[Project Log] Shas'o Dre's Farsight Enclaves Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: New Codex=New Success

Post#11 » Sep 24 2013 06:13

It's been a good couple of days for me and Warhammer 40k. I have been building and converting like a man on a mission, been able to play 3 games over the weekend, and even post up some pics update to this post.

I have been trying out a new list at 1850 that includes more troops than I've ever run, and the high yield missilepod broadsides, along with a full stealth team. In the 3 games I played I had 2 wins and a draw. The wins were against Space Marines with Imperial Fist chapter trait, and an ork horde of doom. The draw came against necrons.

The missilesides made a huge impact in the 2 wins. With 6 missile drones and a target lock on one suit, this unit dished out so much fire power it was scary. The next unit to impress me was my new kroot unit. I took 2 squads of 10 kroot with sniper rounds, one kroot hound and one krootox. In all the games they were able to outflank where I needed them, and actually draw enemy fire away from the rest of my army. In the games with the necrons they got me the draw by getting me linebreaker.

The unit I was least impressed with was my Fire Warriors and Ethereal in devilfish. In all three games they did nothing. Not totally their fault as I kept them in reserve and they tended to come in on turn 4 in the games against the marines and necrons, and turn 3 against the orcs. In that game I sped them up the table pushing to his board and moving flat out each turn, but even with the 3 up jink save I failed and it got destroyed and the squad got shot up by lootas. I think for the next games I will try starting them on the table to see if I can get some output from them.

Things I want to try out next: Vespid and Pathfinders in warfish! Here are some pictures of my WIP on these units.

Now that vespid have a 4+ save I wanted to show that on the model. I used Fire warrior shoulder pads and the strain leader helmet and wings on all members to bulk them up. I also added knives and accessories to the models, but need to take a picture from the back.

I wanted a devilfish unique to the pathfinders so I came up with idea of having all the drones on the fish instead of in it with the pathfinders. Of course this would take up the drone slots so I choose to place the smart missile system elsewhere on the tank. Since the recon drone take the turret slot I opted for the standard nose burst cannon, but gave it the burst cannon from the remora model and added a sensor unit.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Sep 24 2013 07:02

Liking your colour scheme on these!

One thing though. Why pay for improved weapons, (SMS,) when you say you were simply moving Flat Out everywhere to get to where you needed to be?

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Sep 24 2013 08:27

CoffeeGrunt wrote: One thing though. Why pay for improved weapons, (SMS,) when you say you were simply moving Flat Out everywhere to get to where you needed to be?

The devilfish I used in the games was bare bones with only a disruption pod, the 'fish with the SMS is for the pathfinders, and I haven't played with it yet. It has the SMS because I've put the special drones where the gun drones would be. And I think the pathfinders would need some extra cover fire when the outflank! :crafty:

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Sep 25 2013 08:31

Had some time to get some more model priming in and chose to do my krootox and female fire warriors and pathfinders. And since the knarloc riders from forge world come in a pack of three, I have to get to work on a third krootox conversion. I may even have to get another box of kroot warriors to build another squad of ten models for a third unit. :) I really enjoy converting the kroot and kit bashing them with fire warrior bitz. Maybe for the third squad I will use some farsight shoulder pads instead of the standard fire warrior ones.

Here are some pictures of my WIP on my kroot, and my newly primed krootox models.

With the success of the two kroot units in recent games I had to move them up the painting list. Since I am painting a Farsight Enclave Army, I want to keep the kroot armor red, but I am at a loss for what color to paint the kroot themselves. Originally I was thinking of a clan of albino kroot, but I don't think that would look good on the large krootox model I am using. Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.

yankeedave
Shas

Post#15 » Sep 26 2013 03:27

I have mine painted green with clothing and highlights reflecting my cadre's colour scheme. I am a great fan of matching paint schemes and yours is lookig excellent so far.
Time that you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted.

Badger
Shas

Post#16 » Oct 01 2013 05:28

Re: SMS on Devilfish: I was initially torn on this, the upgrade cost is relatively low and the SMS is such a lovely pievc of kit that I was leaning towards taking it. After playing a few games however I realised that I just wasn't shooting it enough to make it worthwhile. My Devilfish are usually moving flat out to maximise the Disruption Pod cover save and when they aren't they're dropping off Fire Warriors to gun something down. At which point the two gun drones seem to be much more useful as they can dismount in front of the vehicle to block and be generally irritating!

I really like the Kroot gun conversions you've put together there, is that 3 rifles strapped together I see?

My Tau are painting green/ brown as I wanted the Kroot to stand out a little so I want for an orange/ brown scheme to contrast. It definitely makes them look quite distinctive (and alien!) on the tabletop!

My Kroot colour scheme pre highlights (apologies for the less than brilliant photo)

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Oct 01 2013 06:41

Badger wrote:
I really like the Kroot gun conversions you've put together there, is that 3 rifles strapped together I see?

Good eye Badger, three regular kroot rifles with various ammo box bitz added.

Your kroot model is painted really well, wish I had that kind of skill. Since my armor color is red I think I will use a muddy green for their skin.

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#18 » Oct 01 2013 10:35

I want to reiterate how amazing this WIP thread is. It's very inspirational! I also wanted to say that I've promoted this thread to the Project Logs subforum, where it rightly deserves to belong.

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#19 » Oct 02 2013 05:53

Thanks for the compliments Lyi'ot, and moving this to the project logs section. Hope it's okay if I still post game results and commentary after trying out my newly built units.

