Update: Tau Speed Painting - PAGE 18

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
ruhaha2
Shas

Re: Update: Tael and Dirk - PAGE-16

Post#307 » Jan 05 2012 03:23

In a way what makes this community so great is the fact that each is inspired by the other.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#308 » Jan 07 2012 11:22

Completely agree with Ruhaha, we have a strong conceptual group and modellers willing to try out the mad ideas generated on ATT.

I think this is actually the first rendering of my ATT persona by another artist :D Always liked your pen style and great to see your impression of the Fio working together. I think I'm wearing my boots under the robes in this image, helps when dealing with Pshar (Kor) and Tonka (Shas), both being quite taller than myself.

I have been reviewing Asian hair styles, a month or so back; seeing your scalp lock along the cranium is very cool and reminded me of that. Might just do this version for my next Shas'ui model! :D

- Tael.

Fio Kais´Caor
Shas

Post#309 » Jan 11 2012 04:55

Welcome back and love your work :)

I have been following your log for some time now, and it is very inspirational. I like how you have captured the savageness in your Tau's and it got me to start a little side project for my cadre ( I'll show them when they are finished)

Keep up the good work :)
"Earth caste Fio´Caor"
Visit my album!

LordDirk
Fio

Post#310 » Oct 30 2012 07:53

Farsight Pathfinder Concept

Spending years on end in a war against the orks can do something to a Shas'la...

This is a concept I've been toying with for awhile, and decided to finally sketch down in a more complete fashion. I'm working on creating an entire Farsight Cadre based on these concepts. I wanted each unit to be very unique and distinct. For the pathfinders I wanted something strong, but also look a bit malnourished. The idea is that these guys spend a long time ahead of the main army, surviving on very little supplies and always needing to remain aware of their surroundings. An alternate version features the often used disc shaped hat, the idea is that they can hunker down in the sand with the hat covering most of their body and arise again from the ground when the threat has passed.

Expect future concepts of fire warriors, stealth suits, hammerheads, and more in the future.

Tastyfish
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Update: Farsight Pathfinder - PAGE-16

Post#311 » Oct 31 2012 09:36

Love your drawings, I've been sorely tempted to do a Farsight Enclave based off them for a while, after seeing the initital skull tattoo'd Ork hunter.

Not sure if it was intentional, but the Dark Eldar Mandrakes could be a perfect base for your pathfinders, they've got the same style robes and scrawny frame.

SparkSovereign
Shas

Post#312 » Nov 01 2012 10:28

That pathfinder drawing makes me feel they earn their scout move the same way the Black Templars do; "I hate you SO MUCH I'm just going to start moving forward. I'll stop when I'm dead." Great job.

O'Ka'mesa
Fio

Post#313 » Nov 15 2012 02:27

I really like the warpaint, I've been messing with some ideas for Kroot warpaint that would match the markings used by Tau Firewarriors and this image is perfect inspiration. Can't wait to see more and as always great job! :D
We must master ourselves before mastering our enemy.

warpaint overlord
Shas

Post#314 » Nov 20 2012 12:23

awesome stuff in here man, do you mind if i steal some of your ideas? ill post up the final products here if you would like?

LordDirk
Fio

Post#315 » Apr 11 2013 10:08

My lord has it been awhile! Sorry lads, work has been keeping me super busy. But anyhoo, onto the doodle explination!

^^Pictured Above^^ is my concept for a Farsight Enclave Fire Warrior. I really like how O'shovah's new model sports a more blocky look. His battlesuit looks not only customized, but as if it was customized from dated Tau technology, which works well with his backstory. I wanted to apply this idea to the rest of his enclave.

The FireWarrior]we see here sports older versions of the Tau's signature helmet, rifle, and padding designs. The armor has been stripped down to just the basic necessities. The helmet still has all the advanced optics capabilities of the traditional Fire Warrior helmet, but the older technology requires more space to function and thus communication circuitry has to be migrated elsewhere, in this case the backpack. The boots replace the usual 3 toed design for a singular hoof, similar to the ones on O'shovah's battlesuit.

This Pulse Rifle design is less fuel efficient than the standard rifle most Fire Warriors of the empire receive and thus requires a larger amount of ammo packs for the same amount of sustainability. The materials that make up the weapons frame as well as support the Fire Warriors armor plating, are less refined and considerably heavier. Some Farsight enclave warriors sport Eldar-esc blades as bayonets or bonding knives, a stark contrast to the squaheavy bulky tau technology they wear. Heavy cloth ponchos help keep sand and dust out of the circuitry in their breastplates, as well as sealing off the bottoms of their helmets.

Many of these Farsight Enclave Warriors have witnessed multiple Ork assaults, and some have even survived a Waagh. While they retain the marksmanship mentality of their traditional fire warrior brethren, these seasoned soldiers have learned the benefits to keeping a blade under the cloak; Orks have a way of getting in close, even against the firepower of a Tau army. The concept of "the greater good" takes on new meanings within the squads of the Farsight enclave. It is no longer an abstract ideal, a vague notion of a paradise worth fighting for, it is the willingness to sacrifice ones life for the survival of his squad, for the betterment of the Cadre. To be a Farsight fire warrior is to be a brother, one who's loyalty to his comrades has been tested through battle and blood.

