Patchoro's eternal WIP

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Blueshock
Shas'Vre

Re: Patchoro's eternal WIP

Post#161 » Jan 15 2015 10:41

Hey bud. Closest thing I could find was this:

The arcing happens during the particle breakdown process and undesireable arcing (most destructive is the arc flash) can have devastating effects on the weapon. We know this as overheating in the warhammer world. Here's a better explanation to help you understand the full on awesomeness of plasma weaponry and arcing effects:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_arc
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

Siyath
Shas

Post#162 » Jan 16 2015 03:35

Blueshock: Where did you find that picture? I'd be curious to know about the process behind that arcing work. Been looking for something similar to finish up my plasma team with for a while now.

[edit: Nevermind, somehow my brain omitted the power of reverse image searches while typing that. Found the source. But thanks anyway for bringing it to my attention, much appreciated.]

[edit II: I wonder if there is a way to achieve a "cotton candyish" effect with only glue (vinilic or otherwise) and tinted and highly diluted paint, to create very thin strands which could be then applied on a model.]

Patchoro
Shas

Post#163 » Jan 17 2015 11:14

Ooh that arcing effect looks nice! Not so sure if it would look as cool on the table though..
I liked the Wiki link.Let´s make 40K scientifically sound heh? :D

The sergeant is done.
I painted the plasma glow effect on him by hand because I did not dare to go over the top on this model and ruin his face.
As Persifal recommended I tried to add some extra highlights on the head, but I almost messed up the face during the process.
I am pretty happy with how it all turned out. So no more tinkering on the model. Done is done!!

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#164 » Jan 17 2015 12:40

Excellent work. What's next after these?

Patchoro
Shas

Post#165 » Jan 18 2015 10:38

El'mo wrote:Excellent work. What's next after these?

Good question Elmo.
Usually i have a short phase of the blues after completing a ¨project¨.
over the years I have, as most 40K fans, bought more stuff than I can actually get painted.
I want to finish the Dark Vengeance box, just for the principle of it.
I did paint the chosen ones but I am unhappy how they turned out. The metallic paints mess up the clarity of the models.
I was bummed out with the result because these models are amazing. So I ordered some new ones on E-Bay for a retry...

After that, who knows, maybe I try my hand at the Tau broadside that I got last year, so it can join a future battle.

The DA Squad is done!

Patchoro
Shas

Post#166 » Jan 31 2015 07:09

Still very much in WIP. Posting stuff forces me to complete stuff, so here goes!

I modified the weapon arm, so it can switch to the heavy rail gun.
Painting a little monitor on his left arm was fun.
My idea was that this provides some external weapons interface, that internal HUD must be crowded, right? ;)

To be done:
finishing up some unpainted bits
touching up details
maybe some more markings (still in doubt)
adding some controlled battle damage (to stay within the spirit of my army)
particle accelerator (I am considering airbrushing a glow effect)
support systems

Deet
Shas'La

Post#167 » Jan 31 2015 12:01

Looking great, Patch. Fantastic sharp highlights. I like the color scheme a lot. Been thinking about dialing back my own orange with some more grey- the Orange is starting to overwhelm even me.

Patchoro
Shas

Post#168 » Feb 02 2015 06:42

Deet wrote:Looking great, Patch. Fantastic sharp highlights. I like the color scheme a lot. Been thinking about dialing back my own orange with some more grey- the Orange is starting to overwhelm even me.

Thnx Deet! I feel your pain. Choices from the past haunting you today... :)

The broadside is slowly nearing completion... Just did some airbrushing for the plasma glow.
Here a picture with the rail gun attached.

Patchoro
Shas

Post#169 » Feb 03 2015 04:59

Finally another model out of WIP. Mission complete. Done! (that is I decided to stop fidgeting with it and accept all the little defects I spot...) :)
Uploading by way of photobucket limits the maximum size of below picture.
If you want to check out the bigger version, you can check out the link to coolminiornot. http://www.coolminiornot.com/373523

Deet
Shas'La

Post#170 » Feb 03 2015 07:28

It's gorgeous, man. Top notch work!

Patchoro
Shas

Post#171 » Feb 07 2015 05:45

Thnx Deet!

