The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 09/10/17]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter

Post#11 » Apr 24 2013 12:18

Thanks for the find Jochmann. After looking at these they are not at all what I thought I was looking for. I'd always assumed that squad markings where numbers or at least symbols that represents first, second, third, ect.. I've decided to just add what looks cool to me. I'll just try and make each one different, at least for units of the same type.

My progress has been a little slow this week. I've almost finished the Hammer-rays. I'm just doing final treatments to the decals then weathering and sealing will follow. I've also started on an all carbine FW squad. I should have an update by the weekend.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Apr 27 2013 11:27

Well as I'm almost out of matt varnish so I've decided to put off weathering my tanks with powders for now and just sealed the decals in place with what I had left. I've also finished up an all carbine fire warrior squad.

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

As well as starting work on my fourth fire warrior squad I've striped Commander Shadowsun and reposed her with a helm on this time.

Image Image

I'm not sure if I'm going to paint her white or keep her matching the rest of the army, but as I'll be going from brown to buff to white I can stop at the buff stage if I like it.

What do you guys think?

I WILL do an Ethereal next and sort out my flesh colours, lol. My battlesuits are awaiting magnets as I can't decide on a weapons fit for them. Then I'll get cracking on reposing them and getting them ready for paint.

Brokensword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Apr 27 2013 11:40

Nice to see that you're enjoying yourself with the Tau. I feel that Commander figures should be coloured differently from the rest of te cadre, wether they be white or have their colours reversed. As you've seen with my Tau'shan Commander, I opted to do white as it looks awesome to have your Shas O standing out from the rest.

I'm still in need of a Shadowsun model for my Cadre. :sad:

Tau'va

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Apr 28 2013 11:26

You make a good point Brokensword. I'll post pictures up when I get to the stage I need to make a more solid decision. For now though I've just finished my last Fire warrior squad and ran out out of thinners and paint. So no more painting for me until I can get more supplies. It's looking like it'll be the back end of the week! :fear:

In the mean time I'm on with cleaning up some old battlesuits I got given. They are a real mess and used to be broadsides, so lots to be done to make them in to a crisis team. Whist digging for parts I also found a plastic bag full of metal stealth suits (6) and some pathfinders, score. :D

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » May 08 2013 05:23

A quick update of my birthday haul. I'm still waiting on a few things that got lost in the post, but this is the most of it.

I've had to order my paint from ebay as my local retailer has a terrible relationship with his suppliers. I also took the opportunity to order a huge tub of thinners while I was at it.

Whilst waiting for these things I've had a play around with my magnets and got three suits all primed and ready.

These are made up from scrap models I was given by friends and the knees on some where badly damaged, that's why I have added the shoulder pads. I don't think they look to out of place but I'll let you be the judge.

It's the first time I've used the flight stands and tried such a dynamic pose. I'm impressed but I'm unsure as to how well I'd be able to alter the rest of my suits.

After my third game and second using my sniper drone team (2spotters 6 drones) I'm going to have to get them painted up soon as I can't see me not running them from now on!

My progress may look slow over the next few weeks as I've started work on my Riptide for the comp. I've just started paint on Shadowsun and the above crisis team so I should still have plenty to post.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [Crisis team]

Post#16 » May 12 2013 07:14

Well here is Shadowsun in the same colour as the rest of my army. I've a bit of touching up to do and little more detail to add, but this is the main colour scheme for her done.... I think!

Image Image Image Image

I've got a layer of paint on my Crisis suits but for some reason the paint has started to dry with a high sheen! It's Tamiya acrylics and it usually dries with a really nice matt finish, almost powdery looking. I use Tamiya's own thinners (the acrylic one as that's what I have locally available). I just add it by eye and feel. The paint is going down well but then drying with high shine. Even my Vallejo model colour has a slight shine to it! Any help would be most welcome. I can post Pictures if needed.

Brokensword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [Shadowsun]

Post#17 » May 12 2013 08:27

I'm loving the gritty look of your Shadowsun and the drones. I usually go for the dirtied up look for my models, but that is top notch mate. :)

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » May 12 2013 03:38

Thank you very much Brokensword. Once I've got my first Crisis team painted I'll do an army shot so you can see how she fits in with the rest of the cadre.

I'm just about to add a second layer to my Crisis team to try and get rid of the shine and to build up the layers a bit more. I'll post pictures when I've got this done and the rest detailed. If it still dries with a shine I'm just going to hit the whole model(s) with a matt varnish and not worry to much about it. In the mean time if any knows what the problem is I'd be happy to find out if it's avoidable.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#19 » May 17 2013 11:28

It's taken a few days and under the lighting I have rigged up at the moment the colours are a little off (Summer is on the fritz in England). Here we go this is my Army repainted so far.
Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

When I get a chance (and remember to take my camera) I'll take some pictures on a battlefield as they look a little odd against a cutting mat.

Here is a closer look at Shadowsun surrounded by her cadre.

I've finished my Crisis team and I can't wait to paint more weapon options and get them magnetised.

