[WIP] El'mos return to the Greater Good - new projects

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
JagdtMirage
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

Re: [WIP] El'mos return to the Greater Good.

Post#31 » Apr 12 2013 08:57

El'mo wrote:1 x Sun Shark (the plan is to go magnet heavy on this)
Tau'va

Would you like my initial observations on magnetizing the Sun Shark?

:)
S7,AP3,10inBlast,IgnoresCover. Smells like...victory.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#32 » Apr 12 2013 09:07

There is a good "how to" here but I plan to have a good look at it myself when it turns up as my magnet-fu is at a black belt level after loads of recent experience with my DAs. Plus I need to use the magnets I have first....

Thanks for the offer though :)

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#33 » Apr 12 2013 09:14

Yeah, the waiting is annoying, guess why I started working on my two Forgeworld suits!

I am looking forward to see your models.

JagdtMirage
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

Post#34 » Apr 12 2013 12:32

El'mo wrote:There is a good "how to" here but I plan to have a good look at it myself when it turns up as my magnet-fu is at a black belt level after loads of recent experience with my DAs. Plus I need to use the magnets I have first....

Thanks for the offer though :)

I found that the best things for getting my magnet-fu back on were "Suture removal tweezers" they're disposable-design but sturdy enouh to keep on the hobby table, plastic. A whole 'suture removal kit' at my local medical supply place is $1.75 and comes with a pair of scissors and gauze in a sterile package. Also, from the same place a few packages of 'cotton tipped applicators' basically 6 inch long one-ended cotton swabs with a wooden shaft a little thicker than a toothpick. I've been using the swabs for various things, from quick daubs of liquid cement, to wiping out the cup of my airbrush in color changes, but the shafts, so useful having lots of disposable wooden sticks around the hobby table.

Still on the hunt for 'where the hell did my teflon tweezers go.' Because superglue wouldn't stick to them either.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#35 » May 03 2013 09:27

Work has now begun on the first of my new Broadsides - prepared for spraying

It is also magnetised to be able to swap between weapons/systems on the 2 rear mounting points

I used 2.5mm diameter x 1.5mm deep rare earth magnets but had to fill in the cut outs on the suit mounting points to get a wide enough position for the drilling (you can see the greenstuff).

I will be starting to spray tonight so we shall see how this progresses :P

Before you ask - I did not get 4 drones in my kit. I had a couple of gun drones lying around ant it is a shame to loose the extra drone bits from the sprues.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#36 » May 05 2013 04:05

Over the last 2 days I have been putting the splinter camouflage onto the XV88.

I used the Maskfx 15mm system for the first time and it made the camouflage pattern much simpler and faster to apply than before.

The colours used where all Army Painter spraycans:
Angel Green
Goblin Green
Leather Brown (this is a bit lighter than my usual brown but with a little Devlan mud it should blend in)

All it needs now is the detailing which should take about 3 days against the last XV88 which took 2 weeks to paint.

Don't feel shy - c&c welcome :P

JagdtMirage
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

Post#37 » May 05 2013 05:12

El'mo wrote:Over the last 2 days I have been putting the splinter camouflage onto the XV88.

Don't feel shy - c&c welcome :P

That's quite gorgeous.

I've been debating grabbing that masking tape for my new crisis suits. I'll admit everything I've gotten is sitting at waiting for another color other than primer (though the XV-104 and barracuda are on their 3rd and final coat of primer, finally, so much sanding) Probably another wave of progress on Wednesday evening :)

I do very much love how you've magnetized this model, and I'll be making the 2nd Nu-Broadside of this set in it's style.

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#38 » May 05 2013 02:28

Now I have to get my Broadside painted to keep up with you right? ;)

It looks amazing!

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#39 » May 17 2013 02:57

Thanks Che and JagdtMirage :)

Here is the current state of play.
The drones are about 90% complete. They just need markings and weathering.
The Suit is at about 70% with about half the brown still to darken along with most of the detailing.
The HRR is almost complete as are the secondary weapon systems.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#40 » Jun 07 2013 10:21

After many delays and false starts the XV88 is now complete :P

Apologies as this will be photo heavy but bear with it as it is worthwhile.

First up the magnetisation worked well. Below is a picture of the bits. I used 2.5 x 1.5mm rare earth magnets.

Here he is fitted out with the TLHRR

And here he is with the HYMP

Finally the drones.

CnC always welcome :D

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#41 » Jun 07 2013 11:31

Nice work El'mo!

