The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 10/03/17]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'La

Re: The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 28/02/16]

Post#161 » Mar 05 2016 07:49

The natural surface of bark would work well for paint, but it's not something I've used as I'm unsure of it's long term stability. I was tempted by raw cork bark years ago but never got around to buying any.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'La

Post#162 » Mar 08 2016 06:30

I am gearing up for a local 1500 point Highlander tournament with no lords of war or unbound lists and an army has to come form one book.

Here is my list;

HQ:
Ethereal with Honour blade (I just like that models paint).

Troop:
Strike team 12 man rifles no upgrades.

Kroot 14 man sniper rounds. As I don't own a breacher team This is the only troops I can run.

Elite:
Riptide squadron (2) both with early warning overrides, ion accelerators and fusion blasters and one with a target lock.

Ghostkeel armed with cyclic ion raker and fusion blasters and an early warning override and bonding knife.

Crisis team (3) all armed with plasma rifles and fusion blasters early warning overrides one shas'vre with neuroweb system jammer.

Fast:
Pathfinder squad 6 man no upgrades.

Heavy:
Broadsides High yield missile pod and 6 missile drones and Bonding knives.

Sniper team 3 spotters and 9 drones.

I think it's a pretty solid list and I should do well.. My biggest fears are a full Imperial knight army as three of them would be hard to take down or Landraider, Redeemer, Crusader spam!

Tael
Fio'O

Post#163 » Mar 09 2016 01:03

By Aun... that is sexy. Oh an army list? nice. (Contines to gaze over collection)

Great scheme and the stressed striation technique really pays off - looks so good and the big suits are not dominating the scene as much as you would visually expect.

n1md4
Shas'La

Post#164 » Mar 09 2016 11:46

Oh my greater-goodess! That's gorgeous looking! Very nice work. Love the atmosphere the lighting and colour scheme create.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'La

Post#165 » Apr 09 2016 03:26

Thank you peeps. I've been quite for two reasons lately. One I've been sulking after a really bad showing at the tournament. Poor players led to my poor performance which lead to some not so noble behaviour on my part.... I'm still sore about it. Two my camera has been playing up, It's all sorted now. I think the little one had been playing with my pre-sets!!!

Anyway I can now show off this Stormraven in it's full glory.

Next up will be 4 Dreadnoughts, maybe 6 if I pull my finger out!

Macknight
Shas'La

Re: The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 09/04/16]

Post#166 » Apr 09 2016 04:59

Looks quite good, only thing I suggest is to drill out the gun barrels, it will look much better; if you're worrying about not drilling on center, start with a smaller head then to a proper one that fits the size desired.

Losing is not always bad, most of the time you learn more from it. If I saw your list prior to the tourney I would of suggest you take a D-fish for your ethereal; drop the sniper rounds(being Heavy make them hard to use especially without good armor/cover) on kroot and add a hound; move a few other pieces depending on models available.
For the greater good!

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'La

Post#167 » Apr 10 2016 03:54

It was much less my list and much more my opponents. I got positioned with my back to the timer and played for time in all three of my games.

My first game I had a Ref help my player out with tactics and unit rules of my army. If at the time I'd known he was the ref and not some ones "special" friend I'd of told him where to go... I couldn't concentrate the whole game for smelling him! It's not even like I was playing some kid just learning the game. It was a guy who plays a lot of events and runs most of the local ones in that area.

Game two I was already wound up from the first game and the same ref came over and started to riffle my card deck with his grubby hands. Then luckily left and despite my foe running to the bathroom three time in the match to stall for time it was the better games of the day.

Game three suffered the most from my opponents game stalling tactics, mostly in the form of super slow dice rolling with what looked like weighted dice. This guys just pissed my off from the start. With 15 minuets left we had just finished turn 4 (same as all my other matches that day). I then let my self get bullied into playing the next 3 turns of game play at an uncomfortable pace that lost me that game... As at that point we had a crowed and whilst I was attempting to take a breath to consider my moves I had the same ref that had been pestering me in the first game come over and attempt to snatch my rule book out of my hands... It was at that point I snapped and told him where to go.

All in all the single worst event I've ever been to with the worst people I've ever played against. And to top it all off I am less than proud of my own actions that day.

themoogle
Shas

Post#168 » Apr 11 2016 02:33

I’m not sure how Tournaments in Warhammer work but regularly any ref shouldn’t be explaining/helping with tactics against other players. Discussing unit rules I can agree upon if they are questioned when used.
A ref should be impartial and shouldn’t be siding with anyone or aiding one with tactics. I mean can you imagine it happening in UEFA? or in a super bowl?

Unprofessional behavior to me.

I’m not sure why the ref was even toughing your stuff. ITs not his, it’s not his duty as a referee to touch things unless he is asking fora rule clarification from your codex and in such case a showing and holding the book should be enough. I’m very picky with this myself.

In overall it sounds like there was a lot of buildup to your breakpoint and shouldn’t be beating yourself too much over it, you are remorseful about it but never the less its one time. Given the circumstances I can understand you. Just see it as a learning experience and tell the ref next time to not touch your things. It’s not his; he has no right to touch your things. No one has.

With that said.
I love your paintjob on your models and your scenery for the cadre you used for the tournament.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'La

Post#169 » Apr 11 2016 03:18

Thank you themoogle. To be honest I feel better just getting it out in writing. You are right I just need to move on and forget about it.

I do really like that Photo as well and I think it's spurred me on to sort a gaming board out this summer so I can do a full army shot. I'm not sure how to go about it though as if I make it the right colour for my army and it's bases they'll disappear on it..... I may make a ruined imperial city with a lot of concrete pads lefts in the dirt with roads and maybe a train line semi buried in the dust and sands. I'll keep it all very low level and as flat as possible for playability but it should break up the colour enough to make my army stand out and fit in at the same time.

Macknight
Shas'La

Post#170 » Apr 11 2016 02:38

Shas'O Darklighter wrote:Thank you themoogle. To be honest I feel better just getting it out in writing. You are right I just need to move on and forget about it.

I do really like that Photo as well and I think it's spurred me on to sort a gaming board out this summer so I can do a full army shot. I'm not sure how to go about it though as if I make it the right colour for my army and it's bases they'll disappear on it..... I may make a ruined imperial city with a lot of concrete pads lefts in the dirt with roads and maybe a train line semi buried in the dust and sands. I'll keep it all very low level and as flat as possible for playability but it should break up the colour enough to make my army stand out and fit in at the same time.

Just go buy yourself some gaming mats, my preference are from frontline gaming or gamemat; avoid zuzzy at all cost(very bad rep on dakka, quality not good either)

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/f-a-t-mats/

http://www.gamemat.eu/our-products/batt ... g-mats/us/

Then get yourself a foldable pong table, I got a 5'x9' 2 piece table. The making of a self made table and space to store it, its just not worth it most of the time. I got a 'fallout zone' and 'snow storm' from gamemat and they're great.
For the greater good!

Return to “Project Logs”