Update: Tau Speed Painting - PAGE 18

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Update: Farsight Enforcer XV8 - PAGE 18

Post#343 » Aug 07 2013 02:37

These suit variants are awesome. I absolutely love the design for the Hunter's helmet, even without the grim paint job the shapes are fantastic.

LordDirk wrote:If you have any loadouts you think would make great Farsight Enclave designs, let me know, I may just incorperate them. As it is I want to do one designed around a burst cannon loadout, and of course a Tau Commander suit variant.

My two personal favorite burst cannon loadouts would be Firestorms or Bladestorms - Firestorms are especially good at mulching Ork infantry. However, considering you have variants with missile pods and plasma rifles already I would rule those out.

An Ionstorm or Thunder/Hailstorm build would be interesting to see in your style, but then again a pure burst cannon suit has some cool possibilities too. I know I've wanted to model an XV8-02 with a dual BC and shield generator armature similar to Heavy Arms or a Serpent for myself.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#344 » Aug 07 2013 03:35

This is some of the best design work I've seen to date for a divergent Tau look. I love the rocket pistols on your enforcer suit, they are inspired! Your look is very District 9 with a splash of Mass Effect and yet still have enough design cues to keep them well grounded in the 40k universe, my mind is blown every time I look at this blog! I'd like to see your take on the burst cannon maybe XV9 hazard style?

Cannonfodder
Shas

Post#345 » Aug 07 2013 06:30

its hard to stay focused. The missilepistol is the killer.

Since burstcannons are meant for dealing with orks and Farsight likes to get close: What about putting the guns on the shoulders (Ironman style)? This way you could still choke the orks while serving some dakka.

O'Ka'mesa
Fio

Post#346 » Aug 07 2013 08:00

Is it just me or are the rocket revolvers supposed to look like they where made with bolter components?

Also Lord Dirk have you ever had any ideas concerning drones variants? maybe even infantry based drones?
We must master ourselves before mastering our enemy.

PoisonBladeNL
Shas

Post#347 » Aug 12 2013 03:50

Sneak peek...:p

-PBNL
'Thought I'd try shooting my way out..."

LordDirk
Fio

Post#348 » Aug 13 2013 02:35

To ARC'Thunder: Thanks! I'm not sure what an Ionstorm or a thunder/hailstorm variant is, can you elaborate? I'm still working on designing the commander suit variant which boasts the Cyclic Ion Blaster as an assault rifle.

To Shas'O Darklighter: Thank you very much. The hardest part about these designs is balancing the different influences. I don't want them to look too Gundam or too scrap metal-ish (the orks have that covered); to look distinctively Tau without looking like they are still part of the main army. I'll make a post soon showing my various influences that helped create these various images.

To Cannonfodder: With these battlesuit designs I definitely plan to have weapons in both rifle and shoulder mounted form. Twin linked weapons will be dealt with differently. You can see the twin linked pistols on the enforcer, a twin linked burst cannon may resemble a minigun, and a twin linked fusion blaster may look like a sawed off shotgun.

To O'Ka'mesa: Purely an unintended coincidence, but interesting observation. :) I have, though not infantry based drones. Drones, like the XV15 Stealth suits I imagine may be an old enough design that the Farsight Enclaves could have them within the army without the need to modify them. I'm not sure yet, I'll let you know when something gets off the ole' drafting table here and into a digital format.

To PoisonBladeNL: Looking slick! Can't wait to see more. :)

LordDirk
Fio

Post#349 » Aug 13 2013 09:27

Farsight "Foreign Born":

Foreign Born is a Farsight equivilent concept that would fill the role of Darkstrider or a Shas'ui Pathfinder. Like his Fireblade counterpart, Foreign Born has had to replace some of his limbs with prosthesis. The history behind his name is known only to O'shovah himself and the rest of the eight. Be it literal or symbolic, Foreign Born projects an alien air about him, and is often a loner ever among his most trusted brethren. Most notably different is his extensive use of tattooing, which seems to cover his entire body. His has a brutish and often short way of talking with a thick accent, and those under his command have slowly begun to replicate these behaviors, out of admiration or by some other reasoning. Despite his differences, Foreign Born has proven himself as a competent commander, one who excels at the art of hunting and improvisation.

