Project log: Broadside with "missile gun" and tau quadgun

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Chris
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: [WIP] Hazard Suits and other stuff

Post#19 » Sep 28 2012 02:51

So guys, my army grows further and further...

I managed to paint all three XV9 Hazard Suits and to highlight them. The look really cool in my opinion and I'm really satisfied! But look:

Further I bought me some allys. Here are some pics of Eldrad and a squad of rangers. I will play Eldrad as a normal Farseer.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Although Eldrad is not perfect, he looks good. The first Eldar I painted! Some details have to be fixed and of course he waits for some shrubs and sand. The Rangers will follow.

But today arrived my newest toys: two Tetras and a XV81 Battlesuit (the guy with a SMS on his back!). I plan to buy twinlinked Burstcannons for him, so with his SMS and the Burstcannons he has 7 shots on 18". I like ;)

And if I won't play him with a SMS he looks great... and can count as carrrying a normal missisle pod.

As always I wait for your comments!

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#20 » Sep 28 2012 03:06

Great painting work Chris,

Those Hazards look sharp in that scheme, and Eldrad looks like he's going to turn out nice too.

modelglue

yazchar
Vespid

Post#21 » Sep 28 2012 05:34

Wow, you have improved so much, those XV9s look great, congratulations on your hard work and effort, it has paid off! I have to agree with R.D. though on the "dancing", my advice, for battle suits of any type, keep both feet on the ground or in the air, not one of each!

Chris
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#22 » Sep 29 2012 02:54

yazchar wrote:Wow, you have improved so much, those XV9s look great, congratulations on your hard work and effort, it has paid off! I have to agree with R.D. though on the "dancing", my advice, for battle suits of any type, keep both feet on the ground or in the air, not one of each!

thanks a lot!

Concerning the dancing queen... you're right. I never saw that that way, but since you guys destroyed the illusion I see all my "One foot in the air Suits" dancing. But it's too late. I tried to fix it on my Hazard, but it would mean to break the leg. Something I really don't want!!

So my Suits will dance in the future. The dance of death! ;)

Chris
Shas'La
Shas'La

finished XV81, Rangers, Tetras and a Remote Sensor Tower

Post#23 » Oct 16 2012 01:28

Hello Guys,

I'm back again. Unfortunately Photobucket is not willing to upload my images at the moment, so I had to use Image Shack.

First, here is my Sensor Tower with highlights.

Here are some pictures of my Rangers. The new allies for my Tau. I wont go for a new army. Eldar will be just allies. Not more.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

After that Eldar love, I painted my Tetras. I like them really! They are my new favorite markerlight deliverers on the battlefield. The Tetras itself are very small. Even in comparison to the Piranha they are small! I hadn't expected, that they where THAT small! ;)

ImageImageImage

And my new commander, a XV81 Battlesuit. With his SMS and a sync. Pulscannon he's a monster! That are 7 S5 AP5 shots. And it's a great model, too!

ImageImage
ImageImage

I hope you like the pictures. I'm very satisfied with the new models. I think, my allies fit very good to the rest of my army, what do you think? Eldrad is a Ulthwé special Character, so the Rangers had to be Ulthwé too, of course. With the grey mantels and the red masks there are some colors, you can recognize on my Tau

C&C is welcomed as usual!

Thanks a lot
Chris

some preview:

I've bought today a second sniper drone team and Shadowsun. I'm excited how they will work. I never used a single sniper drone team. Now I have two teams, I will give them a try.

Tastyfish
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Tetras, XV81, Rangers...

Post#24 » Oct 17 2012 07:29

Any chance of a scale shot of the three Tau capital ships, ideally up against a Imp or Chaos cruiser? I've got a Merchant and an Explorer and going I'm quite tempted to use the merchants as Heros and then convert up a smaller ship to represent the 4 hits Merchants as they seem to be the right sort of size against the other Cruisers.

Chris
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Tetras, XV81, Rangers...

