[WIP]Tau Drone Army - New expansion incoming!

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Kiblams
Shas

Re: [WIP]Tau Drone Army - Painting updates

Post#91 » Dec 02 2012 04:19

I thought it was about time to paint the flying bases now that I have added more detail to most of the army.

I know that I cheated with using pre-cast resin bases, though I would have really struggled to get as far as I have without them :D

I am wondering though if they need something more? And if they do; what do you think that should be?

Thanks guys.

Cipher-032
Shas

Re: [WIP]Tau Drone Army - Bases Update

Post#92 » Dec 02 2012 04:53

Firstly, I love your army, this is only the second one ive seen (BTP's one was cool).

The thing the bases need is a slight hint of static grass, bits and pieces.

And possibly a thin green wash on the rocks. Just to add a small amount of colour to them.

Normally on all my bases I add bits of armour, weapons, and paint them various greens, and greys and make them rusty just to make things stand out.

Kiblams
Shas

Post#93 » Dec 03 2012 12:21

Cipher-032 wrote:Firstly, I love your army, this is only the second one ive seen (BTP's one was cool).

The thing the bases need is a slight hint of static grass, bits and pieces.

And possibly a thin green wash on the rocks. Just to add a small amount of colour to them.

Normally on all my bases I add bits of armour, weapons, and paint them various greens, and greys and make them rusty just to make things stand out.

I think you are right, I will look into/howto getting the static grass in patches on them. Also thanks for the heads up on the green wash for the rocks, being colour blind; this is the stuff I generally miss :D
Last edited by Kiblams on Dec 03 2012 04:58, edited 1 time in total.

Blackstorm
Shas

Post#94 » Dec 03 2012 04:22

I agree- I think the bases need some extra details.

With the number of models you've got you probably want something quick and easy so...

Paint some PVA in patches on the bases where you want the grass to be, then sprinkle some grass-flock on. The PVA will dry clear and you can just shake the rest of the flock back into the container.

Obviously, have a practice on some test-bases first to try and weigh up how much grass you think you want per base etc.

Looking awesome so far though, with or without grass! :D
Skill is to be rewarded, but the rewards must be earnt

Kiblams
Shas

Post#95 » Dec 06 2012 07:43

Blackstorm wrote:I agree- I think the bases need some extra details.

With the number of models you've got you probably want something quick and easy so...

Paint some PVA in patches on the bases where you want the grass to be, then sprinkle some grass-flock on. The PVA will dry clear and you can just shake the rest of the flock back into the container.

Obviously, have a practice on some test-bases first to try and weigh up how much grass you think you want per base etc.

Looking awesome so far though, with or without grass! :D

Thanks! I will give that a go when I next get the motivation for the bases (I tend to do all 60-odd in one go)

I have spent a little time softening the highlights on the drones as the bold lines looked great from a few feet away, though were a little crappy up close. Here is a little picture to give the general effect of what I've done so far:

As always I really appreciate any feedback on this project, I have another day of games this weekend so will likely have more updates next week.

Kiblams
Shas

Re: [WIP]Tau Drone Army - Painting Update

Post#96 » Feb 17 2013 06:11

In an effort to re-energise my motivation for the Tau drones before the new codex I have made a video for Youtube which goes into more detail and showcases the Drone army better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZKcRMBixA0

Hopefully that shows them quite well.

I will try to get back to more conversions soon, thanks for watching!

yazchar
Vespid

Post#97 » Feb 17 2013 07:29

Great video, and great looking army, one of the most unique out there that I've scene on the web. I love the bases too! Thanks for sharing all of this.

Kiblams
Shas

Post#98 » Feb 18 2013 12:32

yazchar wrote:Great video, and great looking army, one of the most unique out there that I've scene on the web. I love the bases too! Thanks for sharing all of this.

Thanks for your kind words, I am sure I will extend the army with the new units that accompany the new codex :)

Leigabar
Shas

Post#99 » Mar 21 2013 01:13

I just can't wait Riptide in Your drone version :D

If we would somehow meat up at the same table I will voluntary loose the battle just to have more time to watch those neat conversions :biggrin:

B.R.
Leigabar

Kiblams
Shas

Post#100 » Mar 21 2013 04:36

Leigabar wrote:I just can't wait Riptide in Your drone version :D

If we would somehow meat up at the same table I will voluntary loose the battle just to have more time to watch those neat conversions :biggrin:

Thanks for your kind words, I am really torn on how to do a Riptide conversion, the model looks so good that I am tempted to use the Riptide with minor conversion work rather than work up a whole drone replacement...

I like what I have seen in the new pictures and hope to get into the new codex and work on using the new Pathfinder drones in my new conversions :)

Return to “Project Logs”