The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 09/10/17]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Chris in the socal
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 7/12/13]

Post#31 » Dec 08 2013 01:48

Pretty great job on your Baneblade. Great job on fixing it. Has a real forgeworld feel.
TAU Record 9-2-4

Is That A Sunfish? (Coming Soon)

Kassill
Shas

Post#32 » Dec 10 2013 10:03

:eek: Fantastic work dude! I absolutely love that Riptide, such a great pose. And the weathering is fantastic also! Not to heavy, not to little! Bravo!

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#33 » Dec 10 2013 05:53

Chris in the socal wrote:Pretty great job on your Baneblade. Great job on fixing it. Has a real forgeworld feel.

Thanks dude. I've had a few people tell me that it looks stock or shop bought. I'm quite proud of it, lol. I'm not sure I'm ready to do anything like it again any time soon though. It was much more work than I'd anticipated and the agonising about the subtlest of detail really drained me at times.

Kassill wrote::eek: Fantastic work dude! I absolutely love that Riptide, such a great pose. And the weathering is fantastic also! Not to heavy, not to little! Bravo!

Where were you when I needed votes for the forum comp... :P The weathering is deceptivly easy. I'd do a tutorial but the process is so quick it'd just be a before and after shot like the ones above.

At last a Tau update! These pictures are terrible this time of year I just can't get the lighting to take a good photo, not that I know how the rest of the year. :::(

Here are the two squads of gun drones I've been working on.

The markings on both squads are unique as well as the placement of the secondary army colour. I've done this so as the models from each unit can be quickly distinguished from one another at a distance. An aid more to help me pack them away quickly than to help mid battle.

I've used these in a few games now and they have made there points back every time. In such large squads the enemy see them as a much larger threat then they are. It either forces them to deal with them or manoeuvre out of position to try an avoid them. There speed and ability to lay down a large amount of fire power as well being a T4 wall has proved quite adequate in many games as an annoyance unit. And with a little marker light support can become quite a deadly spearhead.

I have a few more drones made up and ready for paint including; the three new pathfinder drones, marker, missile, shielded missile and shield drones. I could do with many more marker drones as I can see them getting quite a bit of use in the future. I only made the gun drones this time instead to fill out some fluffy units for my cadre over just hammering out the perceived optimal stuff.

I however make and paint either some Kroot or Fire warrior squad or two (maybe even convert some old school railsides) before I get around to the next batch of drones.... Or just sulk until I'm allowed to dig in to the new Firebase support cadre I've got for Christmas.

As always comments are welcome.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#34 » Dec 11 2013 04:39

Missed the post on your tank, pretty big post to miss too! geddit? (dodges rotten tomatoes).. I'm here all week.

It's good to see some tau up again, and a fellow commander who has a love of our disc's of doom - I have a third again more - just love drones.

The photos whilst dark are certainly moody :)

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#35 » Dec 11 2013 05:12

Yeah the pictures do seem to add a bit of the grimdark to my Tau. :D

I'd also have more drones but as I've amassed this many without buying a single drone box set I'm a little loathed to have to do it now.... Though it might have to be on the cards in the near future if I can't find any more going free to a good home. Finding things like this used to be easy, but hardly anyone plays 40k around here any more and have sold off there entire collections. :dead:

Kassill
Shas

Post#36 » Dec 11 2013 11:14

Hehe, sorry I couldn't be here early to brag on the riptide! ;)

One question for you though, how do you achieve the "streak" effect on the weathering? The only streaks I've ever gotten were accidental and not good looking at all, but yours look so natural and well placed.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#37 » Dec 12 2013 04:10

I've refined (simplified) the technique a little bit since my first squad. Over the darker base tone I just follow the model in one direction with quick sweeps of a brush. With tanks and drones that's usually front to back, on suits and infantry it's top to bottom. I'll let the brush splay as it wants and keep an eye on my coverage, the trick it to not cover to much or to little. It's the skips and splits of the brush from the quick movement that creates the effect.

I also use quite a thinned paint mix (50/50ish mix of thinner/colour) so that going over the same area will give a slight tonal variation. Even though the paint is thinned I use it quite dry on the brush (I'm not sure how to describe that any better), this stops the paint from flooding the model and allows for better paint control. The trick with thinning is to keep the paint translucent enough for it give it self the effect of depth with out washing it self out so badly that you'll have to do a 101 layers.

Once that is done I'll go back in with the darker tone and pick out the odd line I've accidentally filled in, but only if it really bothers me to look at. Don't agonise to much just keep the process quick and relatively thoughtless. And if you really mess it up the layers are so thin you can just paint over it and start again.

The white is done almost the same but as it usually goes on smaller areas a smaller brush is used with quicker thinner lines.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask for more clarification if needed.

WarpStudio
Shas

Post#38 » Dec 16 2013 10:22

this is almost scary to see that im using almost the same colors as you, really like your greased striping by the way!

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#39 » Dec 17 2013 08:57

Thank you Warpstudio. It's cool to see how different the same colours can look with just a slight variation on paint application. I'd toyed with the idea of a grey accent colour when I first started my repaint. It would have looked much closer to your cadre if I'd stuck with it.

The anticipation of Christmas has killed all my modelling motivation. I don't want to start a new project and every time I do think of one I'll find an excuse not to go ahead with it! I can't bring my self to finish up the last handful of drones or decide on how to finish the modelling of my commander..... It's not even like I plan to dig straight into my firebase support cadre as soon as I get it. As I can't for the life of me decide how I'm going to model the broadside squads. Missiles or Railguns! I like the rules for the missiles and the look of the railguns, that and I think with the new expansions we'll need all the high AV defeating weapons we can muster..... Maybe?

