Arrow's Fio Log: Building the Arrow Pattern XV8

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Re: Arrow's Fio Log: Ooooooh, Barracuda!

Post#109 » Aug 24 2016 12:40

The "T" idea was confusing me at first, but I see what you're getting at. Honestly, I have had decent success in the past with just drawing the arms line-to-line with the tabs on the weapons and letting the print tolerances make a snug friction fit. The "T" idea is just a better version of that.

I was actually planning to have an indent for a 3mm (1/8") magnet printed as part of the arms and any weapons so it can be swapped.

I need to get happy with the CIB because I'll be printing a bunch for myself. I want them for my second commander and possibly more suits. That's what's bugging me ATM. Any suggestions for how to do it better would be welcomed. I like what Paulson Games did for the CIB but don't want to copy him, I want to do my own thing.

Aside from weapons I think the conversion is done: the above pictures are the Arrow pattern suit, unless someone has other suggestions for improvement which I will consider. I want those who are entering the contest and might win this suit to give feedback. Is it what you want? Is it in need of changes? What is good or bad about this suit?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#110 » Aug 24 2016 06:32

The only thing I'd like to mention would be that the chest doesn't feel right. Your added stuff is much more "rounded" and streamlined while the basic chest is pretty bulky imo.
Other than that I wouldn't possibly know what to change or do better lol.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#111 » Aug 29 2016 09:22

Panzer wrote:The only thing I'd like to mention would be that the chest doesn't feel right. Your added stuff is much more "rounded" and streamlined while the basic chest is pretty bulky imo.

This, pretty much. I think something along the liens of a hybrid between the Iridium armor that's available in current sets and something either Riptide or XV9-ish would be pretty cool!

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#112 » Aug 29 2016 11:01

Orpheus Hangar wrote:
Panzer wrote:The only thing I'd like to mention would be that the chest doesn't feel right. Your added stuff is much more "rounded" and streamlined while the basic chest is pretty bulky imo.

This, pretty much. I think something along the liens of a hybrid between the Iridium armor that's available in current sets and something either Riptide or XV9-ish would be pretty cool!

I have been messing with the chest a bit, but I'm not sure where I want to take it. I'll make some other options, but I'm definitely keeping this one for future use if it doesn't go on the Arrow Pattern kit.

Also, this past week I whipped up my conversion kit to salvage the broken 'Cuda chassis. It's based on the original Barracuda kit, but with my own flare added and some modifications made to fit the new chassis. I plan to 3D print these components, then add the Ion Cannon and Burst Cannons from a Hammerhead and greenstuff shut the landing gear and missile rack areas. I may magnetize some missiles to the underside just for WYSIWYG sake. It'll function as a regular Barracuda alongside my AX-5-2, and matches the original in pretty much all dimensions.

Image Image
Image Image

The definition on these isn't great in white, so when I next update I'll have some better shots.

paulson games
Shas

Post#113 » Aug 30 2016 12:40

Agentarrow wrote:Image

I like the profile you have, the part that stands out to me is the angled vents lines on the forward housing. I think they are too thin and there's possibly too many. It's a detail that's on the fusion blaster and some of the intake detail on the riptide and supremacy but it's not really a feature on any of the weapon barrels so I think that may be why it seems slightly out of place. On the plasma rifles, fusion blasters, and ghostkeel blaster the barrel venting is comprised of horizontal lines. Venting lines on other weapons like the airburst, firewarrior rifle, ion rifle, rail rifle, cyclic blaster, etc have a vertical placement, so they tend to be in 90 degree orientations. The vertical details also pair up well with the indentation patterns on the crisis suit arms, so I think that you'd find a slightly better visual match if you stepped away from the diagonal detailing.

Lines and details tend to be in repetitions of two or three on a lot of Tau models, maybe try a set of 3 vent lines in a vertical position?

Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#114 » Aug 30 2016 01:01

Good to see you again, my old friend. I was just marveling over your new goodies.