Post#25 » Mar 11 2013 04:13

Tastyfish wrote:Any chance of a scale shot of the three Tau capital ships, ideally up against a Imp or Chaos cruiser? I've got a Merchant and an Explorer and going I'm quite tempted to use the merchants as Heros and then convert up a smaller ship to represent the 4 hits Merchants as they seem to be the right sort of size against the other Cruisers.

Unfortunately no. Maybe a friend of me has some imperial ships and I can go for a shot in the next few days.... but not too much hope for that. Excuse me, that I answer now. Didn't saw it. So if there is still need of a compare, I will try it.

But now, I made little progress. Shadowsun still is in progress. But my gierlfriend bought me R'alai and a Team of 3 support weapon battery from the Eldar.

I hope you like R'alai and the support weapon. There are still 2 complete support weapons to paint. But I like how it turned out. I hope you guys like it too.

As always c&c is very welcomed.

lostinnm
Shas

Post#26 » Mar 13 2013 05:50

Chris wrote:Thanks for the motivating words guys.

So the guy I talked to, said, that I should make a thin layer of badab black ONLY over the bright grey highlights, to darken them a little bit. That would help that they do not pop out and painting mistakes aren't so obvious.

If I understand you guys right, you suggest, that I should go with black (or purple) over the whole tank, to make after highlights some depths.

I have to say, that I'm a little bit skeptical....

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this, but here are a few examples that show highlighting black:
Tutorial: Basics – Back in Black: Painting Black Armour
Black Armored Model with blue/grey highlights

And a few examples of my work:
Or depending on the scheme, you can get away without highlighting it:
In this case I didn't want the black to pop out but fade in and be less noticeable than the other colors around it.

The last option is to do both,
1. Highlight in a dark color depending on the overall scheme.
2. Go over highlight with a grey
3. Wash with an ink related to the colored highlight.

Chris
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#27 » Mar 15 2013 03:07

lostinnm wrote:Sorry it took me so long to get back to this, but here are a few examples that show highlighting black

Thanks for that. So you mean, to make a little bit more blue in the highlight?

The Highlight lines on the picture are very cruel. The are in reality less dramatically at all. I'm maybe not the best in painting, but more worse in photographing ;) and I only have a smartphone camera.

But meanwhile I have painted on my second support weapon. You can see here:

And the crew member:

Although I'm satisfied with my Eldar at the moment, I want improve me of course. Further more, I'm not satisfied to 100% with the paint scheme. The red/grey colors of my Tau are not "valid" for the Eldar. I wanted the starfleet of "ulthwe" and painted the black of their armor in a decent grey. But have yet no idea where I can place some red to identify with my main army, because the Eldar are only allies... not more...

I hope these pictures can show you what I mean. Can you see a solution for my "problem"? Or is the dark grey enough and I should keep them both a little bit different?

Thanks for your help

Chris

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Christophers Tau project. R'alai and weapon support battery

Post#28 » Mar 15 2013 03:33

I've always loved the Ulthwe color scheme.

I think that the dark coloring and gemstone color is enough to keep them connected. Unless you are trying to make the eldar out to be Tau'va converts they don't need to have matching armor colors.
Eldar have always been aloof and only ally themselves with lesser life forms when it suits their needs. They use other armies to complete their objectives, none more so than the Ulthwe.
So a distinct difference between armies is healthy. Plus you get to practice with different paint schemes.

If I may, your black highlights will look a bit better if you do them in 3 layers instead of single highlights. However, that is time consuming and I can relate with not wanting to double your highlighting time; besides your highlights are pretty decent anyways.
Also, make sure you are keeping in mind that light only comes from one general direction (mostly from above). So on the platform, for example, you would only highlight the lower paneling below the main gemstone, since its surface is exposed to the light.

Again, the highlights look good, and probably look even better in person. Just some thoughts.

Mauler
Shas

Post#29 » Mar 16 2013 05:53

Nice work duder, none of it looks OTT and it all fits nicely :)

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#30 » Mar 16 2013 09:10

I like what you have done so far!

Keepe it up.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#31 » Mar 16 2013 12:09

I'm guessing you are using Codex Grey as a highlight for black?

Black is a hard colour to highlight and I used to very lightly drybrush Codex Grey onto the edges which allowed me to slowly build up the shade gradient so it did not stand out too much.

