Arrow's Fio Log: Building the Arrow Pattern XV8

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Re: Arrow's Fio Log: Ooooooh, Barracuda!

Post#127 » Sep 15 2016 11:56

I have been working on the chest some more, but I'm not ready to share yet. I have a whole new design I want to do.
I have taken a break from the suit though in order to pursue a more exciting prospect:
The parts came in for my Barracuda conversion!

There are a few things I'm not extremely happy with, mainly just part of the chosen printing process.
It's cost effective but suffers in detail.
ImageImage
There is some aggressive stepping on the tail fin, and the missiles blend into their pods on the bottom. Things which I can work with, but they definitely lack the definition of the cast pieces.

I also did not do much detail on the underside, it's mostly flat. With some greenstuff it could be scribed into panel lines but I really didn't care enough. This is not a model which will be seen from beneath often, and it's made from scraps and broken pieces.

Here are a couple shots next to my WIP AX-5-2. I did my best to maintain the dimensions of the original Barracuda. They're close for sure, but I don't have one with which I can compare my model. I had to go off of a picture posted here on ATT with an original Barracuda sitting on top of a new one and infer its width, length, etc.

I need to clean it up a bit with some gap filling, sand it a bit, and acquire the Ion Cannon and Burst Cannon pods from a Hammerhead. I've been having a difficult time finding them online, so if anyone has a set they'd be willing to sell please send me a PM.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#128 » Sep 18 2016 11:49

This weekend saw good progress on the 'Cudas.
I painted some of the battle damage on my AX-5-2, though I do want to go back and clean it up some. The bulk of my time, however, was spent getting the hybrid Barracuda up and running. I still have serious work to do on the AX-5-2, but I want to test a couple things on this one first and translate them over if they work well.
Liquid green stuff is your friend with these prints. I painted it on in a few very watery coats, then sanded with 150 grit sandpaper before repeating the process and moving to a finer paper, eventually ending at 600 grit and a smooth wing profile. I also used some green stuff to blend the missile pods into the fuselage better, which I feel more closely resembles the original Barracuda's integrated missile pods. I now wish I had brought those pods all the way across the wing up to the fuselage, but it's not a big issue.
To give a sense of scale I photographed it next to my AX-5-2. Both Barracudas are now sporting sister paint jobs with the camo stripes. It's a laughably ineffective camo given the glow effect in the engines and the bright stripes on the center of the fuselage, but I'm far more interested in the "cool factor" of the model rather than its tactical accuracy.
I should also invest in a photo booth.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#129 » Sep 19 2016 04:22

Chuckle at the photo booth remark.

Either way; they really are some wonderfully designed models, the swept lines and leading edges. Really good to see the comparison.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#130 » Sep 28 2016 11:08

Thank you Tael, your kind words mean much.
I have not been able to progress further with the Arrow Pattern model, and with the contest drawing to a close, if I am unable to get a good model done by the end of the week I am going to simply submit what I have for printing, probably with my bulkier chestplate. Time has not been as kind to me as I would like.
I have, however, been able to sink a little bit of time into the Barracudas in preparation for Armies on Parade.
They have the same scorched and weathered look as the rest of my vehicles. If nothing else, I think it makes them look like very fast craft, or ones with an unusual angle of atmospheric entry. :P

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#131 » Sep 29 2016 11:13

It's a bit of a last day update. I'm looking for some last minute comments and suggestions before I lock in my order for the Arrow Pattern suit. Here are my latest images showcasing my most recent torso. It's still WIP, but close to done, I think.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#132 » Sep 30 2016 07:03

Love it. I don't think I have anything left to say anymore unless you want to design special kneepad and shoulder armor but that's only minor stuff. :D

Mal'Caor
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#133 » Sep 30 2016 03:24

That is a crisis suit I would be proud to own (pity I'm not entering the competition... :D )

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#134 » Oct 01 2016 05:06

Great design work - my only gripe is the odd segmentation at the midriff. Doing the zig-zag looks weird. Perhaps double step like a thigh segment?

