The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 26/06/17]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Re: The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 10/11/16]

Post#191 » Nov 22 2016 05:20

I've been fairly busy I've gotten a squad of ten assault marines and drop pod finished... I've not taken any pictures of them yet. But I've been bitten by the Blood bowl bug... I'm not allowed my new copy until Christmas so to get me by and able to play and get used to the rules I've been rescued an old team stripped them rebases them and got the pitch ready.

I agonised over the colour scheme for ages and after a brief discussion on face book I'd settled on bone/white cloth and Purple armour. I got the base coat on then then set about building up the layers. I'd Started with a dark brown undercoat. The added a blue tone as the base for the light cloth and went about adding in dark metallics for later chipping effects... The rest they say is history!

I loved the combination of the initial base layers so much I just ran with it! Now lets, play ball!

Tael
Fio'O

Re: The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 22/11/16]

Post#192 » Nov 23 2016 06:29

Clean, bold with a great retro throwback - I think I prefer these guys over the newer models as there is a bold simplicity to the figures. Uncomplicated and yet exude a confident character in their design.

I've got a dozen projects on the go, always enjoyable to see what else folks are working on :D

Thanks for the update! :D

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#193 » Nov 24 2016 09:41

Thanks Tael. From what these guys used to look like form the mess of my old pre-teen paint work to this is such a transformation that I'm taken a back every time I see these pictures never mind the models them selves! As much as nothing difficult went on to get these looking the way they do, I'm supper please with they way they've turned out.... Maybe even proud.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#194 » Nov 25 2016 07:30

Rightly so too. Its an effective result and honestly, more like a sports team. You want bold and signature tones to identify your team mates on the field :)

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#195 » Nov 29 2016 04:41

My up and coming projects one not of my own I have an army commission on the blocks... It's not something I normally do. I've done bit for friends before but I've never charges for my conversion works or my paint. This however is a full army so I had to get a little something for my efforts.

My to do list is and will be:
Logan on chariot (magnetised for detachment),
Axe dreadnought,
Crusader Land raider (old school metal one),
Arjack Rockfist(sp?),
3 Thunderwolf cavalry,
And 15 Wolf guard Terminators;
5 with claws,
5 with thunder hammers and shields,
and the last five have assault cannon and storm bolters all with shields.

They will all be my version of the Heresy grey paint. They will have a dirty gold trim, green lenses and glow effects. I'll be putting them on snow bases, I may even put a touch of water effect on for bit of melt water here and there and some tundra grass tufts to break it up a little bit.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#196 » Feb 26 2017 01:14

Ok I've been quite but not unoccupied, my time has very much been filled. This commission has taken longer than it should of but has turned out fantastically. So much so I've already received another addition to paint up and there are plans to add another 2k points to this list very soon.

This is in part why progress took so long...

Now looking at that paint so close to bare plastic in colour was soul destroying!

I got better very fast once I hit them with more colours.

I really wish I could keep these!

My next project is Blood Bowl both Orks and Human teams. I've also got a Tau shieldline and few 3rd party characters to do.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#197 » Mar 05 2017 03:02

All good, commission can be very absorbing of hobby time. I particularly like the shield work in the last image; what did you do to achieve ageing of the metal boss?

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#198 » Mar 05 2017 05:09

My biggest problem is getting a paint scheme settled on takes me ages, but once that's done I can rattle through them at pace. The green on the shield is Nihilakh Oxide it's also what has been used on all the gems, lenses, and runes as well as the lightening claws... With pure white highlights.

As well as more of these guys I might have a chaos demon (Magnus) and some traitor legion characters coming up soon. For now though I'm back on with some personal projects... I'm going to get my blood bowl set finished up then work on my shieldwall and Wargames exclusive models I got for Christmas. I've got the Humans done so far....

Making these new sculpts roughly match the paint scheme on the older models I've redone recently was a challenge but I think I've gotten some were near!

It should be Orks next unless I get distracted, lol.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#199 » Mar 05 2017 03:51

Nihilakh Oxide? The whole new range often throws me, thanks for the pointer :)

As for distraction, can completely understand that haha.

Team looks great, giving me ideas about converting more active Empire greatswords.

- Tael.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#200 » Mar 10 2017 05:06

Ok managed to not get distracted and get the Ork team done... Lots of new things tried out here I used the FW weathering powders (the two rust ones) as a paint by mixing in acrylic thinners and matt varnish then smattering on dry pigments over the wet paint to ad texture. I'm not sure the final result look like a realistic rust but it sure is visually interesting.

I've still got all the tokens and markers to get painted up but I've done the teams. Then I think I'm on with Bjorn and two character models for my Tau army.... I've still not worked out the colour scheme for my tide wall yet I'm toying with either brown or grey to distinguish it from the rest of my army but still fit in.... I open to ideas as it's breaking my brain trying to settle on an idea!

Return to “Project Logs”