Update: Tau Speed Painting - PAGE 18

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Re: Update: Farsight FireBlade - PAGE-17

Post#325 » Apr 22 2013 04:53

Great :(

now I'll have to give my Fireblade an peg leg ...

Your work is so amazing!

LordDirk
Fio

Post#326 » May 07 2013 10:13

First some replies.

To Arc'Aroth: It is indeed; well a Tau version of one at least.

To O'Ka'mesa: Thanks :) I'm glad you like it. It's been a challenge balancing the Tau's super advanced technology with the pirate and rogues look I wanted to give the Farsight Enclave.

To Vash: Well if you run into any snags while playing the Farsight Enclave let me know, my concepts are designed around problem solving, filling a niche or balancing out the army.

To Che Gue'vesa: Let me know how that goes. :)

Now for some Updates!:

I apologize for not updating as soon as I'd like. I've recently been having to deal with a death in the family, and so that has taken up much of my time and mental capacity. However I do have some ideas that I'd like to begin conceptualizing when I finally get a chance to get a pencil in my hand again. Listed below are just a few, any ideas, suggestions or comments are always welcome!

Tau Allies List: Creating Auxiliary count as units for the various allies the Tau now have. Here are just a few examples
Space Marines - Chensou Warriors
Eldar - Nicassar Hosts
Orks - Demiurg (Crystal Plauged) warriors
Dark Eldar - Hrud Swarm
Sisters of Battle - Naga Soldiers
Necrons - Tau experimental drone army

Farsight Enclave vehicle and unit designs:
Bullhead Gunship - A variant of the hammer head with strong front armor and six fusion blasters, 3 on mounted on each side, and 2 long barreled fusion blasters mounted on a back turret.
Crab Dropship - A variant of the Orca that has uses mechanical arms to hold a container with troops or a tank, and boasts more defensive capabilities and weapon systems.
Plasma Mine - a reusable mine that is actually a drone that stores and charges plasma batteries when it is not in use. When an enemy is close it lifts from the ground and sends a plasma burst 360 degrees around the drone before falling back down into it's holding place to charge again.
Redesigning the Farsight Crisis System.
Farsight Manta Variant - resembling the shape more of a whale than a manta, far larger and with much more defensive weaponry. Farsight Manta's act as homes as well as assault ships, and are far less expendable.

Just some ideas, thanks for taking the time to read this.

BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#327 » May 07 2013 10:51

Hey Dirk! Gotta say I love the bionic limbs on the Farsight fireblade. I think there should actually be lots of firewarriors with bionics, given tau technology and values. I've cobbled together a couple in my army, but of course they don't look nearly as cool as yours.

I wanted to suggest you think about some of the alien species mentioned in the codex for your auxiliaries. The references to client races are spread throughout the codex, but Calmsword made a list of the aliens mentioned on the 6th edition fluff thread:
Aliens:
Thraxians: Multi armed creatures
Greet: from the watery world of Isla'su which they allowed the Earth Caste to create floating factories in turn for protection.
Anthrazods- Sturdy but dim witted, used in mining colonies
Brachyura: Crustaceans that are tiny and used in plasma engine creation
Nagi: Early conflicts on Sha'galudd with the natives, 'mind control worms' they are now advisors to the ethereals.
Isla'su: Greet homeworld in Falshia (they seem really friendly.)

Perhaps one of these might be of use to you. I made a bunch of anthrazopod-inspired insectoid auxiliaries for my army recently, maybe you could come up with some really interesting interpretations of the aliens referenced in our codex.

O'Ka'mesa
Fio

Post#328 » May 07 2013 09:20

LordDirk wrote:First some replies.

To Arc'Aroth: It is indeed; well a Tau version of one at least.

To O'Ka'mesa: Thanks :) I'm glad you like it. It's been a challenge balancing the Tau's super advanced technology with the pirate and rogues look I wanted to give the Farsight Enclave.

To Vash: Well if you run into any snags while playing the Farsight Enclave let me know, my concepts are designed around problem solving, filling a niche or balancing out the army.

To Che Gue'vesa: Let me know how that goes. :)

Now for some Updates!:

I apologize for not updating as soon as I'd like. I've recently been having to deal with a death in the family, and so that has taken up much of my time and mental capacity. However I do have some ideas that I'd like to begin conceptualizing when I finally get a chance to get a pencil in my hand again. Listed below are just a few, any ideas, suggestions or comments are always welcome!