All this detail work can be draining, so I decided to take on another little project.
A while ago I promised a 40K buddy that the next time we would play it would be on a proper battlefield.
So I am planning on building a modular terrain.

I bought a 12mm MDF plate 122x244cm (14 euros) and divided that in 60x60cm squares.
So I have 8 squares and plan to make a terrain that will be played on 6 squares.
Objects like buildings will not be static on that map. They will be placed as free standing items

This is my current idea. I think this approach can create a lot of variety in gaming.
The ¨target area¨ will be something like a painted landing zone.

The base landscape will first be painted black, mixed with sand.
Drybrushing afterwards should suffice I guess.
Elevations will be made with extruded polystyrene foam.

Since I am way out of my comfort zone here, any advise will be appreciated.

Blueshock
Shas'Vre

Post#172 » Feb 07 2015 06:15

Patchoro...terrain is one of my specialties and I would be happy to assist you on this. Modular isn't one of the things I build regularly but I have plenty of experience with it, and it is simple so long as you have a plan in place before your first cut.

First let's consider the basics:

1) What is your budget on this board?

2) Have you considered all the materials (flock, sand, paint, glues, sandpaper, terrain types such as Spackle/PS/Sheetrock/plaster), etc?

3) Do you want it static to only play with say Desert based terrain pieces or do you wanna mix it up and be able to use say forest or volcano/winter type terrain on it as well. (One of my favorite landscapes to build is desert and patch the board in spots with flock to be able to use it as a carribean beach/forest type terrain)

4) Have you drawn out every possibility with each connecting section yet? You will need to do this so you can still interlock all pieces in any variety to avoid having dead spots where the board doesn't line up right. I would recommend you number the bottom of each terrain piece first and draw a compass on each one so you know where section 1 connects with section 2 and so forth so you can figure out your variants with little to no confusion.

5) Do you have an airbrush? Airbrushing can cut out 80% of the time it takes to hand paint and will layer much lighter so you can gradient transition some areas to make it more realistic.

6) Are you going for all cheap supplies or are you wanting to be extremely detailed by using stuff like "Woodland scenics" modelling/hobby terrain?

7) Are you going to be completing this in a generally human/animal free environment? Animal hair and terrain do not mix, and rooms where lots of human traffic go through isn't ideal for being able to leave stuff laying around during the creation process. Believe me when I say that you're not going to want to clean up the whole thing during each session. Its much easier to do it as a full step in the process is completed (such as painting/flocking/gluing/etc).

8) Do you have a table made to put the modular pieces on? And does it fit your dimensions exactly or will there be overhang or extra table space?

8) Lastly you need to be extremely precise on any static terrain and be as random as you can for placing terrain that is freestanding on the board as possible.

Once you've been able to answer all that you can take the next step and order/pickup all your supplies/tools you will need. Then get started. Let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Note: I will spell check this post when I get home from work. Typing this up on my cell, so if anything looks funny don't market light me. edit: looked over it, looks good to me. :P
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

Patchoro
Shas

Post#173 » Feb 07 2015 10:13

Blueshock, thanks for the extensive reaction. That is an impressive post coming from a cellphone!

In response to the basics:
1) What is your budget on this board?
Budgetwise I am not really constricted, but I like this project to be on the cheap. just on principle
So far I spent 29 euros (MDF, black paint, brushes, coarse sand) I will have to spend some money on material for the elevation.
Other stuff I have lying about.

2) Have you considered all the materials (flock, sand, paint, glues, sandpaper, terrain types such as Spackle/PS/Sheetrock/plaster), etc?
I have a lot of stuff/materials. Only the elevations I will have to investigate a bit further, how best to approach.
I am considering a few layers of 5cm extruded PS. What is considered an elevation? 3 layers of 5 cm?.

3) Do you want it static to only play with say Desert based terrain pieces or do you wanna mix it up and be able to use say forest or volcano/winter type terrain on it as well. (One of my favourite landscapes to build is desert and patch the board in spots with flock to be able to use it as a carribean beach/forest type terrain)
For now I am going for a cities of death look, becacuse W40K has for me always been this dark gothic universe. I have to get that out of my system first before I will consider other options.
So a very bleak landscape, with lots of grey/brown/rusty tones. The elevation will maybe be more natural looking, probably bedrock.

