Arrow's Fio Log: Building the Arrow Pattern XV8

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Re: Arrow's Fio Log: Armies on Parade - GOLD WON

Post#161 » Oct 24 2016 08:51

That's unfortunate. I've definitely heard that before, it seems like that's the case for many stores now. I don't think that's how it was for my store. I think some deserving entries didn't do as well as they might have, but overall it seemed to be based on skill.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#162 » Oct 24 2016 09:23

Gold!? Huzzah! Break out the Shrimp Tails :D

Man, my apologies for being so busy to have missed adding my congrats!

Looking through the competition you had worthy challengers indeed. Top stuff.

The new parts library looks great, liking that lil'turret :D

Plarzoid
Shas'La

Post#163 » Oct 25 2016 09:10

Congrats on the win! From what I see, you definitely deserved it.
Check out my hobby blog: http://www.plarzoid.com

Sho´Yuken
Shas

Post#164 » Oct 25 2016 07:07

Congratulations on the award! All the models and board look amazing, sepcially the flyers and that weathering!

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Re: Arrow's Fio Log: Building the Arrow Pattern XV8

Post#165 » Oct 30 2016 08:30

After a busy week of no hobby, I did take some time today to assemble and start painting my Arrow Pattern. I'm trying out a new method where I create subassemblies and then assemble the full suit once everything is painted. I'm taking a page out of Plarzoid's book. From that same book, I'm trying a bit more of a soft gradient rather than hard highlight on this suit. I've done this method before, but wet blended by hand. Now that I have an airbrush I can try something cleaner.
In the photos the model is held together with craft glue dots. They're useful, but not as nice as a simple poster tack or similar weak adhesive putty.
ImageImage
ImageImage
There is definitely a long way to go yet, but hopefully these pictures give a good idea of the quality of the print. I was pleased with the overall quality. They required very little work to get this far too.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La

Post#166 » Oct 30 2016 09:01

The suit looks absolutely amazing. It looks even better now that you are getting your first coats on it.

Do you have any plans for a next Tau design?

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#167 » Oct 30 2016 09:04

Nice, makes me so excited for mine to come in the mail!

Tael
Fio'O

Post#168 » Oct 30 2016 09:24

That is very very nice.. particularly liking the shoulder armour. Superb work man. :)

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#169 » Oct 30 2016 10:49

Tearphoenix wrote:Do you have any plans for a next Tau design?

I'm working on a really cool commission right now, which is unfortunately eating my design time. Once that's done I plan to make something for my latest addition to my army.

I recently acquired an XV95 Ghostkeel, and I'm currently constructing a model of the base kit to build from. Once that's ready I'm going to modify the chassis to more closely resemble the XV9 (since by naming convention the XV95 should relate to the base XV9 like the XV88 does to the base XV8). I'm going to carry over the dual arm-mounted weapon layout, angular feet, and chest style from the smaller suit while retaining the cockpit opening. I'm also going to make some head alterations.

We're reaching a critical deadline at work, so there probably won't be much development on new designs until around December. I still have incomplete projects with my current prints - anyone remember that my turrets are still mostly unpainted?

Plarzoid
Shas'La

Post#170 » Nov 02 2016 11:48

Custom pieces look killer, dude. Airbrush transitions look nice and smooth, too.

I'm a huge fan of the Ghostkeel, I'm looking forward to what you do with it!
Check out my hobby blog: http://www.plarzoid.com

Return to “Project Logs”