The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 09/10/17]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
samuraioshovah
Shas

Re: The return of the Darklighter [[WIP] update 03/04/14]

Post#55 » Apr 08 2014 09:14

I love your work! Everything is rustic, tough, and beautifully detailed!
Mobile Armor Division...71-12-11 2014 Season 14-4-3

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: The return of the Darklighter [[WIP] update 03/04/14]

Post#56 » Apr 21 2014 10:18

Cheers samuraioshovah.

I've recently been talked into a tale of 4 gamers(ish) challenge to help a friend find the motivation to paint up his huge collection of imperial guard. It's going to run for 4 months starting in May, by the end we should all have at least 2000 points painted. Month 1 is the core of our armies needing 1 HQ and 2 Troop to be completed. At the end of each month we will game with the models we have painted for the quota and hopefully write up battle reports, some may even get recorded? As an incentive to over achieve at the end of the 4 months we will have an Apoc battle with everything we have painted regardless of points cost.

I could have used this as an excuse to jump back into painting my Blood Angels..... But where would the fun in that be! We have started the challenge by taking pictures of our to do pile. Here is mine. The sprues include 6 boradsides 24 Kroot and 24 Firewarriors.

Since this picture was taken I've built about half of it. ready for paint and made a list for my first months pledge.

My units are being built as additions to my main force and as such are not being built for maximum effectiveness. As a gamer though I'll add units in such a way that I'll make the best out of what models I have.... At least that's the plan.

HQ Ethereal

Troop 12 Kroot 1 Shaper 1 hound.

Heavy 3 Railsides.

The exact wargear is yet to be worked out but these will form my first 500 points list. I will also be painted my Tiger shark that month for an other forum challenge. It should be useful for the Apoc battle at the end especially if all 4 of my friends baneblade variants get finished!

All the models will be painted to match my current army scheme and quality The kroot are the only units that I've yet to work out a full scheme for. My initial thoughts are brown flesh with black talons and hair and Tan/bone wargear to tie them in with rest of my army, but we'll see.

In the line up we have 2 guard players both looking at starting troop heavy lists and a Tyranid army that has a huge amount of troops and MC's. We'll see who comes out on top in battle and who can and can't keep up with the 500 point an month minimum pledge. We also have a none gamer who is joining in just for the ride who is also painting up guardsman.

I will be keeping this blog updated as I make progress and by the end I should have all my Tau models painted..... I just can't stop planing my next buy! I also need a 2 60mm bases and a ton of gundrones to convert into marker drones..... I've been on rob for them for an age... See I told you I just can't stop it!

samuraioshovah
Shas

Re: The return of the Darklighter [[WIP] update 21/04/14]

Post#57 » Apr 21 2014 11:00

Cheers Darklighter,

On your riptide did you pin all the way through your base? I love the pose. I magnetized mine for easy transport. Good luck with your Challenge!

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#58 » Apr 21 2014 01:24

No it's not pinned just super glued on. I'll maybe regret that at a later date, but for now it's holding fast. I don't feel like I'm riding the tiger by picking it up model first or anything, it seems pretty solid.

And I'll need all the luck I can get, cheers. I've been so scatter brained recently that I'm half way through a ton of stuff. I'm hoping this will help me to regain my focus.

samuraioshovah
Shas

Post#59 » Apr 21 2014 01:35

Man, I would love to have a vacation to the UK with my Army so we can play 2 on 2 Apocalypse.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#60 » Apr 22 2014 09:34

That would be cool!

I've got my Inquisitor model finished at last!

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

I also have my first 500 points photographed for the tale of 4 gamers challenge.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: The return of the Darklighter [[WIP] update 22/04/14]

Post#61 » May 05 2014 05:50

A small update of my progress so far. I have my Tiger shark mostly painted (that was one productive afternoon!) and the rest is primed and the Kroot have had there first base colour applied.

You can just about see my Ethereal conversion. I'll do some close ups when he's painted. I'll get the Tiger shark finished up then I'll have the hard task of deciding the final colours for the Kroot squads. I may end up painting the Broadsides while I think about it ,lol.

samuraioshovah
Shas

Re: The return of the Darklighter [[WIP] update 05/05/14]

Post#62 » May 05 2014 06:07

Your Shark is Sexy Sir I must say!

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#63 » May 17 2014 04:31

Why thank you samuraioshovah, pictures of the finished Shark will be after the kroot in this post.

My first squad of Kroot are finished and ready for duty. They have taken much longer than I'd anticipated as they looked really really bad until the last few finishing touches came and tied them all together making them look finished and not rushed and lazy.

I'm on with squad two and have the base layers on three broadsides. These models will be finished up with in the next week or two.

I've also finished my Tiger Shark AX-1-0

Image Image Image Image Image

I'm over the moon with how nice this looks and I can't wait to field a Tau air support cadre.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#64 » May 28 2014 09:24

It's been a busy month in the hobby cave. I've built and painted over 1000 points of Tau and I still have more to be added.....

Here is my newest Broadside team. I've not put squad/sept markings on them yet but will as soon as I dig out my crib sheet to see what I've already done.

