Wow! This certainly was a daunting journey. I did not think I was actually going to make it in time. In Fact, I barely did. I wrote my rules and entry about 2 hours before the deadline. I wish I would have had more time to put into the writing and final details of the model.
I would not have been able to complete it if I had not gotten a really bad cold the week the entry was due.
A couple end result pictures. WiP pictures are below..
This is the first major scratch/kitbash build I have done. I have done some bits swapping and sculpting to mesh parts together, but never actually creating any large areas.
I think overall I spent somewhere around 30+ hours of modeling (a good 4-6 of which was undoing some mistakes) and another several hours planning and painting.
Ultimately, I think it needs a couple more days worth of putty and sanding. In addition to correcting some painting nightmares (see picture commentary).
For curiosity’s sake, I thought I would list out the parts and known materials that I ended up using for this project. Note, I collect bits lots off of eBay, so I did not use or purchase full kits specifically for this endeavor. This list may not be exhaustive.
Kit Parts Used:
Piranha Wings 2x
Piranha Chasis 3x
Sunshark Drone Engine Intakes 2x
Hammerhead Sensor Array
Ghostkeel Armor Plate
Tau Squadron Command Frame
Devilfish Burst Cannon Turret 2x
XV25 Burst Cannon 2x
ChapterHouse Studios Tau Aegis Line Weapon
Hammer Ion Cannon
Coldstar Jet Intakes
Broadside HRR 2x
Old Broadside Finecast Kit
Devilfish Sensor Spine
Main Materials Used:
Lots and lots of plasticard. Beams, rods, sheet, and quarter/half rounds.
Liquid Green Stuff (I think I am done using this rubbish)
Overall, I am very happy with how it turned out. I do want to eventually go back and touch up the cockpit and the two flat areas to either side of it. I also would like to revisit the rules as I had planned for several specialized drones that would tweak the rules and focus its role better. I am very happy with how much of the actual model, especially the underside turrets and the areas directly in front of the intakes.
As you may gather from some of the pictures, I had originally planned to do a removable cockpit, but the dimensions on the underside were not playing out well so I ended up scrapping the idea.
As for the assembly process itself, I started with a basic frame and then built it from the ground up. Once I had a good feel for what I wanted the end result to be, I added the lower BC turrets, then started bulking up the upper chassis. I had run out of my normal putty, so I used Apoxie Sculpt instead. I had never used Apoxie Sculpt before and ended up adding ~way~ too much to the frame. Late night hobbying I suppose? I spent several hours the next day with various files and sanding sticks to remove the excess.
By the time I dove into it, I had much of the project planned out, except for the engine deck. The engine deck ended up falling together about 15 minutes of flurried chopping and gluing before I went to bed the night before it was to be painted.
Now on to the WiP pictures. Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures of the cockpit sculpting process. Which I greatly regret.
1st frame attempt - before I scrapped an internal cockpit
Burst cannon assembly - I wanted to keep them movable
Main Weapon assembly and magnetization
Topside before engine decking and all siding was finished:
Topside before cockpit and final sanding. I think this portion ended up being my happiest moment. I was thrilled with how the sensor area in front of the intakes turned out.https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8742/3012 ... 165b_z.jpg
Almost finished underside:
At this point, was my first disaster. During cleaning, my main (and nice) airbrush nozzle broke clean off, leaving the threads in the airbrush. Thankfully, I had a second, cheap airbrush, but it would clog every 2-3 minutes of use.
This picture was taken before the biggest disaster in the project, the masking tape removed large chunks of my final coat of grey. This had happened to me last year with my armies on parade Hammerhead, but it was a repainted tank that did not have a good primer, so I thought it was an isolated case since both the painters tape and the rice tape I use do not have much tack. After this picture, I only have the final pictures as I utterly forgot any more WiP.
Thanks for looking!