Dubstep Tau by Boss Fearless (Sonic Hammerhead Finished!)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
bossfearless

Re: [WIP] Boss Fearless's Experimental Cadre

Post#55 » Sep 14 2013 12:07

Let me show you how I throw down.

BANGARANG

There are a few things I still need to do, but I managed to salvage the support suit and do some good things with it. I nixed most of the LEDs on this one, settling for just the glowing eye(s) and letting it be understated. The base he's on is built up a little high because I'm going to carve away at parts of it to do kind of a ruined concrete look. I'm still kicking around one or two ideas for embellishments, like adding a big punching spike onto the free hand, something like the switchblade that Gundam Heavy Arms totes around. If you have any ideas, go ahead and toss em out.

Now let me drop a little teaser on you, show you what's currently in the engineering bay.

You know, just in case you were curious.

This is just a mock up for right now. All the pieces are held together with either bits of tack or tiny dabs of glue in a couple corners. I need to make sure the general shape of the thing is to my liking before I start drilling holes and sticking lights into places they don't belong. At this point I'm slightly torn. I could keep the front of the chest somewhat stock, or I could graft a Piranha hull and engines onto the front of it, which would fit rather nicely dead center and give it more of a Battletech feel.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

bossfearless

Post#56 » Sep 15 2013 07:37

Okay, so, got a few things done and here are some pictures of stuff.

This is what my riptide is turning into so far:

It's been disassembled, wired, powered, stuffed, mounted, and fluffed, then rebuilt to a certain degree. Working on making a more realistic mounting for the shoulder guns, finalizing the naked pilot, and doing the rest of the build on the head. Going for kind of a Warhound look, in case you haven't noticed, and swapped out the giant tau feet for the Dreadknight's paws as I think it works a lot better. Going to light both the guns, and rotate the nova cannon barrel so that it's horizontal and matches the Ion.

Here's the finished product of the Piranha:

Nothing new done to the skimmer, so i just chose the pic where you could really see the ground lighting. When they come in the mail I'm going to switch it to a longer chariot base and re-do the super saiyan effect so that it really shows off the model interacting with the environment.

Xauk
Shas

Post#57 » Sep 16 2013 02:14

Again amazed with your drive to work so hard and effortlessly. Your conversions inspire very much. I like the build on the support suit. Very Organic/robotic Suit. How many suits are you building right now?

I'm looking forward to your models being painted. I hope they turn out as good as your convert skills.

Riptide looks swell. only the joints connecting the guns to the shoulders could use some inspiration, like proper mounting units.

Keep them coming.

D

bossfearless

Post#58 » Sep 16 2013 01:06

Daan9tjk wrote:Again amazed with your drive to work so hard and effortlessly. Your conversions inspire very much. I like the build on the support suit. Very Organic/robotic Suit. How many suits are you building right now?

I'm looking forward to your models being painted. I hope they turn out as good as your convert skills.

Riptide looks swell. only the joints connecting the guns to the shoulders could use some inspiration, like proper mounting units.

Keep them coming.

D

The shoulders definitely need a proper mounting. That's something I'm working on atm. This was just a rough mock up to get the positions about right and see if the idea would work at all. I'm currently also working on the head and making it look appropriate, with a big gun of some kind in the mouth.

At the moment, the only suit in the engineering bay is the Riptide. I have a 3 pak of crisis suits and a broadside, which I've been pulling parts from relentlessly but haven't yet started. Then there's the Dreadknight sitting on sprue that I have a plan to covert to the Greater Good with some help from a certain Time Lord. Still waiting on bits for that. I might go after the broadside first because it was much easier to light than the crisis. OR...........I could start the hammerhead that came in the mail today.

So many options. What do you folks think? I'll leave the matter up to you.

Xauk
Shas

Post#59 » Sep 16 2013 01:28

I understand. Dry needs to be fitted! Are you planning on something that is able to move up and down and left to right?
At first I thought a gun in the mouth... hm... but, knowing the crazy stuff you like to pull, I think this will turn out to be fitting!

I see, so more suits to come. Is that the hammerhead with Longstrike in it?

De'terra
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#60 » Sep 16 2013 03:45

I have seen quite the number of suits here.
I'm a fan of some and some not.
But I am curious to see your magic on a hammerhead :)

I do want to give some special kodus to that Riptide mock-up.
the shoulder mounted guns really work because of the demolisher cannon (I think it is...)

bossfearless

Post#61 » Sep 16 2013 07:00

So looks like two votes so far for the hammerhead. I suppose I should start the preliminary work on that anyways. I'm also feeling the creative itch to start on the Amelia Pond's battlesuit, even though I won't have all the bits I need for it just yet. Restock, hoard o bits! Restock for the love of tau'va!

Oh, I'm gonna rig up a remora from the sky ray turret too. Nothing real special but it's a free flier and I will probably put a light on it just because.

It's very unlikely that any of these will be done before I go to Thailand, so please don't get too excited lol.

