Shadow Strike's painting log - Ghostkeels Finished

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Shadow Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Shadow Strike's painting log - Ghostkeels Finished

Post#1 » Mar 22 2013 08:36

Before I show were I'm going, I'd like to show where I've been. I"ve been painting my cadre for the last 18 months or so and have begun to assemble a modest force. As always comments and critism are welcome and any tips on how to advance my painting are more than welcome.

Currently my force is comprised of:
36 Firewarriors
12 Kroot
12 Stealthsuits
9 XV-8's (magnetized)
1 Devil Fish
3 Piranhas (magnetized)
1 Farsight

Here's a quick close up of my squad leaders (Gold trim on their shoulder pads helps them stand out). (fluff to soon follow) *Note: Each squad has the rim of its bases colored differntly for easy recognition.

I went a little crazy on eBay one night and somehow won all my bids and wound up with 9 crisisuits all at once so I needed a paint scheme that was simple and looked good. (At least I think it looks good)

I wanted Farsight to stand out from the rest of my cadre while still looking like a unified part of my force so I painted him a little different from GW. I'm quite fond of how he turned out although he doesn't see a lot of action these days. I"m hoping this will change soon.

ImageImage
ImageImage

And a few of my vehicles... The Piranha's are much the same story as the Crisis Suits; one day there were none, then the next I seemed to have three?! How did that happen? I decided to make one of them a "lead" and painted his wings Space Wolf Grey instead of the usual blue. I've found SW Grey dries nearly pearlescent white and I try to use that color to denote command authority in my army. I actually really enjoyed painting the cockpit with all the buttons and instruments.

And finally my Stealth Suits. These were also eBay "rescues" they had come from multiple sources and had been crudely painted with thick multiple layers of paint. I felt like an archeologist scrubbing down therough all the layers after soaking them for a week in Simple Green. They're now an invaluable part of my force.

I'll try and get my next project uploaded tonight. I'm hoping to make this one my finest painted model yet and am excited to actually log my progress on it.
Last edited by Shadow Strike on Jan 22 2016 05:01, edited 8 times in total.

Freeloader
Shas

Re: Shadow Strike's painting log *WARNING* VERY Picture heavy

Post#2 » Mar 22 2013 10:33

Hey, Shadow Strike!

This is a very neat colour scheme which you've managed to carry over through to every unit in the army (although I'd like to see those Kroot). The sense of unity is quite apparent. I would recommend you do a pass of highlighting to all the pieces to get that extra depth and contrast that helps making the colours stand out. Tau Sept markings could also be used to break up those large flat surfaces that comes with Tau vehicles and battlesuits. Nice precision, though!

Also, this post wasn't very picture heavy. No one is using 56k modem any longer, yeah? :)
People should laugh everyday

Shadow Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Shadow Strike's painting log

Post#3 » Mar 22 2013 12:19

Thank you very much! I like my cadre looking cohessive on the board! Once I settle on Sept markings will be soon to follow I'm thinking Ke'Ishan might look nice against the current colors. I do keep meaning to go back around and highlight things but new projects keep drawing my attention away.

D'OH! Knew I forgot something! Although I personally don't think my Kroot are all that impressive, just basae coated and washed. (Although I've had a lot of success with them)

One Kroot that has gotten a lot of indivdual love is the Kroot attached to my custom pathfinder unit. I used the amazing job done by Wolfs16 as inspiration if it looks somewhat familiar...

ImageImageImage

Arkadies
Shas

Re: Shadow Strike's painting log *WARNING* VERY Picture heavy

Post#4 » Mar 22 2013 12:20

Very nice work. I especially love the spiked bits on the pulse carbine.
All war is deception.

Shadow Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Shadow Strike's painting - Improved Pictures

Post#5 » Mar 24 2013 10:33

Thanks Arkadies! They're a fun little mod I added to my custom pathfinders, makes em look a little more fierce.

So I've started my first Forge World kit... and I'm not wholy impressed. Nearly every piece in this kit need to be "fixed" a few were so bad I had to order replacement pieces. But I think it's been mostly salvaged.

I soaked them in a soapy brine for about a month, and I found that it helped lift off the majority of the mold release that the model came with. After that I cleaned them up, fixed what I could, reorder what I couldn't. Over the last couple of days I've been painting away. All pices got a white primer coat then a base coat in Space Wold Grey.

With the done I've started painting panels Adeptus BattleGrey and blackening the panel lines all over.

