[WIP] Sa'cea Hunter Cadre, Koriolis Contingent [Pic Heavy]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Kobal
Shas

[WIP] Sa'cea Hunter Cadre, Koriolis Contingent [Pic Heavy]

Post#1 » Nov 12 2009 04:55

Hello everyone,

This is my first post (bar the introductions). I am a little apprehensive about posting some images of my army, especially in light of the formidable talents of many painters around here. However, I am proud of them in my own little way, so it's exciting too! Be gentle with me ;)

I decided to create a Bork'an cadre for fluff reasons, and as I was apparently feeling unimaginative that day, went ahead and copied the colour scheme in the codex.

I am struggling with this colour scheme however. A combination that (I think) works well on firewarriors, does not work quite as well on battlesuits and vehicles. The space wolves grey is more powder blue in my opinion, and while providing a good clean look and looking quite snazzy with the green sept markings, it does not go well with the codex grey secondary colour on anything but the firewarriors - the contrast at a distance is just not high enough for the suits. So what do use?

I am painting a SDT for a campaign (500pt, combat patrol rules to start with), and trying to accent each drone with a different colour (regal blue on one, and white on another, rather than the grey) to see how they look, but I'm not sure if I am even on the right track! I thought the more artistically inclined may be able to help me in my anguish and suggest some other shades which would set them off nicely. I have found and played with the colour generation tools listed on this forum, but I have not found them a huge amount of help - wish I had found ATT before I started painting all those months ago! :sad:

These photos are a couple of months old - my camera is currently travelling through Argentina with a friend of mine, so I have no more up to date ones at the moment, but the scheme has not changed, I have just added further models. I will post up a picture of my drone squad as soon as I can scrounge another camera.

Devilfish with pilot
Half completed Firewarrior Team with Shas'ui Kais'eoro (inc shadowsun, and lone battlesuit)
Closeup of Ahrok Rinn and one of his kindred.

Critism and praise are equally welcome and sought, and any opinions on colour scheme would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Kobal (aka Chris)

EDIT: Fixed images.
EDIT 2: Title!
EDIT 3: Title again - Now Sa'cea.
Last edited by Kobal on Apr 09 2013 05:50, edited 5 times in total.

Lone Strike
Shas

Re: Kobal's Bork'an Scout Cadre [WIP] [Pics]

Post#2 » Nov 12 2009 05:04

Good start, its very clean. Post up more pics soon!

Mal'Caor
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Nov 12 2009 06:03

Quite a striking cadre, especially with the black-lining effect in the armour seams. I also like the consistancy you have with the unit markings - it really ties them together. I look forward to seeing more!

O'Shatta Hens
Shas

Post#4 » Nov 12 2009 09:40

This is an awesome paint scheme. Clean and crisp. I'm liking it a lot!

I suggest basing them in a dark color to allow for a strong contrast and "pop" to the models.

hazmatt
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

Post#5 » Nov 12 2009 10:18

LOVE IT. You have eclipsed my own work in every way. That Devilfish is how I wished mine looked.

Kobal
Shas

Post#6 » Nov 16 2009 08:45

Thank you all for the comments, they are very kind. I have been promised the loan of a camera so I will try and get pictures of a few more models this week (Piranha, Sniper Drone Team and Hammerhead at least). My highlighting and brushwork are getting a little better I hope. I only started playing and painting miniatures about three months ago, so it's been a steep learning curve!

@O'Shatta Hens
That's a good idea; on reading that I remembered a pile of shattered slate my parents have in their greenhouse - I'm sure they won't mind if I lift some of the smaller slivers to see how they work as basing scenery! Thanks :)

@Mal'Caor
I've tried to keep the markings consistant as they will be taking part in a long running campaign in the nearish future and wanted each unit to be a seperate force that will accumulate fluff (so to speak) as the campaign goes on. A selection of friends (both from my home town and a couple of old friends from uni who live in various parts of the country) are taking part, so it might run for a long time due to the distance factor. I am very impressed with Wolf16's work, both fluff and models; I think I will be taking a lot of inspiration from his work (b)log(g), specially as regards his beautiful fire warrior team - no tyranid bits to loot in our campaign, but weathering, kill markings, and the occasional trophy will find their way on to my models, i'm sure. There is plenty still to learn!

