Tearphoenix's Project Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Tael
Fio'O

Re: Tearphoenix's Lost 11th Recon Force

Post#11 » Nov 04 2013 05:38

Nice bench indeed. I've come to like a large work area :D

Xauk
Shas

Post#12 » Nov 23 2013 07:31

Very sweet workbench! congrads. Let the creative juices flowing. Xauk

Tearphoenix
Shas'La

Post#13 » Nov 24 2013 01:03

Thank you all for the kind words.
I'm hoping with the holidays coming up I'll have the time to work on some more serious projects. All I have accomplished of late is to try out some new techniques on a few Necrons.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#14 » Nov 30 2013 06:03

Was browsing again and noticed the swatches - nicely done! As a graphic designer I approve! :D

bluedestiny
Shas

Post#15 » Dec 01 2013 03:27

I envy such a nice, clean and spacious work space.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La

Post#16 » Feb 13 2015 10:52

I can hardly believe it has been over a year since my last post! Life has been extra chaotic lately. So crazy in fact, that I almost gave up on Warhammer.
However, I had been considering picking my favorite hobby back up and return to modeling and perhaps even try and find time to relearn the rules.

With some encouragement from my wife, I have cleared the junk from my desk, procured a 7th ed. rulebook, and begun collecting a sizeable force. I have also reopened my inspiration folders and have been scouring the web for more conversion inspiration.

I've managed to score several major hauls of neglected models off of eBay, including several Forgeworld XV8* variants. I've begun paint stripping and breaking down some of the more abused models.
I have a few models partially completed since my last post here, so I may post some WiP as soon as I get some decent lighting setup as my lightbox did not survive a move, but right now I am mostly brainstorming ideas for kit conversions.

All of that to say, I have returned to the Greater Good and hope to have some progress to report in the coming weeks.

On to my current deliberations!

I've been considering my current crisis suit, as pictured in my first post and I am mostly satisfied with it, but I feel it is missing something. I love the height and slimmed down jetpack, but I feel that the legs are almost too feeble. But at the same time, I am concerned that bulking them up any will throw the rest of the model out of proportion. I also wonder if I need to lengthen the arms as the stock arms retain some of the squat nature of XV8s that motivated me to conversions in the first place.

Do any of you have thoughts regarding these two potential issues I am considering?

I will, of course, be adding weapon systems soon, but I haven't made my mounting system a reality yet. I am also considering implementing Biddo's crisis suit hands as soon as I get a chance to pick up the appropriate plasticard on my next supply run.

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Feb 14 2015 12:01

Really like the look of that suit! I've seen the singular centered jetpack idea come around a couple of times now. maybe something I should try sometime.

Parts-wise, I don't think it's lacking. I find that attaching a weapon to the arms really bulks up the model, so a weapon-less suit is really different to one with it's weapons.
Some images of the suit with it's guns attached would be nice (my guess is you've magnetized them?)

As for paintjob, I like the cold urban theme, and the subtle red.
Have you thought about sept/squad markings?
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Tearphoenix
Shas'La

Post#18 » Feb 16 2015 02:16

ShasODerpy wrote:Really like the look of that suit! I've seen the singular centered jetpack idea come around a couple of times now. maybe something I should try sometime.

Parts-wise, I don't think it's lacking. I find that attaching a weapon to the arms really bulks up the model, so a weapon-less suit is really different to one with it's weapons.
Some images of the suit with it's guns attached would be nice (my guess is you've magnetized them?)

As for paintjob, I like the cold urban theme, and the subtle red.
Have you thought about sept/squad markings?

Thank you for your kind words!

I'll try to do some WiP shots or a rough guide on my next jetpack assembly, if you would find that beneficial?

You bring up a very good point about the weapons. I'll reserve judgment until I complete the weapon systems.
I have magnetized the the arms, but I am considering some form of a generic weapon mount, similar to the arms on the Forgeworld XV8s. I need to find the random notebook that has the concept sketch in it...

As for Sept and squad markings, I know that I want to do an army-wide sept and do more individualized markings for the squads, but that is as far as I have made it on planning.

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui

Post#19 » Feb 16 2015 03:59

Tearphoenix wrote:I'll try to do some WiP shots or a rough guide on my next jetpack assembly, if you would find that beneficial?

Would most definatly be interested in some notes on how you did that jetpack!!

Im really a big fan of the "Forgeworld" styled arms vs the arms found in the GW kit (they also provide nice conversion bits if not used for arms).
The downside on them is that the hands on these arms appear to be "holding" the underslung weapon, so it'll be harder to model in a pose-able "extended" hand.
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Tearphoenix
Shas'La

Re: Tearphoenix's Project Log

Post#20 » Feb 27 2015 11:00

So I have been mostly busy with either working on one of a few display pieces for my local store or stripping paint off of used minis.
Thankfully, I am finished with the largest display piece and I see an end in sight to scrubbing off old paint.

First off, here is the piece I was working on. The owner had asked for a non-traditional paint scheme and this is what I ended up with:

Unfortunately, I have not had time to build a new lightbox and the charger for my real camera is missing. So my phone had to suffice for now and has washed out a lot of the colors on the DreadKnight. The last picture is the only one that comes close to catching the transitions and tones.

As for my Tau, I took a couple pictures from one of my existing projects:

Production on my Riptide started for the "Size Does Matter" contest, but I was simply not able to finish it in time, much less to my satisfaction. Unfortunately, I also forgot to varnish it prior to a move, so a lot of the paint is chipping off.

I modified the front torso because I could not stand the exhaust ports. I like symmetry and they were driving me crazy, so I added in the missiles instead and I really like how they worked out.

I want to add some armor around the ankles to conceal how fragile they appear and I am also considering doing some armoring on the head or possible making a custom head piece, since the heads appear so hilariously tiny compared to the bulk of the Riptide. I had originally planned to use the stock HBC, but after seeing Agentarrow's XV105 Tsunami, I can no longer even look at the standard version. So I will be planning to make a larger and (hopefully) more intimidating HBC.

In other news, I started work on an XV8 commander, only to notice terrible miscasts in the finecast. 2-3 emails to GW and a week later I have a replacement, free of charge. I have only had to email them twice on an issue, and both times they have replaced the model within short order.

What I am currently:
A fantasy commission piece
Convert (with WiPs) another XV8 and attach weapon systems

Return to “Project Logs”