Patchoro's eternal WIP

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Patchoro
Shas

Patchoro's eternal WIP

Post#1 » Aug 10 2010 02:28

Hey guys,

although I joined juli the 25th, I am still only able to post in this specific topic, while I am dying to post some of my first Tau work in lower concourse.

Just to get that splinter out of my brain, I'll have to post one picture here :)
Sorry guys!

**edit**
Kudos for the moderators for fixing my problem and relocating my post to this topic.
Last edited by Patchoro on Jan 13 2014 06:05, edited 31 times in total.

Wolfs16
Fio'El

Re: Okay let's do this...

Post#2 » Aug 10 2010 02:31

Patchoro:

Those Firewarriors are amazing! I really like the color scheme and the the highlighting really makes them pop. May I ask why you didn't use any antenna? Also, on the black cloth, how did you highlight it?

As for your current Membership status, I will talk to the admins about it and see what's up. It could just be a glitch!

Yami Kero
Shas

Re: Okay let's do this...

Post#3 » Aug 10 2010 02:35

WOW!!!! Amazing detail! Now I really cant wait to see a full log!

Regarding the rank, I think this is a case of:
New members to ATT are unranked (Shas'Registered) and are granted post/reply privileges in Member Profiles only. After approximately 48 hours, new members are automatically promoted to Shas'Saal. Please note that in many cases you must log out of the site and then back in for the promotion to take effect.

I had the same thing. The thing was that it kept me logged in. So what I did is simply log out via the log out button and then log back in.

Hope it helps.

Eiglepulper
Shas'O

Re: [WIP] Patchoro's Cadre

Post#4 » Aug 10 2010 02:46

Hopefully the posting privileges problem has been ironed out for you, Patchoro. Thanks to Shas'ui Yami Kero and Shas'vre Wolfs16 for their assistance and advice.

E.

Patchoro
Shas

Post#5 » Aug 10 2010 04:14

Hey guys,

Finally I can share some of my stuff with you.
The Tau are fairly new to me. Last month I bought a Tau battle-force and I am currently in the process of painting and assembling them.
I am just hooked to the whole thing and I learn new tricks every day.

Here some detail from my fire-team.

I think the Tau are great, but they can look a bit too clean to my taste. So incorporating battle damage and weathering is an essential part of my painting proces.
Thanks to this great forum I think I get it now. The trick for me is not to overdo it.

At the moment I am learning to paint the Kroot. These units are great fun to paint, but the assembly is a pain. My modelling skills are not quite what they should be...
Especially adding equipment to them is giving me some trouble, it never seems to fit the way I think it should.
Here a picture of my Kroot WIP. I am very happy with the colour scheme.

Recently I bought an airbrush (Revell starter kit). This is Terra incognito to me. It's amazing how much you can do with this. I am still learning though (how thin should the paint be for optimal effect etc), and my Devilfish is the "victim" of this learning curve. I am far from done with the Fish (just added some earlier made drones for showing off :)) Later on I will post more pictures when it's closer to the Devilfish I hope to achieve.

The interior was fun to make. But others on this forum have impressed me with their eye for detail concerning the interior.
Maybe I will add some details later on, like a gun in the gun rack and a Fire warrior helmet on the bench.

Paint wise I am captain slow, so this thing will keep me occupied for quite some time!
I hope you fellow Tau friends like my efforts and I will soon post some more.

SpartanTau
Kor'Vre

Post#6 » Aug 10 2010 07:25

Patchoro :
Well, now I feel bad thinking that my work was good. These models are amazing! The color choices are great, the stark highlighting really stands out without looking too cartoon-y, and the subtle weathering looks great! The various gem effects look stellar as well. Your Devilfish is definitely my favorite model of yours! If that's your test model with an airbrush, I can't wait to see what your future models look like when you get more accustomed to using it.

