In the meantime though, here is the progress on my Hammerhead!

Okay, so I have used green stuff to mount the back engines. It is really shiny right now since it still is wet and has some Vaseline on it. This is my third layer and still needs a bit more smoothing out. One more layer and then I will do a little filing and I should be all done with the mounting.

As for the SMS:

I removed the shield bits I used to mount the SMS before and connected it directly to the engine mounts. I think it is much smoother.

I also need to remove the last little engine oval since it is getting in the way of the new mounts. Should I just smooth it out attach something else there?

Return to “Project Logs”