Tearphoenix's Project Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Tearphoenix's Lost 11th Recon Force

Post#19 » Feb 16 2015 03:59

Tearphoenix wrote:I'll try to do some WiP shots or a rough guide on my next jetpack assembly, if you would find that beneficial?

Would most definatly be interested in some notes on how you did that jetpack!!

Im really a big fan of the "Forgeworld" styled arms vs the arms found in the GW kit (they also provide nice conversion bits if not used for arms).
The downside on them is that the hands on these arms appear to be "holding" the underslung weapon, so it'll be harder to model in a pose-able "extended" hand.
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Tearphoenix's Project Log

Post#20 » Feb 27 2015 11:00

So I have been mostly busy with either working on one of a few display pieces for my local store or stripping paint off of used minis.
Thankfully, I am finished with the largest display piece and I see an end in sight to scrubbing off old paint.

First off, here is the piece I was working on. The owner had asked for a non-traditional paint scheme and this is what I ended up with:

Unfortunately, I have not had time to build a new lightbox and the charger for my real camera is missing. So my phone had to suffice for now and has washed out a lot of the colors on the DreadKnight. The last picture is the only one that comes close to catching the transitions and tones.

As for my Tau, I took a couple pictures from one of my existing projects:

Production on my Riptide started for the "Size Does Matter" contest, but I was simply not able to finish it in time, much less to my satisfaction. Unfortunately, I also forgot to varnish it prior to a move, so a lot of the paint is chipping off.

I modified the front torso because I could not stand the exhaust ports. I like symmetry and they were driving me crazy, so I added in the missiles instead and I really like how they worked out.

I want to add some armor around the ankles to conceal how fragile they appear and I am also considering doing some armoring on the head or possible making a custom head piece, since the heads appear so hilariously tiny compared to the bulk of the Riptide. I had originally planned to use the stock HBC, but after seeing Agentarrow's XV105 Tsunami, I can no longer even look at the standard version. So I will be planning to make a larger and (hopefully) more intimidating HBC.

In other news, I started work on an XV8 commander, only to notice terrible miscasts in the finecast. 2-3 emails to GW and a week later I have a replacement, free of charge. I have only had to email them twice on an issue, and both times they have replaced the model within short order.

What I am currently:
A fantasy commission piece
Convert (with WiPs) another XV8 and attach weapon systems

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#21 » Jun 08 2015 02:54

Well, it has been awhile since I have worked on much of anything, but especially Tau.

A local GW is having a small painting competition, so I have been working on a commander in the hopes of finishing him in time. I'm planning to have some painted pictures by the end of the week.

Here is a mock up of the pose. He has since been primed and hopefully I don't have much more sanding to do before painting.

As always, would love some C&C.

Warhound
Shas

Post#22 » Jun 08 2015 02:58

Nice work!

I too have used those pods.. Much more representative of the awesome firepower:-D

Cheers

Warhound
www.resinaddict.com .... go on, you know you need to!

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#23 » Jun 08 2015 10:49

Thanks Warhound,
I don't know why, but I hadn't really paid attention to them before. I was pilfering my bits and noticed them for this guy and now I don't want to use any of the normal missile pods...

Co'da
Shas

Post#24 » Jun 08 2015 10:56

Very nice! The combination of underslung cannons and the big missile pods gives it a very tough look. The pose contributes to that as well. He's got a "EHH?? WHO'S NEXT??" vibe to him, without suffering from GW "pointing off into space"-itis. :P Like a boxer rolling on his feet. I really like the look of it.

What are you thinking for colours?

themoogle
Shas

Post#25 » Jun 09 2015 04:58

Looks really tough and well commander like :) . I was wondering were the missile pods comes from?

Deepstrike
Shas

Post#26 » Jun 09 2015 07:55

themoogle wrote:Looks really tough and well commander like :) . I was wondering were the missile pods comes from?

Broadsides, but you can use two missile pods stacked to do the same thing.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#27 » Jun 09 2015 10:20

Thanks everyone!

The missile pods are actually from the riptide kit.

Co'da wrote:What are you thinking for colours?

Probably the same grey and purple with red accents that I have been using, but I feel my previous scheme is missing something, but I am not sure what yet.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#28 » Jun 22 2015 09:03

In typical fashion, I worked up a ton of motivation and a target deadline only to have a major system crash at work. Oh well, I have made a little progress on my commander, but nothing much to report.

I have decided to step back and look at my color scheme. I am not entirely happy with it and I have only used it on a handful of models, so I think now would be the ideal time to re-evaluate before I have half an army painted and discover I hate it.

