[WIP] El'mos return to the Greater Good - new projects

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Re: [WIP] El'mos return to the Greater Good.

Post#41 » Jun 07 2013 11:31

Nice work El'mo!

I really like the HYMP B-Side. It looks like your work is really progressing well both in quantity and quality. I have to admit that the camo scheme you've chosen is really susceptible to hiding the details in your work without the proper amount of shading and highlighting. But, you seem to have handled capturing the depth and contours of the suit despite the splinter style scheme you adopted. The markings are a nice touch but I think you could bump them up a notch by adding white paint.

Good Work, hope to see more!

modelglue

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#42 » Jun 07 2013 12:38

Thanks modelglue :)

The camo scheme does tend to hide a lot of the details (some are also hidden by my frankly poor photo skills) but I like the realism that it gives the model - I've never been one for bright and shiny Tron Tau. I think that the Tau would use every trick in the book to help them survive... even if it is just from the MK1 eyeball.

adding white paint
His head is white paint, does that count :)
I know what you mean but I made a concious choice to try not to go overboard on the markings and my eyes are not what they used to be :eek:
Maybe on the next one.

Riptide next- Dah-dah-daaaaa!

Kharnv'Vor
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#43 » Jun 07 2013 12:58

That is awesome work. I particularly like the glow effect on the generator. So many people go overboard with OSL when they paint areas like that, I'm glad to see you kept it reasonable and let your choice of colors and skill at painting them make it seem to glow.

Really looking forward to your Riptide. Also curious what scheme you have planned for your Sunshark: are you going to keep it similar to the suits or paint it differently since it's Air Force (Caste) rather than Army.

I just got myself some digital camo Maskfx to use for finishing up the tail booms on my Valkyrie (the rest was done with homemade masks). I'm amused to note I've used very similar colors as you have here, though mine are Testors acrylics brushed on. Hopefully I can get results half as good as you have.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#44 » Jun 07 2013 01:55

I have not given the flyer (whichever I go for or MAGNETS :P ) much thought yet.

My DF/HH have a light grey belly for when they go high so I will probably carry this over onto the flyer. The upper surfaces, using history as a guide, would use the same cam as the Broadside so when viewed from above it would blend into the ground when in the ground support role.
Something like this perhaps

The Riptide will be painted in the same scheme as the XV88 but this will be a much bigger model so I also invested in the larger version of the splinter MaskFX. Fingers crossed :roll:

I used to use Testors enamel paints when I first started then GW paints and now I am migrating towards Vallejo/Army painter as you get much more for less cash with the same if not better (I think) quality. This latest model was a combination of GW/AP and Vallejo paints with a Revell Matt varnish thrown in for good luck ;)

timb6ea
Shas

Post#45 » Jun 07 2013 02:55

That broadside looks awesome. I really like the reddish color at the front of your missile pods. Blends very nicely with your camo scheme but helps with the visibility. Very nice. I'm also a big fan of the posing.
Will Flak'O for food.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#46 » Jul 01 2013 09:24

Thanks timb6ea :D

Just for general info I am making a trip to the UK and will be visiting GW in Nottingham with a couple of other players on the 2nd August (I have even reserved the Tau board for a game or two).

I will be taking some of my Tau so that is your chance to see them in the flesh :fear:

If anyone is in the area wants to meet up for a chat feel free ;)

Next is the Riptide which should be going for its initial spray on the weekend then should be ready by mid August.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#47 » Aug 04 2013 02:59

Just got back from GW HQ where I had the pleasure of using a small part of my Tau on the official GW Tau table. :biggrin:

Looking at the scenery has really got my creative juices ticking over and I will have to build some of my own.

Gaming wise I played 2 games, IG and Typhus zombie force.

The Tau Empire prevailed against the IG with a score of 18:2. The only remaining IG model was an immobilised Leeman Russ Plasma which I had problems taking out.

Typhus's zombie had a Drake which avoided all efforts to take out after the Skyray exploded and flew around broiling my Tau until it was decided that a strategic withdrawal was better for the greater good.

