Arrow's Fio Log: Building the Arrow Pattern XV8

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Valaas
Shas'Saal

Re: Arrow's Fio Log: Finishing the Arrow Pattern XV8

Post#151 » Oct 12 2016 04:54

If your after some Tau inspired scenery, take a look at Hivecityterrain.co.uk.

I have 3 of their bunkers/emplacements, a shield generator and also the bastion (though that's not up in their shop at the moment).

Really good terrain and will feature in my War Room plog in the future.

Cheers,
Valaas

Plarzoid
Shas'La

Post#152 » Oct 12 2016 08:20

Arrow!

It was awesome seeing a familiar name in Next_Level_Painting's chat last night. Apologies if I was slow to respond, I tend to paint and just listen to him, so I'm rarely watching chat. I need to see if I can get BetterTwitchTV to chime or something when I get mentioned in chat.

Awesome models here, and I'm crazy jealous of your speed if you got most of this done in just a few months.
Check out my hobby blog: http://www.plarzoid.com

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#153 » Oct 12 2016 09:26

Panzer wrote:Looks pretty awesome! But damn those suits pop out compared to the heavily weathered flyer. :D

Part of it is that I have run out of my old GW colors finally, so I no longer have the nice mixed colors I used to use which are brighter than the current Russ Grey I am using. Many of the suits are still painted in the old colors. I do weather my suits some, but not to the same extent as my vehicles which get some heavy directional weathering on the front.

Plarzoid wrote:It was awesome seeing a familiar name in Next_Level_Painting's chat last night. Apologies if I was slow to respond, I tend to paint and just listen to him, so I'm rarely watching chat. I need to see if I can get BetterTwitchTV to chime or something when I get mentioned in chat.

Awesome models here, and I'm crazy jealous of your speed if you got most of this done in just a few months.

I was slow to respond myself, as I was pretty much doing the same. I just periodically check to see if my name is highlighted anywhere and respond if necessary.

I definitely did not paint all of this in a few months. Due to the short timeframe I put together the board and painted the flyers and a couple suits. The Riptide, XV9, and most of the Crisis suits were already painted from before. I would love to do a whole freshly painted army for this but I would need a whole year. That is why I'm starting now on my board for next year, which will be Skitarii.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#154 » Oct 20 2016 10:08

It's been a while since my last update.
Armies on Parade was postponed by one week for my local store, so I had some extra time to get in some work. I'm finishing up some flyer bases tonight, and while I wait for the glue to dry I thought I would share an unexpected development from yesterday.
I didn't expect these to come in until Monday, but early is always nice. I did my inspection, cleaned up the parts a bit, and have already packed up Kalten's prize. I'm just waiting to work out some address details and then I'll be shipping it out ASAP.
ImageImage
There's more here than just the prize, obviously. I ordered 2 full Arrow Pattern conversion kits (one for me and one for Kalten). I also ordered some extra bits for me to use in future conversions. I also ordered an extra shoulder pad and a couple extra elbows in case something breaks.
ImageImage
There it is! That's the Arrow Pattern XV8!
I've clipped the pieces off the sprue, but it'll be up to Kalten to finish cleaning them, and to assemble and pose the suit. I'm really looking forward to the finished product. Meanwhile, I'm debating whether or not to start my Arrow Pattern build or wait until after AoP.

Kalten
Fio'La

Post#155 » Oct 20 2016 10:44

Ho, Ho, Ho! Christmas comes early this year! That suit looks gorgeous as hell, and if all the pieces came like the printed ones, I would be sorely tempted to leave them as they are, as I really like that transparent frosted look (If that was a stealth suit instead of a crisis suit, I would create a snow/ice diorama just for it).
Thanks for the gift, Agentarrow. While I wait for the delivery, I will think about what color scheme to use to make the suit justice, although, rest assured, I will paint it to my highest standards.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Re: Arrow's Fio Log: Armies on Parade - GOLD WON

Post#156 » Oct 23 2016 02:04

Today features one of the most exciting updates to date!
Due to some scheduling issues, Armies on Parade was postponed at my local store by 1 week. That means it was actually today instead of last weekend like the rest of the world.

I am very pleased to say that I managed to take home the GOLD!
This is my first ever Armies on Parade medal so I am really pleased with the result.
Enjoy this collection of pictures featuring my army, and the others against which I had to compete. The competition was rough this year, there were great entries all around.

Valaas
Shas'Saal

Post#157 » Oct 23 2016 07:55

Big Congrats!

Nothing like a big win to drive you onwards!

Cheers,
Valaas

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#158 » Oct 23 2016 01:15

Agentarrow - that's a big win for The Greater Good! :biggrin:

And thanks for sharing what the competition looked like, because I think I saw a least two that could have taken gold, and the rest could have tied for silver. Which makes you victory even more impressive.

The TauMan is amazed! :)
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#159 » Oct 24 2016 05:16

Thanks all, I was pleasantly surprised to take the win, since there were so many entries which I would consider "better" than mine. I spoke to some of the voters and the things which really blew them away were the wind-shear weathering on the flyers, and the gem effects on the Barracudas and Riptide. They were also very impressed with the level of conversion displayed, since the other armies were mostly (if not completely) direct-from-box.
I can honestly say that two things have really led to this point. #1 is, of course, my time here at ATT. This is where I developed my knack for conversion spurred ever onward by the creative collective we foster. It's also where I learned how to do Tau lenses and wind-shear weathering. #2 is BLU (Brush Lickers United) whose streams I've been watching when possible. I've learned some great brush control techniques and just developed better skills from watching and interacting with masters in real time. This was a new experience for me, and I plan to do even better for next year. I've already chosen Skitarii as my faction but I think that with Fires of Cyraxus coming out, and with it being Tau vs AdMech, I can craft a board which represents a scene from the book.

Today I did a bit of housecleaning. I have more work to do, but those of you who visit my Shapeways gallery will find that the page has been updated.
My new logo has finally made it onto the page. I have also added individual sections for the Tsunami Mech, Standard Mech, Fixed Emplacements, and Tabletop Terrain.
Each category has at least one model except for terrain, which is currently empty.
New models have been uploaded. In the Tsunami Mech section, there is now a model which is 3 of the gatling weapons in both long-barrel and short-barrel variety, allowing customization of just weapons instead of doing the whole kit. The rest of the kit is also available without weapons for vice-versa customization.
In the standard mech section is a torso and the jet packs from the Arrow Pattern for customization of suits smaller than the Tsunami.
Just a warning - due to the requirements of the printing process, the jet packs do have an escape hole in them. This is not hard to fill with greenstuff, but I may in the future introduce a cap which fills the hole.
In the fixed emplacements section is an updated and less fragile version of my turret.

chris13f
Shas'Saal

Post#160 » Oct 24 2016 08:07

Congrats on the win man! I entered my Praetorians because my tau werent ready. However our local store help the Parade as a popularity contest, so a gold spray painted army beat me.

Return to “Project Logs”