I'm nearly finished with the big pieces, I just have the shield left to do, after that I'll start doing some energy effects. Hopefully I can start getting those by next weekend.
Last edited by Shadow Strike on Jul 14 2013 02:35, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Apr 04 2013 09:23

*sigh* So much work for so little result. But I do have all the grey finished that I planned on painting! I know I thought I would do energy effects next but I think it makes more sens to try and paint the metallic "skeleton" underneath all the armor pieces before doing light sources. The shield is particularly unimpressive in the picture despite it taking the longest. :sad:

Right now my plan for the metal areas is to base coat it in Pig Iron, wash it with black, then dry bush the details back in with Bolt Gun. I'm hoping that it will give me a worn metallic look without being to difficult to accomplish.

Cipher-032
Shas

Post#7 » Apr 04 2013 03:09

Ralai is awkward to paint, but the results will be rewarding. Bare in mind gluing a resin model with all adhesive area's covered in paint will be hard to glue. May be worth sanding back these area's prior to gluing together.

XV09's are flimsy!

Shadow Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Apr 04 2013 03:18

Thanks for the insight! I had honestly not considered that until you brought it up. Do you think using a plastic cement would help keep things together? I don't usually use the stuff but if the situation warrants it...

Cipher-032
Shas

Post#9 » Apr 04 2013 03:51

Plastic cement will definitely not bond resin. Super glue is your best chance period.

My personal experience, I use super glue on as much as I can. If it breaks, it will break cleanly.

Gently sand away your paint, and gently buff the surface on the resin, this will allow perfect adhesion.

Also, beware on Ralai. the Submunitions rifle (Or Beam rifle as I call it), is very weak at either side of the circular center. I had to completely pin mine.

If you take your time, and care with resin models, and assemble them with proper measures, you can be suprised how well a bit of super glue can go.

I have a Imperial Navy Thunderbolt with next to no pins in it.

Shadow Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Apr 08 2013 10:21

I haven't had much trouble with super glue either once I properly prep a surface, so it's good. Thanks you for the tip!
It was a productive weekend I got all the metal areas base coated, washed, and edge highlited. I'll be honest, the edging doesn't look great in a lot of places. This was my first time edge highlighting and I'm not sure the highlight (Citadel Chainmail) I used was bright enough over the washed base coat (P3 Pig Iron with Badab Black). But I did begin on the energy effects on the gun and shield!

*Note: Compare this next picture to the previous to see the effect of nice black panel lines on the shield edges. The FW panel lines are numch deeper and narrower the the GW ones. My usual approach to these lines was to use a micro pen to lay down quick, easy, and smooth lines post painting but that isn't working well in this case. So I've resorted to using black was to get the lines back to black. It's time consuming and takes a steady hand, but if you load your brush up with the wash and then let the panel line draw the wash down it works ok. To get a good effect I have to repeat this process 2-3 times.

Also I'm trying some glaze medium to make my own washes and using that in the center of the shield... Not sure about it so far but I might give it a couple more layers to really even out the colors.

Shadow Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Apr 15 2013 08:38

It's been a good week of painting although I don't quiet have the pictures to show it. I've finished my lighting effects, black-lined everything, got the gold on, and touched up everything. Whew! The gold went on a bit easier than I expected. In the past I've found that gold really doesn't cover well and I would spend 5-6 coats getting it solid. However by changing my brush techniquie I found that long smooth strokes in a single direction allowed for a much more solid coat and most areas only required two coats! Also I was able to make a nice subtle blend along the edges of the shield but using some white colored glaze and layering it up then giving the whole thing a light wash.

As a bit of an aside I'm falling in love with glazing medium! :) It's wonderfull for thinning paints and the washes it lets me create come in handy nearly every day.

You'll notice there are no pictures of the the feet or lower legs...because they're attached to the base! Yes, that's right it's time for basing and final assembly. Unless things go majorly wrong (and they do from time to time) I see myself getting the basing and assembly done this week. Then it will be just adding high-lights and touch-ups!.

Shadow Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Apr 21 2013 10:38

Whew, he's finally done! Of course there's nothing like some nice pictures to show you all the glaring thing wrong with your once perfect model. Guess it's time for some touch ups!

Sp you might be asking "What's with the red head?"... I"m not really sure, maybe I was just tired of painting greys and blues? I think I was just trying to make the head stand out. Either way I'm happy with how it turned out and it draws attention to his glowing eye:

(Hello, Dave)

And some close ups of the shield and gun, both of which I'm very pleased with how the lighting on them turned out:

ImageImage

As always C&C are more than welcome!

