Tearphoenix's Project Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Tearphoenix's Project Log

Post#1 » Feb 05 2013 07:09

Not much backstory to my force at the moment besides my obsession with snow.

I haven't taken much time to work on my Tau lately, so I am hoping that this will help motivate me to keep up with my force. I have been trying to convert as much as possible since I am not a huge fan of the stumpy XV-8s. I have been converting the legs on all of my suits, but I can't take credit for the leg conversion as it was something I stumbled across surfing the web quite awhile ago.

Here is my first Crisis suit:

My apologies for the lack of focus on the left side feet, my camera refused to focus with the arm sticking out.
This is one of the first models I have tried using modeling snow on.
I am hoping to do a little bit more layering and work on the snow a bit. I have some dead grass I haven't had the chance to try, so I thought I'd give it a shot on the base of the suit.
The arms are magnetized, but I haven't painted up any weapon systems yet.

Any C&C would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Tearphoenix on Feb 27 2015 11:00, edited 1 time in total.

Davou
Shas

Re: Tearphoenix's Lost 11th Recon Force

Post#2 » Feb 11 2013 03:47

Depth of field becomes and issue when dealing with lenses of a focal length above 50mm. Likewise its multiplied when the plane of focus is moved closer to the lens, don't sweat it as long as you got details on the part of the model you wanted to show off!

What did you use for your snow? I'm going to be trying crushed glass this week and would love some pointers.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#3 » Feb 11 2013 11:26

You'e off to a good start. That's a neat scheme (Don't think I've seen another one like it anywhere) with some very subtle edge highlighting. Good conversion work too, I've seen a few similar designs scattered around here. Welcome to ATT Tearphoenix, keep up the quality work!

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Feb 12 2013 10:05

Thanks for the comments guys!

Davou wrote:Depth of field becomes and issue when dealing with lenses of a focal length above 50mm. Likewise its multiplied when the plane of focus is moved closer to the lens, don't sweat it as long as you got details on the part of the model you wanted to show off!

What did you use for your snow? I'm going to be trying crushed glass this week and would love some pointers.

I actually used GF9's Modeling Snow and tried out one of Games Workshop's tutorials on snow.

After doing everything I wanted on the base, I painted the snow areas skull white before applying the snow with white glue. I want to tweak it some as it seems very bland to me. Not sure if I am going to try for a muddy snow or what yet. Work has been keeping my quite busy.

Edit: Link to GW article.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... Mode=true#

nor'od-alex
Shas

Post#5 » Feb 13 2013 05:18

I think you mean p.v.a. glue?

Anyhow, the glue will turn mostly se-through after a while, though it remains somewhat white at certain areas, buuut,
WELCOME, FRIEND!
sum commenta, ergo sum idotica.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jul 09 2013 06:04

Well, due to moving, visiting family, and my own procrastination, I haven't gotten much accomplished lately.

I thought I would post a small update. I have been working on my Riptide and while I am still a long way off from finishing the model itself, I have (mostly) finished the base.

C&C always welcome.

timb6ea
Shas

Post#7 » Jul 09 2013 06:22

I really like the icicles. What'd you make them out of?
Will Flak'O for food.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jul 09 2013 07:01

timb6ea wrote:I really like the icicles. What'd you make them out of?

Thank you! I used an off-brand equivalent of Woodland Scenic's water effects that I found on sale. I placed some on the plastic from a blister pack and shaped it out with a toothpick. I then let it dry overnight. Most of them looked terrible, but a few turned out nicely.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Nov 02 2013 07:11

Well, I have not been able to sit down and work on too much lately, but I think that is about to change. My wife agreed to let me build a work bench to put in our living room, so without any further ado, my first real attempt at carpentry.

Image[/url]

I have some very thin plywood that I'm going to make into a stand for my sculpting tools and paint brushes next time I visit my parents (my dad is essentially a home depot for tools). I'm also hoping to put together some shelves to put on the right of the paint shelf.

