Vash's Farsight log, update army shots july 17

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Goobermunch
Shas

Re: Vash's Sa'cea log, update Tetra 8/10

Post#199 » May 13 2014 09:43

Your skills are amazing, and I really wish I could paint half as well as you.

How do you get that dark mottled blue black on the armor? I've been doing washes of Drakenhof Noghtshade, and/or Nuln oil, but I cannot get the dark, mottled colors you get. Are you doing multiple coats of wash?

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#200 » May 23 2014 05:34

Goobermunch wrote:Your skills are amazing, and I really wish I could paint half as well as you.

How do you get that dark mottled blue black on the armor? I've been doing washes of Drakenhof Noghtshade, and/or Nuln oil, but I cannot get the dark, mottled colors you get. Are you doing multiple coats of wash?

Hello there.
Sorry for not replaying in time. I am not as active at the moment as my studies are taking up a huge amount of time.

The armour is painted as follows:

1. Light Grey base coat
2. Darkenhof Nightshade
3. Nuln oil
4. Highlight with Fenrisian grey

Make sure that you use a good amount of wash. Don't drown it, nor don't put to little...
With the "right" amount there will be some excess wash. This wash will create a dirty look.

Goobermunch
Shas

Post#201 » May 23 2014 08:20

Thanks for the response. I had read your earlier guide, but I hadn't realized you were stacking the Drakenhof Nightshade on top of the Nuln Oil. It makes a lot more sense now that I understand.

Don't worry about the time. Your response was timely for me (I've been painting Kroot for what feels like a month). I'll keep my Fire Warriors in line with the way my first squad went, but I have a half-dozen stealth suits that I think will look great with the layered effect. Thank you for sharing your technique.

--G

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#202 » Jul 01 2014 02:52

Well it's been a very long time since I touched a brush, but now I am set on trying to finish my 2000 pts Farsight enclave army.
Though I already have 3 broadsides completed, I decided to convert three new ones after seeing some excellent conversions here on ATT. So... I "had to" buy four new ones and build three normal guys and a Ob'lotai stand in model.

All of them are assembled and sprayed. But Ob'lotai is the one that I have gotten the furthest with. Not that it is that much, only two layers of washes...
Anyhow, here is a small progress update.

The normal broadsides have a slightly shorter weapon, and a different helmet.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Vash's Sa'cea log, update Ob'lotai july 7

Post#203 » Jul 02 2014 05:42

And now he is completed. Was expecting to get him done faster, but my daughter got sick so prioritise had to change of course.
I have used a new technique for the overall painting now, and I am rather satisfied with it, compared to the other broadsides.
Now I use three different sprays, black undercoat, then followed by grey from a 45 deg angle so it won't cover all areas, and then finally with white from straight above.
The highlights are also toned down.

Imcrazy
Shas

Re: Vash's Farsight log, update Ob'lotai july 3

Post#204 » Jul 03 2014 01:40

Hey Vash

First of all thanks for the reply, I wish it was more progress than that, feeling lazy so many times.
Hopefully it will be more soon tough.

Anyways the reason I wrote here instead of my own post, is dang that riptide and broadside. (really liking the aimdot? on the broadside)

Overall your paintscheme is superclean (in a good way), and the way you have gotten that metallic shiny feeling to it, guess you are using a airbrush?

also, would love to see some more of that/those ruins if you still have them? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Tau%20Empire/Terrainshot.jpg

Thanks and likewise to you, almost getting pumped to paint all them ruins xD
KISS - keep it simple stupid

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#205 » Jul 03 2014 01:55

Imcrazy wrote:Hey Vash

First of all thanks for the reply, I wish it was more progress than that, feeling lazy so many times.
Hopefully it will be more soon tough.

Anyways the reason I wrote here instead of my own post, is dang that riptide and broadside. (really liking the aimdot? on the broadside)

Overall your paintscheme is superclean (in a good way), and the way you have gotten that metallic shiny feeling to it, guess you are using a airbrush?

also, would love to see some more of that/those ruins if you still have them? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Tau%20Empire/Terrainshot.jpg

Thanks and likewise to you, almost getting pumped to paint all them ruins xD

Well you and me both on the lazy part. :D But at least we are progressing.
Thanks for the "dang" on my riptide and broadside ;) Not really understanding what part your referring to, aim dot. The "two lights" above his helmet?
I don't own an airbrush :( I wish I did. But I do use a lot of different sprays on my latest broadsides.
But in general I mostly use washes to get the results I want. Of course a clean and smooth undercoat is needed for this to work.

