Arrow's Fio Log: Building the Arrow Pattern XV8

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Re: Arrow's Fio Log: Finishing the Arrow Pattern XV8

Post#141 » Oct 04 2016 11:33

I am not currently planning to put hardpoints indents on the jet packs, as I like the clean aesthetic, but I could add them easily enough if people want them.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#142 » Oct 04 2016 11:35

To be fair, one can just as easily glue/magnet them on the jet packs without the slits. Always thought it's dumb for them to be their since they don't serve any real purpose and just look weird.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#143 » Oct 04 2016 07:25

Today's update isn't of the normal sort. Instead, I have some interesting findings based on a nostalgia pang which has been hanging over me recently.
Tau were my first 40K army, and it has been approximately 10 years since I actually took enough interest in my collection to start playing full size games and accumulating a large enough force to actually craft a list, rather than just fielding all of my models. I don't have many (if any) pictures from when I first started 40K, but I do have pictures from when I first started here at ATT.
In fact, I have entire threads.
It's fun to look at where you've been and see the progress made, and my tenure here at ATT has been nothing short of amazing for developing my hobby skills and pushing me beyond my previous limits.
I have some images, and also some statistics about my threads over the past 7+ years.
For starters, let's take a look at the beginning.
I began my Tau as a clean and simple scheme loosely based on the Sa'Cea scheme in the 4th edition Tau Codex. In my local hobby scene they were considered well painted at the time. Once I joined ATT, however, I came to appreciate just how much I had to learn (and how badly I needed a real camera).
The first thing I did to try and update my Tau was to try my hand at weathering. Some of the techniques I learned there I still use to this day, others not so much.
I was heavily influenced by Jordtron's weathered Farsight Enclaves army, and tried to emulate it without really understanding how it worked.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Interestingly enough, my younger self was quite proud of these models, though I cringe when I look back upon them.
I made some minor improvements over the next 2 years, most of which were documented in my 40k blog. I tried some new things, and generally updated the thread with my hobby workings as they happened. It was a period of generally low self-esteem for young Arrow, and I stopped updating the log in September of 2010. Despite this, it remains to this day my most posted thread, and my thread with the most views at nearly 58,000 as of writing. This is the metric against which I measure myself, and my current Fio log.
It was in this log that I started really exploring the world of conversions and experimenting with better and better painting methods. It is also where the term Mangohead was coined, for those of you familiar with the project.
It wasn't until 2012 that I think my skills really began to develop. I consider this diorama to really be the turning point for me. It's also when my force began to take on a less weathered overall look, with vehicles having some directional weathering and occasional models having bullet damage or chipped paint, but the majority of the force looking clean on the tabletop.
Of course, from there it wasn't long until I reached where I am today. Always growing, always learning, and always pleased when I overcome new hurdles.

Now to talk statistics, because in both post count and my most posted thread, this Fio log is finally about to overtake my 7+ year old 40k blog, which is a thread I had considered deleting altogether in the past but decided to leave alone. I took data points two weeks ago, and again today to evaluate long-term and short-term trends.
Some interesting things I found when crunching the numbers:
Total views per day is an interesting statistic. My old 40k blog is averaging 21.32 views per day, which I initially thought was a dropping value because the blog hasn't been updated in 6 years. I assumed that the views were falling off and it was initially just very popular in the beginning. This is actually not the case, as 2 weeks ago it was averaging 21.25 views per day so the views are actually going up. This is much more apparent in the short term, where it is actually averaging 30.89 views per day. I don't know why, but that old thread is apparently a hobby resource for someone.
My current thread, by comparison, is averaging 12.08 views per day. This is up by 1.01 since 2 weeks ago when it was averaging 11.07 views per day. This is due to the 2 week average views being an astounding 77.17 views per day! This thread obviously dropped off the radar as I stopped updating it for a while, but has seen a resurgence of interest beyond anything I had imagined in the meantime. The only recent threads I know of which are getting more hits per day are contest related.
Another statistic I checked out is a measure of how engaged the community is with my thread. How I determined that is what percentage of total posts are my posts. In the old thread my posts were 47.47% of posts, while in this new thread my posts represent 45.77% of all posts. It's a pretty similar statistic, which shows that the community is about equally engaged with this thread as it was with my old thread. My posts are matched on average 1 for 1.
Based on the current trends, this thread will overtake my other thread in all areas eventually, but it'll take a while. It's about to be my most posted thread, but it will be some time before it becomes my most viewed thread. At the current rate of daily pageviews it will take 932 days for this Fio log to overtake my old 40k blog for most views. That means that it would overtake on April 24th, 2019 (making the thread 578 days younger than my old thread is right now), and the total post count would be 86,176 views in each thread at the time of overtake - not a bad number of views.

