[WIP]Tau Drone Army - New expansion incoming!

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Wolfs16
Fio'El

Re: [WIP] Kiblam's Tau Drone Army

Post#81 » Nov 07 2012 10:45

I have to agree. This army is fantastically converted and wonderfully themed. I applaud your creativity and hobby skills!

Great job man!

Kiblams
Shas

Post#82 » Nov 07 2012 02:19

Thanks for the kind words guys, it really means allot and helps me continue to invest my money and time in this army. At one point I had wondered if I had taken on too much and if I could possibly get a full field-able and competitive army finished, you have all kept me motivated along the way.

I will continue to improve the paint jobs and get some better photos together as I go.

Thanks again.

Kiblams
Shas

Post#83 » Nov 08 2012 05:43

Another quick update is a closer look at the Sniper Drone team, niw with highlighting but no Sept markings just yet. :D

I hope to go through all of the units and give better photos than I have previously (when I am happy for a close-up of them ;) )

Thanks for looking.

Sabre
Shas

Post#84 » Nov 09 2012 07:18

A-W-E-S-O-M-E... Its I can't figure out how much time you employed for converting the whole army...I've never seen nothing like this before and it makes it very original.

Congratulations dude! You'll save many tau lives with the drones! By the way, are the Crisis drones converted Remoras drones?

Kiblams
Shas

Post#85 » Nov 12 2012 03:37

Sabre wrote:A-W-E-S-O-M-E... Its I can't figure out how much time you employed for converting the whole army...I've never seen nothing like this before and it makes it very original.

Congratulations dude! You'll save many tau lives with the drones! By the way, are the Crisis drones converted Remoras drones?

Many thanks, yeah i heavily used the Remora drones in this conversion, the crisis drones, broadsides and Tetra all use them.

I'm off on holiday this week so it might be a while before i get any more painting done.

Kiblams
Shas

Re: [WIP] Kiblam's Tau Drone Army - Fluff updated

Post#86 » Nov 28 2012 12:26

I have been working on my Industial and Necromunda terrain in the last week or so and so have not shown the drones much love.

I have however also been working on rewriting the fluff from the first post on this thread so that it reads better and also includes more detail. See the first post if you fancy a read

I apologies for any grammer mistakes, I have reread the passages a few times yet may have left some in.

As usual I am keen to know your thoughts on the fluff aswell as the models.

Many thanks!

Kiblams
Shas

Re: [WIP]Tau Drone Army - Fluff updated

Post#87 » Nov 29 2012 06:19

By improving the fluff I was inspired to spend a little time with my Crisis drone conversions, here they are highlighted and ready for the sept markings to be painted:

Here is a better picture with my more or less completed Sniper Drone Teams:

At the moment all of these can be set up as the commander by simply removing the magnetised weapons and antennae and putting them on one of the other drones. I hope to further distinguish the commander with the sept markings I paint on him.

I will try to get some better pictures of them in better lighting as the highlights never look quite right in photos unless you have the correct lighting. I also hope to get more done now that I seem to be back in the mood for painting :D

Thanks for looking.

Kiblams
Shas

Re: [WIP]Tau Drone Army - Sniper Teams Finished

Post#88 » Dec 01 2012 04:00

I am continuing to get the drones and their sept markings painted:

Commander Clapt'rap has the most markings at the moment, I am fairly happy with them (the ones on the 'nose' I am most happy with) and it really helps to add some detail to the models.

Here are all of the Crisis drones I have at the moment, set up as Deathrain still (I couldn't be bothered to find the Plasma Rifles in my case for these pictures) and the team leaders have been distinguished by the red block on the front and the more elaborate markings on the top of the disk.

The red of the markings has come out great against the two shades of green, I am very pleased with that. Though I hate taking these close up pictures as my painting on these is not my best work and that is annoying as I am really making an effort to make them look great :sad:

I am also getting in a bad habit of neglecting the weapons due to them being magnetised and so not attached to the models when I am painting them, the same issue for the bases too, I really should dedicate some time to both to make the model look more complete.

I do need some advice through; do you think I should put some sept markings on the weapons? (sides of those Missile Pods and Plasma Rifles)

I do have plans to put the blue electric glow in the engines at the rear of each of them, though do you think I should do the same in the 'nose' vents?

hownowbrowntau
Shas

Post#89 » Dec 01 2012 09:20

Kiblams wrote:I am continuing to get the drones and their sept markings painted:

Commander Clapt'rap (snip)

I do need some advice through; do you think I should put some sept markings on the weapons? (sides of those Missile Pods and Plasma Rifles)

I do have plans to put the blue electric glow in the engines at the rear of each of them, though do you think I should do the same in the 'nose' vents?

Claptrap? Tau empire inherited an old human mining/penal colony called Borderlands? Always wondered what border they were on. :P

Unlike an XV8, you've got more open surface area suitable for sept markings. Given the superb job you've done on the drones' markings, you could afford to add more to your wepaons without overcrowding the result

Blue glow is a good idea, but I'd pass on putting it on the front myself. If you do decide to do so, perhaps give the back ones a brighter effect, to imply forward movement. Maybe just paint the front a flat dark blue, like an inactive thruster plate.

I am truly in awe of this project of yours, as are many in my gaming group. The dedication of time and money, and the persistance you've shown with this is amazing. I think I can speak for all of us here and wish you great success with this, and we're all looking forward to poictures of the entire force once you've finished.
Wait a sec...there are rules for Chaos?

Kiblams
Shas

Post#90 » Dec 01 2012 02:05

hownowbrowntau wrote:Claptrap? Tau empire inherited an old human mining/penal colony called Borderlands? Always wondered what border they were on. :P

It started as an observation from my gaming group and has lead to a running joke so I have given it a small Tau tint and use 'Clapt'rap ;)

hownowbrowntau wrote:Unlike an XV8, you've got more open surface area suitable for sept markings. Given the superb job you've done on the drones' markings, you could afford to add more to your wepaons without overcrowding the result

Blue glow is a good idea, but I'd pass on putting it on the front myself. If you do decide to do so, perhaps give the back ones a brighter effect, to imply forward movement. Maybe just paint the front a flat dark blue, like an inactive thruster plate.

Cheers, I think you are right on both points and to be honest I could do really with the practice for both by doing them all ;)

hownowbrowntau wrote:I am truly in awe of this project of yours, as are many in my gaming group. The dedication of time and money, and the persistance you've shown with this is amazing. I think I can speak for all of us here and wish you great success with this, and we're all looking forward to poictures of the entire force once you've finished.

Awe thanks! :biggrin: It really is nice to know that I am not the only one getting a kick out of my little venture into drones, I am so used to playing with mates using them that I forget sometimes that I have made an almost completely custom Tau army (the hammerheads are pretty standard) and I only remember when I have to stop myself thinking about entering doubles tournaments. :sad:

I think the biggest expense in terms of cost was the Fire drones; each one requiring a drone, pulse rifle, shield generator and 25mm resin base. The biggest issue I had in labour was all of the drilling; every drone is magnetised to it's flying base and each resin base was drilled for the flying storks. I dread to think the number of magnets I have used during this project :eek:

Return to “Project Logs”