I really like the HYMP B-Side. It looks like your work is really progressing well both in quantity and quality. I have to admit that the camo scheme you've chosen is really susceptible to hiding the details in your work without the proper amount of shading and highlighting. But, you seem to have handled capturing the depth and contours of the suit despite the splinter style scheme you adopted. The markings are a nice touch but I think you could bump them up a notch by adding white paint.

Good Work, hope to see more!

modelglue

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#42 » Jun 07 2013 12:38

Thanks modelglue :)

The camo scheme does tend to hide a lot of the details (some are also hidden by my frankly poor photo skills) but I like the realism that it gives the model - I've never been one for bright and shiny Tron Tau. I think that the Tau would use every trick in the book to help them survive... even if it is just from the MK1 eyeball.

adding white paint
His head is white paint, does that count :)
I know what you mean but I made a concious choice to try not to go overboard on the markings and my eyes are not what they used to be :eek:
Maybe on the next one.

Riptide next- Dah-dah-daaaaa!

Kharnv'Vor
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#43 » Jun 07 2013 12:58

That is awesome work. I particularly like the glow effect on the generator. So many people go overboard with OSL when they paint areas like that, I'm glad to see you kept it reasonable and let your choice of colors and skill at painting them make it seem to glow.

Really looking forward to your Riptide. Also curious what scheme you have planned for your Sunshark: are you going to keep it similar to the suits or paint it differently since it's Air Force (Caste) rather than Army.

I just got myself some digital camo Maskfx to use for finishing up the tail booms on my Valkyrie (the rest was done with homemade masks). I'm amused to note I've used very similar colors as you have here, though mine are Testors acrylics brushed on. Hopefully I can get results half as good as you have.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#44 » Jun 07 2013 01:55

I have not given the flyer (whichever I go for or MAGNETS :P ) much thought yet.

My DF/HH have a light grey belly for when they go high so I will probably carry this over onto the flyer. The upper surfaces, using history as a guide, would use the same cam as the Broadside so when viewed from above it would blend into the ground when in the ground support role.
Something like this perhaps

The Riptide will be painted in the same scheme as the XV88 but this will be a much bigger model so I also invested in the larger version of the splinter MaskFX. Fingers crossed :roll:

I used to use Testors enamel paints when I first started then GW paints and now I am migrating towards Vallejo/Army painter as you get much more for less cash with the same if not better (I think) quality. This latest model was a combination of GW/AP and Vallejo paints with a Revell Matt varnish thrown in for good luck ;)

timb6ea
Shas

Post#45 » Jun 07 2013 02:55

That broadside looks awesome. I really like the reddish color at the front of your missile pods. Blends very nicely with your camo scheme but helps with the visibility. Very nice. I'm also a big fan of the posing.
Will Flak'O for food.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#46 » Jul 01 2013 09:24

Thanks timb6ea :D

Just for general info I am making a trip to the UK and will be visiting GW in Nottingham with a couple of other players on the 2nd August (I have even reserved the Tau board for a game or two).

I will be taking some of my Tau so that is your chance to see them in the flesh :fear:

If anyone is in the area wants to meet up for a chat feel free ;)

Next is the Riptide which should be going for its initial spray on the weekend then should be ready by mid August.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#47 » Aug 04 2013 02:59

Just got back from GW HQ where I had the pleasure of using a small part of my Tau on the official GW Tau table. :biggrin:

Looking at the scenery has really got my creative juices ticking over and I will have to build some of my own.

Gaming wise I played 2 games, IG and Typhus zombie force.

The Tau Empire prevailed against the IG with a score of 18:2. The only remaining IG model was an immobilised Leeman Russ Plasma which I had problems taking out.

Typhus's zombie had a Drake which avoided all efforts to take out after the Skyray exploded and flew around broiling my Tau until it was decided that a strategic withdrawal was better for the greater good.

A good time was had and we are planning to try to organise an Apocalypse game at GW at some point in the future so my complete army can take to the field.

PS. bought 2 Remoras :P

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#48 » Aug 09 2013 01:07

Right!

There will be an upcoming push on the Tau front, especially as the BnC ETL II draws to a close.

The plan is to get the Riptide and Remora drones ready for spraying and completed in 2 weeks.

The Remoras will be getting a splinter camouflage upper surface and a pale grey underside to match up with my skimmers. I am planning to use the resin sprues as scenery (some look like they will make great dragons teeth tank traps).

After that I will be getting into some of my Tau backlog of tanks and suits as the trip to GW (and playing on the Tau theme table) has really got me motivated :)

Stay tuned
Tau'va

Return to “Project Logs”