The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 17/04/17]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Re: The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 09/04/16]

Post#171 » Apr 11 2016 05:12

I don't like the way dice bounce on gaming mats. I can also do the whole project for a fraction of the cost of the matt alone never mind the price of the table on top. I know buying in would be quicker and easier, but where's the fun in that!

Blueshock
Shas'Vre

Post#172 » Apr 11 2016 07:27

Shas'O Darklighter wrote:I don't like the way dice bounce on gaming mats. I can also do the whole project for a fraction of the cost of the matt alone never mind the price of the table on top. I know buying in would be quicker and easier, but where's the fun in that!

I hear you Dark. I prefer my own home built terrain to most game mats and citadel/premolded terrain. Looks more realistic and not like something out of a fishbowl. I even mold my own sandbags and foxholes at home.

BTW sorry about the tournament bud. If I may ask though, what armies did you face and who won top 3?
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#173 » Apr 12 2016 11:54

I've been to much bigger events as well as one by the same organisers before and I've never had an experience like it! As for the armies my Game one was against Eldar (the guy went on to win). Game two was an IA Armoured battle group list with lots of static artillery with BS4 fearless guards men and three was Space Wolves. Eldar took first place with Demons in second I'm not sure who finished up in third.

I am super excited to get on with the game board. I may even post up some sketches of lay out later in the week.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#174 » Apr 24 2016 04:35

I have been given both the go ahead for the gaming board and free reign to use the loft for my gaming room! I've not got a sketch done yet but I will be working on some very soon.

I've been busy the last few week with more Blood Angels I only got 4 of the planned 6 Dreadnought done But I am quite happy with how they turned out.

I'm not at all sure what I'll do next as I still have the two death company dreads to do. But I've also just got some Crisis suits and *fingers crossed* a Stormsurge on the way for my B'day soon.

Ifrit
Shas'La

Re: The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 24/04/16]

Post#175 » Apr 24 2016 05:57

That's a beautiful red, you need to do a how to tutorial.
That way I can steal your secrets Mwuhahahahahahahaha

Please and thank you. :D

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#176 » Apr 25 2016 07:57

Thank you very Much Ifrit

It's quite easy but you will need an air brush.

I go from a black primer (AV) (through the air brush)

Then I start to layer in the transition with Mechrite Red (old GW) leaving a fade to pure black.

After that it's a layer of blood red leaving some Mechrite showing.... It'll look odd for now but make sure you have left some on show.

I'll then hit all the hard edges with a bright orange fire (AV). This will make the model look really stupid at this stage.

To tie it all up I then lightly blast Carroburg Crimson (GW) over it all. You have to be carful at this stage as it's easy to put to much on just enough to make it wet...

Then the most important step to make the red pop is to them give it a solid gloss varnish. This really brings out the reds (I'd recommend this no matter what technique you use for red) Then follow it up with a matte varnish to knock it back down.

It sounds much more intensive than it is. If I'd of had the hours spare I'd of finished all 4 dreadnoughts in a day. As it was it took a few hours over three days spread over the month. If it took me more then 12 hours I'd be very surprised.

AV paints are Vallejo and GW is Games workshop.... I really need to find a replacement colour for Mechrite red as my personal stash won't last forever!

I've attempted tutorials with pictures but I work far to quickly to get pictures of a quality useable for one... I hope the above helps!

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#177 » May 08 2016 05:21

And I'm back with some Tau.... Well at least the start of a Tau project I'll be painting up a Stormsurge and Breacher team I'll also be painting up 3 Marker drones to finished of my second 12 drone marker drone unit. I have finally made commander Bravestorm to finish up my Farsight 8 but I doubt I'll get him painted with these guys.

I've also been given the go ahead to make a battle board and been given to attic room to turn into a gaming room. I've still not got my thoughts on paper yet but I will be doing it soon! I'll definitely be looking into making a lot of terrain as well once this board is built.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Re: The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 08/05/16]

Post#178 » May 22 2016 01:35

Lots of progress to be had but nothing finished just yet. I can't gat photo's as my main daylight bulb has gone pop and my local hardware shop is all out... I may have to order one online but I don't like the idea of getting a lightbulb through the post!

I've almost finished the Stormsurge and Breacher squad and I've made up two Remoras this afternoon.... Such a lovely model and an exquisite cast! Have the moulds been redone recently?

I've also got some sketches for my gaming board done and settled on an layout.

These are my preliminary ideas all on 8" and 4" with and inch equaling a foot

I really liked the road layout in the third attempt and I'm really happy with how the board fills out over all. I then ran with that road layout and tried some options for the rail line.

I'm not overly keen on this terminal idea and went back to my original plan of a single line (I know in RL track always run in pairs). I've done one more sketch with an eye on keeping the ratios and measurements to scale. I've left out building foot prints as I'm yet to measure up GW's terrain sections.

With that lay out the streets would be 9" wide with 7" roads and and 1.5" of pavement each side.

I'll need 5' of rail track either free G-scale brass or I can get MDF 28mm scale from a web store.

With the track intersecting with the road I've going to have raise the road level up so the surface rides flush with the top of the rails this will also help me add a little depth of detail all over the board... I've not yet worked out exactly how I'm going to do this as wood will be to hard to work with (for me) and styrene wont hold up over time.

The cross hatched section will be a raised train platform to use as a hill. The empty space to the left will be and unloading area that I can use as container storage (not permanent). terrain)

Bottom left will be a parking lot that could be used for bombed out cars and trucks.

When I've got it all made and make a start on filling out the board with terrain I'll be making multi layered ruins as hills that can be placed on a building footprint and removed if not needed. I'd also like to add a train on the track as well as I think that would make some awesome line of sight blocking objectives.

I have lots of ideas and I really need to make a start before I have to much planned and never make a start!

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Re: The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 22/05/16]

Post#179 » May 27 2016 07:28

Time for something a little more flashy than my terrible sketches!

I absolutely loved putting this thing together and the more I read about and looked at this model the more I liked it!

The Breaches are also fantastic just enough changes over a Striker team to make them interesting. My biggest problem though was the armoured plates on the legs have very shallow detail and it makes it difficult over-brush with my painting technique.. Still Tau troops are always a joy for me to paint. :)

I'll have Crisis suits and Remoras up next!

ZainNL
Shas

Re: The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 22/05/16]

Post#180 » May 27 2016 07:43

I love it :D

Very nice color scheme.

Return to “Project Logs”