Image Image Image Image

I've also been keeping a track of my Squad markings just in case people are interested.

The first line is my fire warrior teams, then the rest is self explanatory.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [Crisis team]

Post#20 » May 31 2013 06:55

Well it's been awhile as I've spent most of my time recently on my Riptide, but I have got some other units in the works. Here is My sniper drone team finished and ready for action.

Image Image Image Image

After many games I've used these drones in all but one of my recent battles. I've found them to be a stand out unit this edition and I can't wait to add an other boxed set to this squad. I find that the ability to put out the hurt at 24” and remain a low priority target by your enemy to be indispensable.

I've also been working on my second Crisis team. Again I have magnetised the weapons for future proofing my units I'm yet to paint up any options to swap with yet but I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually!

Image Image Image Image

I've had to paint up the Cadre Fireblade as I've also used this guy quite often. Though I'm now thinking of swapping him out for Darkstrider.... Or Maybe I'll just add him to my 2k list?

I've also made some slight adjustments to Farsight's pose and altered his iconography to make him fit the rest of my army (before he went rouge perhaps). I'm yet to use him as I'm finding I need Shadowsun for tank hunting more than I need a drop unit. I find she's better suited to get in and out of harms way than a (potentially) large deep striking unit.

Image Image Image

As you can see I've also made up Longstikre and Darkstrider for paint. I think for long range tank hunting Longstrike is a must with Railhead. I'm going to go to a bits site and buy a turret just for him to sit in as all my current ones are glued shut with no sign of letting go with out destroying the cupola.

That's it for this update I'll have more for you soon.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 31/5/13]

Post#21 » Jul 11 2013 07:48

I've kept my WiP on the hush for a few weeks while the Riptide competition came to an end so as to not unduly sway any votes with favouritism. I decided to go for a less is more approach (that judging by some responses I was penalised for) and keep the model almost completely stock. I wanted this models pose to do all the talking. I set about positioning with blue-tack until I found the imposing stance I was looking for.

I did want a support system to be represented on this model, but I feel the ones provided are a little overly cluttering. As I enjoy the simple clean lines of this model and the Tau in general I decided to added a resin antenna from the Forge World Tiger Shark kit. It's much smaller than the Hammerhead/Devilfish one and suits the scale of the Riptide much better in my mind.

I also like to compete in GW events so I had to keep my parts limited to “official” bitz. And as I game on a very tight budget I could not afford to enter a model I couldn't use on the table top. With that in mind I set about painting the Riptide in my new army colours. This is a very simple paint scheme to achieve but I think has real impact on the table.

The base was made from an old Piranha I got in a job lot of second had models from a friend years ago that was too damaged and badly built to rescue. I'd have gone the slate route but with such a large model (that has and will get a lot of use) I wanted it to be solidly glued to the base plate.

Finally the story. It didn't take long (as you can tell) but for those of you who are long in the tooth and memory it's a small continuation of the story of Ukos the survivor from my Objective marker entry many moons ago. (link for the newer readers. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13008 )

I'll be getting the camera out this week to take some pictures of the things I've been working on in the last month. These will Feature a Pathfinder team, my third crisis team, Aun'va a converted missile-side team and more!

Also My post are going to get a little more picture heavy as Photo bucket seems to have lost the ability to link thumbnails?
Last edited by Shas'O Darklighter on Dec 07 2013 07:28, edited 1 time in total.

Plarzoid
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 11/7/13]

Post#22 » Jul 11 2013 09:50

That's a great pose. It's as if he's just won a battle, and is taking a breather to survey the field and see where he'e needed next. It says "no rest for the weary" to me.

What paint did you use for the split, big metallic disc on the jetpack? It feels like a cross between gold and aluminum - I love it.
Check out my hobby blog: http://www.plarzoid.com

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#23 » Jul 11 2013 10:56

Thank you that's exactly the feel I was going for. The gold is Tamiya's Titanium gold (X-31) layered over a black base and a Black wash (GW's) over the gold.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#24 » Aug 07 2013 05:50

I've finally found the time to sit and take some photo's. Trying to keep up with the hobby, look after an almost 2 year old kid and keep fit is not an easy task!

I've delayed posting my Pathfinders as I kept forgetting to add white markings to the Shas'ui. These are my old team repainted. I have been given more old metal ones that I'm going to add to this team at a later date to make them up to a full 10 man squad. I have a new boxed set that I have built with 6 special weapons two Shas'ui and 2 norms. The idea is to run 4-5 man Devastator style squads to harass the enemy and force them to deal with a fairly cheep unit or be punished for ignoring them. At the very least they'll be fun units to play with.

Image Image

I have painted up Darkstrider as well but seem to have forgotten to take a photo at this time!

I've torn up my Deathrain suits to add some magnets for other weapon options. This will make my third Crisis team. I loved my Deathrain suits in the last few editions because they where a cheep option that could still bring on the pain. This edition they are far from the cheep option and I feel for the points I'd rather take other weapons. This may change as the edition progresses, but with magnets in place I can now swap the weapons at a later date with no hassle.