Lone Strike
Shas

Post#10 » Nov 02 2013 07:39

Love the work bench! My wife let me put my first station in my apartment's living room. I now live in a house and my garage has turned into a warhammer realm. Keep up the good work!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#11 » Nov 04 2013 05:38

Nice bench indeed. I've come to like a large work area :D

Xauk
Shas

Post#12 » Nov 23 2013 07:31

Very sweet workbench! congrads. Let the creative juices flowing. Xauk

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Nov 24 2013 01:03

Thank you all for the kind words.
I'm hoping with the holidays coming up I'll have the time to work on some more serious projects. All I have accomplished of late is to try out some new techniques on a few Necrons.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#14 » Nov 30 2013 06:03

Was browsing again and noticed the swatches - nicely done! As a graphic designer I approve! :D

bluedestiny
Shas

Post#15 » Dec 01 2013 03:27

I envy such a nice, clean and spacious work space.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#16 » Feb 13 2015 10:52

I can hardly believe it has been over a year since my last post! Life has been extra chaotic lately. So crazy in fact, that I almost gave up on Warhammer.
However, I had been considering picking my favorite hobby back up and return to modeling and perhaps even try and find time to relearn the rules.

With some encouragement from my wife, I have cleared the junk from my desk, procured a 7th ed. rulebook, and begun collecting a sizeable force. I have also reopened my inspiration folders and have been scouring the web for more conversion inspiration.

I've managed to score several major hauls of neglected models off of eBay, including several Forgeworld XV8* variants. I've begun paint stripping and breaking down some of the more abused models.
I have a few models partially completed since my last post here, so I may post some WiP as soon as I get some decent lighting setup as my lightbox did not survive a move, but right now I am mostly brainstorming ideas for kit conversions.

All of that to say, I have returned to the Greater Good and hope to have some progress to report in the coming weeks.

On to my current deliberations!

I've been considering my current crisis suit, as pictured in my first post and I am mostly satisfied with it, but I feel it is missing something. I love the height and slimmed down jetpack, but I feel that the legs are almost too feeble. But at the same time, I am concerned that bulking them up any will throw the rest of the model out of proportion. I also wonder if I need to lengthen the arms as the stock arms retain some of the squat nature of XV8s that motivated me to conversions in the first place.

Do any of you have thoughts regarding these two potential issues I am considering?

I will, of course, be adding weapon systems soon, but I haven't made my mounting system a reality yet. I am also considering implementing Biddo's crisis suit hands as soon as I get a chance to pick up the appropriate plasticard on my next supply run.

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Feb 14 2015 12:01

Really like the look of that suit! I've seen the singular centered jetpack idea come around a couple of times now. maybe something I should try sometime.

Parts-wise, I don't think it's lacking. I find that attaching a weapon to the arms really bulks up the model, so a weapon-less suit is really different to one with it's weapons.
Some images of the suit with it's guns attached would be nice (my guess is you've magnetized them?)

As for paintjob, I like the cold urban theme, and the subtle red.
Have you thought about sept/squad markings?
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#18 » Feb 16 2015 02:16

ShasODerpy wrote:Really like the look of that suit! I've seen the singular centered jetpack idea come around a couple of times now. maybe something I should try sometime.

Parts-wise, I don't think it's lacking. I find that attaching a weapon to the arms really bulks up the model, so a weapon-less suit is really different to one with it's weapons.
Some images of the suit with it's guns attached would be nice (my guess is you've magnetized them?)

As for paintjob, I like the cold urban theme, and the subtle red.
Have you thought about sept/squad markings?

Thank you for your kind words!

I'll try to do some WiP shots or a rough guide on my next jetpack assembly, if you would find that beneficial?

You bring up a very good point about the weapons. I'll reserve judgment until I complete the weapon systems.
I have magnetized the the arms, but I am considering some form of a generic weapon mount, similar to the arms on the Forgeworld XV8s. I need to find the random notebook that has the concept sketch in it...

As for Sept and squad markings, I know that I want to do an army-wide sept and do more individualized markings for the squads, but that is as far as I have made it on planning.

Return to “Project Logs”