I get that you've got wide front ventral plate over top of two segments (covering the 'abdomen' area behind), but it is broad enough to break them up into individual sections, so on their own they create that zig zag effect.

Otherwise, just wow - far cry from the cutting, shaving, gluing, greenstuffing, breaking apart, redoing; putty work of yore. ;)

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#135 » Oct 02 2016 09:25

The chest should protrude a bit more, IMO - really add that bulk. Aside from that, looking great!

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#136 » Oct 03 2016 03:04

I'm going to be honest- I update this page when I'm not working just to see more of the crisis suit... It's just awesome.

I agree the chest could protrude a little more to give the pilot some space, but that might just be the angle we're looking at.
~Good Hunting

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Re: Arrow's Fio Log: Finishing the Arrow Pattern XV8

Post#137 » Oct 03 2016 09:21

Well, today I received an interesting shipment. For those who aren't familiar, I stumbled across a neat 40K themed podcast this summer called The Long War, which is very hobby-centric. It eventually led me to start supporting Spikey Bits on Patreon (Spikey Bits is one of the biggest partners of the podcast, the guy who runs it is actually on the podcast). The interesting thing is that Spikey Bits uses Patreon support to develop hobby-related content like unboxings and reviews, and then kick back some thank you support to their followers. Today I got my first support shipment and I was pleasantly surprised. It included a MkIV tactical squad from Betrayal at Calth, Watch Captain Artemis, an older White Dwarf (works for me, I didn't subscribe to the weekly magazines), and a smattering of product samples and discount coupons to a wide variety of 3rd party hobby companies.
I'm not going to have time to revisit these for a few weeks, but I'm happy to have them waiting for me. That makes 2 squads of Skitarii Rangers/Vanguard, an Onager Dunecrawler, 2 tactical squads, a Stormtalon Gunship, 2 Space Marine captains, a Fire Warrior breacher team, and some Crisis suits all waiting to be built after our contest and Armies on Parade clear up.
You might say I have a bit of a backlog.

As for bulking the chest, I think it's a function of the view angle. Check out these images with the arms hidden and see if you still think it's not bulky enough. I'm planning to put on some finishing touches and order these around the time voting ends, so whoever wins the suit will have a bit of a wait while I get the conversion bits in, and then send the finished product out.
ImageImage

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#138 » Oct 04 2016 12:36

I've heard of it- they send you support boxes for listening? How do you support them? That's great swag!

Those angles work much better- I'm hoping to do well in our little contest just to get a chance at your XV (I plan on making him a Monat, muahahaha)
~Good Hunting

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#139 » Oct 04 2016 04:54

Wow, no small measure of kickback.... :eek:

Also, that revision of the view angles on the torso really help - not as big as I thought and more inline with classic proportions :)

Kalten
Fio'La
Fio'La

Post#140 » Oct 04 2016 05:06

Are you going to include hardpoints on top of the engines like the rest of the crisis series?

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#141 » Oct 04 2016 11:33

I am not currently planning to put hardpoints indents on the jet packs, as I like the clean aesthetic, but I could add them easily enough if people want them.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#142 » Oct 04 2016 11:35

To be fair, one can just as easily glue/magnet them on the jet packs without the slits. Always thought it's dumb for them to be their since they don't serve any real purpose and just look weird.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#143 » Oct 04 2016 07:25

