Patchoro's eternal WIP

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Siyath
Shas

Re: Patchoro's eternal WIP

Post#151 » Jan 11 2015 07:19

Looking very neat. I feel your pain about the slow approach, I'm exactly the same with my Tau. Constantly revisiting details and coming up with new conversions or paint schemes.

Are you planning on doing the OSL with a brush or an airbrush? It's such a freaking horrible moment after you've taken great pains to paint a model almost down to the smallest detail and then comes the moment when you should be applying the OSL. So many possibilities to screw it all up. I've been staring at my plasma rifle suits for two days now, completely unable to begin the lighting process :D

Patchoro
Shas

Post#152 » Jan 11 2015 08:23

Siyath wrote:Looking very neat. I feel your pain about the slow approach, I'm exactly the same with my Tau. Constantly revisiting details and coming up with new conversions or paint schemes.

Are you planning on doing the OSL with a brush or an airbrush? It's such a freaking horrible moment after you've taken great pains to paint a model almost down to the smallest detail and then comes the moment when you should be applying the OSL. So many possibilities to screw it all up. I've been staring at my plasma rifle suits for two days now, completely unable to begin the lighting process :D

Haha! It is comforting to know that others are experiencing the same fears and neurosis as me!
Shared pain and all... :)

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#153 » Jan 11 2015 09:34

Excellent work from one Dark Angel collector to another. Those are some of the best DA I have seen for some time. The Sgts face.... :eek:

Siyath wrote:It's such a freaking horrible moment after you've taken great pains to paint a model almost down to the smallest detail and then comes the moment when you should be applying the OSL. So many possibilities to screw it all up. I've been staring at my plasma rifle suits for two days now, completely unable to begin the lighting process :D

This has honestly put me off OSL too.

Patchoro
Shas

Post#154 » Jan 11 2015 09:48

El'mo wrote:Excellent work from one Dark Angel collector to another. Those are some of the best DA I have seen for some time. The Sgts face.... :eek:

Siyath wrote:It's such a freaking horrible moment after you've taken great pains to paint a model almost down to the smallest detail and then comes the moment when you should be applying the OSL. So many possibilities to screw it all up. I've been staring at my plasma rifle suits for two days now, completely unable to begin the lighting process :D

This has honestly put me off OSL too.

What I do to manage the risk is masking the parts that took me the most effort, like faces or insignia, with some putty.
I use poster buddies from Pritt. Easy to remove afterwards.

Patchoro
Shas

Post#155 » Jan 13 2015 05:44

So I finally dared to do OSL on the plasma guns. I used my airbrush and afterwards I touched some of it up by hand.
The sergeant his gun I will try to do by hand. I am to scared to mess up the model.
Next up are the bases, some detailing and them I am done!

Deet
Shas'La

Post#156 » Jan 13 2015 06:13

Whoa! :eek:

That's some serious OSL! I think it looks pretty good, but in my opinion it's maybe a little bit too much. I know how tricky it can be to get just a tiny bit out of the airbrush at just the right location. Those things would be crazy powerful light sources or they're in a very dark room.

That said, a very worthy first attempt. I may have to take a deep breath and try it myself. Congrats on your bravery just trying it out!

Tael
Fio'O

Post#157 » Jan 14 2015 01:44

Solid light source work man, and the DA's look suitably dark and grim - an interpretation of the scheme I like. These looks like new models, I've been out of the loop a few months - new DA launch?

- Tael.

abraxus
Shas

Post#158 » Jan 14 2015 06:56

Just dark vengeance models.

Blueshock
Shas'Vre

Post#159 » Jan 15 2015 01:56

I used to work with plasma etchers and I can honestly say these DA are a fantastic representation of the uncontrolled light the guns would generate. Bright and blue. The only thing missing is arcing effects, which is stupidly hard to do on a model and still look good. So, very impressive man. I love these models.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

Patchoro
Shas

Post#160 » Jan 15 2015 04:48

Thanks for the feedback guys! Very encouraging and helpful.
Blueshock wrote:I used to work with plasma etchers and I can honestly say these DA are a fantastic representation of the uncontrolled light the guns would generate. Bright and blue. The only thing missing is arcing effects, which is stupidly hard to do on a model and still look good. So, very impressive man. I love these models.

@Blueshock: I am trying to find some examples of that arcing effect but haven't found any good ones. Do you have a link to one?

Current status:
I toned down a bit on the plasma glow and made the bases (wip).

Return to “Project Logs”