O'Ka'mesa
Fio

Re: Update: Farsight Fire Warrior - PAGE-16

Post#316 » Apr 12 2013 02:37

Oh it kind of looks like a Tau bounty hunter, I like it! Great to have you back Lord Dirk, as always great job and I can't wait to see more. Actually I was thinking about this the other day and am just curious, you haven't by chance done any concepts for Vespid have you?

tehlegend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#317 » Apr 12 2013 02:45

Just worth pointing out now that farsight is no longer picky with his allies now. He can be taken with kroot and vespid if he really wants... so having said that, what happens to the Tau when they are no longer trying to 'enlighten' their auxiliaries, but rather become influenced by them? :P

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#318 » Apr 12 2013 03:28

I don't recall him ever being opposed to using auxiliaries. In fact, sub-commander Bluestar fighting in a previous campaign on Kronos said that the use of Vespid and Kroot auxiliaries in conjunction with Crisis teams were largely developed during his time serving Farsight.

I always thought the reason he wasn't allowed them for the same reason he was limited with the rest of the FoC- too far away from the Empire.
~Good Hunting

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#319 » Apr 12 2013 04:54

Great layiout for your art graphic Dirk.. and.. LordDirk! Oh my Aun!.. huzzah :D Glad to see you sketching about the Orbital again.. :biggrin:

So good to see you about again, missed your expressive style.

LordDirk
Fio

Post#320 » Apr 12 2013 12:00

To O'Ka'mesa: Thanks! I haven't actually done any vespid designs to my knowledge. I'm definitely open to them. I haven't had a Tau codex though since the first one, so I'm unaware of their strengths and weaknesses, although I've seen many a complaint about them as a unit. I'd have to read up more on them when I get the time as most of my ideas spawn from some sort of utility or niche I think might be useful in the Tau army.

To: tehlegend: Beacause of O'shovah's Dawn Blade I have been contemplating creating some Eldar allies for this Farsight Cadre. The story behind them revolves around the Eldar offering aid to the Farsight enclave under false pretenses, hoping to attain the source of the Dawn Blade (and some other eldar-esc weaponry I've designed for this cadre) and perhaps even 'neutralize' O'shovah if need be. However they soon find themselves just as trapped as their Tau 'Allies' against the Ork horde, and end up helping one another for reasons of survival with their original goal still at the back of their minds.

To Fio'O Tael: *Salutes* Don't worry sir, I could never give up my work for the Greater good! ;) In all seriousness I have had the itch for some time, but work has been keeping me busy, what with two video game releases in just a month, and a plethora of commercial work. Now that I've had some free time, and the new Codex was released, I just had to revisit my Farsight Enclave ideas. I may not be the best fabricator Fio, but I hope that my designs and blueprints can help better the Cadre, and the greater good of all Tau! Pleasure to be back, and I hope to post more frequently from now on. :)

LordDirk
Fio

Post#321 » Apr 21 2013 08:00

Farsight FireBlade V01:

Here we see the Farsight Enclave version of the Tau Fireblade. The entire Farsight Enclave is made up of grizzled Fire Warrior veterans, where loyalty is earned through battle and sacrifice. Those who raise to the rank of Fireblade are some of the most respected and revered soldiers in the enclave. A Farsight Fireblade has a grim zen like deminer about him, his face never changing his mind always calculating. He has learned patience and precision, and knows exactly when and where to place the perfect shot to cripple almost any assaulting force. Many equip themselves with modified holo-projectors that can be turned on when the troops need rallying, and many cybernetic augments or limb replacements as years of fighting orks has a way of reducing your arm and leg count.

^^ Pictured above ^^, is the first Version of the farsight Enclave Fireblde. This is the more standard version of the Fireblade. Also within the Enclave, and soon to be drawn, is the Ork Fighter Fireblade; a half mad half brilliant fire warrior who has taught his brethren the art of killing with a blade and can surprise assaulting enemies with unique Tau cc tactics.

Thank you all for the kind comments, I hope you enjoy!

Arc'Aroth
Gue

Re: Update: Farsight FireBlade - PAGE-17

Post#322 » Apr 21 2013 08:06

is that... is that a peg leg?

that is amazing

O'Ka'mesa
Fio

Post#323 » Apr 22 2013 12:15

As always it's good to see more of your work LordDirk. I like the direction you've gone with the rifles lately, it's honestly different then anything I've ever seen but now that I think about it the weapon reminds me of the rifles shown in artwork for the Barsoom series which has always been a favorite of mine. I love the war paint and given that my personal Shas'o has fairly extensive bionics it's rather cool to see your interpretation of Tau bionics. I had trouble imagining what a Tau leg bionic would look like and a peg leg fits perfectly!

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#324 » Apr 22 2013 02:16

Simply lovely and inspiring!
Played Farsight enclave in the past... now I am considering going back...

Return to “Project Logs”