My latest attempt was to use a watered down Shadow Grey as the blue/grey colouring is not as extreme as straight Codex Grey.

Have a look at my Librarian on a bike here on the front mudguard to see what I mean (it almost looks purple).
The Landspeeder was done using the drybrush method.
Sorry that I have no Tau in black - mine are Dark Angels Green.

If you need any more info then feel free to pm me.

lostinnm
Shas

Post#32 » Mar 16 2013 06:05

They're looking good, here are a couple more examples of Ulthwe armies using colored highlights. The beauty (and difficulty) with black is that you can really highlight it with almost any color, so long as it isn't too bright and it ties in with the rest of the model. It doesn't have to be blue, it's just that dark blue is one of the more common colors to use.
Shadow blue highlight
More shadow blue
And even more shadow blue
Shadow grey and red highlight

IMO, after looking at them some more, if you are playing your Eldar mainly as an allied contingent, rather than blue or grey I would go with a dark red highlight to tie the two armies together, even though they have two different paint schemes. That would also help tie the red gems and warm colored base to the rest of the model.

Chris
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#33 » May 04 2013 03:09

lostinnm wrote:IMO, after looking at them some more, if you are playing your Eldar mainly as an allied contingent, rather than blue or grey I would go with a dark red highlight to tie the two armies together, even though they have two different paint schemes. That would also help tie the red gems and warm colored base to the rest of the model.

thanks a lot for all those encouraging words from all of you. I thought very much about this comment. Dark red highlights seemed a perfect solution. I painted even the first one with those red highlights. It was the basic "flat red" color with "chaos black". But it looked strange with my other (Tau) models. Unfortunately I made no pictures!!! *facepalm*

Now, I went with my basic grey color (german grey) and my drybrush over the black and brushed it. With the same highlight color as before (and this is the same color as I used for my Tau models to highlight their grey armor) I highlighted it again. And the grey color fit's excellent to the rest of my army. So I decided to go that way.

The battery is now completed. There is an obvious coherency between the Rangers and the weapon batteries AND my Tau army. But it's obvious too, that it is a different army. Here are some pictures (the Crisis isn't highlighted yet, but the picture is similar to the ones with R'alai. The weapon battery is a little bit more grey now. In reality you see, that it isn't black anymore, it's a dark grey.):

This is the whole squad:

And some WIP pictures. On my little balcony were today over 20°C (21°C :D ) so I took my chance!

I'm working at the moment on Firewarriors with Pulse Carbines and a second Sniper Drone Team. Additionally I finished Shadowsun. Her Drones, and the Markerdrones of R'alai are still waiting to be completed. :::(

I'm happy how she turned out with the red armor. You can see the grey highlights on the grey armor? It's the same as on my Eldar. Dark red highlights felt not right... on both, the Eldar and the Tau.

Thanks again for all those comments and assistance. Each time I post here (what I'm saying.... each time I visit this site!) , I'm impressed of the community and I'm glad to be a part of it!

Chris
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Chris Tau project. Again weapon support battery 'n Shadowsun

Post#34 » Nov 02 2014 06:59

Jesus Christ... I have to blow away the dust of my log. Long time nothing posted... but my forge hasn't rested since the last time.

I've bought the Firebase support cadre and a lot of other things like a Razorshark or a Tigershark, etc. also I'm proud to have 3 Riptides although I never used more than 2. :-/

3 broadsides were converted. I love the look of the guns.

Some Kroot

A quick look to all of my unpainted models except of some drones.

One of my Riptides with the possibility to swap weapons. Another one is painted too.

It's going big baby:

And my slightly converted Razorshark

And here are my Drones, beautiful Drones...

For now I will buy no other Tau models after I painted 4 hammerheads, now those Broadsides an the one unpainted Riptide are waiting to be finished. After that... We will see....

But I started to collect some buildings for a city fight map. thanks a lot to

http://www.warmage.de/Terrain-Kits/Sci-Fi/Gebaeude-28/

Those are buildings from burn in designs I think. Those are really beautiful and I'm looking forward to buy more stuff and some pieces from the skyway project.