I know I'm over thinking it a little, lol.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#40 » Jan 02 2014 06:02

Here is my Christmas haul.

It's going to take me an age to decide how to model my Broadsides.... I have at least made up my mind about the Sunshark and got that built up. I wasn't a fan of the model from the pictures I've seen, but the kit went together so well that I fell in love with it. It's so satisfying getting all the parts to move correctly.

Here is my progress so far.

I'm thinking of a two tone paint job but going lighter on the underside would look odd against an already fairly light colour. So I was thinking maybe going black? What do you guys think and is there a military precedent for it? My thinking is from above it'd match the terrain but from the below it would hide in a night sky or maybe a low atmosphere sky (space).

Now I have the updated Taros book I might even repaint my Barracudas with the Sunshark for some hardcore air superiority.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 02/01/14]

Post#41 » Jan 02 2014 06:35

Nice build on the Sun Shark, have you magnetised it to be swappable with the Razorshark?

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#42 » Jan 03 2014 06:17

I had seriously thought about it but after much kit and rules reviews I decided it's be far to much hassle for an option I'll never ever use. I can't see any point in using the razor shark over the sun shark. To make the razor shark and air superiority fighter you'll want to swap the burst cannon for TL missile pod and for a few points more you can just use the Sun shark. That can detach the drones to chase other units (and at half range has the same amount of shots and the quad ion gun) and have bombing run whilst still being just as deadly a fighter craft in it's own right. Also the networked markerlight with skyfire is never to be sniffed at, unless I'm missing something? If in the next edition the rules for the Razor get better I'll just add more to the army then, but for now I'm happy with just the bomber and 'Cuddas.

I did magnatise the missile pods though, so it can be single or twin linked.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#43 » Jan 03 2014 06:56

It was quite the pain magnetising mine, but I'm glad I did it if only for the versatility. I really wanna buy a 'Cuda, I'm trying to find a way to mount a magnetised Ion Cannon from my Hammerhead kit onto the nose of the Sun Shark chassis, and use Hammerhead Burst Cannons for the sponsons in place of the drones. It'll end up a bit backwards shaped, but similar enough for proxying.

The Missile Pods on the Barracuda are built into the front of the craft itself, am I right?

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#44 » Jan 03 2014 07:04

It should be a good project and I'll keep my eye out for it. The missile pods are along the front wing here is a picture of mine for you to have a look at.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#45 » Jan 31 2014 07:43

I've had a lot of projects started and unfinished lately mainly due to not getting the time to whip out my air brush to move on my airborne support wing to the next stage. I have how ever managed to make an other Cadre Fireblade. This was painted up for a forum comp. I didn't place well but I was in it for the numbers and motivation more than anything else. I knew it had to match my fast paint technique Cadre scheme so I didn't realistically expect a win.

I think her face has turned out very Na'vi looking and at one point I was tempted to add face paint spots. I'm really surprised by how different the model looks without the cloak I was not expecting her to look so feminine.

Next up should be my air support; 2 Barracuda and a Sunshark bomber Finger crossed I should get chance this weekend if my cold doesn't get any worse!
Last edited by Shas'O Darklighter on Feb 27 2014 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

Le Pistolet
Shas

Post#46 » Jan 31 2014 10:21

I absolutely love the colour scheme and the weather, particularly on the Crisis Suits.

The new Fireblade looks excellent too- very characterful.

Keep up the good work!

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#47 » Feb 03 2014 09:16

Thank you Le Pistolet. :D

My air support wing is finished! When placing the models for photo's I noticed that they fit together in a odd formation. This couldn't be by design could it? Now these are done I have a real hankering to get my Tiger Shark AX-1-0 done to match.... :biggrin:

With these complete I'm not sure what to do next I have a few projects I could get on with before building new models, but as none of them are needed for army lists right now I'm in no real rush to tackle them. Things that need updating from my old scheme are a Tiger Shark, 3 Piranhas, 2 Devilfish, 2 stealth teams, an old ethereal honour guard squad, a few shield and marker drones, a marker tower and a plasma gun turret. I should get the transports done and maybe the Piranhas but while I'm at it I may as well throw in the Tiger shark for one big batch painting nightmare of awesomeness. :fear:

The other option is to paint up Farsight in black (I've made up my mind that all Farsight models including the 8 are going to be in black armour). But this would mean I'd have to follow up on Brokenswords recommendation of painting my other commanders white and would mean another repaint for poor old Shadowsun.... :crafty:

With that much hobby flying around my head there's only one thing to do and that is have a good sort out and tidy up of my work space. It should help me gain some clarity on the matter. Of course I'm open to suggestions from you guys as always. ;)
Last edited by Shas'O Darklighter on Feb 27 2014 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 23/03/14]

Post#48 » Feb 26 2014 03:03

Ok well I went with the Devilfish and Piranhas sans Tigershark (I chickened out). They took longer than I'd hope to finish not because they where hard to do, but because I found very little time to do any hobby.

The next Tau unit I'll be working on will be a squad of Vespid. I've got them base coated, washed and ready for highlighing and detailing.

I'm going to try and build up a flesh coloured highlight to make them look like they have a dark blackish flesh that looks different to the Tau suits tertiary colour. I'm not sure if it'll work or if I can pull it off, but I'm going to give it a try. :fear:

I've also got an Inquisitor scale Marine stuck together and adorned with Blood Angels Iconography. I'll be starting paint on him in April and I'll keep you guys posted about my progress. I'm looking forward to painting such a large scale model for change. :biggrin:

Last edited by Shas'O Darklighter on Mar 23 2014 04:14, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Project Logs”