Right now I am in a building and playing mode. I haven't fully paited anything, just basecoating and airbrusing first layers. The result is some very cool conversions that I am proud of.

Hopefully I will get into the mood to paint some of these soon, but for now i will continue to post up my WIP.

Here is my female Cadre Fireblade. I really like the fieblade armour but not the pose, so I chnaged it up a bit and added Shadowsun's head. I already have a fireblade with pulse rifle, so thought I would change it up with a carbine.

Continuing my work on female tau warrior models led me to make a really simple counts as Darkstrider model. When I was first building the finecast Darkstrider model I noticed that he was a little too small next to the new plastic Pathfinders, so I decided to try and recreate his pose with plastic Pathfinder parts and his resin head. That left me with his finecast body and gun and base. A simple head swap with the kadesh head from Zealot miniatures, and a few bitz and now I have 2 Darkstriders.

I just finished priming her, so no picture yet but I will keep them coming. Currently on the workbench, an Aun-shi conversion using the cadre fireblade torso and Aunshi's head, staff and hand; as well as a kroot shaper using an old XV-15 torso. Comments and questions always welcome, will post more as I create!

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#20 » Oct 02 2013 08:19

I'm a big fan of your feminized heads, without sexualizing the model they're attached to. That Kadesh head really worked out on Darkstrider; what bitz did you take the night vision goggles from?

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#21 » Oct 03 2013 07:39

Lyi'ot wrote:I'm a big fan of your feminized heads, without sexualizing the model they're attached to. That Kadesh head really worked out on Darkstrider; what bitz did you take the night vision goggles from?

The goggles are from the space marine scouts with sniper rifle kit. I thought they would make a good counts as structural analyser.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: [Project Log] Andre's Cadre WIP : New Codex=New Success

Post#22 » Oct 03 2013 10:37

Very nice kit bash on the Fireblade, really admire that model.

- Tael.

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#23 » Oct 04 2013 06:02

Tael wrote:Very nice kit bash on the Fireblade, really admire that model.

- Tael.

Thanks Tael, she came together quite nicely and one of the conversions I am most proud of. My fear is ruining the model when I start painting it :::(

But speaking of painting, I had time to finish a test base for my army and it came out quite nice so I think I will continue with it. Here are some pics of the base, the fire warrior isn't finished yet, but you can see how the base complimented model.

I used the GW northern waste basing kit and am quite pleased with the results. All the GW kits are really nice, I would recommend them.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#24 » Oct 05 2013 04:28

That base looks really good. I love when painters focus on the whole model and that means the base included!
I am getting a nice feel of an early frosty spring morning.

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#25 » Oct 08 2013 05:46

Thanks Vash, I think a finished base really adds to the model and can often compensate for an okay paint job ;)

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#26 » Oct 08 2013 05:48

More work done on my Tau Cadre! With the first based fire warrior completed, and looking good I decided to go ahead and finish basing the rest of the squad.
I run my Fire Warriors in squads of ten with leader and one drone for a total of eleven members. This way if I need to add an ethereal or fireblade and hop in a devilfish and go I am good. As you can see this is a carbine team so a gun drone will be added to this squad.

I really like how the bases turned out. The kit from GW was a breeze to use and has enough to do most of my army. The fire warriors aren't fully finished yet, but I was enjoying the basing so I kept with it. Hey progress is progress right!

Speaking of progress I got around to painting a kroot for a test scheme. I think the skin came out okay, but I am not sold on the quill color. I think I might want to try a yellow or ochre, maybe even zamesi desert from the GW line. This was also the first time I tried the armor chip technique. I will have to try it more to get the hang of it. I think it will look good on the kroot since their gear wouldn't be in as good shape as the Fire Warriors.

What do you think? Keep the grey/green skin, change the quill color? Comments and suggestions always welcome.

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#27 » Oct 26 2013 02:07

Been a while since I last updated and I have been doing more playing than building and painting.

Played a really tough game against the Necron airforce and got stomped. Played against the orks led by Ghazghul and friends (almost every other ork special character), Tau superior fire power didn't let me down. And lastly played a Tau with Marine allies to a close win.

I still did get to make a change to my kroot scheme and build up a new kroot shaper model. I was
also able to do a test paint scheme on an XV-8, and even tried do add some paint chipping. Overall
I think they came out pretty good.

I think the Kroot looks better with the yellow hair/quills than the blue pictured in the post above.

The XV-8 came out good too, I just have to add some sept markings and I think it's finished. Most of all it was pretty easy to paint so I can finish the rest of my suits.
With the Farsight Codex in hand I will be painting more suits than ever!

And last but not least my duel wielding kroot shaper.

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#28 » Jan 09 2014 07:46

With the frenzy of the holiday season behind us I finally had time to set up my Hobby Area so I could hunker down and paint and build with all my hobby and model supplies around me. Little did I know how big and how messy the area would get, but it make sense to my muddled mind, and I know where everything is, well almost it's here somewhere and now all in my house!

As you can see there is a lot of models there, but progress is getting made. Just this past weekend I was able to get some work done on 5 crisis suits, a cadre fireblade, a devilfish and my sunshark bomber. While they are not 100% done I am liking how they are coming along, and they are motivating me to paint more. I think haveing the new area and being able to have music or movies or TV in the background while I work also helps out quite a bit.

I really like how the snow bases are coming along. Even added battlefield debris is working for me, and I am enjoying coming up with new ideas for the base. I think i am going to use some Tyranind corpes for my next batch of crisis suit models when I get around to building the Eight!

Return to “Project Logs”