The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 08/05/17]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 02/01/14]

Post#41 » Jan 02 2014 06:35

Nice build on the Sun Shark, have you magnetised it to be swappable with the Razorshark?

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#42 » Jan 03 2014 06:17

I had seriously thought about it but after much kit and rules reviews I decided it's be far to much hassle for an option I'll never ever use. I can't see any point in using the razor shark over the sun shark. To make the razor shark and air superiority fighter you'll want to swap the burst cannon for TL missile pod and for a few points more you can just use the Sun shark. That can detach the drones to chase other units (and at half range has the same amount of shots and the quad ion gun) and have bombing run whilst still being just as deadly a fighter craft in it's own right. Also the networked markerlight with skyfire is never to be sniffed at, unless I'm missing something? If in the next edition the rules for the Razor get better I'll just add more to the army then, but for now I'm happy with just the bomber and 'Cuddas.

I did magnatise the missile pods though, so it can be single or twin linked.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Post#43 » Jan 03 2014 06:56

It was quite the pain magnetising mine, but I'm glad I did it if only for the versatility. I really wanna buy a 'Cuda, I'm trying to find a way to mount a magnetised Ion Cannon from my Hammerhead kit onto the nose of the Sun Shark chassis, and use Hammerhead Burst Cannons for the sponsons in place of the drones. It'll end up a bit backwards shaped, but similar enough for proxying.

The Missile Pods on the Barracuda are built into the front of the craft itself, am I right?

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#44 » Jan 03 2014 07:04

It should be a good project and I'll keep my eye out for it. The missile pods are along the front wing here is a picture of mine for you to have a look at.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#45 » Jan 31 2014 07:43

I've had a lot of projects started and unfinished lately mainly due to not getting the time to whip out my air brush to move on my airborne support wing to the next stage. I have how ever managed to make an other Cadre Fireblade. This was painted up for a forum comp. I didn't place well but I was in it for the numbers and motivation more than anything else. I knew it had to match my fast paint technique Cadre scheme so I didn't realistically expect a win.

I think her face has turned out very Na'vi looking and at one point I was tempted to add face paint spots. I'm really surprised by how different the model looks without the cloak I was not expecting her to look so feminine.

Next up should be my air support; 2 Barracuda and a Sunshark bomber Finger crossed I should get chance this weekend if my cold doesn't get any worse!
Last edited by Shas'O Darklighter on Feb 27 2014 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

Le Pistolet
Shas

Post#46 » Jan 31 2014 10:21

I absolutely love the colour scheme and the weather, particularly on the Crisis Suits.

The new Fireblade looks excellent too- very characterful.

Keep up the good work!

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#47 » Feb 03 2014 09:16

Thank you Le Pistolet. :D

My air support wing is finished! When placing the models for photo's I noticed that they fit together in a odd formation. This couldn't be by design could it? Now these are done I have a real hankering to get my Tiger Shark AX-1-0 done to match.... :biggrin:

With these complete I'm not sure what to do next I have a few projects I could get on with before building new models, but as none of them are needed for army lists right now I'm in no real rush to tackle them. Things that need updating from my old scheme are a Tiger Shark, 3 Piranhas, 2 Devilfish, 2 stealth teams, an old ethereal honour guard squad, a few shield and marker drones, a marker tower and a plasma gun turret. I should get the transports done and maybe the Piranhas but while I'm at it I may as well throw in the Tiger shark for one big batch painting nightmare of awesomeness. :fear:

The other option is to paint up Farsight in black (I've made up my mind that all Farsight models including the 8 are going to be in black armour). But this would mean I'd have to follow up on Brokenswords recommendation of painting my other commanders white and would mean another repaint for poor old Shadowsun.... :crafty:

With that much hobby flying around my head there's only one thing to do and that is have a good sort out and tidy up of my work space. It should help me gain some clarity on the matter. Of course I'm open to suggestions from you guys as always. ;)
Last edited by Shas'O Darklighter on Feb 27 2014 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 23/03/14]

Post#48 » Feb 26 2014 03:03

Ok well I went with the Devilfish and Piranhas sans Tigershark (I chickened out). They took longer than I'd hope to finish not because they where hard to do, but because I found very little time to do any hobby.

The next Tau unit I'll be working on will be a squad of Vespid. I've got them base coated, washed and ready for highlighing and detailing.

I'm going to try and build up a flesh coloured highlight to make them look like they have a dark blackish flesh that looks different to the Tau suits tertiary colour. I'm not sure if it'll work or if I can pull it off, but I'm going to give it a try. :fear:

I've also got an Inquisitor scale Marine stuck together and adorned with Blood Angels Iconography. I'll be starting paint on him in April and I'll keep you guys posted about my progress. I'm looking forward to painting such a large scale model for change. :biggrin:

Last edited by Shas'O Darklighter on Mar 23 2014 04:14, edited 1 time in total.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Re: The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 23/03/14]

Post#49 » Mar 23 2014 04:13

These guys have been finished for a while now but with my camera batteries dieing on me and hobby time being cut to a minimum I've only just gotten around to taking and uploading a photo.

I love the look of these guys but I've had no luck at all in using them in games. They either get smashed off the board before getting to act or roll so badly they might as well not have bothered showing up! I've never made my points back with them this codex and I'm not sure why....

Next up will be Farsight.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] The return of the Darklighter [update 28/03/14]

Post#50 » Mar 28 2014 08:07

Another side project I've been working on was an ancient ruin inspired by the old ones background. It's also my twist on the star dias that Farsight found. I know it's nothing like in the background but as a proxy I think it'll work well. They Mayan glyphs do indeed tell a story of my own, but I'm no language scholor so it's very much a basic attempt at it.

Let me know what you think and I'll get to working on Farsight him self, then it'll be the inquisitor scale Marine. Maybe followed my my Tigershark.....

Return to “Project Logs”