Tearphoenix's Project Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Tearphoenix
Shas'La

Tearphoenix's Project Log

Post#1 » Feb 05 2013 07:09

Not much backstory to my force at the moment besides my obsession with snow.

I haven't taken much time to work on my Tau lately, so I am hoping that this will help motivate me to keep up with my force. I have been trying to convert as much as possible since I am not a huge fan of the stumpy XV-8s. I have been converting the legs on all of my suits, but I can't take credit for the leg conversion as it was something I stumbled across surfing the web quite awhile ago.

Here is my first Crisis suit:

My apologies for the lack of focus on the left side feet, my camera refused to focus with the arm sticking out.
This is one of the first models I have tried using modeling snow on.
I am hoping to do a little bit more layering and work on the snow a bit. I have some dead grass I haven't had the chance to try, so I thought I'd give it a shot on the base of the suit.
The arms are magnetized, but I haven't painted up any weapon systems yet.

Any C&C would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Tearphoenix on Feb 27 2015 11:00, edited 1 time in total.

Davou
Shas

Re: Tearphoenix's Lost 11th Recon Force

Post#2 » Feb 11 2013 03:47

Depth of field becomes and issue when dealing with lenses of a focal length above 50mm. Likewise its multiplied when the plane of focus is moved closer to the lens, don't sweat it as long as you got details on the part of the model you wanted to show off!

What did you use for your snow? I'm going to be trying crushed glass this week and would love some pointers.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#3 » Feb 11 2013 11:26

You'e off to a good start. That's a neat scheme (Don't think I've seen another one like it anywhere) with some very subtle edge highlighting. Good conversion work too, I've seen a few similar designs scattered around here. Welcome to ATT Tearphoenix, keep up the quality work!

Tearphoenix
Shas'La

Post#4 » Feb 12 2013 10:05

Thanks for the comments guys!

Davou wrote:Depth of field becomes and issue when dealing with lenses of a focal length above 50mm. Likewise its multiplied when the plane of focus is moved closer to the lens, don't sweat it as long as you got details on the part of the model you wanted to show off!

What did you use for your snow? I'm going to be trying crushed glass this week and would love some pointers.

I actually used GF9's Modeling Snow and tried out one of Games Workshop's tutorials on snow.

After doing everything I wanted on the base, I painted the snow areas skull white before applying the snow with white glue. I want to tweak it some as it seems very bland to me. Not sure if I am going to try for a muddy snow or what yet. Work has been keeping my quite busy.

Edit: Link to GW article.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... Mode=true#

nor'od-alex
Shas

Post#5 » Feb 13 2013 05:18

I think you mean p.v.a. glue?

Anyhow, the glue will turn mostly se-through after a while, though it remains somewhat white at certain areas, buuut,
WELCOME, FRIEND!
sum commenta, ergo sum idotica.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jul 09 2013 06:04

Well, due to moving, visiting family, and my own procrastination, I haven't gotten much accomplished lately.

I thought I would post a small update. I have been working on my Riptide and while I am still a long way off from finishing the model itself, I have (mostly) finished the base.

C&C always welcome.

timb6ea
Shas

Post#7 » Jul 09 2013 06:22

I really like the icicles. What'd you make them out of?
Will Flak'O for food.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jul 09 2013 07:01

timb6ea wrote:I really like the icicles. What'd you make them out of?

Thank you! I used an off-brand equivalent of Woodland Scenic's water effects that I found on sale. I placed some on the plastic from a blister pack and shaped it out with a toothpick. I then let it dry overnight. Most of them looked terrible, but a few turned out nicely.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La

Post#9 » Nov 02 2013 07:11

Well, I have not been able to sit down and work on too much lately, but I think that is about to change. My wife agreed to let me build a work bench to put in our living room, so without any further ado, my first real attempt at carpentry.

Image[/url]

I have some very thin plywood that I'm going to make into a stand for my sculpting tools and paint brushes next time I visit my parents (my dad is essentially a home depot for tools). I'm also hoping to put together some shelves to put on the right of the paint shelf.

Lone Strike
Shas

Post#10 » Nov 02 2013 07:39

Love the work bench! My wife let me put my first station in my apartment's living room. I now live in a house and my garage has turned into a warhammer realm. Keep up the good work!

Return to “Project Logs”