I used the Pods that I took off these to convert my old Railsides to Missilesides. I used a new Rifleside I'd built as a size comparison and mounted the models on slate to make them the correct hight and put them on the larger base size to keep line of sight roughly the same. I'm pleased with the way these look. I still have a little green stuffing to do on them before I get them ready for paint, but I'd like to hear what you lot think.

I'm also getting excited about painting up some drones!

I've decided with this cadre I'm going to reserve white as a primary shade for my Ethereals to make them stand out more on the battle field. I've also used gold for the “sept” markings. I like the way it looks and to me that's more important than the background. I'm keeping this army to a limited pallet as I have tried to add in more contrasting colours, but I'm not seeming to be able to get the balance right. So for now I'm sticking to the earthy browns and blue lenses.

I've got my Commander model posed but can't decide what weapons or support systems to put on him or where to magnetise him. I think my main problem Is that he looks far to cool naked!

I'm not sure what I'll get on with next as I'm working on a super heavy conversion for my BA's army. The construction is nearing completion, but it's going to take awhile to paint. I may take a break though once it's built as I'm starting to get sick of the sight of it. I can post picture if people are interested.

I'll try not to leave it so long before my next update. I hope you enjoyed looking at my fumblings. Tau'va Baby!

Nevar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 07/08/13]

Post#25 » Aug 07 2013 06:25

Great work as usual.

Looking forward to more of the same.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 07/08/13]

Post#26 » Aug 28 2013 09:29

Thank you very much Nevar. Now for something a little different!

I've been slow with updates as I'd ran out of free space on photobucket (the wives fault) and it's made me lose drive a little. I'm not upgraded and ready to go once again so I thought I'd start with the Blood Angels Felblade/glave I've been working on.

The start of the project was a very badly built Baneblade I bought off a friend. The up shot was it came apart really easily, but some parts went back together quite badly (the tracks mainly). I then set about adding plasticard to give it more of a marine feel. I used the forge world tank for reference , but decided to add more wargear looking elements to it. I wanted to represent the ceramite plating and had to add a gunner to show that marines where manning the vehicle. Looking at the tank I decided it would be far simpler to add a full side panel than to file and smooth them flat. I drew around the tank to give me a rough profile and laid out the position of the doors, hatches and skirt profile. After cutting out these shapes I then attached them and started building up the layers of plasticard filing and trimming the panels as I went. (the tank isn't very true so I had to do most of it by eye). At this point I've done most of the major construction and have an overall shape I'm happy with.

Image Image Image Image

At this point you can see I've still not finalised the rear section and engines and I've also started to think about adding some chapter embellishments.

Image Image

I've kept the demolisher cannon magnetised so that it can be removed for the Felglave variant. I'll be making a replacement panel at a later date. The gun will also be undergoing a major overhaul to make it suitable for use as either gun.

I'll post more on this project later on in the week (if I get the chance) and I'm going to get a unit or two of Tau done before I make much more progress on this... The poor Tau are feeling neglected I can feel it in my paint pot.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 28/08/13]

Post#27 » Sep 12 2013 02:14

Ok now back to Tau. I've been working on Crisis team 3 and my converted Broadsides this last week. I've also been messing with some camera settings. Now I have a much better image (I think) but it shows just how quick and dirty my paint work is on this army and I'm not sure how well these next pictures will be received. So be nice, lol.

Here is the Crisis team the weapons are shoulder mounted this time as they originally had missile pods on the shoulders to represent Deathrain suits. I've removed all Pods from my army for now but have replaced all mountings with magnets so I can fit what ever I like at a later date. When I made these suits I have filled in the rebate on the arms and messed up the shoulder slots so I couldn't (without spending forever in a day on it) neaten it up enough to change the positioning. They are different at least!

My Broadsides look awesome on the table top very sleek and deadly I'm more than happy with they way these look (at least in person).

Enjoy. There are a few more images on photobucket link in my sig.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 12/09/13]

Post#28 » Nov 17 2013 08:00

I know this update is a long time overdue, but better late than never right!

I've done very little work on my Tau force the last few months. As this (almost) scratch built Felblade has taken up most of my hobby time. It is however now finished. It's taken much longer than expected and I can see plenty of things I do differently. The panels look nice but left it difficult for paint I had a hard time looking at ways to break up the huge plains of red. I'm not a fan of freehand art and I don't like yellow and black stripes... I don't think it fits my army style not that I hate them in concept. Anyway enough blather here are some raw pictures.

Oh this is also the first time I've use my airbrush to do more than just base or varnish a model. CnC welcome let me know what you think. This will be entered in a forum contest the end of the month. (I'm getting better pictures taken for that).

On the Tau front I'm currently working on my drone detachments. I've got 24 gun drones 9 shield drones and I'm working on converting some marker drones but I've run out of antennas and I'm in a scrabble to find as many as I can beg borrow and steal at the moment. I've also caved and bought the fire base boxed set. So look out for that in the new year!

Anyway enough talk from me......

Return to “Project Logs”