Tearphoenix's Project Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Tearphoenix's Project Log

Post#31 » Sep 27 2015 10:52

Once again, it has been far too long since an update.

September has actually been one of my most productive times for my Tau, and hobby in general, in a very long time. In an effort to stay motivated and on task, I have signed up for a "local" (~1 1/2 hour drive away) GW Armies on Parade. I started out doing model armor dioramas with my Dad when I was quite young and it has been an age since I last did anything with scenery. The sheer idea of doing something like this again is both daunting and exhilarating for me. October 24th is disturbing close. Here is a shot of the board so far.

I am hoping to do a light winter theme and I'm planning to do a shattered statue/fountain in the dead space at the front.

I have also nearly completed my Riptide conversion that I started back when the model first came out. I was attempting to finish it in time for the original ATT "Size Does Matter" challenge, but a few days away from the deadline, I realized it was rushed and missing some key conversions that I had yet to envision. I have to hand a lot of inspiration to AgentArrow, I saw his upgraded HBC and I all but threw the stock version against the wall. I have also used a few other conversions I have seen about the web as inspiration. The only conversion that was originally on the Riptide before this month are the missiles.

I still have some more filling/sanding to do on the top of the jets, but otherwise it is ready for paint. I am still tweaking my lightbox and my real camera is MIA at the moment, so please bear with the less than stellar picture. Note, it will be standing on debris or a rock, so the posing will change.

Speaking of paint, I have finally settled on a new paint scheme. It is in the early stages of testing, but so far it is looking great and I am able to practice some airbrushing with it. I hope to have a picture of my commander, from earlier posts, finished and up here by next weekend.

Thanks for looking and as always, I welcome C&C!

Tau to do list:
XV8 Enforcer
2x Crisis Bodyguards
2x XV9
5x Kroot Mercenaries
5 XV15
Riptide
3x Marker Drones (or more to fill space as necessary)

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#32 » Oct 14 2015 09:04

Well, my display board is almost completed. I am making progress on the army itself, but time is quickly running out, so I'll be getting back to that shortly.

Here are a few shots of the board itself. I only need to do the plaque and frost the water effects (they are drying now). I also will need to finish the buildings, but that won't take me long.

Should have some completed suits ready to post soon (I hope...)

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#33 » Oct 16 2015 10:20

Just a quick update with a nearly finished board:

Had some issues with the water effects and I am just waiting for the repair to dry and then I'll finish the pond and pipe.

Finally, I have a test for my new color scheme. I have not done any highlights on it, but here is the beginnings of my new scheme. (ignore the putty holding it together)

Still have a ton to do, but please let me know what you think!

Edit: Realized the pictures needed some work.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#34 » Oct 23 2015 01:52

So just finished my board in time to pack up. Unfortunately, I had to cut out a lot of units due to surprise complications.

I'll take more pictures later since I have to go.

I'm off to drop it off and see about pre-ordering some Tau!
Last edited by Tearphoenix on Oct 30 2015 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#35 » Oct 23 2015 04:00

I love it. Not much else to say!

Good luck on your parade! :smile:
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#36 » Oct 23 2015 08:36

ShasODerpy wrote:I love it. Not much else to say!

Good luck on your parade! :smile:

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I utterly forgot to take any closeups of the board or my units besides a couple quick phone shots of my commander.

I had to drop a few units due to some complications (rescued models that had some horrible cleanup left) and I realized my riptide would take far too long to finish. Which makes me sad because the conversions on him were my largest time sink by far.

Here is a shot from the store. There are some other great boards, so I don't know if I have a shot at a medal, but I am glad I was able to meet a personal goal, even if the board had less units than originally planned.

And also the commander

I still need to do some weathering and touch up once I get him back, but I am really happy with the paint scheme. I think I am going to use this moving forward.

Mr. Oddity
Shas

Post#37 » Oct 23 2015 09:17

That commander is absolutely beautiful. Excellent job on the painting and converting there. Also, I love what you've done with your Riptide. The missiles look much more natural mounted on the chest than stand-alone pods.

Quick question: were the battlesuits removed from their bases to be mounted on the display? If so, how did you make them removable?

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this project takes you next.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#38 » Oct 24 2015 11:31

Mr. Oddity wrote:That commander is absolutely beautiful. Excellent job on the painting and converting there. Also, I love what you've done with your Riptide. The missiles look much more natural mounted on the chest than stand-alone pods.

Quick question: were the battlesuits removed from their bases to be mounted on the display? If so, how did you make them removable?

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this project takes you next.

Thanks!