Tau Allies List: Creating Auxiliary count as units for the various allies the Tau now have. Here are just a few examples
Space Marines - Chensou Warriors
Eldar - Nicassar Hosts
Orks - Demiurg (Crystal Plauged) warriors
Dark Eldar - Hrud Swarm
Sisters of Battle - Naga Soldiers
Necrons - Tau experimental drone army

Farsight Enclave vehicle and unit designs:
Bullhead Gunship - A variant of the hammer head with strong front armor and six fusion blasters, 3 on mounted on each side, and 2 long barreled fusion blasters mounted on a back turret.
Crab Dropship - A variant of the Orca that has uses mechanical arms to hold a container with troops or a tank, and boasts more defensive capabilities and weapon systems.
Plasma Mine - a reusable mine that is actually a drone that stores and charges plasma batteries when it is not in use. When an enemy is close it lifts from the ground and sends a plasma burst 360 degrees around the drone before falling back down into it's holding place to charge again.
Redesigning the Farsight Crisis System.
Farsight Manta Variant - resembling the shape more of a whale than a manta, far larger and with much more defensive weaponry. Farsight Manta's act as homes as well as assault ships, and are far less expendable.

Just some ideas, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Dirk I just want to say my condolences for your loss and I wish you and your family the best.

As far as the unit ideas go I'm looking forward to seeing the the Manta variation, maybe call it the Narwhal? On the note of the Chensou (which I've always loved) I've actually been working on a conversion to represent them and will hopefully be able to show them soon. Though some more art depicting them wouldn't hurt ;), and as a suggestion how about representing the Chensou with Space Wolves vs regular Space Marines? I think Grey Hunters rules fit with the role/fluff you've created for the Chensou fairly well.

As always looking forward to your work!

Edit: I remembered reading about a prehistoric whale species awhile back but couldn't remember the name. I did some searching and the beast is known as Levyatan Melvillei. When translated from Hebrew Levyatan means Leviathan and of course Melvillei comes from Herman Melville the writer of Mobi Dick. Anyway the whale was just as large as our modern Sperm Whales and is reputed to have the largest teeth of any animal (largest in the since of teeth used for feeding versus the ornamental "tusks" of a Walrus or Narwhal). So as another idea for the alternate Manta and in referance to this monster of the deep you could simply call it the Leviathan Lander/Dropship?
We must master ourselves before mastering our enemy.

LordDirk
Fio

Sketch Dump Update

Post#329 » Jul 25 2013 10:58

With the recent Farsight Enclaves release I just couldn't keep my pen at bay. I apologize for being vacant for so long, things are super crazy here. But don't think I have lost my love for Tau or the Farsight Enclaves, as soon as I get some spare time be sure that there will be better and bigger updates.

As it is, here is a compilation of some recent concepts regarding Farsight and other Tau related doodles.

Vehicle Silhouettes

Vehicle Silhouettes (cont.)

XV8 Farsight Concepts w/ exposed exosuit and pose-able hands.

Kroot Orc Mutation

Kroot Orc Mutation (cont.)

Kroot Orc Mutation (cont.)

O'shovah fireblade and fire warrior

Cannonfodder
Shas

Re: Update: Sketch Dump - PAGE-17

Post#330 » Jul 26 2013 03:16

OMG! This is all so well worked out! I love your idea of the Enclave- kkep up the work please!

Kern
Kroot

Post#331 » Jul 26 2013 03:24

I love how the second Kroot mutation looks like a rockstar :D
As life flies past, you better grab it!

De'terra
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#332 » Jul 26 2013 03:37

Anyone else wishing that LordDirk and PaulsonGames would team up for this?
I may have 70% painted but those models would get converted so fast...

Lovely work, truly inspiring

Whitefire
Shova

Post#333 » Jul 26 2013 05:40

Great more sketches to inspire me Thanks LordDirk.

Nice to see another sketch of the Enclave fireblade. Had a go at building mine up, next thing is the Pathfinders and rebuilding the Sawfish I started on ages ago. Oh and to greenstuff some ponchos and plasticard up some helmets for those pathies.

O'Ka'mesa
Fio

Post#334 » Jul 29 2013 08:16

Not sure what I think about the Kroot Orcs (Kroot Hulks?), they do look very much like rock stars. I say we create a Kindred called Eaters of The Dead and go on tour!

As always great work and can't wait to see more.
We must master ourselves before mastering our enemy.

LordDirk
Fio

Post#335 » Jul 30 2013 07:34

I have received a lot of positive feedback on my Farsight Enclave designs! Thank you everyone who has expressed interest in my art and this project.

In response to recent requests to model these designs, as well as the questions that have followed suit, I have constructed this simple modeling guide for the Farsight Enclave Fire Warrior.

