[WIP]Tau Drone Army - New expansion incoming!

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
User avatar
Kiblams
Shas
Posts: 156

Re: [WIP] Kiblam's Tau Drone Army

Post#61 » Oct 14 2012 09:57

Working on the Fire Drones this weekend, trying to bring the paint job on them all up to the same level.

Image

They all need allot of work, though are finally all looking consistent. :D

The more uniform the 4 squads become; the more menacing I think they look. :evil:

User avatar
Kiblams
Shas
Posts: 156

Re: [WIP] Kiblam's Tau Drone Army

Post#62 » Oct 18 2012 03:35

Ok, I have all my drone army painted to what I consider to be 'tabletop standard' except for the bases:

Image

And slightly off topic I just wanted to show off my Industrial scenery collection so far, I am about 10 pieces off a full board worth :)

Image

The next update will hopefully include a Tetra conversion and another Broadside Drone :D .

Thanks guys.

Orgun
Shas
Posts: 51

Re: [WIP] Kiblam's Tau Drone Army

Post#63 » Oct 18 2012 05:43

Wow dude you really knocked that up that army quickly didn't you. Really liking the the board as well. Are you going to add anymore "drone" broadside? Really like the one that you already got.

Nice gaming board to.

Orgun

P.s I post them spare weapons and suits Saturday so you get them on Sunday.
.

User avatar
Kiblams
Shas
Posts: 156

Re: [WIP] Kiblam's Tau Drone Army

Post#64 » Oct 19 2012 03:52

Orgun wrote:Are you going to add anymore "drone" broadside? Really like the one that you already got.


Yeah I have the Finecast Broadside upgrade pack at home all prepper and the Remora Drones will arrive from Forgeworld today or Monday; one for the broadside drone and one for a Tetra Conversion (it's going to be painful hacking up my painted Tetras for this one)

Orgun wrote:Nice gaming board to.

Orgun

P.s I post them spare weapons and suits Saturday so you get them on Sunday.


Thanks... and thanks again :D

User avatar
Kern
Kroot
Posts: 220

Re: [WIP] Kiblam's Tau Drone Army

Post#65 » Oct 19 2012 08:11

Wow, I always wanted to start a full drone army but never had the guts to start due to a lack of actual drone models...
This is an amazing project, I would love to play against it. The only two remarks I have is that as you pointed out already, the bases need some decent work, and maybe you could try your hand at some sept markings on top? If you place all the markings on the same spot they might look a lot more detailed and uniform at the same time. Just a thought :smile:
Kern
As life flies past, you better grab it!

User avatar
Huru MorDae
Shas
Posts: 224
Contact:

Re: [WIP] Kiblam's Tau Drone Army

Post#66 » Oct 19 2012 10:12

You need a devilfish with drones :D
Manta spam, its the future.
The Tau on The Attack
Manta

User avatar
Kiblams
Shas
Posts: 156

Re: [WIP] Kiblam's Tau Drone Army

Post#67 » Oct 19 2012 11:25

Kern wrote:Wow, I always wanted to start a full drone army but never had the guts to start due to a lack of actual drone models...
This is an amazing project, I would love to play against it. The only two remarks I have is that as you pointed out already, the bases need some decent work, and maybe you could try your hand at some sept markings on top? If you place all the markings on the same spot they might look a lot more detailed and uniform at the same time. Just a thought :smile:
Kern


Thanks, The Sept markings are next on my list of things to paint as I certainly won't be leaving them as 'tabletop standard' forever, and the lack of identifying marks does make using all 4 squads in close proximity on the table a pain in the backside. I wanted to get the basic paint on and then paint the more complicated details such as the highlights, sept markings and any weathering when I really feel in the mood to paint. I always find that I can only paint the finer details well if I am properly in the mood for it and really don't want to run these guys.

Huru MorDae wrote:You need a devilfish with drones :D


Agreed, though the design for the Drone transort currently evades me :::(

User avatar
Kiblams
Shas
Posts: 156

Re: [WIP] Kiblam's Tau Drone Army

Post#68 » Oct 20 2012 05:02

Time again to get a little feedback from the community, I have begun developing the Drone prototype version of the Tetra Skimmer from FW. This uses a Tetra and Remora Drone model together for a single conversion with a little basic green stuff to make it all fit. :fear:

I have a feeling that this may be a Marmite conversion (love it or hate it) though I am eager to hear what your opinions are:

Image

I have an inability to judge a model without a basic level of paint on it, hence why there is a very rushed initial paint job on the Prototype. :neutral: Though it is by no means finished at this point as more green stuff work is needed in places and I have plans for an antennae or two.

I am relatively happy with what I have so far, it matches the size and look of the Tetra quite well and to be honest I think that as a model it fits the bill for looking fast (it has 5 engines instead of the standard 2) :D

Thanks for looking guys.

User avatar
Mek'an'ik
Fio
Posts: 71

Re: [WIP] Kiblam's Tau Drone Army

Post#69 » Oct 21 2012 05:55

Firstly, well done on the work done so far!

Secondly, your Tetra conversion: at the moment, I think it's missing something. The canopy is meant to protect personnel, and without the personnel the canopy looks.. Tacked on? So I would suggest putting something on the underside of the canopy to give it something to protect. Techno bits to represent advanced targetting AI or something!

Thirdly for you Devilfish drone carrier... I would suggest a Devilfish with the rear engines raised to give more access to the passenger compartment. Then rip that out completely and replace with racks where the drones could dock to. You would then also get the three door ways to use as other drones else where in the army.

Keep up the good work!

Mek

Edit:

Or alternatively you can make something like this for your drones:

http://forums.tauonline.org/conversion/10994-tau-moray-eel-heavy-drone-transport.html
Check out my sculpting blog:

Far Future East

User avatar
Kiblams
Shas
Posts: 156

Re: [WIP] Kiblam's Tau Drone Army

Post#70 » Oct 21 2012 10:36

Mek'an'ik wrote:Firstly, well done on the work done so far!

Many thanks!

Mek'an'ik wrote:Secondly, your Tetra conversion: at the moment, I think it's missing something. The canopy is meant to protect personnel, and without the personnel the canopy looks.. Tacked on? So I would suggest putting something on the underside of the canopy to give it something to protect. Techno bits to represent advanced targetting AI or something!

Yeah I can see what you mean, I think I may have been insisting on keeping the top bit to ensure that the model is the full length of the original Tetra, and now that bit is done I am seriously considering shortening it. that way the canopy will be simply a raised area for improved markerlight positioning on the vehicle.

Mek'an'ik wrote:Thirdly for you Devilfish drone carrier... I would suggest a Devilfish with the rear engines raised to give more access to the passenger compartment. Then rip that out completely and replace with racks where the drones could dock to. You would then also get the three door ways to use as other drones else where in the army.

I like your thinking, I am sure that I will come up with something as pretty soon I will have finished building the main bulk of the army and I can concentrate on Painting them to a higher standard as well as designing more bespoke models such as the Devilfish.

Mek'an'ik wrote:Or alternatively you can make something like this for your drones:

http://forums.tauonline.org/conversion/10994-tau-moray-eel-heavy-drone-transport.html

I have seen that before and it looks great, though I am not sure I have the money to be cutting up 10 Devilfish models :P

Cheers for the feedback, really get me thinking of improvements. :D

Return to “Project Logs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests