A High Quality Gaming Table

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Strobe
Shas

A High Quality Gaming Table

Post#1 » Jul 23 2010 09:23

Hello ATT people,

I have begun the final stages of a project I have been working on for a little over a year. Has it really been that long? Well, I guess I haven't been working non stop.

Many of you are probably in a situation like me. I wish to have a table to accommodate my gaming hobbies. I don't just play Warhammer 40,000 although it is one of the primary considerations for this table design. Most of the time when you read up on someone building a gaming "table" what they have build is more a surface and terrain set that they plonk down on their dining table or on beer kegs in their garage. Now, I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that - certainly not with the beer kegs :D. What I am saying is that it isn't really a table. It is a surface. I want a table with, k'now, legs and stuff?

Well, I'll give you some eye candy at this point:

This is a shot from Google Sketchup which I used to lay out the design in 3d.

As you can see it is quite complicated. That is mostly due to it having to be flexible. If I am going to bother building a custom table and taking up a large section of house permanently then I'm going to make it work for everything. With that in mind here is a quick run down of the features of this deign:

* Sunken gaming surface to prevent dice rolling off the edge
    * Interchangeable gaming surface for different battlefields and/or games (at a sensible cost)
    * Full size for Warhammer 40,000 (also, it turns out, Apocalypse although I haven't ever played it)
    * Able to separate in two tables for twice the simultaneous gaming
    * Places to store waiting armies and casualties (probably Imperials)
    * Drawers with storage for pens, drinks and the like for RPGs
    * Seating for 8 players for RPGs.

That is quite a list of requirements. I think this will meet them.

I can hear you now "Wow! That is great! I want one!". Well, fear not. I fully intend to have a set of comprehensive plans to build such a beast for free download shortly after I complete the table. How comprehensive? Here is our next slide:

All the pieces will be detailed like this. Also note that I will only use two power tools and they are both optional but do you really want to drill by hand? I didn't think so.

The build starts in two days. I have finalised my alpha plans and bought almost everything that I need. I am about to take my last trip to a hardware store. This time I just need to buy wood screws. I get a final delivery of some other things on Monday but I can start without them. I have to say I am, personally, quite exited about this.

Final shot for today. Here is the pile of timber that will become this table.

I'm hoping to post day by day in the evening from Monday (+10 GMT) with updates as to how it is all going.

Once it is all complete anyone who happens to be in Sydney Australia at some time is most welcome to have a tour of the table (and a game!). I'll let you know ;)

-Strobe

Null
Fio

Re: A High Quality Gaming Table

Post#2 » Jul 23 2010 09:39

NOW THAT'S A PROJECT! :biggrin:

Seriously Strobe, 'props' to you as it seems incredibly well though out. This is something I'm going to be keeping a good eye on (your not the only one who is excited).

Eagerly anticipating your updates!

Oops Edit: Quick question, what lumber are you using (quartersawn/flatsawn), and how is the table going to be fastened together?

- null

Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui

Post#3 » Jul 24 2010 12:05

What size is the table you're planning - from the sound of it, the gaming surface will be 8 x 4, yes?

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El

Post#4 » Jul 24 2010 12:58

Moved to Project Logs and bookmarked. I'm really looking forward to your progress on this table, and I really hope you are able to complete it. I'm not going to have access to regular Internet for about another week, but I assure you, this will be something I keep a keen eye on with an intent to follow in your footsteps. Good luck, and take pictures!
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

Strobe
Shas

Post#5 » Jul 24 2010 01:21

Unusualsuspect wrote:What size is the table you're planning - from the sound of it, the gaming surface will be 8 x 4, yes?

Correct*

*Actually, due to living in a metric country it will be 1200mmx2400mm which is 7.87401575' x 3.93700787'. Also considering I am making the top from a single piece that will be cut into two 1200x1200 bits you loose a bit to the saw blade. Probably end up 1200x2396 but who is counting :)

-Strobe

Lord Mayhem
Shas

Post#6 » Jul 24 2010 10:43

I've been looking at something similar though not quite as ambitious. One thing to keep in mind is the width of most doors, if you need to move it around the house- in the US most doors are 2 1/2 ft wide (about 75 cm) and doors in most countries I've visited (18 on 4 continents and counting) are similar sized. Are you planning to make the legs fold, or be removable? Or are you not planning on moving it? (I'm looking at collapsable legs, so I can adjust the table height, and then put it on its side for doors- the tricky bit will be mounting wheels on the side :? )

Strobe
Shas

Post#7 » Jul 24 2010 11:41

Lord Mayhem wrote:I've been looking at something similar though not quite as ambitious. One thing to keep in mind is the width of most doors, if you need to move it around the house- in the US most doors are 2 1/2 ft wide (about 75 cm) and doors in most countries I've visited (18 on 4 continents and counting) are similar sized. Are you planning to make the legs fold, or be removable? Or are you not planning on moving it? (I'm looking at collapsable legs, so I can adjust the table height, and then put it on its side for doors- the tricky bit will be mounting wheels on the side :? )

It certainly is a worry for many people. My solution is to attach the legs in my living room where the table will live. When I need to move it I can remove them. It may well fit around doors (not through, but walking it around the frame) depending on where it has to fit. The legs will be attached with screws.

I am lucky that I can leave a table of this size permanently installed. It only has to move when I move house.

-Strobe

Spyder
Shas

Post#8 » Jul 25 2010 01:56

As for the legs and being able to move the table without taking it apart, you could find some sturdy hinges and make it so the legs fold in like a traditional card table. Just some food for thought :)
Each must find their own way...
-Commander Farsight

Strobe
Shas

Post#9 » Jul 26 2010 04:58

Spyder wrote:As for the legs and being able to move the table without taking it apart, you could find some sturdy hinges and make it so the legs fold in like a traditional card table. Just some food for thought :)

I certainly gave this option some thought. When we get to the legs part in the build log you'll see why I haven't gone this way.

-Strobe

Strobe
Shas

Post#10 » Jul 26 2010 06:19

Sorry for the late post. I was halfway through writing it last night when my router locked up. Turning it off and on didn't help (curse you IT Crowd!) so I just left it 'till this morning. Now a quick reset has fixed it up.

So yesterday went well. I got everything done that I intended to.

It started out with some sawing. It isn't much to look at. I guess it will be more interesting later.

All the rough sawing has now been complete. All the beams have been marked for detailed cuts and sorted into their appropriate piles together with the plan sheets. You can see that here:

I am about to head out to the workshop today. I hope to get most of the detailed bits done along with the finishing for the ends of the beams you won't see. Since I used a rough saw at first the need a quick bit of sanding to fit flush with each other.

Expect to hear from me tonight. Keep up with the questions if you have any. I am happy to answer them.

-Strobe

Return to “Project Logs”