Shadow Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Shadow Strike's painting log - Completed Warlord photoshoot

Post#13 » May 05 2013 10:43

Next up is my take on a Cadre Fireblade

As you can see I took a different approach this time and primed the pieces two differnt colors. Black for armor and white for his cape and shoulder pad. For the cape I wanted a nice crisp white color so I took some dak grey and made a wash out of it and forced it down in to the creases, then I've been slowly build the higher portions up. I'll finish it off with some white edging this week.

The gun (which I primed black) has gotten a wash and will get some more details later:

Speaking of washes the armor got a full wash and is ready for highlighting:

The whites need to get cleaned up too and the back needs a little more work to make that doo-hickey stick out more. I'm pretty much done with the head although these pictures aren't really doing it much justice. I might force a little more highlights into the brow.

Shadow Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Shadow Strike's painting log - Fireblade WIP

Post#14 » May 10 2013 11:01

It's been a slow week for me painting wise. I had seriously hoped to have been done with my Fire blade by now. But family comes first. Anywho, here's what my fire blade is looking like now. I've got the lighting effects on the rifle, wrist computer, and back done, and finished the cloak. I also really pushed the facial highlights... a little too far I think. My plan was to clean them up then try to tone them down with a glaze. Anyone have any recommendations?

Shadow Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Shadow Strike's painting log - Fireblade WIP

Post#15 » May 15 2013 08:03

Sometimes the product is more than the sum of the parts. That's really how I feel about this model. All through painting it I kept thinking it wasn't turning out as well as I would have liked but when I got it all together I have to say I'm very happy with it! Please enjoy and comments and critques are welcome as always...

ImageImage
ImageImage

Diehard
Shas

Re: Shadow Strike's painting log - Fireblade Complete

Post#16 » May 15 2013 08:19

Very cool. I like that the cloak is removable. That was the one part of the model that I didn't like. It just seemed to not fit in the Tau idea of simple, clean design. It looks like all I will have to do is replace 1 arm to clean it up.

Shadow Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#17 » May 15 2013 09:22

Yes all you would have to do is ditch the cape, kit-bash a left arm and the shoulder pad will cover the rest. I don't love the idea of a grizzled Firewarrior veteran wearing a cape on the battle field, but it helps to visually set him apart while in the midst of other Firewarriors so I kept it.

Shadow Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#18 » Jul 11 2013 09:47

Two months since I last posted work? That can't be right. Can somebody call a Fio and get this checked out?

So I haven't been totally inactive, I did finish restoring a second-hand Hammerhead, now I'm on the lookout for another upgrade prue, if any one knows where I can score one (besides ebay) let me know!

So here's what I've been working on: Pathfinders! Camo Pathfinders!

As is typical I assembled the models almost completely save the gun-arms. The tricky thing in my mind about this new kit is that the arms come together ina very fiddly way. Enough so that I custom fit each arm to the other and to that particular torso. The result is they look great together, but I now have to track each piece indivdually throughout the entire process. For the models I simply mark the underside of the base but for the guns I have to be a little more careful.

I've come to the conclusion I quite like basing the model before I spray-prime it and that's what I did here:

I really wanted to give these guys a little something extra to make them seem more like an stealthy force and not just a de-armored Firewarrior. So here's my attempt at doing a camo pattern. I started with the base cloth color and then began adding stripes/blobs of Adeptus Battlegrey. After that I added smaller touches of Camo Green making sure it always touched the Battlegrey. Final I added small dots of Space Wolf Grey at places where the Battlegrey and Camo Green intersected. I finished it off with a wash mixture of 50% Agrax Earthshade and 50% Nun Oil. This was more of a targeted wash verses a general sloshing on. The end result I'm rather happy with.

So a couple more little tid bits. I was looking for a quick and dirty glow effect for their backpack. I hit the high areas with a bit of Camo Green and the washed the low areas with a darker green. Is it the most super-duper-awesome-amazing glow effect I've ever seen? No. But it took about 20 seconds per model in a squad of seven so it's good enough for me. Plus when held at arms length it actually looks pretty decent!

Finally, the red tabs on their helmets: Even with the camo pants and being a seperate model the Pathfinders were still looking a lot like my Firewarriors. To help pick them out on the table I felt they need an extra little bit of flair. So I painted the end of their helmet red. It looks pretty cool and after thinking about the XV-9 I did with an red head I realized I could tie this together fluff wise rather well!

Return to “Project Logs”