Khakis "Sa'Cea 5th Army" Blog [photos added 26 Jul 14]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Draezymous
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Khakis "Sa'Cea 5th Army" Blog [photo added 14 Aug 13]

Post#37 » Jul 21 2014 06:45

Good to see you back, and congrats with the newborn!

The conversion looks stunning, I really like the barrels pointing out! Im not too fond of the ''ammo clips'' on the side; they just look a tad off compared to the ''blocky'' nature of our battlesuit design to me. Nonetheless great work, and I can't wait to see it painted up!

khakisuperbunny
Shas

Post#38 » Jul 22 2014 02:46

Laufer wrote:Great news indeed!

I'm glad to see my ...Sept-mate back online! ;) Congratulations with second child! More shas'la for our Sept!

What a nice XV8 conversion! Where did you get those guns?
How are you going to decorate base?
Can't wait to continue our converting competition!

For the glory of Sa'cea and Tau'va! :crafty:

Hi Laufer!

The guns are actually Autocannons from a couple of imperial guard sentinels I had laying around and after seeing a conversion done with them previously I knew I had to try it as a counts as burst cannon.

The Base will be decorated as usual with dark sand and long grass...where the human skull came from I have no idea - one of the curses of a full bitz box!

Bring on the competition :P

Draezymous wrote:Good to see you back, and congrats with the newborn!

The conversion looks stunning, I really like the barrels pointing out! Im not too fond of the ''ammo clips'' on the side; they just look a tad off compared to the ''blocky'' nature of our battlesuit design to me. Nonetheless great work, and I can't wait to see it painted up!

Hi Draezymous! Thank you for the kind words!

I must admit the ammo drums are something I wasn't sure of whetre to actually put them, so just put them in a place which felt natural...seeing it now though (and thanks to you confirming ;) ) I'm toying with the idea of mounting them on his backpack with ammo feeds leading to the cannons - thoughts? - I'd need to get a few extra parts so I'll update with pictures when bits arrive in the post! :D

Khaki out
"Danger Close" doesn't apply to Tau...

Goobermunch
Shas

Post#39 » Jul 22 2014 01:28

khakisuperbunny wrote:
I must admit the ammo drums are something I wasn't sure of whetre to actually put them, so just put them in a place which felt natural...seeing it now though (and thanks to you confirming ;) ) I'm toying with the idea of mounting them on his backpack with ammo feeds leading to the cannons - thoughts? - I'd need to get a few extra parts so I'll update with pictures when bits arrive in the post! :D

Khaki out

What about cutting a rectangle out of the ammo drum and mounting it around the gun? IOW, bring the ammo drum and the gun together so it looks like they are integrated more fully. The only hiccup I see with that is that the first place I thought of putting the ammo drums was where your targeting systems are on the arms. The other logical place would be underneath the guns (like in the picture at this link: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/ea-revolver- ... 86sg7GZiPs).

If you put them there (on the bottom), you could even mount a second set (as reloads) on either side of the jet pack. That would give the appearance of a weapon with such a high cyclic rate of fire that it has to carry extra ammo into the battlefield, which is consistent with the burst cannon feel.

--G

khakisuperbunny
Shas

Re: Khakis "Sa'Cea 5th Army" Blog [photo added 22 Jul 14]

Post#40 » Jul 22 2014 04:46

Goobermunch wrote:What about cutting a rectangle out of the ammo drum and mounting it around the gun? IOW, bring the ammo drum and the gun together so it looks like they are integrated more fully. The only hiccup I see with that is that the first place I thought of putting the ammo drums was where your targeting systems are on the arms. The other logical place would be underneath the guns (like in the picture at this link: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/ea-revolver- ... 86sg7GZiPs).

If you put them there (on the bottom), you could even mount a second set (as reloads) on either side of the jet pack. That would give the appearance of a weapon with such a high cyclic rate of fire that it has to carry extra ammo into the battlefield, which is consistent with the burst cannon feel.

--G

Got it Goobermunch, I like the idea of the grenade launcher set up with the drums underslung beneath the cannons...I'm going to toy with it as soon as :D

Tonight I've been building my third battlesuit...and I must admit...I kinda like him:

I've tried to go with a compact 'commando' design...What do you guys think?

