[WIP] El'mos return to the Greater Good - Stormsurge

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
JagdtMirage
Kor'Ui

Re: [WIP] El'mos return to the Greater Good.

Post#21 » Feb 07 2013 11:36

Che Gue'vesa wrote:Really nice work, I especially like the Backpacks on the tanks.

Agree'd.

Are you using the standard 'roll some greenstuff into a sleeping bag' then a little wire after while it's still somewhat squishy?
S7,AP3,10inBlast,IgnoresCover. Smells like...victory.

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#22 » Feb 11 2013 03:21

JagdtMirage wrote:Are you using the standard 'roll some greenstuff into a sleeping bag' then a little wire after while it's still somewhat squishy?

The sleeping bags etc where all on the vehicle accessory sprue you used to get with IG vehicles but now have to buy seperate. My greenstuff work needs more practice.

Update on the XV88: Sprayed black last weekend and is taking position at the front of the painting table so work will start tonight.
Unfortunately due to lack of camera where I am at the moment - no photos till Friday. I will try to get it finished for the weekend but we will see what happens ;)

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#23 » Feb 14 2013 04:59

So, the bad news is it will not be ready by the weekend as the camouflage is taking far longer than I thought.

The arms, legs, head and torso are mainly done but I have yet to start on any of the weapons options or any of the weathering / lenses / plasma glow etc. :sad:

I will post WIP photos tomorrow.

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#24 » Feb 15 2013 12:25

So, as promised here are the WIP photos - be gentle with me as there is still loads to do ;)

The bits....

Views of the suit

Rear with XV8 jet pack

and with the Broadside power pack fitted

and all together

the plan with the pose was to show the Broadside advancing ASS working, striding over an abandoned IG location searching for new targets (not forgetting it also had to look ok if I was using it as an XV8). I think it works :D

JagdtMirage
Kor'Ui

Post#25 » Feb 15 2013 01:04

El'mo wrote:So, as promised here are the WIP photos - be gentle with me as there is still loads to do ;)
[snip]
the plan with the pose was to show the Broadside advancing ASS working, striding over an abandoned IG location searching for new targets (not forgetting it also had to look ok if I was using it as an XV8). I think it works :D

I LOVE the Stabilization System conversion you've done, and how it really is a 'bolt on module' That's just epic.

:)

I truly wonder if the Original Modelers at GW used zip ties now.

Of course, I've been dying to get back to Tammies Hobbies and crawl through their scale modeling section looking for appropriate sized 'storm shutters' that I could shine LEDs through...
S7,AP3,10inBlast,IgnoresCover. Smells like...victory.

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#26 » Feb 17 2013 09:15

Cheers - it is a really easy thing to do and only took 4 little magnets.

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#27 » Feb 21 2013 02:41

Quick update - the XV88, after 2 long evenings, is done.
I had to add a couple of bits of brass rod to stop the railguns spinning/drooping due to the weight but it all works well now.

Photos tomorrow ;)

Next up is 3 autocannon teams for the Gue-vesa.
These are already partially done so should be ready for the end of next week.

After that I have a DA vow to complete then I will be back to do the other 2 XV88s.

Lets see if it all goes to plan :P

Kiblams
Shas

Post#28 » Feb 21 2013 07:15

I really like the solution you have for covering the jetpacks on the suit for 'Broadside Mode' that is the one thing I didnt get nailed down before I abandoned my standard battlesuits for the Drones.

Looking forward to more stuff, keep it up!

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#29 » Feb 22 2013 01:26

Thanks Kiblams - I try to stay busy :)

Here is the XV88 all done

Link to bigger photo

Pictures removed as no longer Gue-vesa. Can now be seen HERE

More next week
El'mo

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#30 » Apr 12 2013 08:54

To get this thread moving and whilst waiting for the incoming order (at some unseen time in the future :roll: ) I am going to do a vow system where I plan and construct to a time table.

To start:
Here is what I have on the painting backlog....

5 x Crisis Suits (2 will be converted as the last picture above as Broadsides)
2 x metal Rail Rifle Pathfinders
2 x Skyray (boxed)
1 x Hamerhead ( Ebay rescue project)

On order:
2 x Broadsides
1 x Riptide (you won't be seeing much of this till he is unveiled for the competition)
1 x XV8-05 Commander
1 x Sun Shark (the plan is to go magnet heavy on this)
1 x box of Pathfinders

As you can see there is quite a bit to do and my chosen camouflage scheme does not make for a fast paint job but I think I have found a cure for that.

Not being an airbrush user I have gone down the Army Painter spray can route. I have bought the equivalent versions of DA Green, Goblin Green and Bestial Brown along with the Maskfx splinter pattern masking sheet.

The plan is to base spray the suits and vehicles in brown, apply 1st mask and respray Goblin Green then add the final mask and spray in DA Green. This should end up (hopefully) as the rest of my Cadre.

I also want to revisit all my old Tau to sharpen the paintwork and revisit some of the models completely.

As I am waiting for most of the paints to actually arrive I will start small and hereby vow to complete the 2 Pathfinders by the end of April.

Tau'va

Return to “Project Logs”