One quick question, though. What oranges are you using, both for the base and the highlight? Thanks!
ON EXTENDED LEAVE

Militant.Jester
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Aug 10 2010 08:01

This is incredible work! Your paint scheme reminds me of Boss from the Republic Commando game:
Which is a compliment. ;)

I really like the colors you are using for the white/gray panels, it looks faintly luminescent - which is quite appropriate for an alien race such as the Tau, I think. I actually tried a paint scheme similar to this a while ago - it did not go so well. :? Would you mind telling me what colors you used for these white sections?
Overall your paint scheme is incredibly striking. The colors are vibrant without being gaudy. The Sept markings are quite impressive - how did you paint them so well?
All the colors interact together to make a very believable scheme for a futuristic alien army, but like I said they are still vibrant and engaging.
I would agree with SpartanTau; the devilfish is most impressive, especially the nose markings. Again, how did you manage to paint them so well?

But.. I think that the bases could use some work. The brown colors do not match the colors of the army very well, IMHO. Giving it more of an urban feel would help (IE, smoother ground, gray colors, metal panels and the like).

This is definitely an amazing army and I look forward to seeing more.

PS. I almost forgot - the kroot do look great, also! :D
EDIT: I just noticed you left the antennae of the fire warriors - why is that?
Ni neart go cur le cheile::Cadre Log Activating...

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El

Post#8 » Aug 11 2010 02:34

Well, Patchoro,

those Firewarriors look amazing and the 'fish is looking very promising.

I am looking forward to see more of your work, since you can keep up with my most famous painters on this site.

p.s. Militant.Jester is right, your colour-scheme does remind me of the Delta Leader, was that intended?

Rus'el
Shas

Post#9 » Aug 11 2010 03:28

Lovely painting Patchoro. I really like the scheme you've chosen, works very well.

I especially like your Devilfish, the 'block-cammo' is extremely well done especially as it's your first one. Oh and the interior shot is really erm...(seem to be running out of adjectives!) ...nice, the natural light coming in from the hatch brings it to life.

Well another thread to keep an eye on.

Great work!!!

Rus'el
Last edited by Rus'el on Aug 12 2010 03:42, edited 1 time in total.
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left!

Patchoro
Shas

Post#10 » Aug 12 2010 05:36

Thanks for all the kind words. They mean a lot to me, especially because I consider you guys the experts!

Now for the questions:
Wolfs16 wrote:Patchoro:
May I ask why you didn't use any antenna? Also, on the black cloth, how did you highlight it?

Well spotted! I went on a 2 week holiday and I brought my painting stuff with me to pass some time. The intention was to assemble and paint one firewarrior squad within these 2 weeks. The antenna's were so smal, I didn't dare bring them with me, in case I would lose them on my holiday location. So, the squad you see is actually WIP, because the antennae are still to be added.

The black cloth is actually charadon granite, mixed with some black and Darkangel green.
Highlights are done with thinned down Commando khaki. Aftyerwards I gave the cloth a black wash, just because I liked the slightly glossy effect.
SpartanTau wrote:Patchoro :
One quick question, though. What oranges are you using, both for the base and the highlight? Thanks!

Blazing orange and thinned down fiery orange. If I want the orange to be clean, I first base the Orange areas with fortress grey.
Militant.Jester wrote:Would you mind telling me what colors you used for these white sections?
The Sept markings are quite impressive - how did you paint them so well?
But.. I think that the bases could use some work. The brown colors do not match the colors of the army very well, IMHO. Giving it more of an urban feel would help (IE, smoother ground, gray colors, metal panels and the like).
EDIT: I just noticed you left the antennae of the fire warriors - why is that?

The "whites" are fortress grey, with simple white highlights. the colour picks up thanks to the strong, almost cartoony highlighting.
The sept markings are just freehand. On the Devilfish I taped a square which defined the outer borders of the marking, but otherwise it's freehand.

About the bases: you are absolutely right, they need some more work. These bases were just glued and dipped.I personally associate Tau with arid landscapes, so i won't go the industrial look. My basing skills are, well errr.... basic. So we'll see how the Kroot bases turn out. I intend to use more grass there.

The antennae thing: well spotted! (see above)
Che Gue'vesa wrote:Well, Patchoro,
Militant.Jester is right, your colour-scheme does remind me of the Delta Leader, was that intended?

Nope, that's just a coincidence. I do like the stormtrooper look, so subconcious it may have been a factor in my choice of colour.

Currently I am busy with the kroot squad. I allso bought two kroot hounds and a krootox. I can't wait to incorporate them into the Kroot squad!

Return to “Project Logs”