[WIP] El'mos return to the Greater Good - new projects

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

[WIP] El'mos return to the Greater Good - new projects

Post#1 » Oct 26 2012 07:12

Apologies to all members for my treasonous defection to the Imperial cause of late :-( .

But have heart - El'mo is back in the arms of the Greater good :biggrin: .

I have been slowly stockpiling models and can now release to my fellow Tau that the production will soon be starting.

The to do list:
3 x XV8's (plan to play with the poses/magnetise weapons etc)
3 x XV88's (These will be converted from XV8s and bits from Paulsongames [Railguns and missile pods ordered] - when they arrive :)
3 x Skyrays/Hammer/Railheads or Devilfish. The plan is to fully magnetise them for multiuse after all the experience I gained with the Vindicator/Predator models.
Pathfinders (got a good deal on the last of the metal blisters)

I will also need to revisit the camouflage schemes on my old suits and skimmers to bring it into line with my XV84/89 project (this will be a massive job on its own and I am not looking forward to it.

Allies
Planning to do a Gue-vesa (using Cadians or Mantic Corporation troops - depending on the scale - see photo) grouping of allies.
These will not be official allies at first (more of a side track) but I will see how it expands.

At the moment the initial plan is to go for cloth like this:
And armour the same colour as my Fire Warriors but with a more obvious highlight to tie them together, but still stand out.

I will put up a photo of the test model soon :biggrin:

They will mainly use Imperial weapons but the will be the odd pulse weapon thrown in the mix.

At the moment I only have about 30-35 troops but vehicles will follow later.

I will use this tread as my WIP but will also post completed models on my Gallery thread.

More to come.......

El'mo

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Re: [WIP] El'mos return to the Greater Good.

Post#2 » Nov 02 2012 01:23

No comments - Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Lets see what these do :crafty:

Here are the tester models for my Gue-vesa scheme.
I wanted it to be completely different from where I have gone before to both make them "pop" and to challenge my painting ability.

The idea is that the Imperial world has just accepted the Greater Good and has not yet had the modified uniforms and equipment from the Tau.
Hence the Imperial eagles and FOC (means I can use them under the Allies rules)

Without further introduction - here they are
Note: the photos are not up to my usual quality as my photobooth has been temp. turned into a gaming table for this weekend.

Pictures removed as no longer Gue-vesa. Can now be seen HERE

There are a few improvements I need to make with some of the highlighting but they are 95% done.

Edit for poor spooking
Last edited by El'mo on Nov 02 2012 01:56, edited 1 time in total.

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#3 » Nov 02 2012 01:51

Oh wow, I like them!

I guess it takes a lot of patience to do that scheme?

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#4 » Nov 02 2012 01:55

Thanks Che.

The 3 figures took approx 8 hours to get to this stage (2 full evenings of painting) but I think it was worth it :biggrin:

Just not sure how to paint any future vehicles - I would like to keep them Cadian green but maybe with any cloth/backpacks in this desert scheme.

Ideas?

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Nov 02 2012 03:05

Well, all the US tanks that were used along with this scheme were flat tan. But that's kinda boring from a painting perspective. The Tau sept colorscheme with the brown patches over tan might go along with this scheme

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#6 » Nov 02 2012 03:34

El'mo wrote:I would like to keep them Cadian green but maybe with any cloth/backpacks in this desert scheme.

That answers my unspoken/unwritten question on what you are going to do with your Tanks ...

I think it does sound interesting to have green Tanks with some desert-camo equipment on them.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#7 » Nov 03 2012 08:16

Imagine the canvas/backpacks on the Chimera being in the same camouflage as the models - I think it works quite well.

The green on the vehicle blends in with the armour and equipment on the figures :D

Big Bonus - I don't need to repaint a load of my vehicles :crafty:

Pictures removed as no longer Gue-vesa. Can now be seen HERE

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#8 » Nov 03 2012 01:37

It is going to look amazing!

El'mo wrote:Big Bonus - I don't need to repaint a load of my vehicles :crafty:

Especially since you need the time for the soldiers ;)

warpaint overlord
Shas

Post#9 » Nov 12 2012 06:59

awesome stuff man, the SGT really looks cool :D nice work man

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#10 » Nov 17 2012 05:41

Che Gue'vesa
Especially since you need the time for the soldiers

You are not wrong there :::(

warpaint overlord
awesome stuff man, the SGT really looks cool nice work man

Cheers :D

Look at what just turned up - now I have no excuse not to start on my next XV88 unit :(

warpaint overlord
Shas

Post#11 » Nov 20 2012 10:59

man am i regretting trying to build a custom XV88, i cant tell you how much work its taken
i gotta update my thread today with what i have made, all be damend if I'm making more though. i might cast it... not sure yet.

in the mean time however, put some tau up you lazy bum :P

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#12 » Nov 21 2012 06:42

:D

Not lazy - just very over committed with other projects :-(

I will be starting some XV88 suits next week - promise ;)

I will have to convert the jetpacks with plasticard and zipties but the feet will have to stay as a standard XV8.
I will play at magnetising some bits and see if I can pull off an effective XV8/XV88 transformer....

Kiblams
Shas

Post#13 » Nov 21 2012 07:56

El'mo wrote:I will have to convert the jetpacks with plasticard and zipties but the feet will have to stay as a standard XV8.
I will play at magnetising some bits and see if I can pull off an effective XV8/XV88 transformer....

I had started to do this before I got into making the Drone army, though I was struggling on how to make the cover for the jetpacks removable. The best plan I could imagine was to magnetize the railguns to the shoulders and have the jetpack covers attached to the rear part of the railguns, that way only one magnet is needed at the top of the shoulder for both the railgun and jet cover.

Very eager to see what you come up with in that conversion :D

warpaint overlord
Shas

Post#14 » Nov 21 2012 09:45

i did attempt to use the BS feet for mine, but they just looked wrong. i ended up messing with the crisis feet to get what i was going for.

i like the idea of using magnets, might have to steal that idea :P how are you using cable ties though?

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#15 » Nov 21 2012 09:52

Pictures will explain it better - I will try to upload some at the weekend.

The cable ties will give the ridged effect on the cover over the thruster nozzles - must...engage...brain :nice:

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#16 » Nov 25 2012 11:16

Not quite got my head around the cable tie vent covers yet - I will have to give it some more thought this week.

But.... I have started to drill/fit magnets to the first torso so I have been doing some Tau ;)

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#17 » Dec 01 2012 07:44

This is where I am up to as of today....

The vent covers for 1 of the XV88s are about 90% there

The bits are magnetised and the legs have been cut into an upper and lower section for positioning.

Just needs its black spray then the fun can begin :D

This one will be a "prover" model befor I start production on the other 2.

Kiblams
Shas

Post#18 » Dec 01 2012 01:47

I am even more keen to see those jetpack covers in place now that I've seen them.

Cable ties are great for use in conversions, I have been using them on my stuff doe a while and they really add that extra detail that makes conversions convincing.

Return to “Project Logs”