[Project Log] Shas'o Dre's Farsight Enclaves Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: New Codex=New Success

Post#21 » Oct 03 2013 07:39

Lyi'ot wrote:I'm a big fan of your feminized heads, without sexualizing the model they're attached to. That Kadesh head really worked out on Darkstrider; what bitz did you take the night vision goggles from?

The goggles are from the space marine scouts with sniper rifle kit. I thought they would make a good counts as structural analyser.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: [Project Log] Andre's Cadre WIP : New Codex=New Success

Post#22 » Oct 03 2013 10:37

Very nice kit bash on the Fireblade, really admire that model.

- Tael.

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#23 » Oct 04 2013 06:02

Tael wrote:Very nice kit bash on the Fireblade, really admire that model.

- Tael.

Thanks Tael, she came together quite nicely and one of the conversions I am most proud of. My fear is ruining the model when I start painting it :::(

But speaking of painting, I had time to finish a test base for my army and it came out quite nice so I think I will continue with it. Here are some pics of the base, the fire warrior isn't finished yet, but you can see how the base complimented model.

I used the GW northern waste basing kit and am quite pleased with the results. All the GW kits are really nice, I would recommend them.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#24 » Oct 05 2013 04:28

That base looks really good. I love when painters focus on the whole model and that means the base included!
I am getting a nice feel of an early frosty spring morning.

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#25 » Oct 08 2013 05:46

Thanks Vash, I think a finished base really adds to the model and can often compensate for an okay paint job ;)

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#26 » Oct 08 2013 05:48

More work done on my Tau Cadre! With the first based fire warrior completed, and looking good I decided to go ahead and finish basing the rest of the squad.
I run my Fire Warriors in squads of ten with leader and one drone for a total of eleven members. This way if I need to add an ethereal or fireblade and hop in a devilfish and go I am good. As you can see this is a carbine team so a gun drone will be added to this squad.

I really like how the bases turned out. The kit from GW was a breeze to use and has enough to do most of my army. The fire warriors aren't fully finished yet, but I was enjoying the basing so I kept with it. Hey progress is progress right!

Speaking of progress I got around to painting a kroot for a test scheme. I think the skin came out okay, but I am not sold on the quill color. I think I might want to try a yellow or ochre, maybe even zamesi desert from the GW line. This was also the first time I tried the armor chip technique. I will have to try it more to get the hang of it. I think it will look good on the kroot since their gear wouldn't be in as good shape as the Fire Warriors.

What do you think? Keep the grey/green skin, change the quill color? Comments and suggestions always welcome.

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#27 » Oct 26 2013 02:07

Been a while since I last updated and I have been doing more playing than building and painting.

Played a really tough game against the Necron airforce and got stomped. Played against the orks led by Ghazghul and friends (almost every other ork special character), Tau superior fire power didn't let me down. And lastly played a Tau with Marine allies to a close win.

I still did get to make a change to my kroot scheme and build up a new kroot shaper model. I was
also able to do a test paint scheme on an XV-8, and even tried do add some paint chipping. Overall
I think they came out pretty good.

I think the Kroot looks better with the yellow hair/quills than the blue pictured in the post above.

The XV-8 came out good too, I just have to add some sept markings and I think it's finished. Most of all it was pretty easy to paint so I can finish the rest of my suits.
With the Farsight Codex in hand I will be painting more suits than ever!

And last but not least my duel wielding kroot shaper.

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#28 » Jan 09 2014 07:46

With the frenzy of the holiday season behind us I finally had time to set up my Hobby Area so I could hunker down and paint and build with all my hobby and model supplies around me. Little did I know how big and how messy the area would get, but it make sense to my muddled mind, and I know where everything is, well almost it's here somewhere and now all in my house!

As you can see there is a lot of models there, but progress is getting made. Just this past weekend I was able to get some work done on 5 crisis suits, a cadre fireblade, a devilfish and my sunshark bomber. While they are not 100% done I am liking how they are coming along, and they are motivating me to paint more. I think haveing the new area and being able to have music or movies or TV in the background while I work also helps out quite a bit.

I really like how the snow bases are coming along. Even added battlefield debris is working for me, and I am enjoying coming up with new ideas for the base. I think i am going to use some Tyranind corpes for my next batch of crisis suit models when I get around to building the Eight!

Kobal
Shas

Post#29 » Jan 10 2014 08:29

Yay, you posted some more pictures! I am a bit of a lurker on this thread.

You have a wonderful and striking army, I love the colour scheme. The dynamic poses of the XV8 team are very good, and manage to look natural. I believe that that is very difficult to achieve sometimes with a more extreme kind of action pose, especially with kits with limited posing options like those!

You actually make the Razor/Sunshark look good too, which is impressive!

I spotted your kroot-with-goggles further up the thread, and the finished kroot on this page. I like him a lot!

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#30 » Jan 10 2014 08:16

Hey Kobal thanks for the kind words, and for following my log.

