Patchoro's eternal WIP

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Patchoro
Shas

Re: Patchoro's eternal WIP

Post#181 » Feb 10 2015 05:18

Shymer wrote:Those wall sections are astonishing. In a good way! :P

If you have a moment, could you note down some details on how you chose the right type of material (do you pick a particular density/depth/finish) - what you learned about it - and how you went about doing cracks and chunks out of the top? The end effect is beautiful. I wish I had three days outside of looking after kids to experiment.

Am I right in assuming that you've undercoated in dark grey and then dry-brushed in light grey with brown wash?

Thanks for the positive feedback!
The process:
The walls are made of 2cm thick extruded polystyrene (XPS) foam. The density I am not sure of, I guess type C (high density).
The material is best cut to size with a saw. Cutting is more for detailing, not for angular work.
Make sure to sand down well after making your shape. My first wall sections were a bit course and the sawed surfaces look less like concrete and more like wood (stripe patterns).
For glueing parts together I use PVA woodglue. For straight lines I use a file. To damage the walls I use a sculpting tool to chip parts out of the wall.
Making dents in the material and cutting lines to make cracks in the walls is a real fun job. I like telling a story by creating interesting surfaces.
After all that it is time for an undercoat. I use the regular spray cans from Citadel or Army Painter.
This will bite into the XPS and eat away at it which will create a somewhat textured surface which will respond well to dry brushing.

In answer to your question: The walls are NOT painted dark grey / light grey.
I used a watered down mix of Vallejo olive green and Vallejo black wash for the base coat.
Drybrushing was done with a mix of Vallejo pale green with Citadel administratum grey.
I used Vallejo rust wash for the browns, no need to water it down because this wash is not to extreme when it dries up.

Below picture shows the materials used and the difference in colour compared to using black / grey for a surface.
That black/grey one was my first experiment with making an object, and as you can see it looks less convincing compared to the wall.

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#182 » Feb 10 2015 06:17

Great tutorial and finished product! how many board tiles are you planning to make?
For the greater good!

Patchoro
Shas

Post#183 » Feb 15 2015 09:34

Macknight wrote:Great tutorial and finished product! how many board tiles are you planning to make?

The terrain will be made up by 6 tiles, a regular gaming table. I will use all 8 tiles I have got, so I have some options with the map creation.

Currents status:
6 tiles to play on! :)
From a buddy I got some isolation material which I used to get some rocky formations on the map.
I abandoned the idea of a fixed elevated terrain. Modular rocks are more in the spirit of a flexible map.
These rocks are made up of a less dense polystyrene and are as a consequence less durable.
To offer them some protection I coated them with a thick layer of flexible wall paint which I later sprayed with black primer. This I gave a grey over/drybrush.
Later on I will detail them some more

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#184 » Feb 16 2015 11:38

Looks great, though I hope you got +1 to hit for the Imperial Fists, they stand out like sore thumbs there.

What do you think of the quality of these boards as a modular set up?

- Tael.

Patchoro
Shas

Post#185 » Feb 17 2015 04:21

Tael wrote:Looks great, though I hope you got +1 to hit for the Imperial Fists, they stand out like sore thumbs there.

What do you think of the quality of these boards as a modular set up?

- Tael.

Hi Tael,

The imperial Fists are yellow to show they want to stand out on the battlefield and engage any enemy. Brave souls!

I am very happy with the result of my battlefield. I repainted the last two tiles because they were too clean looking compared with the first four.
That is the lesson learned: that it is hard to keep an even consistency when you work in phases.
I fixed it adding another layer of paint mixed with even courser sand. This worked out fine and the map looks more battle worn now.

As to versatility: all items on the map will be modular. Combined with mixing up the tiles I hope this provides a varied battlefield.
I have two more tiles to play around with. I ordered some city of death buildings to fill the map even more. In addition to that I just bought two styrodur plates of 2x60x120 cm for less than 10 euros. :))
So enough material to keep me occupied!. Anyhow, even though some details need to be done (like the roads) I think the battlefield looks very cool already!
Check it out.

Patchoro
Shas

Post#186 » Feb 28 2015 10:49

Short update: Slowly I am getting towards the proper apocalyptic 40K feeling...
In plasticard I cut out the empire logo. I think it works out great for airbrushing the empire logo on the map (see on the left side).

Currently I am working on detailing the roads, so they transition better from tile to tile.
And I have a load of buildings to paint up. So, back to it!

Patchoro
Shas

Post#187 » Mar 01 2015 01:33

Since my battlefield needs items on it, I decided to play around today with the GW battlefield accessories.
I had some Vallejo pigments which i wanted to try out to see if I could achieve a realistic rust effect.
The idea is to coat the barrels afterwards with chipping medium and paint them another colour.
But since I am very pleased with the current result and am now undecided how to move forward... :)
To be continued!

Patchoro
Shas

Post#188 » Mar 01 2015 06:12

Took the step and applied Vallejo chipping medium. I painted the barrels deep green and later scrubbed some (a lot actually) green paint off.
Finished it with a mat varnish and re-applied some pigments to make it all look more integrated and realistic.
Fun stuff to play around with and learning full experience!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#189 » Mar 01 2015 09:16

Really convincing finish; think I might have to check out this Vallejo kit, Aun knows I use enough of their paints :D

Deet
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#190 » Mar 02 2015 12:45

Looks good! I'd also recommend the Modelmates rust liquid. Paints on dark rust red straight out of the bottle, or if you add a little water it gets nice and bright orange in an incredibly natural way. Works great.

Patchoro
Shas

Post#191 » Mar 16 2015 02:38

Deet wrote:Looks good! I'd also recommend the Modelmates rust liquid. Paints on dark rust red straight out of the bottle, or if you add a little water it gets nice and bright orange in an incredibly natural way. Works great.

Thanks for the tip, Deet. I am looking forward to try that.

Meanwhile I am still going at the map. It was to reflective, so photographing it was challenging.
Since I want to photograph future battles I had to fix that.
A matt varnish spray did not cure it enough, so I went at it with heavily watered down pigments.
With only a little bit of pigment I was able to cover the entire map and fix the reflection.
After spraying it once more with matte varnish it looks way better!
This picture was taken with a flash and perspective corrected, hence the lighter bottom tiles.
As you can see: almost no reflection any more, even with a flash! Happy with that! :)

The tiles are such that I can move them around and create a few different looks.
Next post I will update on some of the buildings I am currently building/painting.

Patchoro
Shas

Post#192 » Dec 27 2016 03:04

hi guys,

after a long silence, just a short post to show the hobby is still alive.
Yeah I finished quite a few buildings after my last post, but never came around to making some decent photographs.
Since this is my eternal WIP topic, let me post my youngest WIP: the Librarian from the Dark Vengeance box.
To do: finishing the base, get the guy a backpack, touching up some highlights.

I will try to follow up soon with some little ongoing 40K projects.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#193 » Dec 28 2016 03:56

That is a beautifully painted mini. I'd love to see more of him, and of what became of your project.

Return to “Project Logs”