Tau Sidai Cadre [WIP] - Riptide conversion

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Panarus
Shas

Tau Sidai Cadre [WIP] - Riptide conversion

Post#1 » Apr 25 2010 03:03

Tau Sidai (Dark Tau) is a third sphere expansion colony which is basically a fertile and hospitable world, but is very often subject to large scale thunderstorms. Accordingly the hunter cadres use a mixture of dark colours (in this case nauseating blue,black and a grey-metallic tone). Unit identification is also colour-based.
[More fluff to come once I recover the stick from my mission to Kosovo 2006 where I wrote it up during hours on leave..]
So here are the pics:
Firewarrior with Pulsecarabine&Markerlight (Kais from the SE of the Firewarrior Game)
A Shas`El in combat, having successfully downed a Tyranid Warrior
Hammerhead in a non standard configuration (chin turret is changeable)
Distinction between different branches is made through colouring of the bodysuits.Firewarriors use standard blue, Pathfinders green, tank crew a lighter blue.
So much for today..comments welcome
Last edited by Panarus on Nov 03 2015 04:55, edited 10 times in total.
May burning heretics guide us through the darkness.

_T'Owel_
Shas

Re: Tau Sidai Cadre [WIP]

Post#2 » Apr 25 2010 03:13

Wow, these are truly fantastic. I like the laser effects! Can't wait to see more! Keep up the good work.

-T'Owel
pity the fool who don't leave his tea to brew for 5 mins

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#3 » Apr 25 2010 03:16

Hello Panarus,

I really like your modells, really good painting.

Noseart was something I wanted on my tanks too, but I did not know how to do it, seeing it on your's helps me a lot.

Looking forward to see and read more of your Cadre.

Grüße
Che Gue'Vesa

Panarus
Shas

Post#4 » Apr 25 2010 03:18

OK, if you like the Markerlights, you´ll love the ion cannon in action ;)
but now i really have to go to bed...tomorrow 23 Shas´la are awaiting their final sergeant-exams ;)
Last edited by Panarus on May 01 2010 03:30, edited 1 time in total.

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#5 » Apr 25 2010 03:20

Woha, thats awesome!

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#6 » Apr 25 2010 03:41

Love the bullet holes, very clean look to it. Also I love the Shark teeth you gave the other one, very awesome! :) Keep up the good work, lets see some more.
Last edited by Blueshock on Jun 03 2010 04:45, edited 1 time in total.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

ShadowSword
Shas

Post#7 » Apr 25 2010 03:47

Daaaaang. That ion cannon rocks! :nice:

Did you do that with green stuff and how did you the sharks teeth?
Fight with courage and fire.

Rhodesia1979
Shas

Post#8 » Apr 25 2010 04:51

Beautiful models you've done there. May have to nick that teeth design on the 'Fish.

Might I say, the Tyranid head with the blood oozing out is simply brilliant. A small detail that won't be noticed in a big battle, but another of those small things you never fail to appreciate. The marker light thing (if that's what it is) is awesome. What did you use?

Regards,
Rhodesia1979

Panarus
Shas

Post#9 » Apr 26 2010 08:36

Well thanks for the nice feedback
As for the Questions concerning the making:
- The markerlights are antennas for 1:87 scale tanks..alternately you can take a straightened-out small paperclip.
- The sharks mouth is just painted, not modeled.If you search the internet for inspiration, take ground attack aircraft with a chin-mounted cannon, like the cobra attack helicopter or the A-10 Thunderbolt...this should yield fine results.
- The electricity along the top of the ion cannon is actually made of what remains if you drill into a sprue with a small handdrill...of course its not very stable but then I use sabol army trays, which is a very good protection..

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#10 » Apr 26 2010 08:42

- The sharks mouth is just painted, not modeled.If you search the internet for inspiration, take ground attack aircraft with a chin-mounted cannon, like the cobra attack helicopter or the A-10 Thunderbolt...this should yield fine results.

I did google for pictures, I found a lot of cool ideas, i.e. there was a really impressive `Warthog`-Mouth on an A-10, but I was somehow unable to imaginary picture it on my 'fishes, thats where you come in and helped me. ;)

Kais'Saal
Shas

Post#11 » Apr 27 2010 06:43

I saw the same Warthog paint and it looks fun! Might give it a go...

I love the models, best I've seen in a long time. I have to try the markerlights now, how do they end? I'm going to try and use some 'wire' I bought for pinning but obviously the end might be dissimilar to an antenna.

Plus I want an ion cannon now I've seen yours! :o So much inspiration for one post!
Just my 'Tau' Cents! :P

Panarus
Shas

Post#12 » Apr 28 2010 02:54

The Markerlights start with a bright red tone and get continuously darker until they end midair with black...of course this looks better in picture where it vanishes off to the side :)
The biggest problem is finding some wire that is straight..like mentioned before, try HO (1:87 scale) model train stuff...if you absolutely can´t find anything and it´s really worth it to you, you can buy some LED´s and cut off the "feet"...they make for some long, thin, straight metal parts..2 per LED :::(

I´ll try to load up some more pics this evening :eek:

Kais'Saal
Shas

Post#13 » Apr 28 2010 06:32

Panarus wrote:The Markerlights start with a bright red tone and get continuously darker until they end midair with black...of course this looks better in picture where it vanishes off to the side :)

I mean is it capped or is it a straight (as in no variation in diametre) wire?

Panarus wrote:The biggest problem is finding some wire that is straight..like mentioned before, try HO (1:87 scale) model train stuff...if you absolutely can´t find anything and it´s really worth it to you, you can buy some LED´s and cut off the "feet"...they make for some long, thin, straight metal parts..2 per LED :::(

The wire I have is more like copper piping but solid and as thin as a paper clip. Should be perfect.

Panarus wrote:I´ll try to load up some more pics this evening :eek:

I really hope so!
Just my 'Tau' Cents! :P

Panarus
Shas

Post#14 » Apr 28 2010 02:13

As promised...here´s a Broadside
and a detail shot of the base
Last edited by Panarus on May 01 2010 03:32, edited 2 times in total.

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#15 » Apr 28 2010 02:43

Your painting looks great as usual (that sounds so negative, but its not).

The base is great. (Damn I have to do basing)

Daedalus Nix
Shas

Post#16 » Apr 29 2010 06:22

While I'm not a huge fan of the flattened rain guns (they look too awkward to me) I am in love with the side-shoulder mounted SMS and envious of your paint scheme.

Panarus
Shas

Post#17 » Apr 30 2010 09:59

one of my favourites...Sniper and Spotter - count as normal Firewarriors :)
The arms of the spotter are moveable so he can be observing with monocular or his own eyesight..
and some toying around...
This was designated the Orca...then came along: the computergame firewarrior and forgeworld, presenting a different orca..so I renamed it whale...for the time being due to lack of a better name...
Last edited by Panarus on May 01 2010 03:48, edited 5 times in total.

PidGinRat
Shas

Post#18 » Apr 30 2010 10:22

Great work on the 'Whale' conversion! I really like the turret- is that a modified Predator turret? It also feels heavier-duty than the standard Devilfish chassis. Do you have any WIP pics of the construction process? Even if not, perhaps you can share the construction process with your fellow Fio.

Nicely done!
-PGR

Return to “Project Logs”