I actually only made mock-ups of the bases so I could know how I needed to pose the suits. For putting them on the board itself, I drilled out small holes in their feet and used small, cut up paperclips to pin them to the board. They are small enough that I can just snip them once I remove them from the board if the glue proves too strong.

Army is up for voting. If anyone cares to see more pictures or like it, it is here on FB:
[spoiler=]https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.436421273234093.1073741858.146274852248738&type=3[/spoiler]

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#39 » Jan 03 2016 01:14

Not much progress to report since my last post, but I realized I had yet to take any real pictures of the work I did for the AoP (I'm afraid I did not place).

I have the bases almost ready to paint for these guys, so that will be my next endeavor. However, with a new child due in the next few months, I am not anticipating much time to devote to my army.

I ended up rushing my hammerhead and drones, so they will need some portions of paint redone. I am probably going to some form of engine glow on the Hammerhead, but I have yet to decide on a color. Any suggestions?

The XV9s need some more weathering and sept symbols. I am saddened by how much the slight deformities in the resin show up after painting, especially on the XV9s.

Other than the base and a bit of touchup here and there, I am calling the commander done, for now.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the new color scheme. Without further ado, here are the pictures:

C&C is always welcome and thanks for looking!

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#40 » Feb 29 2016 01:04

Been working on a lot of various projects with a lot of progress and very little completion.

I did manage to finish a base for my commander and have quite a few other bases lined up for my XV9s, XV8s, and any FWs.

60mm bases

50mm

Thanks for looking!

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#41 » Feb 29 2016 06:31

This is class work Tearphoenix, keep us posted! :)
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#42 » Sep 01 2016 12:53

Prep-work is almost finished the on the Riptide, but has been paused to work on the conversion Challenge. I hope to be finished in time, but I haven't had much time the past couple of weeks. Then again, my Riptide was planned for the Riptide Challenge from several years ago and it still isn't finished...

Picked up a lot of goodies off of eBay this week. It included GW, FW, and Paulson bits, but also these guys:

They seem painfully familiar to me, but for the life of me I cannot seem to place them. Any idea on who made/makes them or where they originated?

EDIT: They are from the Chapterhouse Studios kickstarter. They are the weapons from a Tau Weapon Emplacement that was attached to an Aegis line alternative.

Thanks!
Last edited by Tearphoenix on Sep 01 2016 01:52, edited 1 time in total.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#43 » Sep 01 2016 01:02

I honestly don't know what those are from, but it's good to have you back and updating this log.
I missed your Riptide post until now, but I'm honored you were inspired by my work and I love the direction you've taken yours. Putting the missiles in the chest is so clever, it looks like it was meant to be. Are you going to do Armies on Parade again this year? You still have a month to field and even bigger force!

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#44 » Sep 01 2016 02:14

Agentarrow wrote:I honestly don't know what those are from, but it's good to have you back and updating this log.
I missed your Riptide post until now, but I'm honored you were inspired by my work and I love the direction you've taken yours. Putting the missiles in the chest is so clever, it looks like it was meant to be. Are you going to do Armies on Parade again this year? You still have a month to field and even bigger force!

Thank you for the kind words. I am very happy with how the missiles worked out. I am hoping to do something similar with a Stormsurge's Destroyer missiles.

As for Armies on Parade, I am not sure. I originally had a trip planned for that weekend, but it may end up being cancelled. I would really like to as I enjoy basing and scenery even more than I do minis, but I don't know if I'll have the time available. Doesn't help I started a small hobby business this year, so that has eaten a lot of my hobby time, even if I do enjoy it. Ultimately, I'll probably decide within the next week if the trip falls through.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Moray Tactical Gunship WiP - Picture Heavy

Post#45 » Oct 10 2016 01:24

Wow! This certainly was a daunting journey. I did not think I was actually going to make it in time. In Fact, I barely did. I wrote my rules and entry about 2 hours before the deadline. I wish I would have had more time to put into the writing and final details of the model.

I would not have been able to complete it if I had not gotten a really bad cold the week the entry was due.

A couple end result pictures. WiP pictures are below..

This is the first major scratch/kitbash build I have done. I have done some bits swapping and sculpting to mesh parts together, but never actually creating any large areas.

I think overall I spent somewhere around 30+ hours of modeling (a good 4-6 of which was undoing some mistakes) and another several hours planning and painting.

Ultimately, I think it needs a couple more days worth of putty and sanding. In addition to correcting some painting nightmares (see picture commentary).

For curiosity’s sake, I thought I would list out the parts and known materials that I ended up using for this project. Note, I collect bits lots off of eBay, so I did not use or purchase full kits specifically for this endeavor. This list may not be exhaustive.

