The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 09/10/17]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 13/04/17]

Post#217 » Apr 14 2017 05:23

Lucky for you as prolific a painter I may be I'm not a man of many words so it'll not take as long as it might seem.... It'd be a nice change of pace to be the inspiration for you rather then you being the inspiration for me.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 13/04/17]

Post#218 » Apr 14 2017 01:52

I was supposed to be painting my tide wall but got distracted by this fella!

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 14/04/17]

Post#219 » Apr 14 2017 02:21

Ok I need some sort of help with this as I'm all over the place to try and work out a colour scheme for my tide wall!

These are the colours of my army's various factions. Black being Farsight and Vespids, Tan for normal Tau fire warriors and white for my Command structure. I've seen in white dwarf they have gone with white to match the command characters but I'm unsure.... Also my Kroot are Brown, if that helps!

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#220 » Apr 14 2017 05:01

I'm having issues with my wall as well. But for you I think it honestly depends on what you're doing with it. If it's just terrain or actually going to be fielded... But I partially feel like the all white Wall is a little over done.
But if it were to follow your Crisis Suit (the non commander) or your FW I think it'd look pretty cool.

Just my two cents :biggrin:

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#221 » Apr 15 2017 12:02

Can understand why you got distracted - full on model that. One of the better Chaplain figures.

Very cool array of work with the defense wall. That sash is a great touch.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#222 » Apr 15 2017 05:31

It's literally just the spare cloak off a Cadre Fire Blade with some tau symbols cast with green stuff from a crisis suits ear antenna as attachment buttons to cover up the join.

I'm in two minds... Maybe three! I could just go with the standard white. It's make sense to go with the Tan camouflage to blend in with the war zone but it doesn't add any contrast to my army. I'm thinking of a Grey but fear it's just going to shoe horn yet another colour scheme into my force.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#223 » Apr 15 2017 06:35

The official scheme for the tidewall is a fairly cream white and tan, personally I recommend a purer white.

Tau buildings are traditionally colored a pure white in artwork anyways, and it's already a color in your scheme (and a rarer one by the looks of it, so it won't be overdone). I know I plan on making mine pure white for similar reasons. One, it's the inverse of my urban scheme which primaries black armor with some white. Two, like the way it stands out on the board; it symbolizes the sterile purity of the greater good and imposes itself on the battlefield.

But tan is good too for camo and practical reasons :P .

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#224 » Apr 15 2017 08:17

Thank you for the input ARC'Thunder, and honestly I'm sort of leaning that way my self at the moment. I layer my whites over the tans so if I get so far and like I can just stop.

I've been scratching my head so hard thinking about how I'm going to move forward with this project that I've already managed to finish the red on 14 more Terminators!

If I don't crack on today with the tide wall I'll hit it Monday... I'm drinking tonight so I doubt anything productive will come of tomorrow, lol.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#225 » Apr 17 2017 02:41

I've finally stopped over thinking the colour scheme for this tidewall, lol.

Thanks guys your feed back, it helped me to really move forward with this one.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#226 » Apr 17 2017 03:20

Looks great :)

Reminds me I need to finish mine off...

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#227 » Apr 17 2017 08:11

Nicely weather worn :D Looks very good man :)

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#228 » Apr 18 2017 03:58

Thanks guys. I definitely need a new lamp set up for large models as lighting this was a pain! I think it's time to look into an LED lamp, one of those long ones that could hover over the majority of my photography space.... I'll do some research.

guges
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 17/04/17]

Post#229 » Apr 18 2017 03:44

The posing and terrain is awesome. Very consistent use of color as well.

The weathering on the Tidewall terrain is also pretty awesome. They look like they've been in a dust storm.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#230 » Apr 18 2017 06:02

Thank you guges. Painting weathered and beaten armour and structures just adds an extra level of interest without taking hours over painstaking techniques... It's cheap trick but I like it. Consistency though out my army is something I've strived to keep. It's not as perfect as I'd like, but I think I see it more than others. It really means a lot to me for you to pick up on it.

Brokensword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#231 » Apr 25 2017 01:46

That's awesome job that you have done with the tide wall. I would like to get myself some of that action but it actually scares me as I'm not the greatest at scenery painting and I love battle suits too much, they get priority with my hobby funds. Great job.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#232 » Apr 25 2017 03:11

Thanks man. I totally understand, I was lucky enough that a good friend bought me this for Christmas. I also wouldn't worry about tackling terrain it's much much more forgiving that minis.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#233 » Apr 27 2017 12:15

These have been painted to fin in with the Space wolf army I did, so I went for a much greener tone with them... I think it makes them look really sinister!

Brokensword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#234 » May 04 2017 02:10

Shas'O Darklighter wrote:These have been painted to fin in with the Space wolf army I did, so I went for a much greener tone with them... I think it makes them look really sinister!

They are looking very sinister but awesome none the less, some really nice work there Darklighter.

Return to “Project Logs”