Maturin
Shas

Post#62 » Sep 17 2013 01:46

I've always thought the riptide's legs looked too spindly, and your bulking up of the torso makes it seem just a bit more unbalanced. Any plans to bulk up those legs, bossfearless?

Looking forward to how it turns out regardless!

bossfearless

Post#63 » Sep 17 2013 09:21

My Desert Pimps are getting some reinforcements, using the Zealot female tau bits and some various other bits as well. I felt there just weren't enough girls in this cadre, and so i fixed that. Also, Apparently I am now a Shas'la. W00t!

During work tonight I sat down and hammered out 4 chapters in a tau romantic action comedy story, told from the POV of one of the Desert Pimp shas'la who falls in love with Commander Darkblade and goes to the all-female IG regiment he's deployed alongside for courtship advice. Hilarity ensues as the language barrier erodes and everyone starts powerlifting.

Because that's just the kind of drivel I write. Of course, now I need to actually make a model for Shas'la Psycho and Shas'Saal Krom. I've got some really, really bizarre characters going on.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Boss Fearless's Experimental Cadre (Update: Female Tau)

Post#64 » Sep 18 2013 06:28

While the modeling is very nice, the pose is great, and the cape is much better then mine-I must say that the concept itself is something I never quite attached to.

The whole "female tau" thing...the way I see tau they are not even mammals, therefor females don't have breasts, nor are they immediately recognized by look, at least as long you aren't a tau-they probably know.

I mean, eldar and humans both being mammals is coincidence enough, not every "normally breeding" race need to falls under that classification, and we have no evidence that Tau does, so it least in my book they are about an equal split, we just can't really tell who is what.

Bitterman
Shas

Post#65 » Sep 18 2013 06:49

I dunno; I mean, Shadowsun, the only female Tau model we know of, has a distinctively feminine face. She's (very sensibly) wearing too much armour for us to get an idea of whether her body, and those of others Tau females, is similarly "feminine" (in human terms) but I really don't see any reason why it shouldn't be.

The humanoid body shape appears throughout 40K (and sci-fi more generally) because it is recognisable and familiar, not because there should be any realistic expectation that aliens will look like humans. Orks do not have females at all, but otherwise the same assumptions among these humanoid races always seem to hold. In the absence (AFAIK) of any evidence saying that Tau are different, it's a reasonable assumption that they are basically the same.

(After all, Tau are often - lazily - described as "bovine", by fans at least, due to their hooves. Cows have udders, why shouldn't Tau females have breasts? Is there a source I am not aware of that specifically says they do not?)

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#66 » Sep 18 2013 09:31

boomwolf wrote:The whole "female tau" thing...the way I see tau they are not even mammals, therefor females don't have breasts, nor are they immediately recognized by look, at least as long you aren't a tau-they probably know.
I mean, eldar and humans both being mammals is coincidence enough, not every "normally breeding" race need to falls under that classification, and we have no evidence that Tau does, so it least in my book they are about an equal split, we just can't really tell who is what.

Bitterman wrote:I dunno; I mean, Shadowsun, the only female Tau model we know of, has a distinctively feminine face. She's (very sensibly) wearing too much armour for us to get an idea of whether her body, and those of others Tau females, is similarly "feminine" (in human terms) but I really don't see any reason why it shouldn't be.

The humanoid body shape appears throughout 40K (and sci-fi more generally) because it is recognisable and familiar, not because there should be any realistic expectation that aliens will look like humans. Orks do not have females at all, but otherwise the same assumptions among these humanoid races always seem to hold. In the absence (AFAIK) of any evidence saying that Tau are different, it's a reasonable assumption that they are basically the same.

(After all, Tau are often - lazily - described as "bovine", by fans at least, due to their hooves. Cows have udders, why shouldn't Tau females have breasts? Is there a source I am not aware of that specifically says they do not?)

"Xenology" has a dissection of a female Aun in it. But this book is quite old and some of the material is no longer canon.
The female Aun has not the Y shape of the "nose" and hold a slit like any male aun, with the diamond shaped "bone".

About the "naughty bits", think that on mammal, rounded (so well-defined) breasts out of gestation and baby nurturing is an exception (look at cats, dogs, dolphins, apes, ...).
At this time, i can recall only two species that have proeminent breasts out of babies need periods: humans and cows.
Some theories talks about "selective evolution" by primitive men in the women shape, preferring "volutpuous" bodies above "flat" (this kind of "taste" selection may explain too why features like blonde hair color, almond eyes, hairless bodies, are very present in some populations and not others).