I like your suggestion. The aesthetic definitely fits better. Several of my personal touch weapons have diagonal vents (see the old Fusion Blaster on the previous page) so I tried to stick with that. I don't think it meshes well with the CIB, and is probably also my biggest issue with the FB if I'm honest.

Tomorrow I'll give the weapons another look, as well as the torso.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#115 » Aug 30 2016 11:29

I didn't get a chance to touch the torso, but I did change up my images to hopefully make these more visible for you all. Today's post comes with image overload, so prepare yourselves. I took Paulson's advice with the CIB and it made a big change. I appreciate the suggestion.
Without further ado, I present my updated model:
ImageImage
Image Image
I also present a better view of my Hybrid Barracuda kit:
Image Image
Image Image

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#116 » Aug 31 2016 12:29

Good call from PaulsonGames! Even though I don't really like many of his designs I do think that the new vents fit much much better!
Please say that you are gonna sell those CIBs seperately (or in packs) in future and that you live in the EU so that shipping won't kill me. :D

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#117 » Aug 31 2016 10:19

I'm not sure. Those CIBs are really close to what GW already makes, so selling them could be playing with fire.
I also definitely do not live in the EU.

Valaas
Shas'Saal

Post#118 » Aug 31 2016 10:55

Love the jet pack vents and weapon options, I'd definitely be up for buying some of those to add some variety to my crisis teams.

Barracuda bits look cool as well....I need a wingman for my old Barracuda. ;)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#119 » Aug 31 2016 07:40

Great updates - can't help but be amused that we're transcending GW kits and just designing wholly new parts :D

I like the new vents and agree on the upright 3 gooves in the CIB. Prior looked a little like a flamer muzzle.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#120 » Sep 11 2016 05:56

Big update today! I have begun painting my Barracuda, though it is still heavily a WIP piece. I have successfully magnetized most of the model, with just a few accessories yet to get their magnets.
ImageImage
The interesting thing for me is that the model has magnet recesses for the missile pods. This makes me curious if Forge World is going to offer alternative loadouts in the future where those pods can be replaced with another weapon. To be safe I put them on with magnets.

In an interesting turn of events, I picked up some more models for a price I really couldn't refuse. Anyone who knows me knows that I really like the old XV-15 stealth suits, and that I really don't like the XV-25s. I feel like the older metal models fit the Tau aesthetic while the newer plastic ones do not, though the plastic ones fit better now that they have a matching upscale suit. I also really like the Optimized Stealth Cadre, which will be finding its way into my "aggressive" Tau list as soon as I acquire and modify 1-3 Ghostkeels. I hadn't really planned to get any more models for a while but 9 more XV-15s and 2 more Remora drones have added themselves to my army so I have begun to paint them up. The stealth suits will definitely need some work, but I'm looking forward to having them ready to go.
ImageImage

On the subject of the Arrow Pattern suit, I made some minor tweaks but have begun a bulkier chest plate. Overall I like the direction this is going, but it definitely needs more work.
ImageImage
ImageImage

I feel like my WIP pool is ever growing, no matter how much further I get along with my projects. I'm also working on my Armies on Parade 2016 board, and will update with some pictures when I'm ready - only a month left for that.
As always, I welcome the community's input and discussion.

Husky707
Shas'Saal

Post#121 » Sep 11 2016 11:00

I love the weathering you've done on the Remora drones; absolutely gorgeous!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#122 » Sep 12 2016 12:46

Really neat Barracuda and Remoras! Two untis I really want to get my hands on eventually as well. :)

To the Arrow Pattern Crisis. I think there are two major things that put me a little bit off
First is that your design is more curvey than the ordinary crisis and mixing those two doesn't go that well imo. Tried to make it more clear here:

Second is basically the same just on a different spot. It doesn't look like it's meant to fit together with the chest part like this (obviously since one is made by you and the other isn't but still):

I hope I don't sound picky. I just want to give constructive critique. I'm not taking part in the event anyway so I won't get my hands on that Crisis ever but I like where you are going with it. :D

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#123 » Sep 12 2016 01:13

Thanks for your responses.
Panzer, you bring up a valid point with the jet packs. I feel the same way, but having a curved intake is outside the scope of the design right now. For cost reasons I can't add any more parts to the model or I would have the center intake match the curvature of the jet packs.