4) Have you drawn out every possibility with each connecting section yet? You will need to do this so you can still interlock all pieces in any variety to avoid having dead spots where the board doesn't line up right. I would recommend you number the bottom of each terrain piece first and draw a compass on each one so you know where section 1 connects with section 2 and so forth so you can figure out your variants with little to no confusion.
Numbering the items and adding a compass is a good idea. I will do that. The elevations will have to match match up. Maybe 2 other modules will have a connecting item.
The idea is for the modules to be easily interchangeable. So no connecting roads and such. Maybe I will do that with later additions (modular, right? :))

5) Do you have an airbrush? Airbrushing can cut out 80% of the time it takes to hand paint and will layer much lighter so you can gradient transition some areas to make it more realistic.
I do have an airbrush but I am slightly worried that paint wise it will be costly when used for such big surfaces..

6) Are you going for all cheap supplies or are you wanting to be extremely detailed by using stuff like "Woodland scenics" modelling/hobby terrain?
The base will be cheap. Free items on the map will have to be more detailed because I am obsessive when it comes to detail.

7) Are you going to be completing this in a generally human/animal free environment? Animal hair and terrain do not mix, and rooms where lots of human traffic go through isn't ideal for being able to leave stuff laying around during the creation process. Believe me when I say that you're not going to want to clean up the whole thing during each session. Its much easier to do it as a full step in the process is completed (such as painting/flocking/gluing/etc).
No worries there. I live in a spacious house. The attic is where this project resides.

8) Do you have a table made to put the modular pieces on? And does it fit your dimensions exactly or will there be overhang or extra table space?
I have a diner table 100x220cm. So there will be some overhang, but this should not be a big problem.

8) Lastly you need to be extremely precise on any static terrain and be as random as you can for placing terrain that is freestanding on the board as possible.

Noted.

So of course I HAD to start and do some stuff. 4 squares are based with thick layers of black oil based paint mixed up with sand., they need to dry up before I can proceed.
2 squares are basic squares with no characteristics. One square has a landing site, the other has some craters, that one will be made into a dangerous terrain.

I have fun making this landing site! (WIP)

Tael
Fio'O

Post#174 » Feb 07 2015 04:49

Top work on the Broadside, was interesting to see the weathering etc added over time. :)

Keeper
Shas

Post#175 » Feb 07 2015 09:26

I agree, the broadside looks outstanding :) I really like your simple but awesome looking color scheme :)

Marw
Shas

Post#176 » Feb 08 2015 03:04

Wow, your clean and high contrast paintingt style looks absolutely gorgeous on those broadsides. Nice subtle modification also. Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing. :)

Patchoro
Shas

Post#177 » Feb 08 2015 10:17

Thanks for the kind words guys!

The terrain is progressing nicely. Compared to my painting of units this is a real quickjob! Very relaxing.
Building stuff like an extended surface for the honoured empire statue and some wall constructs is real quick and easy with PS foam.
I have discovered a new aspect of the hobby, where I can just tinker about and detailing is a bit less urgent.

I dry brushed the terrain with some old acrylic grey paint I had left over after a painting job around the house. Mixed that up with some black and a brown-ish colour.
Surprisingly I used very little paint so I have enough to spare for the other 4 squares still to be made.
Afterwards I paint brushed the lighter areas with some Vallejo wash. All in all the whole process took me less than 1,5 hour! (new record for me)
Considering these 4 squares took me roughly half a day to complete I am pretty happy how this first try turned out.
Watching the oil-based paint dry took the most time.
For the other four squares I am considering options like painting in details like traces of roads and such.

Looking for inspiration i found this link:
http://www.pworkwargames.com/en/29-pvc-wargame-mats

Patchoro
Shas

Post#178 » Feb 09 2015 07:20

Hi guys,

to introduce more line of sight options for my terrain I made 10 walls sections.
Working with PS foam is awesome. In 3 evenings I learned a lot about this stuff.
Spray can priming made this material behave in surprising ways which I exploited to the maximum to get this ancient and weathered (my thing) look.
All in all a very rewarding experience which proved to be relatively quick, very cheap and IMHO pretty realistic.

Return to “Project Logs”