For the ruins part... well I am not really satisfied with them. Mainly due to the fact I made 16 pieces at once and that basically overloaded me so I never really completed them. I do have some pictures of them in my photo bucket:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/VashDim ... t=3&page=1

Today all of them are sprayed, but not all of them are finished. I am going to finish them once I get a buyer for them. My plan is to build a new table (inspired by yours) by using Forge worlds cityscape modules.
My ruins were a part of a skirmish game I created for a small gaming group. In the pictures in photo bucket you can see all the 16 pieces all together, making a 4' x 4' table. Game was fun according to the participants, but we quit due to lack of time from my side.

Imcrazy
Shas

Post#206 » Jul 03 2014 03:15

Vash: was thinking of the crosshair on the weapon almost looks like this

Yes, doing 16 pieces at the same time, that would probably overload any one man.
There is really a lot of details in em tough, and that moss on em looks awesome

Hope you get em sold quickly then so you can move on to new stuff.

I would have done the same with the ones from GW if not only for the problem that they are quite expensive.
But if one has the money and not the time, they are a great.
KISS - keep it simple stupid

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#207 » Jul 03 2014 03:24

Imcrazy wrote:Vash: was thinking of the crosshair on the weapon almost looks like this

Yes, doing 16 pieces at the same time, that would probably overload any one man.
There is really a lot of details in em tough, and that moss on em looks awesome

Hope you get em sold quickly then so you can move on to new stuff.

I would have done the same with the ones from GW if not only for the problem that they are quite expensive.
But if one has the money and not the time, they are a great.

Not really going to well on the selling department :D But hey I am not really putting them out there either.
I'll finish them of soon though. As its only 20 minutes per building to finish them, so it should be quick. There is only around 8 pieces to go.

The reason why I am selling them is because they don't really suit WH40k gaming. I put to much rubble for it to be used for larger units. Perfect for skirmish, but not army battles. Now when I come to think of it... the local game store are hosting skirmish games atm, Kill Team campaign. Should try to paint the ruins and sell them now...

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#208 » Jul 05 2014 08:50

Ob'Lotais brothers in arm. Missilesides.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Vash's Farsight log, update Missilesides july 5

Post#209 » Jul 10 2014 07:39

Well next up, something different from the suits for a change. Sniper drone team or teams.

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#210 » Jul 10 2014 07:54

Your bases are top notch my friend.
I apologize if it's already been asked, but how have you been getting the "dry/cracked earth" effect? It looks fantastic; gives the bases that extra layer of detail that sets it apart from a regular basing job.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#211 » Jul 10 2014 08:01

Hey there.
First of all, thanks.

And for the cracked earth effect, its GWs own Agrellan Earth from their technical paint range.
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Cit ... id=7250399

There is no real extra work doing this :) its all automatic.

Here is a link from youtube where GW have a tutorial on how to use it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFvzLX8CzrA

Kassill
Shas

Post#212 » Jul 11 2014 09:56

Vash wrote:Hey there.
First of all, thanks.

And for the cracked earth effect, its GWs own Agrellan Earth from their technical paint range.

Woah, that's crazy awesome! Thanks or that!

Also, really fantastic log you have here. Been checking it out a few pages at a time whenever I have a free moment.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#213 » Jul 11 2014 11:26

Kassill wrote:
Vash wrote:Hey there.
First of all, thanks.

Woah, that's crazy awesome! Thanks or that!

Also, really fantastic log you have here. Been checking it out a few pages at a time whenever I have a free moment.

Yah, that Agrellan Earth is really great. So much has happened over the years I have been painting miniatures. I started out with all this around 20 years ago (2nd edition of the rules).
Back then painting techniques were a huge secret among the good painters. Also paints were not really good and all the nice special/technical paints we have today you had to "invent" your self.
Today we have most of it served to us. Spray cans in multiple colours, excellent washes/inks, dry brush paints and technical paints such as Agrellan Earth. Not having a fully painted force after a year to a basic level I see little excuse for. With todays paints one can complete an army in one or two weeks (including work/studies).

Thanks for the comment too. I'll be done soon with my 2000 pts Farsight army. When that is done, I'll be posting in a new topic, if I am allowed... as a "showcase" topic. Should be done by next week.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Vash's Farsight log, update Sniper drone team july 10

Post#214 » Jul 17 2014 02:13

Had a game today, and my army is almost complete. I have some minor high lights to finish off, and once I am done with that, some better photos will be taken of the whole army. Until the, these have to do.

samuraioshovah
Shas

Re: Vash's Farsight log, update army shots july 17

Post#215 » Aug 02 2014 09:03

I love the work and attention to detail!
Mobile Armor Division...71-12-11 2014 Season 14-4-3

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Vash's Farsight log, update army shots july 17

Post#216 » Aug 12 2014 02:07

Thank you very much. Lots of time has gone into these guys. And truth to be told they are not 100% done yet... but I had to get them to a playable standard.
From now on its easier to paint things. Its not a whole army staring at me anymore :D

Return to “Project Logs”