Your second point I find more intriguing. Take a look at GW's Crisis Suits and you'll notice that they have the same "ill fitment" that mine does, but even more pronounced. I think the suits are designed for that area to stick out as it is the mount for the shoulder joint.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#124 » Sep 12 2016 01:37

Agentarrow wrote:Thanks for your responses.
Panzer, you bring up a valid point with the jet packs. I feel the same way, but having a curved intake is outside the scope of the design right now. For cost reasons I can't add any more parts to the model or I would have the center intake match the curvature of the jet packs.

Ah that's a shame. Yeah at some point a project just becomes too expensive I guess.
Agentarrow wrote:Your second point I find more intriguing. Take a look at GW's Crisis Suits and you'll notice that they have the same "ill fitment" that mine does, but even more pronounced. I think the suits are designed for that area to stick out as it is the mount for the shoulder joint.

You got a point there. However for some reason it fits the GW suits better since they feel more blocky overall compared to yours.
Also there is this one suit (taken from the 360° view on the GW webstore) which is completely differently designed on that part and looks imo way better.
It's the one that's supposed to represent the Iridium Suit iirc even though fluff says it doesn't look different from ordinary ones because they "simply" used a different material to make it more durable.

paulson games
Shas

Post#125 » Sep 12 2016 04:46

I don't feel that the jetpack's curvature really clashes with the squareness of the center intake, reason being is that the suits are a combination of both blocky and rounded surfaces. The body is quite square in design (and the intake is centered on the body) rounded surfaces come into play on the legs feet & armor, and on the arms if you use the extra shoulder armor piece.

Also if you look at the older FW suits the heads are rounded and some of the shoulder pads are as well. So there's a design precident for having the core defined by blocky shapes while the extremities of the suit get some curved contours to their edges but still hold an appearance of flat armor facings. Farsights jet pack has a curved profile on the front of his jet pack while the centerline is still quite blocky and has a head edged sensor fin/spin where the intakes normally are.

Also I like the slight bit of asymmetry between the engines and the intake as it's an inverse of the XV-9 design where the centerline intake and engines are a curved profile while the secondary outside engines are a square profile. (The XV-9 has a torso profile that's curved so the intake & center engine matches it). Since the Arrow suit has a blocky centerline profile i think that is the intake was rounded it might be a bit too much IMO.

I think it looks quite at home when held up against other design standards established by official models.
Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#126 » Sep 12 2016 10:26

Panzer wrote:Also there is this one suit (taken from the 360° view on the GW webstore) which is completely differently designed on that part and looks imo way better.
It's the one that's supposed to represent the Iridium Suit iirc even though fluff says it doesn't look different from ordinary ones because they "simply" used a different material to make it more durable.

I have that bit, but it's still on the sprue. I haven't actually seen it on a suit before. I think that's the first time I've seen the chest line up with the shoulder mounts like that, I thought they always left a bit of gap. I think that the biggest issue is perhaps that I widened the chest by an additional 1.5mm, so the angled portion of the rear of the torso is no longer in line (or even near in line) with the front of the torso. I'm going to keep playing with it and see where things go.

paulson games wrote:Also I like the slight bit of asymmetry between the engines and the intake as it's an inverse of the XV-9 design where the centerline intake and engines are a curved profile while the secondary outside engines are a square profile. (The XV-9 has a torso profile that's curved so the intake & center engine matches it). Since the Arrow suit has a blocky centerline profile i think that is the intake was rounded it might be a bit too much IMO.

You might be right. My gut instinct is to have a rounded profile, but it may not fit with the block profile of the torso. I'd have to design one and compare to know for sure though. I have a pretty large list of things i want to do, and so little time to work on it.

Return to “Project Logs”