The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 17/07/17]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 31/5/13]

Post#21 » Jul 11 2013 07:48

I've kept my WiP on the hush for a few weeks while the Riptide competition came to an end so as to not unduly sway any votes with favouritism. I decided to go for a less is more approach (that judging by some responses I was penalised for) and keep the model almost completely stock. I wanted this models pose to do all the talking. I set about positioning with blue-tack until I found the imposing stance I was looking for.

I did want a support system to be represented on this model, but I feel the ones provided are a little overly cluttering. As I enjoy the simple clean lines of this model and the Tau in general I decided to added a resin antenna from the Forge World Tiger Shark kit. It's much smaller than the Hammerhead/Devilfish one and suits the scale of the Riptide much better in my mind.

I also like to compete in GW events so I had to keep my parts limited to “official” bitz. And as I game on a very tight budget I could not afford to enter a model I couldn't use on the table top. With that in mind I set about painting the Riptide in my new army colours. This is a very simple paint scheme to achieve but I think has real impact on the table.

The base was made from an old Piranha I got in a job lot of second had models from a friend years ago that was too damaged and badly built to rescue. I'd have gone the slate route but with such a large model (that has and will get a lot of use) I wanted it to be solidly glued to the base plate.

Finally the story. It didn't take long (as you can tell) but for those of you who are long in the tooth and memory it's a small continuation of the story of Ukos the survivor from my Objective marker entry many moons ago. (link for the newer readers. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13008 )

I'll be getting the camera out this week to take some pictures of the things I've been working on in the last month. These will Feature a Pathfinder team, my third crisis team, Aun'va a converted missile-side team and more!

Also My post are going to get a little more picture heavy as Photo bucket seems to have lost the ability to link thumbnails?
Last edited by Shas'O Darklighter on Dec 07 2013 07:28, edited 1 time in total.

Plarzoid
Shas'La

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 11/7/13]

Post#22 » Jul 11 2013 09:50

That's a great pose. It's as if he's just won a battle, and is taking a breather to survey the field and see where he'e needed next. It says "no rest for the weary" to me.

What paint did you use for the split, big metallic disc on the jetpack? It feels like a cross between gold and aluminum - I love it.
Check out my hobby blog: http://www.plarzoid.com

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#23 » Jul 11 2013 10:56

Thank you that's exactly the feel I was going for. The gold is Tamiya's Titanium gold (X-31) layered over a black base and a Black wash (GW's) over the gold.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#24 » Aug 07 2013 05:50

I've finally found the time to sit and take some photo's. Trying to keep up with the hobby, look after an almost 2 year old kid and keep fit is not an easy task!

I've delayed posting my Pathfinders as I kept forgetting to add white markings to the Shas'ui. These are my old team repainted. I have been given more old metal ones that I'm going to add to this team at a later date to make them up to a full 10 man squad. I have a new boxed set that I have built with 6 special weapons two Shas'ui and 2 norms. The idea is to run 4-5 man Devastator style squads to harass the enemy and force them to deal with a fairly cheep unit or be punished for ignoring them. At the very least they'll be fun units to play with.

Image Image

I have painted up Darkstrider as well but seem to have forgotten to take a photo at this time!

I've torn up my Deathrain suits to add some magnets for other weapon options. This will make my third Crisis team. I loved my Deathrain suits in the last few editions because they where a cheep option that could still bring on the pain. This edition they are far from the cheep option and I feel for the points I'd rather take other weapons. This may change as the edition progresses, but with magnets in place I can now swap the weapons at a later date with no hassle.

I used the Pods that I took off these to convert my old Railsides to Missilesides. I used a new Rifleside I'd built as a size comparison and mounted the models on slate to make them the correct hight and put them on the larger base size to keep line of sight roughly the same. I'm pleased with the way these look. I still have a little green stuffing to do on them before I get them ready for paint, but I'd like to hear what you lot think.

I'm also getting excited about painting up some drones!

I've decided with this cadre I'm going to reserve white as a primary shade for my Ethereals to make them stand out more on the battle field. I've also used gold for the “sept” markings. I like the way it looks and to me that's more important than the background. I'm keeping this army to a limited pallet as I have tried to add in more contrasting colours, but I'm not seeming to be able to get the balance right. So for now I'm sticking to the earthy browns and blue lenses.

I've got my Commander model posed but can't decide what weapons or support systems to put on him or where to magnetise him. I think my main problem Is that he looks far to cool naked!

I'm not sure what I'll get on with next as I'm working on a super heavy conversion for my BA's army. The construction is nearing completion, but it's going to take awhile to paint. I may take a break though once it's built as I'm starting to get sick of the sight of it. I can post picture if people are interested.

I'll try not to leave it so long before my next update. I hope you enjoyed looking at my fumblings. Tau'va Baby!

