[WIP] El'mos return to the Greater Good - Stormsurge

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Re: [WIP] El'mos return to the Greater Good - Stormsurge

Post#301 » Mar 11 2017 03:05

Hello !

Nice to see my 3D printed parts in the building process rather than a finished model. Can I link this post to my item pages (project log model review and 3D printed resources) here on ATT ?

As I see some yellow filler on it, do the parts needed some adjustments or improvements ?

I am waiting to see how you will manage to magnetise the rear bits of the main gun. I am still struggling on how to magnetize them properly to have both options available.

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#302 » Mar 11 2017 10:56

You are welcome to link away :)

The filling was fairly minor except for the right hand missile stanchion. At the top is a flattened triangular tab which slots into the recess in the shoulder of the Stormsurge. For me, the tab did not completely fit into the corresponding recess. Whether that was my error or the fault of the design - I am not sure but it did not take much to fill it.

My only "complaint" is that the plastic on the forearms is quite thin which does not lend itself well to fitting magnets. I realise that this is to keep weight and costs down and not everyone is as magnet addicted as I am. ;)

I am blending both versions of the rear of the main gun into one, fits all, version. I had a look and it is possible with magnets but it would have been very intensive and in the end I decided it was not worth the effort.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#303 » Mar 11 2017 01:37

Thanks for your inputs.

The dorsal missile support trapezoidal tab was initially 1 mm misaligned on my prototype, and I tweaked it a little, but without reprinting the model (because it was a part that can be sanded if the fitting wasn't perfect anyway). So this is a minor tweak to add to my to-do list.

Magnets holes can be drilled in the model, but the thinness can be a problem. You can add some plasticard/milliput/
greenstuff into the gauntlet (it can be tricky to access) if you need a more thick support. My weapon have two 3x1mm magnets in drilled holes, super-glued on their side and the assembly seems strong. Adding inner cylinders to the gauntlets to fit 3mm magnets when holes are drilled can solve this issue. Added to to-do list too.

Since Shapeways prices are mostly volume based, using a 1mm thickness instead of 0.5mm almost doubles up the price. Stuffing the final models (after cleaning) with green-stuff, milliput, resin or maybe plaster, is a cheaper way to make them stronger if needed.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#304 » Mar 11 2017 05:26

By Aun that's beastily already and not even assembled fully. The odd angle photos really show off and often unseen part of the model kit too :)

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#305 » Mar 17 2017 03:20

Cheers guys :)

One week into the WIP completed and I have had to quickly tack it together as is because it will be appearing in a 3000pts/person Apoc. game tomorrow.

The main gun magnetisation has worked well along with the magnetised close in secondary weapons fit on the gun arm. The missile pods will need magnetising along with the waist at some point as the beast does not easily fit into any carry case I currently have.

Still about 2 weeks of detailing/weathering/decals and the base to do so you will have to be patient for the final photos :)

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#306 » Mar 18 2017 07:47

ImageImageImage
This is one of the best model with my parts I saw so far.
Can't wait to see it finished.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#307 » Mar 22 2017 07:54

I really should have reserved my 'Beastly' comment.

Reminds me a little of Crazy Ivan battle suit. This guy is a monster and just screams battlefield domination.

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#308 » Mar 24 2017 03:12

Cheers Tael however certain parodies to Monty Python sketches have been made already on another site ;)

WIP end of week 2

Just a few more decals, weathering and the base to do so the plan is ready by next weekend to make room for a Sisters of Silence squad which has been part done in the painting corner since January :(

The conversion kit has blended in well with minor filling and the only alteration I made was to mount the Cluster rocket system at 90° to the planned position (hence the rabbit ears look). This meant cutting off the mounting ball and moving it to the base of the pod. A problem as written in a previous post was the thinness if the material in the arms which caused me to damage one when fitting a magnet but the shield hides it so no real impact on the model.

After a transportation issue last weekend I magnetised the waist with 2 x 6mm N52 magnets which work well.

The BC/Flamer/Frag projectors are magnetised using a support system from a Riptide I had left over and mounted above the main gun.

The generator from the Driver cannon has been combined with the piping from the Blast cannon for the best of both worlds and in all honesty I could not be bothered to magnetise it...

I have added some antennas from the old marker drone kits to bulk out the shield a little as it looked more like a buckler than a shield.

The next Tau project will start in April and I am considering 2 x Tetras which have been gathering dust in the painting queue :)

Tael
Fio'O

Post#309 » Mar 24 2017 07:38

Yes! I vote Tetras :D

Great loadout photo spreads - drool. :biggrin:

Bloodknife92
Shas'La

Post#310 » Mar 25 2017 03:28

I'm going to regret this, but I never could seem to like the idea of arms on a Stormsurge. Don't get me wrong, your 'surge looks absolutely amazing (I can't wait to see it based). The paint job is superb, the posing is fantastic and the detail of the model as a whole is never below top standard in every area! It does look a bit like one of those stereotypical busty german wenches though, with its head back so far :P

Now I'm going to go hide from all the hate :)
The days of goodly English is went

Return to “Project Logs”