In other news, my birthday was good to me this year.

I was surprised to see the clampacks instead of the forgeworld bags. Have they just recently started doing this because of Warhammer World?

Hopefully, I'll have some WiP of a new color scheme soon.

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#29 » Jun 23 2015 05:41

Tearphoenix wrote:As always, would love some C&C.

Not much to give you besides... Awesome.

I finally just got my mitts on this kit, and I am very impressed with the parts breakdown. Lots of scope for conversion over the standard XV and even Farsight's kit. Underslung have been my choice for weapons placement since the FW suits came out, I prefer their mounting style to the slapped on look but the modular approach is most evident in the regular arms.

Co'da
Shas

Post#30 » Jun 23 2015 09:23

It took me a minute to realise that was an airbrush. I thought it was a bit you were going to use as a weapon swap.

:roll:

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#31 » Sep 27 2015 10:52

Once again, it has been far too long since an update.

September has actually been one of my most productive times for my Tau, and hobby in general, in a very long time. In an effort to stay motivated and on task, I have signed up for a "local" (~1 1/2 hour drive away) GW Armies on Parade. I started out doing model armor dioramas with my Dad when I was quite young and it has been an age since I last did anything with scenery. The sheer idea of doing something like this again is both daunting and exhilarating for me. October 24th is disturbing close. Here is a shot of the board so far.

I am hoping to do a light winter theme and I'm planning to do a shattered statue/fountain in the dead space at the front.

I have also nearly completed my Riptide conversion that I started back when the model first came out. I was attempting to finish it in time for the original ATT "Size Does Matter" challenge, but a few days away from the deadline, I realized it was rushed and missing some key conversions that I had yet to envision. I have to hand a lot of inspiration to AgentArrow, I saw his upgraded HBC and I all but threw the stock version against the wall. I have also used a few other conversions I have seen about the web as inspiration. The only conversion that was originally on the Riptide before this month are the missiles.

I still have some more filling/sanding to do on the top of the jets, but otherwise it is ready for paint. I am still tweaking my lightbox and my real camera is MIA at the moment, so please bear with the less than stellar picture. Note, it will be standing on debris or a rock, so the posing will change.

Speaking of paint, I have finally settled on a new paint scheme. It is in the early stages of testing, but so far it is looking great and I am able to practice some airbrushing with it. I hope to have a picture of my commander, from earlier posts, finished and up here by next weekend.

Thanks for looking and as always, I welcome C&C!

Tau to do list:
XV8 Enforcer
2x Crisis Bodyguards
2x XV9
5x Kroot Mercenaries
5 XV15
Riptide
3x Marker Drones (or more to fill space as necessary)

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#32 » Oct 14 2015 09:04

Well, my display board is almost completed. I am making progress on the army itself, but time is quickly running out, so I'll be getting back to that shortly.

Here are a few shots of the board itself. I only need to do the plaque and frost the water effects (they are drying now). I also will need to finish the buildings, but that won't take me long.

Should have some completed suits ready to post soon (I hope...)

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#33 » Oct 16 2015 10:20

Just a quick update with a nearly finished board:

Had some issues with the water effects and I am just waiting for the repair to dry and then I'll finish the pond and pipe.

Finally, I have a test for my new color scheme. I have not done any highlights on it, but here is the beginnings of my new scheme. (ignore the putty holding it together)

Still have a ton to do, but please let me know what you think!

Edit: Realized the pictures needed some work.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#34 » Oct 23 2015 01:52

So just finished my board in time to pack up. Unfortunately, I had to cut out a lot of units due to surprise complications.

I'll take more pictures later since I have to go.

I'm off to drop it off and see about pre-ordering some Tau!
Last edited by Tearphoenix on Oct 30 2015 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#35 » Oct 23 2015 04:00

I love it. Not much else to say!

Good luck on your parade! :smile:
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#36 » Oct 23 2015 08:36

ShasODerpy wrote:I love it. Not much else to say!

Good luck on your parade! :smile:

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I utterly forgot to take any closeups of the board or my units besides a couple quick phone shots of my commander.

I had to drop a few units due to some complications (rescued models that had some horrible cleanup left) and I realized my riptide would take far too long to finish. Which makes me sad because the conversions on him were my largest time sink by far.

Here is a shot from the store. There are some other great boards, so I don't know if I have a shot at a medal, but I am glad I was able to meet a personal goal, even if the board had less units than originally planned.

And also the commander

I still need to do some weathering and touch up once I get him back, but I am really happy with the paint scheme. I think I am going to use this moving forward.

Return to “Project Logs”