[WIP] El'mos return to the Greater Good - new projects

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: [WIP] El'mos return to the Greater Good - Stormsurge

Post#307 » Mar 22 2017 07:54

I really should have reserved my 'Beastly' comment.

Reminds me a little of Crazy Ivan battle suit. This guy is a monster and just screams battlefield domination.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#308 » Mar 24 2017 03:12

Cheers Tael however certain parodies to Monty Python sketches have been made already on another site ;)

WIP end of week 2

Just a few more decals, weathering and the base to do so the plan is ready by next weekend to make room for a Sisters of Silence squad which has been part done in the painting corner since January :(

The conversion kit has blended in well with minor filling and the only alteration I made was to mount the Cluster rocket system at 90° to the planned position (hence the rabbit ears look). This meant cutting off the mounting ball and moving it to the base of the pod. A problem as written in a previous post was the thinness if the material in the arms which caused me to damage one when fitting a magnet but the shield hides it so no real impact on the model.

After a transportation issue last weekend I magnetised the waist with 2 x 6mm N52 magnets which work well.

The BC/Flamer/Frag projectors are magnetised using a support system from a Riptide I had left over and mounted above the main gun.

The generator from the Driver cannon has been combined with the piping from the Blast cannon for the best of both worlds and in all honesty I could not be bothered to magnetise it...

I have added some antennas from the old marker drone kits to bulk out the shield a little as it looked more like a buckler than a shield.

The next Tau project will start in April and I am considering 2 x Tetras which have been gathering dust in the painting queue :)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#309 » Mar 24 2017 07:38

Yes! I vote Tetras :D

Great loadout photo spreads - drool. :biggrin:

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#310 » Mar 25 2017 03:28

I'm going to regret this, but I never could seem to like the idea of arms on a Stormsurge. Don't get me wrong, your 'surge looks absolutely amazing (I can't wait to see it based). The paint job is superb, the posing is fantastic and the detail of the model as a whole is never below top standard in every area! It does look a bit like one of those stereotypical busty german wenches though, with its head back so far :P

Now I'm going to go hide from all the hate :)
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#311 » Mar 25 2017 10:30

I think that the Tetras are definitely in with a good chance :)

Don't worry Bloodknife92, I will keep the Kroothounds on their leash for now ;)

Admittedly it does give the appearance of leaning back a little in the photos although this is not as pronounced in real life - one of those optical illusion thingies? perhaps...

I was completely of the opposite outlook - a Tau suit with no arms... Heresy!
In fact this is what kept me away from the model up to now as I only just found the arms I liked.
There are also missile fists as an alternative so it would look like the classic style XV88 for the next one but for the third I think I may try to use these same arms to give a look like with the newer XV88 railside modelon my next one - "carried rifle". It may mean lengthening the arm to be able to get the rifle to go around the chest bump but that is for another year...

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#312 » Mar 25 2017 01:04

El'mo wrote: but for the third I think I may try to use these same arms to give a look like with the newer XV88 railside modelon my next one - "carried rifle".

I had started to create the corresponding arms (but not enough time until June to achieve).
The first concept does not uses hand and hold the main gun like the twin heavyrailrifle (upper back & middle side). I am not too convinced with it (arm shapes are not final, they are just placeholders).
(Super-secret concept image follow... :crafty: )

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#313 » Mar 26 2017 01:12

Would love getting some of those arms. Saw some conversion like that just with gundam arms in a facebook group and that's honestly the best looking Stormsurges I've ever seen so far so I'd love replicating it with proper arms. :D

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#314 » Apr 01 2017 07:00

The Stormsurge is complete and moving on to the Tetras :)

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#315 » Apr 07 2017 09:48

And the Tetras are done :)

There will now be a slight pause in the Tau as it will be a summer of Tanks for my IG to clear out the backlog...

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#316 » Apr 08 2017 08:08

These make me so happy :D

Lovely work man, and the cammo looks really good across the chassis :)

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#317 » Apr 10 2017 10:18

Tetras on a proper flight stand really improve them, I think. Rather than just sitting barely above the ground like stock.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#318 » Jun 05 2017 04:43

Thanks guys :)

I found an alternative for Kroot hounds and just had to get some.

The models are from Zealot Miniatures.com and where available as a limited run of 250 units which looks like they have now sold out although they do tend to restock them every so often (this is the 2nd 250 unit run I know of).

I ordered 2 of each pose and they have now arrived and look great :)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#319 » Jun 05 2017 05:39

They look great but £14.99 for three 4p models is way too much. That borders on the ridiculous price GW put on the Skitarii chicken walker.
Apart from me not thinking Kroot Hounds are that good at all (seriously, it's just 2 S3 AP-1 attacks per model on a T3 W1 6+ model with LD5), you'd want the full unit size of 12 or multiple small units of 4 to make the most out of them which would mean £60 for 24 VERY squishy S3 AP-1 attacks.

Call me again when you find a good alternative for the Krootox Riders since those look pretty good now actually. :D

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#320 » Jun 05 2017 05:58

Well GW sell a pack of 4 failcast models for £15 and you are limited to just those poses so as a collector it was not too bad a deal to be able to add a bit more variety to my pack. I now have 14.

Being a modeller rather than a gamer I am not too worried by stats as when I do game I tend to go for fluff and what looks good rather than outright table beating armies - they look cool so that is enough :)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#321 » Jun 09 2017 06:32

Look good, and seeing them in alternate lighting helps a lot. Can you put a Kroot alongside one for scale? :)

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#322 » Sep 06 2017 01:18

I will get around to posting them side by side Tael... eventually... honest ;)

Here are the next projects for the rest of the year. They have been stored in a dark cupboard for quite a while now so it is about time they saw the light of day :(

Magnets will be used heavily ;)

The 'Cuda was the new FW model which was heavily deformed. I received a new hull from FW and was wondering what to do with the spare one as I did not want to bin it.
I managed to find printed out parts to build a version which looked like the original 'Cuda.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Re: [WIP] El'mos return to the Greater Good - new projects

Post#323 » Sep 07 2017 09:02

I like where this project is starting, what are your plans for the top of the hull? It looks like the deformation happened right where the Tau panel lines are on the center. It's an opportunity for some battle damage, unless you have other plans?

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Re: [WIP] El'mos return to the Greater Good - new projects

Post#324 » Oct 03 2017 08:24

Sorry for the slow reply Agentarrow - been a little hectic with a car accident (not my fault and no injuries :) ) plus then trying to find a new one in fairly quick time but it is all good now.

I will be trying to repair it as much as possible then will be weathering it as slight damage.

Moving on... I am getting reinforcements ready for Apocalypse game at the end of the month. I hope to have my whole collection on the table at the same time so that will make a great photo opportunity ;)

These are magnetised and I may go for Ion rather than Rail but we will see.
2 new Skyray/Hammerheads and 4 eBay salvaged hulls with various states of damage which I am in the middle of repairing along with the Barracuda from earlier.

Return to “Project Logs”