Kit Parts Used:

Piranha Wings 2x
Piranha Chasis 3x
Sunshark Drone Engine Intakes 2x
Hammerhead Sensor Array
Ghostkeel Armor Plate
Devilfish Engines
Tau Squadron Command Frame
Devilfish Burst Cannon Turret 2x
XV25 Burst Cannon 2x
ChapterHouse Studios Tau Aegis Line Weapon
Hammer Ion Cannon
Coldstar Jet Intakes
Broadside HRR 2x
Old Broadside Finecast Kit
Devilfish Sensor Spine
4x Drones

Main Materials Used:
Lots and lots of plasticard. Beams, rods, sheet, and quarter/half rounds.
Apoxie Sculpt
Liquid Green Stuff (I think I am done using this rubbish)
Squadron Putty

Overall, I am very happy with how it turned out. I do want to eventually go back and touch up the cockpit and the two flat areas to either side of it. I also would like to revisit the rules as I had planned for several specialized drones that would tweak the rules and focus its role better. I am very happy with how much of the actual model, especially the underside turrets and the areas directly in front of the intakes.

As you may gather from some of the pictures, I had originally planned to do a removable cockpit, but the dimensions on the underside were not playing out well so I ended up scrapping the idea.

As for the assembly process itself, I started with a basic frame and then built it from the ground up. Once I had a good feel for what I wanted the end result to be, I added the lower BC turrets, then started bulking up the upper chassis. I had run out of my normal putty, so I used Apoxie Sculpt instead. I had never used Apoxie Sculpt before and ended up adding ~way~ too much to the frame. Late night hobbying I suppose? I spent several hours the next day with various files and sanding sticks to remove the excess.

By the time I dove into it, I had much of the project planned out, except for the engine deck. The engine deck ended up falling together about 15 minutes of flurried chopping and gluing before I went to bed the night before it was to be painted.

Now on to the WiP pictures. Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures of the cockpit sculpting process. Which I greatly regret.

1st frame attempt - before I scrapped an internal cockpit

Burst cannon assembly - I wanted to keep them movable

Main Weapon assembly and magnetization

Turret Housing:

Pre-Turret Underside:

Topside before engine decking and all siding was finished:

Topside before cockpit and final sanding. I think this portion ended up being my happiest moment. I was thrilled with how the sensor area in front of the intakes turned out.
https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8742/3012 ... 165b_z.jpg[/img]

Almost finished underside:

Basecoat:
At this point, was my first disaster. During cleaning, my main (and nice) airbrush nozzle broke clean off, leaving the threads in the airbrush. Thankfully, I had a second, cheap airbrush, but it would clog every 2-3 minutes of use.

Masking:
This picture was taken before the biggest disaster in the project, the masking tape removed large chunks of my final coat of grey. This had happened to me last year with my armies on parade Hammerhead, but it was a repainted tank that did not have a good primer, so I thought it was an isolated case since both the painters tape and the rice tape I use do not have much tack. After this picture, I only have the final pictures as I utterly forgot any more WiP.

Thanks for looking!

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#46 » Oct 10 2016 02:24

I think that the angles displayed in the contest pictures do not properly give a sense of scale the same way that these WIP images do. Very well done, it was a close call on many entries and I know the community really liked this as well.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#47 » Oct 10 2016 02:46

Agentarrow wrote:I think that the angles displayed in the contest pictures do not properly give a sense of scale the same way that these WIP images do. Very well done, it was a close call on many entries and I know the community really liked this as well.

Thank you!

I ended up finishing the base and getting pictures taken about 15-30 minutes before I had to submit the entry and they were not playing nice. I had hoped the drones and commander would give an accurate sense of scale.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#48 » Dec 30 2016 12:15

Finally! An update, albeit a small one.

Got some hobby related presents this year (both from relatives and from myself ;) ) and I am planning to get some work done on them during my vacation time. I will be visiting family, but I often have quite a bit of downtime, so I have packed the necessary tools and have high hopes.

First up, there is only a little bit of sculpting and gap filling left on my Riptide's legs left to be done before I can start painting it. I added some armor platting and thrusters to help it fit in a bit with the XV109s.

I also scrapped my original base idea for this guy, so I will need to build a new one for him.

As for my loot, I received a brand new pair of Tetras, a gently used XV107, 5 Sisters of Silence, and these guys...

These are the limited edition Spined Hounds. The casts are incredibly clean and they just look how I feel Kroot Hounds should look.I also picked up a set of their male Kadesh heads while I was at it.

Quality is not as nice as the hounds, especially around the mouths, but they are still quite nice.

Resin just got a nice, soapy bath, so let's see if I can get them cleaned up this week.

Return to “Project Logs”