Again, thanks for the comments; they really made a grim day at work a whole lot sunnier!

~ K

Schnatzke
Shas

Post#7 » Nov 16 2009 10:37

AWESOME!
I'm really impressed by the clean and also beautiful white :)
I'm wondering how you created this effect.
Keep up the great work

-Cheers

Kobal
Shas

Post#8 » Nov 21 2009 08:57

My painted Hammerhead (t'other is still base-coat white)

The composition of my campaign starting army (with some extra models to account for "reinforcments" - campaign rule, nvm :))

A selection of my painted models.

My trusty devilfish pilot stretching his legs, and eating a sandwich?

Slightly repainted devilfish (note the custom decals on the side doors, with altered sept markings)

Kobal
Shas

Post#9 » Nov 21 2009 09:07

Shas'el Bork'an Li'myr - My Cadre Commander for this campaign. Painted him over the course of the week. I quite like him, and I prefer the white accenting to the grey - might try white on my Skyray (my next project).

One thing is that I think I need to highlight with a slightly brighter colour - I need to add more white. It's a little too subtle, but maybe its just this camera.

More of El'Li'myr

The noble El and some of his warriors.

My Piranha attack skimmer/missile boat, piloted by Shas'ui Lynu'var (or "Wedge" as by buddy calls him).

Quite liking how they are all coming along. Am planning to play around with some camouflage ideas for my other Piranha. If they turn out well then I will do a camouflaged section on my Skyray (where the codex grey panels are on my current armour) - I think that will look really striking, especially with the Skyrays missile wing.

That's it from me for now, thanks for looking!

As before, praise or critism/critique is equally welcome.

~K

Novawing
Shas

Post#10 » Nov 21 2009 09:43

Nice work all round! Can't wait to see the SR's!

The snow effect on your bases is impressive, is that the GW "snow" material?

Kobal
Shas

Post#11 » Nov 21 2009 10:04

Hehe, no, its much cheaper than GW snow flock.

About 2 parts water, 1 part PVA, and enough bicarbonate of soda to make it the consistancy of runny ready-brek (it should be runnier than you think). Spread it on, wait 5 minutes and dip it in dry bicarbonate of soda so it looks fluffy. Spray with purity seal or some other spray varnish to seal it. I thought it might go yellow in time, but it looks ok at the moment :)

This is based on a tutorial I found in the net somewhere (I'll look for a link; credit where credit is due).

@Schnatzke
The white is just built up slowly; start with white undercoat, and build up thin layers of watery paint until it's nice and flat. I am not very consistant with it, some of the white goes a little patchy if I don't thin it out enough. Still, learning continues!

edit: I found the link to that snow base tutorial - All credit to Ted Peterson. http://www.dysartes.com/model/modelling/snowbase.php

Kobal
Shas

Post#12 » Feb 05 2010 04:34

With work getting me down more and more of late, I thought I'd award myself some quiet time to build and paint a new ride for my commander in the campaign I am taking part in. And because my mate is such a good sport, and enjoys a hack 'n' slash mini-conversion as much as the next man, I got an unusual decoration for his base - a surprised guardsman! (Whose helmet I have just noticed is chipped... :( )

My highlighting is getting better I think, but for some reason this camera doesn't show it very well, and the models always look much more scruffy than in the flesh (so to speak). Will get some shots in daylight at the weekend, and have another read through the mini-photographing guide, and do a little touching up on the models.

Well, without further rambling, Shas'O Li'Myr and his new suit...

ImageImage

And on top of this I finished my Firestorm Crisis team for said campaign (apart from the team leaders MPs). My brother nicknamed the Angels due to their uncanny way they keep saving me, and cos they can be placed in a Charlie's angels style pose - something I obviously haven't managed here! I think it was intended to be derogatory, but I kinda like it. They are currently enemy number one - they killed two guardsman squads, a whirlwind and put the hurt on Pedro Kantor and his sternguard fan-club last week, so might think about how to represent kills in a suitably tau'y way. Kau'yon bait potential too.