A good time was had and we are planning to try to organise an Apocalypse game at GW at some point in the future so my complete army can take to the field.

PS. bought 2 Remoras :P

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#48 » Aug 09 2013 01:07

Right!

There will be an upcoming push on the Tau front, especially as the BnC ETL II draws to a close.

The plan is to get the Riptide and Remora drones ready for spraying and completed in 2 weeks.

The Remoras will be getting a splinter camouflage upper surface and a pale grey underside to match up with my skimmers. I am planning to use the resin sprues as scenery (some look like they will make great dragons teeth tank traps).

After that I will be getting into some of my Tau backlog of tanks and suits as the trip to GW (and playing on the Tau theme table) has really got me motivated :)

Stay tuned
Tau'va

ShadowRec
Shas

Post#49 » Aug 09 2013 04:04

Hey el'mo great work so far looks amazing. Just wondering how you magnetised the arms on the broadside?
"With the speed of startled Kroot hounds..."

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#50 » Aug 09 2013 05:16

Thanks ShadowRec.

Shhhh - just our secret. No magnets where used on the XV88 arms. It is a tight push fit onto the shoulder ball joint.
I may have to magnetise later as the parts get worn but so far so good ;)

ShadowRec
Shas

Post#51 » Aug 11 2013 05:44

Epic. At least that's one less thing I will have to mag for a while. :D
"With the speed of startled Kroot hounds..."

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#52 » Aug 14 2013 06:44

You know the saying "No plan survives first contact", well it has struck.

It now seems like I will not be able to keep to schedule. The Remoras are looking like they will only be partly completed by the end of the week which will then throw off the expected completion time of the Riptide by at least a week.

The problem is the splinter camouflage effect. It takes ages to do. In 2 full evenings painting (3 to 4 hours/night) I have managed to complete the wings and that is it (although the bases where done in-between waiting for various washes to dry)! I am planning to try to get the BCs and other small bits done tonight but the main body will take a couple of days at least and then there is the weathering......

I will post an update on Friday - maybe I will be blessed by the Ethereals and increase the speed but I doubt it. :(

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#53 » Aug 16 2013 10:09

The light of the Tau'va did not shine on me :fear: In fact I was delayed again with a late finish at work which lost me valuable painting time.

Here is where I am up to at the moment....

The bases are complete :)

The wings and burst cannons are done to a clean state and the drone bodies have been started on.

The underside has been done in a low visibility grey scheme based on some WW2 German aircraft with the grey blending into the splinter camouflage. I think it works well. The ends of the BC have been painted in the same red effect as the last XV88 and this is also the plan with the Riptide's weapons to help to bring them together as a force.

Once the clean painting has been done I will be getting on with the weathering.

CnC welcome as always.

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#54 » Aug 16 2013 02:10

Wow, those Remoras look awesome!

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#55 » Aug 16 2013 02:53

Thanks Che.

I have made a late new years resolution - from now until my backlog is cleared (and maybe some more resin - nearly bought a Barracuda!) I will be concentrating on my Tau.

Initially I will be going to go about it in a planned way......

1.Remoras
2.Riptide
3.Razor/Sun shark
4.Skyray/HH/DF

Then I will look at the backlog again :)
Still have 2 HH, pathfinders, Commander,XV8s and other bits and pieces to do.

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#56 » Aug 16 2013 03:07

El'mo wrote:I have made a late new years resolution

It is never to late, for a new years resolution!

Wait, wouldn't it be an early new years resolution by now?

In that case, it is never to soon for a new years resolution!

I also have to get working on my Tau!

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#57 » Aug 16 2013 03:08

It could be a mid-years resolution (almost) :P

We can keep each other motivated....

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#58 » Aug 23 2013 11:31

The Remoras are done and just in time as I have a game of Apocalypse on Sunday so they will be making a first appearance.
Apologies for the poor lighting on the photos, my photo booth has had a melt down and it is very overcast out.

I don't expect them to perform outstandingly as there are just too many other flyers on the table but we will see.

Return to “Project Logs”