Nevar
Shas'Vre

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 07/08/13]

Post#25 » Aug 07 2013 06:25

Great work as usual.

Looking forward to more of the same.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 07/08/13]

Post#26 » Aug 28 2013 09:29

Thank you very much Nevar. Now for something a little different!

I've been slow with updates as I'd ran out of free space on photobucket (the wives fault) and it's made me lose drive a little. I'm not upgraded and ready to go once again so I thought I'd start with the Blood Angels Felblade/glave I've been working on.

The start of the project was a very badly built Baneblade I bought off a friend. The up shot was it came apart really easily, but some parts went back together quite badly (the tracks mainly). I then set about adding plasticard to give it more of a marine feel. I used the forge world tank for reference , but decided to add more wargear looking elements to it. I wanted to represent the ceramite plating and had to add a gunner to show that marines where manning the vehicle. Looking at the tank I decided it would be far simpler to add a full side panel than to file and smooth them flat. I drew around the tank to give me a rough profile and laid out the position of the doors, hatches and skirt profile. After cutting out these shapes I then attached them and started building up the layers of plasticard filing and trimming the panels as I went. (the tank isn't very true so I had to do most of it by eye). At this point I've done most of the major construction and have an overall shape I'm happy with.

Image Image Image Image

At this point you can see I've still not finalised the rear section and engines and I've also started to think about adding some chapter embellishments.

Image Image

I've kept the demolisher cannon magnetised so that it can be removed for the Felglave variant. I'll be making a replacement panel at a later date. The gun will also be undergoing a major overhaul to make it suitable for use as either gun.

I'll post more on this project later on in the week (if I get the chance) and I'm going to get a unit or two of Tau done before I make much more progress on this... The poor Tau are feeling neglected I can feel it in my paint pot.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 28/08/13]

Post#27 » Sep 12 2013 02:14

Ok now back to Tau. I've been working on Crisis team 3 and my converted Broadsides this last week. I've also been messing with some camera settings. Now I have a much better image (I think) but it shows just how quick and dirty my paint work is on this army and I'm not sure how well these next pictures will be received. So be nice, lol.

Here is the Crisis team the weapons are shoulder mounted this time as they originally had missile pods on the shoulders to represent Deathrain suits. I've removed all Pods from my army for now but have replaced all mountings with magnets so I can fit what ever I like at a later date. When I made these suits I have filled in the rebate on the arms and messed up the shoulder slots so I couldn't (without spending forever in a day on it) neaten it up enough to change the positioning. They are different at least!

My Broadsides look awesome on the table top very sleek and deadly I'm more than happy with they way these look (at least in person).

Enjoy. There are a few more images on photobucket link in my sig.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 12/09/13]

Post#28 » Nov 17 2013 08:00

I know this update is a long time overdue, but better late than never right!

I've done very little work on my Tau force the last few months. As this (almost) scratch built Felblade has taken up most of my hobby time. It is however now finished. It's taken much longer than expected and I can see plenty of things I do differently. The panels look nice but left it difficult for paint I had a hard time looking at ways to break up the huge plains of red. I'm not a fan of freehand art and I don't like yellow and black stripes... I don't think it fits my army style not that I hate them in concept. Anyway enough blather here are some raw pictures.

Oh this is also the first time I've use my airbrush to do more than just base or varnish a model. CnC welcome let me know what you think. This will be entered in a forum contest the end of the month. (I'm getting better pictures taken for that).

On the Tau front I'm currently working on my drone detachments. I've got 24 gun drones 9 shield drones and I'm working on converting some marker drones but I've run out of antennas and I'm in a scrabble to find as many as I can beg borrow and steal at the moment. I've also caved and bought the fire base boxed set. So look out for that in the new year!

Anyway enough talk from me......

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 17/11/13]

Post#29 » Nov 17 2013 08:47

Blood Ravens? I've recently completed Dawn of War 2 and have been contemplating a themed force around it. That's a pretty immaculate paint job with lots of good, subtle detail!

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 17/11/13]

Post#30 » Dec 07 2013 03:08

CoffeeGrunt wrote:Blood Ravens? I've recently completed Dawn of War 2 and have been contemplating a themed force around it. That's a pretty immaculate paint job with lots of good, subtle detail!

Ha thanks CoffeeGrunt, it's a Blood Angels vehicle not Ravens they are very close in colour scheme so I can see the confusion.

I know you lot must be sick of seeing this super heavy but as I've just won first place in forum contest (£65) I'm going to show off one last time with some semi-professional photo's a friend took for me to enter it with.

Image Image Image Image Image

I will be taking some Tau pictures next as I have finished up two full squads of gun drones and based many more other drone types. I haven't forgotten about our sand loving brethren.

