The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 17/06/17]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 17/06/17]

Post#1 » Apr 10 2013 05:37

Hi long time no post ATT! I've spent the last few years building up a large blood angels force and with many still unpainted models left I'm going to put them to one side and unpack my Tau army. With the new codex hitting the shelves I've decided to update the look of my army. Not only are they in the T'au dress uniform colours they are painted using very old and time consuming techniques (pre wash and foundation paints). Time for a change!

Image Image

I know this isn't all bad but I feel my skills have improved quite a bit since then and so has my taste. I've always been more of a gamer then a painter. But I've always strived to field a fully painted army to a reasonable standard. With that in mind I've had a play around with some colour options on the the FW painter on BnC and come up with this.

Now This is supposed to be a quick and effective colour scheme to achieve first and foremost as I'll be repainting my entire 8k plus force. With adding in new units *cough* Riptides *cough* I don't really want to be edge highlighting every armour panel.

I'm also much happier painting the blue lenses and think it makes the humble fire warrior pop more.

I Don't want people to think I'm down dressing the old school colour scheme, just that after so long I've grown tired of looking at it as well as painting it. I also now feel a more natural weathered look suits the models better. A total u-turn from my original stand point many moons ago!

I've still to add in squad markings as I'm yet to look for a Tau numerical alphabet, (Is that what it's called?) so I'll add them after a little research.

My battle plan moving forward is to finish up a second FW squad while reading more of the codex. I'll then start on an army list of about 1750 points and paint that up, new units included. I'll be moving on to the more esoteric and flavourful units in my collection once I have a working army list sorted.

I'm going to try my best to complete at least one full unit a week. I'm not going to beat my self up if I don't quite keep to this, but it's worth a shot!

Any and all comments are welcome, I look forward to your feedback.
Last edited by Shas'O Darklighter on Jun 17 2017 04:52, edited 75 times in total.

Brokensword
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter

Post#2 » Apr 10 2013 06:07

Awww Darklighter, I remember the day that you walked into the Orbital, fresh from the Battledome. Good to see you again and don't worry, lots of the old guard have also been reemerging recently. :D

Liking the colours, reminds me of my beloved Tau'shan cadre, though I've been pondering about changing the under suit recently, what colour did you use on your Firewarriors?

Good to have you back, and good to see your work once again.

Tau'va

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Apr 10 2013 07:35

Hi Brokensword it's good the here from you after so long. I've been digging around your old(current) cadre census for inspiration (as well as others). I've got to say I'm liking your new tank camo.

The under-cloth is Tamiya flat brown with GW's Agrax earthshade washed over the top. The armour it self is the flat brown with Tamiya Buff applied smoothly then washed heavily with earthshade. I then go in and work with a small brush and stripe in a thin layer of Buff over the top.

I'm undecided if I should work more highlights into the armour or not as I'm after a quick finish and this will be time consuming.

I'm planning on staying T'au but I'm sorely tempted to go Vior'la after seeing the Riptides picture in the codex.

Brokensword
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Apr 10 2013 07:39

Shas'O Darklighter wrote: .
I'm planning on staying T'au but I'm sorely tempted to go Vior'la after seeing the Riptides picture in the codex.

Changing Septs, no problem, just paint a Red Stripe instead of a White one. :P

Shadow Strike
Shas'La

Post#5 » Apr 10 2013 08:05

Welcome back Shas'O! Interesting dome terrain you have going on in the background, what are they made from?

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Apr 10 2013 09:02

Thank you Shadow Strike. I have a topic on here about them. There are a few better pictures and the answer to your question is about 3-5 posts in with a very brief how to.

Brokensword I know it's not a big change or hard to do I'm just not sure about it yet. It'd solve some issues to have a red sept mark and add in the grey secondary colour. I just can't seem to let my self do it!
Last edited by Shas'O Darklighter on Dec 07 2013 07:08, edited 1 time in total.

Kai'Nan
Shas

Post#7 » Apr 10 2013 11:23

My tip, Try it on a XV8 and a lonely fw first, put them side-by-side with what you already painted, and see which you like best. Also, keep in mind the Camo scheme doesn't determine the sept, the markings do. So if you're worried about the fluffy side of things, it is completely fine to keep the the white T'au makings. (It even says so in the codex now, p79 ;) )

Also, welcome back to the greater good, I just accepted the cause myself. Nice painting and terrain, very inspirational.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Apr 10 2013 01:47

I think that's what I'm going to do. Keep the white and add the squad markings in the sept colour. I'm off to have a play about now and see what I like best.

Edit;

Well after some playing about I've decided to stick with T'au sept. When I painted the white markings it just seemed to fit the models much much better than the red, which looked a little cartoon like (IMO). I hated the look of the red so much that I painted over it before I had chance to take a picture. On the plus side though I've nearly finished up my second Fire Warrior squad. :D

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Apr 18 2013 10:03

After much debate and trial I've definitely decided to stick with T'au sept markings and finished up my second squad (except for the skin tones). I'm undecided if a lighter or darker tone is needed for the flesh. I'm kind of leaning towards a lighter greyer blue with a hint of pink to it.

Image Image

I've also tried my hand at some pre-shading on my Hammer-rays. I was unsure about this as the colour scheme needed more than just a top coat. I thought at worst it'd be a good practice at best make the models look like I'd spent some time on them!

Image Image Image

After this I then sprayed my next colour over the top. The a fairly dark brown went on quite nicely, and once down let some interesting shading come through (as well as show some faults). But I could already see that it would be far to subtle for it to show through my next layer of paint.

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

The top coat went on with a large flat brush to help maintain the brush strokes to make a rough weathered effect. I followed the tanks front to back on the tops (I think it makes them look fast) and then top to bottom on the sides. I'll let you decide if it's worked or not!

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

I've done a little more to the tanks since these where taken. Mainly adding in the black (dark grey) areas. I'm yet to decide if I'm going to use a light grey as well as the white to brake up the panels . I'm at a bit of a stand still about it for the moment. You can see the work I've done so far on the Hammer-rays in the group shots that'll follow.

Image Image

I may have to (once I've finished working on these Tanks) start on Aun'va and finalise my skin tones. As always any and all feedback is welcome especially on the skin tone and tank panel issues! ;)
Last edited by Shas'O Darklighter on Dec 07 2013 07:11, edited 1 time in total.

Jochmann
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Apr 22 2013 07:59

Return to “Project Logs”