The kroot have really become some of my favorite models to convert, and I find them really useful in game. The sunshark bomber is really good in game too, and while the model is not the best Tau model out there, I think it looks pretty good when painted. I have the fighter to build, but want to get through painting more of the models waiting on my work table.

Next up for me is a Riptide. Hopefully you'll like the action poses.

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#31 » Jan 11 2014 07:03

Another successful day of painting today. This time made some nice progress on my Riptide and 2 shielded missile drones.

You'll notice the drones are larger than the ones that come in the box, since they are toughness 6 I wanted them to be bigger so I used the forgeworld heavy gundrones and added missile pods.

For the Riptide I wanted to model something unique to represent the velocity tracker, so I decided to use the wings from a remora kit. I like the idea of the Riptide being airborne when using skyfire to bring down flyers.

I can't wait to finish this model, but don't want to rush it.

Thanks for checking out the log, comments and questions always appreciated.

Xauk
Shas

Post#32 » Jan 12 2014 05:43

Really like the modelling done here Shas'o Dre. The custom fireblade turned out perfect. Like the pose and the seriousness she channels. well done. Also the darksiders look superb. The theme you have chosen is also interesting!

Kobal
Shas

Post#33 » Jan 13 2014 10:15

I am looking forward to seeing how the Riptide turns out, with it's unique velocity tracker and the beefed up leg armour. :) Looking very good so far!

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#34 » Jan 13 2014 10:44

Xauk wrote:Really like the modelling done here Shas'o Dre. The custom fireblade turned out perfect. Like the pose and the seriousness she channels. well done. Also the darksiders look superb. The theme you have chosen is also interesting!

Thanks Xaulk she is one of my favorite conversions. It might be hard to tell but I used the new pulse carbine from the Broadside kit, it is a little larger with sharper angles than the pathfinder or fire warrior versions and it fit perfect with the chopped pulse rifle.

The theme was chosen from the Farsight colors, but I wanted to play with different shades of red. Most of the "vet" units will be the dark red, while some of the new "recruits" will be a brighter red like the crisis team with missile pods and plasma pictured above. Since they haven't been in as many battles I wanted a newer look to their gear.

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#35 » Jan 20 2014 09:22

Not a lot of progress this week in the painting department for me, but did start to write a narrative campaign that i will be running in my store. It took some research and imagination and I hope the players will get into it and appreciate the effort.

As for the painting, added some details to the riptide and I started a vespid test model and finished most of it. I really liked hawk turquoise that I had used originally for the kroot quills, so I decided to try it on the vespid and it came out great. I ended up using Hawk turquoise and temple guard blue. I never realised how small the vespid eyes on the helmets are, don't know how I am going to paint those with anything put a dot of colour.

I am hopping to get the squad of vespid and kroot done for the start of the campaign in February. I figure if I use some units that are considered not so great I can lead by example and other players will follow, so we can have a fun and not so serious/competitive event.

Dev'O
Shas

Post#36 » Jan 21 2014 01:19

Man I do have to say. I LOVE the look of that devilfish conversion for the pathfinders. The back mounting of the SMS, looks very militaristic and fits a unique vehicle like a recon forces APC.

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#37 » Feb 25 2014 11:34

Been far too long since my last post, and have made some progress on the army as a whole, but not in the direction I had planned. So I am still taking my time on the Riptide, I built a base for it and while it turned out okay, it wasn't what I wanted for the flying effect so I used it for my second Riptide instead. My plan on finishing the vespid didn't get past the starting steps where I was able to get 3 colours on them and get them ready for the campaign currently happening at my store.

The campaign has really taken up a lot of my time in a good way. I have been writing the narrative organising games and trying to recruit more and more players to it. Right now we just started the third week and it is going well. If you want to check it out here is a link to the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/hw40k

The campaign has made me change focus and I have been building more reinforcements for my Farsight Enclaves to try new unit combinations. I dug up some of my old crisis suits from when I first started, and repaired them and but some parts to create a dual plasma team. Finally got around to building my Farsight Ethereal, I had been using a cadre fireblade in a devilfish with carbine firewarriors but I think the ethereal will work better. And last but not least I started building another broadside so I could run 2 teams of two with missile drones. On the painting side not much done, but did get to basecoat and airbrush some broadsides and farsight.

notice the classic farsight arm with the sword removed, in red in the picture above.

I really like the small custom drones. I had the idea for using smaller drones since he would be mounted in a devilfish with 10 firewarriors that a smaller gun drone would fit better. One counts as gun drone and one counts as shield drone. Really easy to make too.

New broadside with the head from Paulson Games.

So that's what I have been up to. Feel free to comment or ask questions, always appreciated and always welcome.

E'nigma
Shas

Post#38 » Feb 25 2014 05:31

Shas'o Dre wrote:Image

I am loving this conversion. Completely changes the static feel of the new Broadsides into a more dynamic state. I might have to make my own based on your designs.

Return to “Project Logs”