A High Quality Gaming Table

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Strobe
Shas

Re: A High Quality Gaming Table

Post#19 » Jul 30 2010 03:11

The assembly is now complete:

You can see I have now added the sides that make the lowered gaming surface and the supports that will hold the drawer rails.

There wasn't much to take photos of today. That is all you get.

A few issues that I was unsure of were solved today. Putting in screws at an angle so you can have a fastening where there is wood on boths sides is challenging. I have now devised a technique. Firstly, measure up and mark where you want to screw. Remember that you don't want to come out in the middle of the first piece, aim a little higher than that. Then, using a countersink, bore slightly into the top of the piece as if going straight down. This will provide a good angled place to drill from. Swap over to your drill bit and drill down on an angle. Swap back to the sink again and countersink on the newly drilled angle. Easy.

Anyone got some more questions? It seems a little quiet in here…

I'll post again tomorrow. Tomorrow will be final sanding then stain to a nice colour. If I have time left also I will buy my first top section and the material fror the drawers.

-Strobe

abraxus
Shas

Post#20 » Jul 30 2010 07:39

I think we're all quiet because we're eagerly awaiting the promised schematics!!!!!

Seriously, I think thisis lookign fantastic. Anyone who may be considering opening their own gaming store should really keep an eye on this. I know my local stores biggest problem is their tables are HORRIBLE.

Strobe
Shas

Post#21 » Aug 03 2010 06:25

Right, better late than never.

This was actually done on Saturday and Sunday as I planned. The table isn't yet finished (well, it kinda is (I'll get to that)).

I started off with the base coat of the Walnut coloured stain. Results below:

Close shot showing the decidedly honey colour.

At this stage I am worried I have ruined my table :(

It went on a bit patchy, sucked up heaps of stain and generally wasn't as dark as I expected.

A wide shot of one completed table.

I powered on anyway and got both tables done with enough time according to the directions. The can said don't use it if it will fall below 10°C within four hours. It is winter here so it is something I have to consider. Thankfully despite it taking longer than I thought to apply I was finished with enough time.

I finished up, cleaned up the brushes and went home worried. Next day arrives and I get to work. The stain went on much better this time. It still drank it up and I began to worry again (see a theme here?) about running out of stain.

The colour is much better this time though.

I decided to conserve my remaining stain by only double coating the sections of the table you will see when you have a surface put in. I can live with a bit of off colour when you change table tops. Really, if anyone complains maybe I should be having games with 'em.

This is a close shot after the four hour touch dry time (colour should be fairly final) of the second coat. I particularly like how it has darked the knots in the pine. It is very pleasing to me.

When I finished the second coat I had probably less than 5mL left from my half liter can. Good planning? More like good luck :D

Another close up shot here with a bit of leg thrown in (I say!).

The product I used was a combined stain/varnish thing by British Paints called something Once. Brush Once, Apply Once? Something. You are meant to sand in between each coat but I didn't feel it was needed. The finish is smooth without being fine furniture French Polished smooth. It is a gaming table and my first piece of cabinet making so I can live with the little mistakes.

Speaking of little mistakes, there have been one or two. I'll highlight them so you can avoid them when I get 'round to the plans.

A quick note on that too: If you are hanging out for the plans I want to stress that they will be made after I have finished the table. Whilst it looks quite finished it has a bit more to do. It might be weeks until I have the plans done.

So, this coming Saturday I will be moving the tables over from the workshop to my apartment and putting them in place. I will also, hopefully, be getting the table tops and material for the drawers. I already have drawer slides to mount them so it should be all done on the Saturday if not then on the Sunday. I am back at work so no time during the week. After all that is done Sunday the 15th will be the first game on the table. D&D I'm afraid, otherwise I would have a battle report. I need to get on to some terrain but as I mentioned before I honestly play more RPGs than Wargames at the moment. I hope this will change and I want to get more into 40k on a regular basis.

A final note on what you've seen in the above post. Due to my phone camera and it being Winter the colour is actually a little washed out. When the table is in place I'll get a tripod, better camera and put some lights around to do a few glamor shots for you folks as home. Remember, it is easier to sell a table like this to your significant other if you can show it looking fantastic in another persons house. Envy is powerful :)

-Strobe

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#22 » Aug 03 2010 07:19

This table is looking great, man. I really like the color you decided to go with for the stain; it's really going to add an extra something when other people come over to play on the table.
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

RevRanDoM
Por'O
Por'O

Post#23 » Aug 03 2010 10:43

Just saw this thread now. Very impressive work on a complex project. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the final result too. :)

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#24 » Aug 03 2010 10:58

I too have just spotted this thread. It is an excellent piece of "WIP", and has been Stickied.

Bookmarks may need to be adjusted, just to let those of you who are following this thread know.