Today's update isn't of the normal sort. Instead, I have some interesting findings based on a nostalgia pang which has been hanging over me recently.
Tau were my first 40K army, and it has been approximately 10 years since I actually took enough interest in my collection to start playing full size games and accumulating a large enough force to actually craft a list, rather than just fielding all of my models. I don't have many (if any) pictures from when I first started 40K, but I do have pictures from when I first started here at ATT.
In fact, I have entire threads.
It's fun to look at where you've been and see the progress made, and my tenure here at ATT has been nothing short of amazing for developing my hobby skills and pushing me beyond my previous limits.
I have some images, and also some statistics about my threads over the past 7+ years.
For starters, let's take a look at the beginning.
I began my Tau as a clean and simple scheme loosely based on the Sa'Cea scheme in the 4th edition Tau Codex. In my local hobby scene they were considered well painted at the time. Once I joined ATT, however, I came to appreciate just how much I had to learn (and how badly I needed a real camera).
The first thing I did to try and update my Tau was to try my hand at weathering. Some of the techniques I learned there I still use to this day, others not so much.
I was heavily influenced by Jordtron's weathered Farsight Enclaves army, and tried to emulate it without really understanding how it worked.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Interestingly enough, my younger self was quite proud of these models, though I cringe when I look back upon them.
I made some minor improvements over the next 2 years, most of which were documented in my 40k blog. I tried some new things, and generally updated the thread with my hobby workings as they happened. It was a period of generally low self-esteem for young Arrow, and I stopped updating the log in September of 2010. Despite this, it remains to this day my most posted thread, and my thread with the most views at nearly 58,000 as of writing. This is the metric against which I measure myself, and my current Fio log.
It was in this log that I started really exploring the world of conversions and experimenting with better and better painting methods. It is also where the term Mangohead was coined, for those of you familiar with the project.
It wasn't until 2012 that I think my skills really began to develop. I consider this diorama to really be the turning point for me. It's also when my force began to take on a less weathered overall look, with vehicles having some directional weathering and occasional models having bullet damage or chipped paint, but the majority of the force looking clean on the tabletop.
Of course, from there it wasn't long until I reached where I am today. Always growing, always learning, and always pleased when I overcome new hurdles.

Now to talk statistics, because in both post count and my most posted thread, this Fio log is finally about to overtake my 7+ year old 40k blog, which is a thread I had considered deleting altogether in the past but decided to leave alone. I took data points two weeks ago, and again today to evaluate long-term and short-term trends.
Some interesting things I found when crunching the numbers:
Total views per day is an interesting statistic. My old 40k blog is averaging 21.32 views per day, which I initially thought was a dropping value because the blog hasn't been updated in 6 years. I assumed that the views were falling off and it was initially just very popular in the beginning. This is actually not the case, as 2 weeks ago it was averaging 21.25 views per day so the views are actually going up. This is much more apparent in the short term, where it is actually averaging 30.89 views per day. I don't know why, but that old thread is apparently a hobby resource for someone.
My current thread, by comparison, is averaging 12.08 views per day. This is up by 1.01 since 2 weeks ago when it was averaging 11.07 views per day. This is due to the 2 week average views being an astounding 77.17 views per day! This thread obviously dropped off the radar as I stopped updating it for a while, but has seen a resurgence of interest beyond anything I had imagined in the meantime. The only recent threads I know of which are getting more hits per day are contest related.
Another statistic I checked out is a measure of how engaged the community is with my thread. How I determined that is what percentage of total posts are my posts. In the old thread my posts were 47.47% of posts, while in this new thread my posts represent 45.77% of all posts. It's a pretty similar statistic, which shows that the community is about equally engaged with this thread as it was with my old thread. My posts are matched on average 1 for 1.
Based on the current trends, this thread will overtake my other thread in all areas eventually, but it'll take a while. It's about to be my most posted thread, but it will be some time before it becomes my most viewed thread. At the current rate of daily pageviews it will take 932 days for this Fio log to overtake my old 40k blog for most views. That means that it would overtake on April 24th, 2019 (making the thread 578 days younger than my old thread is right now), and the total post count would be 86,176 views in each thread at the time of overtake - not a bad number of views.

Anyway, enjoy the statistics and history if you're into that sort of thing. Happy voting week everyone!

zbeam
Shas

Post#144 » Oct 06 2016 11:13

Amazing work! After 9 years away this is really inspiring to see.

Thanks for posting.

Return to “Project Logs”