Chris in the socal
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 7/12/13]

Post#31 » Dec 08 2013 01:48

Pretty great job on your Baneblade. Great job on fixing it. Has a real forgeworld feel.
TAU Record 9-2-4

Is That A Sunfish? (Coming Soon)

Kassill
Shas

Post#32 » Dec 10 2013 10:03

:eek: Fantastic work dude! I absolutely love that Riptide, such a great pose. And the weathering is fantastic also! Not to heavy, not to little! Bravo!

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#33 » Dec 10 2013 05:53

Chris in the socal wrote:Pretty great job on your Baneblade. Great job on fixing it. Has a real forgeworld feel.

Thanks dude. I've had a few people tell me that it looks stock or shop bought. I'm quite proud of it, lol. I'm not sure I'm ready to do anything like it again any time soon though. It was much more work than I'd anticipated and the agonising about the subtlest of detail really drained me at times.

Kassill wrote::eek: Fantastic work dude! I absolutely love that Riptide, such a great pose. And the weathering is fantastic also! Not to heavy, not to little! Bravo!

Where were you when I needed votes for the forum comp... :P The weathering is deceptivly easy. I'd do a tutorial but the process is so quick it'd just be a before and after shot like the ones above.

At last a Tau update! These pictures are terrible this time of year I just can't get the lighting to take a good photo, not that I know how the rest of the year. :::(

Here are the two squads of gun drones I've been working on.

The markings on both squads are unique as well as the placement of the secondary army colour. I've done this so as the models from each unit can be quickly distinguished from one another at a distance. An aid more to help me pack them away quickly than to help mid battle.

I've used these in a few games now and they have made there points back every time. In such large squads the enemy see them as a much larger threat then they are. It either forces them to deal with them or manoeuvre out of position to try an avoid them. There speed and ability to lay down a large amount of fire power as well being a T4 wall has proved quite adequate in many games as an annoyance unit. And with a little marker light support can become quite a deadly spearhead.

I have a few more drones made up and ready for paint including; the three new pathfinder drones, marker, missile, shielded missile and shield drones. I could do with many more marker drones as I can see them getting quite a bit of use in the future. I only made the gun drones this time instead to fill out some fluffy units for my cadre over just hammering out the perceived optimal stuff.

I however make and paint either some Kroot or Fire warrior squad or two (maybe even convert some old school railsides) before I get around to the next batch of drones.... Or just sulk until I'm allowed to dig in to the new Firebase support cadre I've got for Christmas.

As always comments are welcome.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#34 » Dec 11 2013 04:39

Missed the post on your tank, pretty big post to miss too! geddit? (dodges rotten tomatoes).. I'm here all week.

It's good to see some tau up again, and a fellow commander who has a love of our disc's of doom - I have a third again more - just love drones.

The photos whilst dark are certainly moody :)

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#35 » Dec 11 2013 05:12

Yeah the pictures do seem to add a bit of the grimdark to my Tau. :D

I'd also have more drones but as I've amassed this many without buying a single drone box set I'm a little loathed to have to do it now.... Though it might have to be on the cards in the near future if I can't find any more going free to a good home. Finding things like this used to be easy, but hardly anyone plays 40k around here any more and have sold off there entire collections. :dead:

Kassill
Shas

Post#36 » Dec 11 2013 11:14

Hehe, sorry I couldn't be here early to brag on the riptide! ;)

One question for you though, how do you achieve the "streak" effect on the weathering? The only streaks I've ever gotten were accidental and not good looking at all, but yours look so natural and well placed.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#37 » Dec 12 2013 04:10

I've refined (simplified) the technique a little bit since my first squad. Over the darker base tone I just follow the model in one direction with quick sweeps of a brush. With tanks and drones that's usually front to back, on suits and infantry it's top to bottom. I'll let the brush splay as it wants and keep an eye on my coverage, the trick it to not cover to much or to little. It's the skips and splits of the brush from the quick movement that creates the effect.

I also use quite a thinned paint mix (50/50ish mix of thinner/colour) so that going over the same area will give a slight tonal variation. Even though the paint is thinned I use it quite dry on the brush (I'm not sure how to describe that any better), this stops the paint from flooding the model and allows for better paint control. The trick with thinning is to keep the paint translucent enough for it give it self the effect of depth with out washing it self out so badly that you'll have to do a 101 layers.

Once that is done I'll go back in with the darker tone and pick out the odd line I've accidentally filled in, but only if it really bothers me to look at. Don't agonise to much just keep the process quick and relatively thoughtless. And if you really mess it up the layers are so thin you can just paint over it and start again.

The white is done almost the same but as it usually goes on smaller areas a smaller brush is used with quicker thinner lines.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask for more clarification if needed.

WarpStudio
Shas

Post#38 » Dec 16 2013 10:22

this is almost scary to see that im using almost the same colors as you, really like your greased striping by the way!

Return to “Project Logs”