E.

Strobe
Shas

Post#25 » Aug 13 2010 05:21

Alright, I'm not dead. I have been a little sick but actually the delay has been caused by external forces.

I now have the materials for the next (and second last) stage.

Expect more tomorrow.

Tomorrow I apply paint to the table surface and drawers and then, once dry (14 hours :(), install the drawer slides.

My first game on the table is Sunday so I better get it all done tomorrow.

-Strobe

Strobe
Shas

Post#26 » Aug 14 2010 08:19

Progress progress progress.

I did quite a few things today. Lots of painting of surfaces. I am glad I invested in a paint rolled. I really suggest you get one if you're going to do large smooth surfaces. If you're painting a gaming table that is textured, however, go for a large brush instead. I would think the roller wouldn't like texture much.

To start off today I fitted up one set of drawer slides to one unfinished MDF drawer. Behold!

Here is the drawer at the regular extension. It is a good size for an RPG book open or book stack closed with a character sheet next to it.

For a wargame it neatly slides away:

And the table is just a wargaming table again. You could, of course, use these drawers for special purposes. Casualties, reserves, mini building section to represent models inside and objective (I'm thinking kill team here). I'm sure you'll think of other things.

The rest of the work today was painting. Here is the setup in my garage:

You can see one of the main surfaces behind against the wall and a drawer section I was working on.

Some drawer sections drying here. Please excuse the lighting but it is winter and the back of my garage. Not much light gets in.

Other drying sections here.

Also today my girlfriend and I put some black felt down on the table frame to help the playing surfaces sit nicely. It was simply stuck on with PVA glue (white glue, Elmer's glue, wood glue).

And here is a closer shot of the felt.

You'll note that is doesn't go all the way to the edges but the felt came in a bolt one meter across and it doesn't really need the felt everywhere to support the surface. It would have been too fiddly for not much benefit.

Tomorrow before the game I'll put the drawer slides on to the (now dry) drawers and lug the surfaces upstairs to slot into the frame. I'll probably rope in some unsuspecting gamers to help out as the tops are quite heavy and cumbersome.

-Strobe

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#27 » Aug 14 2010 10:33

This table is looking absolutely fantastic. My wife and I are finally starting to get a grasp on the whole unpacking thing, and it's got me really anxious to start a project like this.
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

Panhead
Shas

Post#28 » Aug 14 2010 05:02

Really nice step-by-step

Will have to use this as a reference for later.. :)
It's the imperfections that make something unique

Strobe
Shas

Post#29 » Aug 14 2010 06:48

Sa'cea Mont'yr wrote:This table is looking absolutely fantastic. My wife and I are finally starting to get a grasp on the whole unpacking thing, and it's got me really anxious to start a project like this.

I'm lucky my significant other supports me completely in my hair-brained schemes.

Well, what should I expect from someone who plays a Slaanesh themed CSM army? Support of excessive? You bet. In fact one of the main reasons we chose this apartment to rent was the fantastically large living room so we can fit a gaming table like this.

Also, Panhead, you may have missed it earlier in the thread but I will be completing a step-by-step set of plans to follow along to for people with minimal experience (like me) to be able to build a pretty good table. It will probably be another couple of weeks away as I am writing it in my lunch break at work. Hopefully there will be a number of tables like this around in a year or so.

-Strobe

Strobe
Shas

Post#30 » Aug 16 2010 06:27

So the game went well. The table is complete and I am getting back to some more traditional building. Y'know, 40k models.

Here is the shot of the completed table.

You can probably make out some 28mm figures there that are the D&D party. It should give you a sense of scale.

Feel free to ask any questions you like.

-Strobe

Spyder
Shas

Post#31 » Nov 23 2010 02:58

Strobe,

is there any way you might be able to post your plans for puilding this amazing table on the thread at any point in time, I know you had said you would :) . This is a fantastic design and I am interested in building a table myself. (But possibly more portable ;) )
Each must find their own way...
-Commander Farsight

Strobe
Shas

Post#32 » Dec 06 2010 03:46

Yes I certainly will. I'm sorry it is taking so much longer to write than I intended. I have some things that have made my life "interesting".

I think I should probably put up my preliminary plans so those of you who are keen and, presumably, talented can work from the half finished plans. I'm sure you will want to make some changes anyway.

Expect something more soon.

-Strobe

Spyder
Shas

Post#33 » Dec 12 2010 02:05

Each must find their own way...
-Commander Farsight

Strobe
Shas

Post#34 » Dec 17 2010 06:29

I have sent Spyder the in-progress document. Anyone else who is desperate for something please send me a PM and I'll give the document out.

I am trying to get time to finish the plans but it is going slower than I would have thought.

Regards,
-Strobe

Return to “Project Logs”