Farsight O'vesa preview sketches

I am also in the works on an O'vesa riptide design. I'm attempting to merge earth caste visual aspects with that of my Farsight Cadre. The idea is that O'vesa is an old friend of O'shovah and an earth caste member. Therefore I tried to hint that when not in combat the riptide is used as a construction platform for the cadre, and because O'vesa is an earth caste, also known for their artistry as much as their inventions, his suit would be much more ornate than other standard Fire caste riptides. The overall design is that of a towering Tau Buddha and Construction Crane mixed together, a huge hulking engineering masterpiece with a white porcelain mask and a glowing cybernetic eye where the tau 'slit' goes.

Just an idea... still working out the kinks.

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Update: Farsight "Foreign Born" and O'Vesa - PAGE 18

Post#350 » Aug 14 2013 09:48

I love this collection of work. It does not match what I am doing, but it makes me think of what I am doing in a new light. Great work.

I really want to see your approach from art to function in shifting a firewarrior to a Farsight firewarrior.

Also, what would be your take on a disruption pattern for Rust desert (the planet Farsight defended)?

Current Farsight suits I am using.

3 Double Mpod - Taros versions
1 Dual BC
The 8
Riptide - IA

I feel the Riptide would work very well with your modular approach to armor for making the functioning custom.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

O'Ka'mesa
Fio

Post#351 » Aug 19 2013 08:56

Probably just coincidence but there was a man named william adams he was one of the first europeans to visit Japan as well as achieve the status of a Samurai. The coincidence comes from the fact that in Japan he was known as the Foreign Born.

LordDirk
Fio

Post#352 » Aug 24 2013 09:21

To O'Ka'mesa: Interesting, I hadn't heard of that. Brings some interesting inspiration for further back-story exploration with this character. :)

In other news:

Hello all, I wanted to make a preemptive update to let you know that things may be slowing down a bit on this project log again. I've been contracted to work on a fighting game, and to complete it in time I am needing to spend 66 hrs a week on it. It pays well, but sucks up all my free time.

When I do get some free time next I will be exploring unique battlesuit configurations for "The Eight" from the Farsight Enclaves. Thank you all for the continued support and feedback, it's what makes this worth doing. :)

Al'tyr
Shas

Post#353 » Jan 12 2014 05:31

Just a quick post of a WIP (one that has taken months and months to collect pieces for).

My attempt at demiurg, sadly the crystal plague variations didn't come out too well, but rest seemed ok.

http://altyr.blogspot.com/2014/01/a-lit ... iends.html

LordDirk
Fio

Post#354 » Jul 19 2014 06:25

To Al'tyr: That's some cool mods right there. :) Thank you for sharing!

I aint dead!

As you know I've been working on multiple projects as a freelance animator as of late, but don't think I haven't been lurking on this site from time to time. :) I still have a lot of love for Tau and you guys. To prove that I'm still meddling about with Tau stuff, here's a digital speed painting I did for my new avatar.

O'Ka'mesa
Fio

Re: Update: Tau Speed Painting - PAGE 18

Post#355 » Jul 19 2014 11:41

Hey Dirk welcome back, always good to see ya and as always looking forward to seeing more!

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#356 » Jul 20 2014 07:28

It is good to know that you are still here!

And your work is still amazing.

Paintee
Shas

Post#357 » Sep 01 2014 09:43

OMG, YOU'RE BACK!!!!!!!! I have been a great admirer of your work, and I love your Farsight Concept Art, yet I was wondering one thing; could you actually make miniatures of all your concept art? I would give lots of encouragement, as would many others, and it would be interesting to see your models and how they turned out in comparison to the concept art.
What is this "Me-lee" you speak of?

Myrdin
Shas

Post#358 » Sep 01 2014 10:30

Very nice designs, you can see both great creativity and phantasy behind them.
Thanks for sharing those with us :)

LordDirk
Fio

Post#359 » Sep 03 2014 02:46

Thank you all for the kind words. :) My apologies for not posting much, life has been rather hectic (in a good way) as of late. I've been rushing to complete animations for two video games set to release soon, as well as a variety of freelance work I do on the side. Once these are squared away I will be back with lots more Tau ideas.

Thank you for your patience!

Icknaybob
Shas'Saal

Post#360 » Oct 19 2014 03:47

Love your work! Has any of it made it into plastic form?

Return to “Project Logs”