I have taken a "lengthy" (lengthy being a few months
)break for 40k and am only just now getting back into the swing of things.
So, to get myself warmed up, I'm posting the pics from the project I finished just before packing up and moving across the country.
My scratch-built Tigershark AX-1.
There was an Apocalypse game planned at my FLGS for late November last year (2013).
In October, I was sent to my company's corporate branch for two weeks of training. So, I stopped by a Dollar store, picked up some scrap cardboard, bought some scissors, a box cutter, glue, and tape, then got to work.
Since this was made using pictures on my phone as references, the sizes and whatnot are far from perfect, but it got the job done and I finished it in time to help kill a Chaos Warhound Titan at the big game!
Some quick sketches while looking at a pic from forgeworld's website, then cut out.
Just kept putting the layers on and checking my scales, trimming or adding where I needed to.
A pic of the heavy railguns WIP. I just used scrap cardboard for the extra layers.
Here it is by the end of the two week training session, along with the other stuff I brought along.
While on a sales trip I added some thin paper to it to try and smooth out the edges and give it a solid look.
I bought some toothpicks to use on the intake areas
Added the toothpicks and let it dry
Added some more paneling. Also, added sections cut from a ballpoint pen casing for all the little exhaust ports.
I put on a few coats of watered down white glue to harden up the surface.
The rest of the work I did at home the week before the big game. Here it is painted next to the base I whipped up for it.
The extra panel lining was all done with a ballpoint pen (the sharpie wouldn't work on this surface
) to try and give it a little more detail.
And here it is on the Apocalypse table, flying straight for its target. The enemy fired every weapon that had range and ability to glance but the Tigershark survived with a single hull point (thanks D-pod!)
Here is the final picture. It got one last chance to shoot the warhound. It took off several hull points but didn't kill it, weakening it for the rest of my team to finish off. Both superheavies were gone by the end of the turn.
So there you go. It may not be very pretty, but it gives you the idea and everyone at the big game was impressed. It was fun to make and fun to play, especially since almost every Superheavy in the game was on the opposing team...