With all parts delivered it was possible to make some additional terrain pieces like those:

Chris
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Chris Tau project. Updates and beautiful buildings

Post#35 » Jan 02 2015 05:52

Short before the last year ended, I fought a battle against Dark Eldar.

I went with

Shadowsun and 3 Crisis with Fusionblasters
Ethereal
Riptide with Ion accelerator
another Squad of Crisis with dual missile Pod
2 Squads of Fire Warriors with Devilfish
Razorshark
3 Remora Drones
2 Tetras
Ionhead
Skyray

After I destroyed a lot of his army in the initial shooting phase, I slowed down a bit. In turn 3 and the following turns the goods of the dice helped me no more and the battle went from a clear favor to my side to a really really close match.

In the end, it was a unlucky draw. But it was an enjoyable match. Much better than a clear win with total destruction of my enemy.

Tomorrow we will have another match, I think it will be a 2vs.2 random team partners.

I will bring my new buildings from warmage and hope to get some nice shots.

I look forward to buy my first pieces from skyway project

This will be my list:

+++ Tau 2000 (1999pts) +++

++ Tau Empire: Codex (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment) (1999pts) ++

+ HQ (155pts) +

Commander Shadowsun (155pts) [Command-link Drone]

+ Elites (634pts) +

Stealth Team (254pts) [2x Gun Drone]
····Stealth Shas'ui [Counterfire defence system]
····Stealth Shas'ui (fusion) [Target lock]
····Stealth Shas'vre [Fusion blaster, Markerlight and target lock]

XV104 Riptide (180pts) [Heavy burst cannon, Twin-linked smart missile system]

XV8 Crisis Team (200pts) [2x Shield Drone]
····Crisis Shas'ui [Missile pod, Twin-linked missile pod]
····Crisis Shas'ui [2x Missile pod]
····Crisis Shas'vre [Missile pod, Twin-linked missile pod]

+ Troops (424pts) +

Fire Warrior Team (212pts) [9x Fire Warrior Shas'la with pulse rifle, Gun Drone]
····Devilfish [Disruption pod, Sensor spines, Two Gun Drones]
····Fire Warrior Shas'ui [Pulse rifle]

Fire Warrior Team (212pts) [9x Fire Warrior Shas'la with pulse rifle, Gun Drone]
····Devilfish [Disruption pod, Sensor spines, Two Gun Drones]
····Fire Warrior Shas'ui [Pulse rifle]

+ Fast Attack (358pts) +

Piranhas (110pts)
····Piranha [Fusion blaster, Sensor spines]
····Piranha [Fusion blaster, Sensor spines]

Razorshark Strike Fighter (168pts) [Decoy launchers, Disruption pod, Missile pod]

Tetra Scout Speeder Team [FW] (80pts)
····Tetra [Sensor spines]
····Tetra [Sensor spines]

+ Heavy Support (428pts) +

Hammerhead Gunship (146pts) [Blacksun filter, Disruption pod, Ion cannon, Sensor spines, Twin-linked smart missile system]

Hammerhead Gunship (146pts) [Blacksun filter, Disruption pod, Ion cannon, Sensor spines, Twin-linked smart missile system]

Sky Ray Missile Defense Gunship (136pts) [Blacksun filter, Disruption pod, Sensor spines, Twin-linked smart missile system]

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

Best regards
Chris

Myrdin
Shas

Re: Chris Tau project. Updates and beautiful buildings

Post#36 » Jan 03 2015 04:13

Very nice army. I like the look of it, simplistic yet plaesant to the eye when deployed on the table as a whole.
The color scheme is nice and the overall execution seems pretty fine to me.
The only thing i noticed on some pictures (it is noticable namely on Shadowsun and other smaller things) is that you apply rather thick ammount of color - mistake i too often did. I would recommend to trim it down a bit with a medium, into softer layers and then apply some slight wash.

Also i like the pose for your Riptide, much more dynamic than the standard pre pinned GW pose he comes with.
Will be looking forward to more updates on your army. Keep up the good work ;)

Return to “Project Logs”