So, Ui'Kais'Eoro and Ui'Ol'Erra..

As a break from painting XV8's I also knocked this out in 15 minute stints over the course of the last couple of weeks.

As usual, comments and critique are welcome, and indeed sought!

~K

EDIT: More fixed pictures.
Last edited by Kobal on Nov 15 2012 07:03, edited 1 time in total.

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#13 » Feb 05 2010 05:30

Good work there!

My trusty devilfish pilot stretching his legs, and eating a sandwich?

You know what? I made a similar Firewarrior Conversion ... and my wife said "look he eats a Sandwich" ... brilliant minds think alike eh?

hazmatt
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

Post#14 » Feb 05 2010 01:09

As always, love your work. I've neglected putting sept markings on my vehicles, but seeing yours makes me think I need to re-visit that and get them updated. I just wish I wasn't so sloppy.

hailstop
Shas

Post#15 » Apr 16 2010 08:37

What color is that darker blue you have in those pics?

Kobal
Shas

Fi'rios Cadre, Koriolis Contingent (+ Bork'an Cadre) [Pics]

Post#16 » Nov 08 2012 07:50

Wow, it has been a long time since I posted anything on here! I lurk a lot, but contributions have been lacking.

Sorry for any unanswered questions left on this dusty old thread, and for the broken photo links. I will try to find the old photos, upload them to G+/Picasa and resurrect them, and answer the questions when I work out to what they are referring!

Life has been a bit up and down in the last year and a bit. I am, however, finally settled, and in a new house with a newly fitted out painting room/loft so I have been returning to some long neglected hobbies, 40k being one of them.

I do still have (most) of my old models, but I have never been sold on the light blue colour scheme.

So I've decided to start a new cadre, tundra themed this time.

A Skyray, repainted from a light blue basecoat. It's not 100% finished, got some markings to add and some custom Fi'rios decals to make and add yet.

Test firewarrior with my buddies tundra themed guard sergeant. He was initially primed in a tamiya grey, and for some reason i had trouble getting the white to cover. Moderately happy with him nonetheless!

Image Image
Thumbnails of my small 'big' project of the month. I decided to enter my local GW store's monthly painting competition. Last months dominated by chaos marines, so I decided to represent for the Greater Good. Added an honour blade from an honour guard ethereal I had lying around, and am now trying my hand at some layering and blending. I will leave it up to you guys who successful I have been so far!

All my inspiration is from you guys on ATT; I have been lurking the painting, project logs and gallery forums for a couple of months looking for ideas and tips!

I have 2 firewarrior teams, an XV81, an XV8, a Piranha and a couple of XV15 stealth suits to paint. Oh, and two Remora's. I hope to have photos dribble in over the next few weeks/months. I am trying my best to improve my painting, so any criticisms are welcome! It isn't easy painting white, so I have been reading a few threads regarding getting a good finish and realistic highlighting.

I also hope you guys won't mind if I throw some fluff in from time to time. Writing is another long neglected hobby, and I feel some of my flair has atrophied in the last 2 years :S
Last edited by Kobal on Jan 31 2013 05:38, edited 2 times in total.

Kobal
Shas

Fi'rios Cadre, Koriolis Contingent (+ Bork'an Cadre) [Pics]

Post#17 » Nov 09 2012 06:29

As usual on a thursday, I got back from a night class with my brain fizzing, so I sat down at about 10pm to do a little painting.

At 1:25am I realised the time. The fruit of my labours is my nearly finished Ethereal! (I am a VERY slow painter).

ImageImage
I tried to add the slight camo pattern to his robe, while maintaining the shading. Cue 15 min panic when I thought I'd ruined him. Still not 100% on it, but I think it's ok.

He's complete enough for me to ponder a name for him, now. Hmm....
Last edited by Kobal on Nov 15 2012 08:09, edited 1 time in total.

warpaint overlord
Shas

Post#18 » Nov 12 2012 06:54

nice stuff man, be careful with that mini, not undercoating tends to mean your paint chips sooner. varnish is your friend :P i like the accent camo, i really like how it works on the tank. that said I'm really not feeling the yellow eyes, but that's your call man :P.

Return to “Project Logs”