Image Image Image Image

I have magnetised the secondary weapons but didn't bother with the main rifle. I'll eventually make up a second squad of missile-sides, but I have one more rifle squad to do first.

Next up is a new and converted Ethereal. I've some how ended up with three of the same model this is number two and the third is in the works.

Image Image Image

I've also painted up a second Kroot squad but I didn't take any shots of them on there own. I did however take a few group shots of everything I've painted this month.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

I can't wait to have my first game of 7th with these guys.

Null
Fio

Re: The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 28/05/14]

Post#65 » May 28 2014 04:08

Hey Shas'O Darklighter!

Looks awesome! I love the feel of your photos; I'm not sure if its intentional or not but its very cool.

I just went over your entire project log and I must say its consistently top notch. You have one of the best weathered Cadre's I've seen, it is very realistic, but not over the top.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the bit you used for the top of the Ethereal's honor blade? I like it :biggrin:.

- null

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#66 » May 28 2014 06:18

Hi Null and thanks. I'm aware I have a "style" with my photography, but it's just me trying to make the best of what I have. I've never had any grand plan with it it just kind of happened. A happy accident I guess.

The top of the Ethereal's staff is part number 60 off the broadside kit. I just drilled it out and mounted it on some plastic rod..... I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the third one of these bad boys yet or how I'm going to paint him within my armies limited palate.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#67 » Jun 02 2014 05:21

This month to do list is a Riptide and two full squads of Pathfinders one with Ion rifles the other with rail rifles. I doubt I'll ever run the drones but I'm going to paint them up with there squads anyway.

I have a busy start to the month with training of an upcoming cycling event. So I'll get them finished before the end of June, but I'm not sure if I'll get an update until the back end of it.

If I get the time I've also got one more Kroot squad and a 12 model marker drone squad ready for paint.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 02/06/14]

Post#68 » Jun 28 2014 01:56

This months 500 point contingent has been finished. Well I say 500 points it's a little over with drones and wargear added in.

First up is my second Riptide on huge hero rock.

The paint on this came together really quickly I think I spent longer waiting for washes to dry than actually painting!

I next have a group shot of all of this months finished models. I'm yet to take photographs of the pathfinder squads individually though.

With training and doing the London to Brighton bike ride this month I didn't get chance to do the third Kroot squad or the marker drones. Next month might just see my third Riptide (shooting pose in my Farsight black scheme) and another three Railsides. That's 500 points right? I'm half way through this challenge and the only one to meet the deadlines so far, lol.

Null
Fio

Re: The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 28/06/14]

Post#69 » Jun 28 2014 09:44

Hey Darklighter

Shas'O Darklighter wrote: the London to Brighton's bike ride
What?! Oh .... United Kingdom London to Brighton *facepalm* I was envisioning Ontario's (Canada) London to Brighton which is approx 210 miles :-? . Anyway hope you have a good time! Be safe.

On to the model. Super sweet man! The pose is perfect IMHO; the way he's holding up the shield with the Tau sept symbol on it is kinda like he's saying: "You see this symbol? Ya, you know what's comin' sucka! For the greater good!"

Looking forward to the other Riptide!

- null

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 28/06/14]

Post#70 » Jul 12 2014 07:43

Cheers Null the ride went awesomely I even defeated the Green Monster a 1 mile step winding climb that happens 48 miles into the ride. I am really happy with the way the pose went on that Riptide. I know need to hope I can make the next look just as good.

I may have bitten of more than I can chew this month for the tale of four gamers challenge.

I not only have to paint the above but I've also entered a 2 month summer painting event and I've decided to paint 5 of the Farsight 8 (I've already painted Farisight) I may add the other two Crisis suits to them if I can get the funds together in time to make the entry deadline. I think I'll still magnetise the weapons for future proofing.

The slight bit of good news is that the Riptide will feature in both challenges. The Bad news is I have to do another 500 points next month for the tale of 4 gamers.... Though that is the final month of the challenge. GULP! I'm also just about to buy my 4th Riptide second hand off a friend with another ethereal, sniper team and some metal pathfinders.

To say I'm overwhelmed is an understatement. :fear:

Deepstrike
Shas

Re: The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 12/07/14]

Post#71 » Jul 12 2014 03:34

Don't come over to my house!!! The mountain of unopened boxes, me alone unfinished models will put you in the looney bin!!! :-)

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: The return of the Darklighter [WIP update 12/07/14]

Post#72 » Jul 22 2014 04:09

I know that feeling my Blood Angels are feeling very neglected. I still have two Storm ravens to paint not mention most of a battle company....

I have finished up another 500 points of my army and my first member of Farsights commander team.

It looks like I'm the last man standing in my tale of four gamers challenge. So with one more month to go I as a matter of personal pride will continue my pledge.

I've just picked up Riptide number 4 so he will feature in my next 500 points. What else to add has my head spinning as I have a tone of drones that need paint as well as stealth suits and fire warriors. I may paint up one more Sniper squad and my last squad of Kroot. I'll have a proper look at what I've got painted and what the army is lacking before I make up my mind completely.

Return to “Project Logs”