Khaki out

khakisuperbunny
Shas

Re: Khakis "Sa'Cea 5th Army" Blog [photos added 22 Jul 14]

Post#41 » Jul 25 2014 06:28

Evenin' (or should that be mornin'?)

Quick updates tonight...after toying around with the ammo hopper in various different locations I found what you can see below to work the best - it also allowed me to toy with my new set of ammo feeds which I think sets the model apart and really bulks him out...

Next up is my helmeted Commander Longstrike in his Hammerhead - the primary weapon can also be changed as the turret has been magnetised, unfortunately I haven't got around to painting the ion cannon yet.

Longstrike can also be removed and the hatch closed depending on which list is being played...

Last, but not certainly not least is my objective marker "Grave of the unknown Fire Warrior"

'Till next time my friends...

Khaki out

Xauk
Shas

Re: Khakis "Sa'Cea 5th Army" Blog [photos added 26 Jul 14]

Post#42 » Jul 25 2014 07:17

khaki, the battlesuit looks real nice. I appreciate the ammo belt and the pose you have given him.
Also I like the ammo unit on the back there - would like to see a better picture of that.
Have you done some more modeling?
-Xauk.

wartang
Shas

Post#43 » Jul 25 2014 07:40

I like the Hammer head It kinda looks like it went through an atmospheric entry.
W/D/L/JPDC
6/2/3/2

Laufer
Shas

Post#44 » Jul 26 2014 02:12

Monin' Khaki!
1) Cartridge belt look really cool, but where is ammo held? In those small cylinders? :-?
2) I like your Longstrike's helmet conversion. It has eldar-way look. BTW, those stripes on helmet are freehand or made of some stickers?
3) And a grave... man, this made me sad :-( . Lets just remove our helmets and have a minute of silence in the name of unknown hero of Greater Good. (I'd place there helmet too... and some grass near grave stone. Unless its a fresh grave.)

Null
Fio

Post#45 » Jul 26 2014 04:47

Holy WOW!!

That devilfish looks beat up, and I mean that in a good way! What was your technique; just drybrushing?

nice stuff khakisuperbunny

- null

Goobermunch
Shas

Post#46 » Jul 28 2014 08:38

That suit looks sweet. I like the new ammo canister placement.

I'll also second Null's query-- what's your weathering technique?

Paintee
Shas

Post#47 » Jul 28 2014 11:00

KhakiSuperBunny, I love this project! It is truly amazing! :D :biggrin: yet it was wondering something; what company did you get that long grass from? And any tips on using it?
What is this "Me-lee" you speak of?

khakisuperbunny
Shas

Post#48 » Jul 28 2014 04:41

Hi all!

Thank you guys so much for all the positive feedback! It honestly means a lot! I'll try to address some of your queries, but I'm afraid I'm currently away from my models at the moment on a business trip, so photos, company names etc. will have to wait for a few days until I'm home ;)

My technique for weathering is extremely simple and easy to replicate if you're interested!first off is to finish your model until it is "fresh out of the factory" minus anything you don't want weathered (lenses, buttons).

Next I get a 1:1 mix of black ink and brown wash and do an all over drybrush. With stippling areas around exhaust ports etc. With that same mix I use a detailed brush to add little extra areas of chipping and steaks to add some diversity.

Lastly just add chips to any transfers using the colour beneath as much or as little as you see fit.

And that's basically it...so simple even a guy like me can do it. :)

Long grass is tricky and I'm yet to "master" the best way of doing it. Currently I'm just cutting the grass to the length I want, dunk the end in PVA glue and hold...for what feels like a century until it drys enough to stick. One thing I find useful which I could add is I hold the model upside down while I'm doing this, let good ol' gravity help point the grass the way I want.

Laufer - the ammo canisters do seem small for the belts, but anything more and I struggle to fit them in the model! :P and thank you for the compliment on the helmet, it's all free hand - I wanted a helmeted version to fit in with the aesthetics of my army, but hand to make it "modern/experimental" like the rest of Longstrikes armour.

That's all for tonight folks, I'll get back to you all again as soon as possible with more answers and photos - but now I have to run - literally...

Khaki out!

Irontau
Shas

Post#49 » Jul 30 2014 11:36

Hi, Khaki!

Indeed a very nice army, you are showing here!
I like the autocannons on the Crisis!
Where do you get the ammobelts?

Keep on doing the great job! :)

Return to “Project Logs”