Anyway, enjoy the statistics and history if you're into that sort of thing. Happy voting week everyone!

zbeam
Shas

Post#144 » Oct 06 2016 11:13

Amazing work! After 9 years away this is really inspiring to see.

Thanks for posting.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#145 » Oct 07 2016 12:28

Really cool post and review on your work over time. Thoroughly enjoyed reading through that and your thoughts on the various stages, stats, ideas, models and paint work. :)

Y3R0K
Shas

Post#146 » Oct 07 2016 10:41

The Tsunami Riptide is absolutely amazing! any chance these parts are available on shapeways or something?

JagdtMirage
Kor'Ui

Post#147 » Oct 11 2016 11:53

Calmsword wrote:I've heard of it- they send you support boxes for listening? How do you support them? That's great swag!

Those angles work much better- I'm hoping to do well in our little contest just to get a chance at your XV (I plan on making him a Monat, muahahaha)

A lot of the painters of Brush Lickers United (A public FB group of painting streamers), make their way doing commission painting, and Kenny's a shining example of said. As Kenny puts it, he's bringing the love back to the hobby.

Kenny takes donations, and works with people to put together swag bags and raffles them off several times a month, to viewers on twitch and Youtube.

Tuesday evenings from 2pm PST to 7pm PST Jason and Kenny do back to back shows.

I stumbled across this group and joined up about a month ago. . . I now have an evening of interactive entertainment most nights of the week...

And it's brought me back into the hobby:
S7,AP3,10inBlast,IgnoresCover. Smells like...victory.

JagdtMirage
Kor'Ui

Post#148 » Oct 11 2016 12:05

Agentarrow wrote:Today's update isn't of the normal sort. Instead, I have some interesting findings based on a nostalgia pang which has been hanging over me recently.
Tau were my first 40K army, and it has been approximately 10 years since I actually took enough interest in my collection to start playing full size games and accumulating a large enough force to actually craft a list, rather than just fielding all of my models. I don't have many (if any) pictures from when I first started 40K, but I do have pictures from when I first started here at ATT.
*snip*
:)
Agentarrow wrote:Anyway, enjoy the statistics and history if you're into that sort of thing. Happy voting week everyone!

The number crunching vs Nostalgia.

The first thing I did after I remembered my password here was 'view my posts' and start looking back, I've got a 3 year gap to catch up on. This shouldn't take more than a few curing-gaps in my current painting (the flow-improver I'm using boosts my between coats/layers time for this current project to about 2 hours, so this paces well)

You look back on your old work and you go 'Wow, I had so much to learn' and then you look at where you are now, and expand your knowledge, and keep learning. :) I look forward to seeing your updates for years to come.

This is the pattern of the Tau. Improving for the greater good.
S7,AP3,10inBlast,IgnoresCover. Smells like...victory.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#149 » Oct 11 2016 09:19

JagdtMirage wrote:I stumbled across this group and joined up about a month ago. . . I now have an evening of interactive entertainment most nights of the week...

And it's brought me back into the hobby:

Glad to have you back. I think we maybe talked on Facebook today too?

JagdtMirage wrote:The first thing I did after I remembered my password here was 'view my posts' and start looking back, I've got a 3 year gap to catch up on. This shouldn't take more than a few curing-gaps in my current painting (the flow-improver I'm using boosts my between coats/layers time for this current project to about 2 hours, so this paces well)

You look back on your old work and you go 'Wow, I had so much to learn' and then you look at where you are now, and expand your knowledge, and keep learning. :) I look forward to seeing your updates for years to come.

This is the pattern of the Tau. Improving for the greater good.

Absolutely. It helps that resources like ATT and BLU not only exist, but encourage improvement in a friendly and supportive environment. My growth over the past years is certainly due to this kind of encouragement and assistance.

Today was productive. I watched the Slow Fuse Gaming and Next Level Painting back-to-back Twitch streams, and while those were going on I worked on my Armies on Parade board.
For those who don't recognize it, that landing pad is based on the masterful work of Shi'ur. This is my first time making any serious terrain. It definitely did not turn out the way I wanted it to, but that's a lesson learned for the future.

Still to be done; I have to finish the board. Once the puddles dry I'll matte varnish the whole board, then I'll go through and gloss up the puddles again.
I also have to paint the weapons for my second Barracuda, and finish two Remora drones. Once I have that done I'm content to call the board ready for now. Considering that I forgot about Armies on Parade until its poster went up in my local store around July, I think I was able to construct a pretty good collection of models and a decent display board. In retrospect I think I should have made the landing pad something other than cool grey, as it blends too much with the models.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#150 » Oct 12 2016 12:13

Looks pretty awesome! But damn those suits pop out compared to the heavily weathered flyer. :D

Return to “Project Logs”