Modeling Notes

*The helmet is a simpler shape, more cylindrical to emphasize the reuse of old technology.
*The Plasma rifle is longer and less compact, again to emphasize that this is an older model brought back in times of need.
*O'shovah's personal XV8 boasts hoof like feet as opposed to the 3 toe design, I wanted to apply this to other models as well, including the fire warriors's shoes.
*The legs are pathfinders with an extra bit of greenstuff on the calf and some plasticard kneepads.
*The backpack is a normal Tau backpack with the handle cut off and turned upside-down with two large antenna jutting from the top two sides.
*The backpack is held on via the collar which sits on top of the poncho.
*The poncho is designed to keep dust and sand from the instruments and hinges in the Fire Warrior's armor, but can be swept aside or blown open by wind for dramatic poses!
*Ammo packs from imperial guard kits make for a nice visual cue to how the Farsight Fire Warriors need to survive for longer periods of time away from their main supplies.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Re: Update: Modeling Guide - PAGE-17

Post#336 » Aug 02 2013 10:34

These actually strike me as very inspiring. Depending on my work schedule and whether or not my university gets a 3D printer like they're considering, I'd love to make 3D models of some of those. I'll talk to you later about my plans for those and see if you can't help with some sketches for me to work from.

LordDirk
Fio

Farsight Shock Trooper XV8

Post#337 » Aug 02 2013 11:08

Compounding upon my earlier design (viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14884&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=260) for the Farsight Battlesuit, I've finally created a solid exo skeleton design that I am happy with.

These battlesuits are designed as the Farsight Enclave's reaction to the Space Marine super humans, as well as an effective way to reuse supplies. I wanted them to feel heavy yet maneuverable, drawing inspiration from RoboCane and the Spartans from the Halo series. With complex joints and the ability to exchange weapons with one another, these Farsight Shock Trooper XV8's act more like a tight knit special forces team than a flight wing.

Some models even carry large ammo pouches to house explosives. A common tactic to take out large opposing aircraft is to send a small group of these Shock Troop XV8's to plant explosive charges on the ship's weak-points and detonate them remotely.

PoisonBladeNL
Shas

Re: Update: Farsight Shock Trooper XV8 - PAGE 17

Post#338 » Aug 03 2013 03:40

There is just no possible way to make your stuff even cooler Dirk.., truely inspiring!

I'm just inches away from starting a whole new enclave army using your designs...
Keep this work up! (please!)
-PBNL
'Thought I'd try shooting my way out..."

LordDirk
Fio

Post#339 » Aug 03 2013 08:52

To PoisonBladeNL: Thanks man! If you do keep me updated. :)

Next up is the Hunter Variant.
While the shock trooper with his Plasma Rifle (and optional missile pod) has a 'by the books' average soldier look to him, for the Shas that pilots the Hunter Variant I wanted to give a slightly more 'unhinged' appearance. Think of these soldiers as veterans of many suicide missions, as any battlesuit pilot crazy enough to use such close range weapons as their mainstay has definitely got more guts than brains.

Oddly enough the claws and knife are not intended to be used in close combat, but are rather augmentations that allow the pilot to latch onto large moving objects without the need of magnetic boots.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#340 » Aug 03 2013 09:00

I actually really like this modular approach. The suits get visibly different based on the role that they are meant to assume in combat. It's a nice touch. I can't say that I like this variant very much but I think that you've at least captured the personality of the pilot in his surrounding armor.

Cannonfodder
Shas

Post#341 » Aug 05 2013 05:47

I really try to stay focused on producing your firewarrior at the moment but those new designs make me want to tae vacation and start fulltime on those. Maybe I will do just that. Rest assured to see some WIP of the progress on the army of your designs in very close future.

btw. Thank you for sharing-You should get a lot back for it. Thats why I pledge that you will get my models after I am finished with them so you can build you army.

LordDirk
Fio

Post#342 » Aug 06 2013 10:24

To Cannonfodder: One thing at a time my friend ;), thank you for showing interest in my art and for the great comments!

Farsight Enclave Enforcer Variant:

This time I tried to design something that was a bit more fitting for AgentArrow, someone who's modeling skills I admire, as well as design aesthetics. The role I based this suit around was that of a heavier shock trooper. The twin-linked missile pod loadout is a popular one and brings with it some nasty mid ranged firepower without sacrificing mobility. To emphasize this I went with a heavier Shock trooper look; if your shock trooper is the average soldier, this is the grenadier backing him up. Not as unique as the Hunter variant, more uniformed like the shock troopers but with an added dash of intimidation.

If you have any loadouts you think would make great Farsight Enclave designs, let me know, I may just incorperate them. As it is I want to do one designed around a burst cannon loadout, and of course a Tau Commander suit variant.

Return to “Project Logs”