So why Tau female will have breasts, even if they are mammals-like ? I don't recall too if there is a source telling that tau are also viviparous, even mammals, so maybe breasts concept is not necessary.
And so the only sexual dimorphism is the face shape, even small differences in body shapes and overall females seems identical to males.
Xenology female Aun has a "male" chest. No other source IMO told anything about this specific body part (or other anatomic details, like organs: you know that Tau heart is also a liver (!) in Xenology).
But my own theory is that they are mammals-like (i.e. : babies need "milk"), and the breasts only grows when babies came: so both "rule of cool" and "rule of science" are valid :crafty:
Xenology reports that "reproductive anatomy [...] shows remarkable similarities"

Tau as "bovine" ? Not exact. Their "hooves" are more like elephants or dinosaurs: a foot without fingers with big toenails (they may be classified as "ungulate" by biologists but they are not hooved, see new pathfinders models and their better defined feets).
In an evolutionnary theory, based on "how Tau will appear if they came like a product of Earth evolution", I will suppose that the Tau were originally "primates", with fingers on hands and toes and a good ability for bipedal walk.
The origins of hooves may came because they originally live in forests near drylands. Climate changes and forest disappear, fast predators force the lower fingers of Tau to melt in hooves shapes to allow fast fleeing in bipedal station on hard grounds.
Xenology describe weird feet (defined fingers) and very different structure from what we have on models, so no clues here.

Bitterman
Shas

Post#67 » Sep 18 2013 09:40

Kael'yn wrote:Xenology describe weird feet (defined fingers) and very different structure from what we have on models, so no clues here.

This is a key point. Xenology was a cool book that I enjoyed (and I had forgotten that the Tau in it was female) but when it gets something as important and inarguable as that so wrong compared to the models, it's also hard to treat it as a reliable source for the shape and form of the parts of the Tau body typically not shown on the models.

bossfearless

Post#68 » Sep 18 2013 11:46

Screw logic, screw science and screw evolutionary precedent. My alien candy ravers have boobs because sexy alien girls are awesome. That's the way Kirk did it, the way Crichton did it, whatever Kevin Sorbo's character was on Andromeda, that's the way he did it too. That's the American Way, which makes these space boobs patriotic. 'Murrica, now with alien rave girls.

So, I'm assuming that I will receive some kind of shiny forum medal for ending the debate about Tau female junks once and for all in such a decisive manner. I'll just go get some internet polish for when that medal gets here.

Bitterman
Shas

Post#69 » Sep 18 2013 11:59

I can't think of a single argument against that. Fair one.

Orange
Shas

Post#70 » Sep 18 2013 12:36

Outside of the fact that Shatner is Canadian.

bossfearless

Post#71 » Sep 18 2013 12:41

@Orange: You leave that filthy Canada-heresy outside, mister! Shatner became American the moment he started bedding green women from Orion. It's the fast track to citizenship.

Mini-update, sans pictures:

I've been working on more than just tau girls, although to be fair this one also includes alien breasts. My Riptide (Now the XV117 Abyss) has been fully lit with one of the Powered Play alpha kits with red and orange LEDs. I built actual mountings for the shoulder guns out of spare hatches from Space Marine tanks, with a third hatch serving as the "collar" for the fire breathing dragon head. I nixed the idea of having a gun coming out of the mouth because it didn't end up looking right. Instead the thing has jaws off the front of an Ork warbike, though they've been filed down flatter since the Tau don't go for fangs and spikes as much. Still fierce looking. Also, I cut down some of the armor plates from the Dreadknight, thighs I think, and rigged them up as shin plates for the Abyss. The naked female pilot is shaping up well. I've posing her up out of the cockpit holding up a bonding knife as a sort of "rallying the troops" thing.

As for the Dreadknight, which will wind up as Amelia Pond's battlesuit "All In," I was looking at the idea of using some Defiler legs in place of the standard pair from the DK. It's all theory right now, though. I'll definitely have to go back to a regular self-wired LED circuit for this suit, since it's just too small for all the hardware that the alpha kit involves unless I build a great big base to hide it all. Aside from all this, I've painted up two more of the Desert Pimps and I'm happy with the way the squad is coming along. For once, I'm not trying just to get an entire army tournament-ready in a couple weeks. I'm content to take my time and actually enjoy painting each figure, and that's a great change for me.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#72 » Sep 18 2013 02:04

bossfearless wrote:Screw logic, screw science and screw evolutionary precedent. My alien candy ravers have boobs because sexy alien girls are awesome. That's the way Kirk did it, the way Crichton did it, whatever Kevin Sorbo's character was on Andromeda, that's the way he did it too. That's the American Way, which makes these space boobs patriotic. 'Murrica, now with alien rave girls.

So, I'm assuming that I will receive some kind of shiny forum medal for ending the debate about Tau female junks once and for all in such a decisive manner. I'll just go get some internet polish for when that medal gets here.

As long as 40K will be in a sci-fi setting, fun-geeks always face science-nerds. So was my contribution...
It's a debate no one can win or loose, like discussions about Wookies fur, Vulcan ears, or Dalek plungers ... ;)

Seriously, keep this cadre up ... (with better bandiwth because some images does not appear...)

And ... Liara T'Soni FTW !

Return to “Project Logs”